Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 8 of 21 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-03-13 02:06PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

some sloppy offence or what?

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi
How has Canada managed to give up a 3-spot twice in the same game against Japan?
only taking one with the hammer what gives Brad?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-03-13 02:22PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

looks like Scotland and Canada will be tied at top of leaderboard

and should they play this poorly in evening draw against Russia well?

04-03-13 02:53PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Seriously?

Japan?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 205.189.94.13

04-03-13 02:55PM
wakwak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wakwak Click here to Send wakwak a Private Message Find more posts by wakwak Add wakwak to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wakwak
Harvey Hacksmasher

Angry

wuhhh just happened?!!?

04-03-13 03:08PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

Re: Re: US team

quote:
Originally posted by GregJP

I think a more interesting question is where each of the teams would rank in the world top 300 or even 500. First I'd guess that 450 (at least) of the top 500 teams in the world would be Canadian.

Canada, Scotland, Sweden, and Norway would all be within the world top 20.

The Chinese team probably in the top 100. Maybe in the top 50. Maybe something similar for the Swiss.

After that it gets hard to estimate. I think there are easily 300 teams in Canada better than both Russia and Finland. Maybe 500. Maybe more.

I'm not sure what to say about the American team. The front end is terrible and some of the discussions they were having against Canada left me scratching my head. I think they'd have trouble even making provincials in provinces like Alberta.

I've been watching curling since the early 70s and it saddens me that so little progress has been made internationally. How many teams are there outside Canada that would have any chance of winning a Brier? 5? 10?

I think it's hilarious now to look back a couple pages. Oh yeah all these other teams suck. No one can touch Canada.

Yet, Japan and the Czechs, probably in the bottom half in this field beat the Canadian champs. I'm gonna go ahead and say every team here is top 100 in the world and probably six non-Canadian teams here are top 20.

Let's give these teams a little respect. Canada is great and still has a great chance to win the event, but the other teams can compete with them.

04-03-13 03:10PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

Re: Re: team canada wins 5

quote:
Originally posted by Flatfoot

I would suggest none of them had to compete in the way Jacobs had to in order to get there.

There are absolutely bad teams here. The Czechs, USA, Finland, and Russia would all have trouble making the playoffs in many club men's leagues in Canada. They are awful in both strategy and execution so please don't assimilate their qualifying with the qualifying of Jacobs as it's an insult to Jacobs.

Yeah, they can't win club men's leagues, but Japan and the Czechs can beat the Canadian champs. ok.

04-03-13 03:11PM
CurlingPiper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingPiper Click here to Send CurlingPiper a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingPiper Add CurlingPiper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingPiper
Harvey Hacksmasher

And let's just be thankful that the Czechs and Japan are going to have a tough road even getting to the playoffs. I'd rather them lose to the weaker teams if it means ranking higher than Scotland and China in eventual tiebreakers for positions.

04-03-13 03:13PM
peteski
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: team canada wins 5

quote:

I think the only real difference on the women's side is that other countries top couple of teams are very comparable to Canada's top womens teams, but the difference in depth is still staggering. If you pitted the 10th best Canadian women's team against the 10th best team from every other country it wouldn't be a contest. The playing field at the very very top is now fairly level in women's curling, but the depth is still an issue.

It would be weird if this was not the case considering 95% or whatever of the world's curlers come from Canada.

04-03-13 03:23PM
peteski
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Re: Re: US team

quote:
Originally posted by Oly M. Pics

NONE is the correct answer. For any teams outside of Canada to have a chance, B.C. Ab. Sask. Man. NFLD, and Ont. would have to not show up.

Yeah, none, even though two bottom half teams have beat this year's Brier winner.

I'm sure most top teams would agree that Sweden would be a serious contender. Norway, Scotland, China, Switzerland and Denmark would all be playoff contenders.

04-03-13 03:26PM
Unregistered

Interesting that canada's worst 2 games have come against 2 of the teams at the bottom..Perhaps serious concern for the game against russia?

Is it possible at all that team jacobs is underestimating/has underesitmated the czech republic and japan and thats why they lost?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

04-03-13 03:34PM
Unregistered

Russian

Let's see Russia is 1-7, do u think Jacobs can actually win this one. Howard, Martin & Stoughton don't lose to teams like this. Canada should be undefeated if it was not for their ineptness when it matterd most.

Gold medal? touch & go, not too confident.

04-03-13 03:34PM
Unregistered

Re: Re: Re: team canada wins 5

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

Yeah, they can't win club men's leagues, but Japan and the Czechs can beat the Canadian champs. ok.

One game. His point was over the course of a week. Most of these teams wouldn't do well in a brier. They'd be the Yukon/NWT or PEI. They can win a few games, but often they are sneak up wins where the opposition didn't take them seriously. Canada will look completely different against Edin.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 208.72.122.219

04-03-13 03:40PM
Unregistered

Re: Russian

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Let's see Russia is 1-7, do u think Jacobs can actually win this one. Howard, Martin & Stoughton don't lose to teams like this. Canada should be undefeated if it was not for their ineptness when it matterd most.

Martin is still trying to figure out the rocks from the Brier four weeks later.... Howard and Stoughton are still trying to find body parts after Northern Ontario smashed them like fine china.

04-03-13 03:43PM
peteski
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Re: Re: team canada wins 5

quote:

One game. His point was over the course of a week. Most of these teams wouldn't do well in a brier. They'd be the Yukon/NWT or PEI. They can win a few games, but often they are sneak up wins where the opposition didn't take them seriously. Canada will look completely different against Edin.

You're wrong about this. Yes, the Czechs or Japan couldn't win the Brier, but if they can beat Jacobs, they're probably better than the bottom teams at the Brier. The bottom teams at the Brier never beat the top teams. It is certainly not true that most of these teams would be PEI.

04-03-13 03:43PM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:
Canada should be undefeated if it was not for their ineptness when it matterd most.

Right. Canada isn't getting beaten; it's beating itself. But of course this is the world championship and if you want to win gold you had better be in top form when needed. You throw eight rocks an end. Even six perfect throws can be wrecked by two stinkers.

04-03-13 03:45PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Re: US team

quote:
I'm gonna go ahead and say every team here is top 100 in the world and probably six non-Canadian teams here are top 20.
6? Really? I'll spot you Murdoch/Brewster, Edin and Ulsrud. I can't think of 3 others that would be in the top 20 worldwide.

04-03-13 03:52PM
Unregistered

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: team canada wins 5

quote:

You're wrong about this. Yes, the Czechs or Japan couldn't win the Brier, but if they can beat Jacobs, they're probably better than the bottom teams at the Brier. The bottom teams at the Brier never beat the top teams. It is certainly not true that most of these teams would be PEI.

A bit of hyperbole on my end, but my point being they wouldn't make the playoffs. Only teams here I think would have a chance are Murdoch and Edin. And the fourth seed at most I feel. I'm not concerned about Jacobs, we've seen them turn it up when it's mattered.

04-03-13 03:54PM
Unregistered

quote:
6? Really? I'll spot you Murdoch/Brewster, Edin and Ulsrud. I can't think of 3 others that would be in the top 20 worldwide.

Michel and Stjerne on their best are definately within the top 20 teams in the world. I might even be tempted to throw DeCruz and Eriksson in there.

04-03-13 03:56PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I agree those very experienced teams who have played at the world level do know how to beat them. I think the lack of experience at the world level tossed in with some severe underestimation of the opponent is what happened today and yesterday. A lower ranked team will often play their best game against a top team and then sink into oblivion.

I do hope Canada's coach gives them a good talking too and helps them to overcome this bad habit of losing to the "lower" ranked team. Time to call in Earl

04-03-13 03:59PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
...the David Murdoch experiment is starting to sour.

From the viewpoint of a curling instructor and coach, this looked like a disaster from the start. Doesn't the whole idea of rotating the squad go against everything that is known about team dynamics and performance? One day third, one day second...different team-mates in different positions. Skips have to consciously re-adjust to the deliveries of a new set of players every game. Not a BIG deal, but a deal. At any competitive level, such little things make the difference between consistently winning and losing. I don't get it. Team dynamics are built on confidence, trust, and predictability, and teams with good dynamics play beyond the sum of their abilities. (Works in club or bonspiel play as well as at the elite level.) The Scotland team has great individual playmakers, but dysfunctional team dynamics by design in this event. Luckily, their talent may trump their coaching this week.

Cheers.

04-03-13 04:00PM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:

Right. The commentator in the Scot/Nor game in her Scottish brogue referred to the teams as "the best of the best". Nonsense of course. It's the best from a number of countries whose curlers at one extreme number in the hundreds of thousands to countries where the numbers of curlers are just a few dozen. If this were in fact "the best of the best" at least half the teams would be from Canada

04-03-13 04:07PM
Unregistered

yeah well the beauty of a world championship is that in a team event each country only has one rep. It would incredibly stupid to have anything else

04-03-13 04:14PM
gavinboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gavinboy Click here to Send gavinboy a Private Message Find more posts by gavinboy Add gavinboy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gavinboy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Wow!! Those little Japanese guys almost made Ryan Fry cry in the fouth end when he missed both his shots. I wonder if it's because the Japanese were curling so well or for the simple fact that they towered over him?

04-03-13 04:20PM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:

On the order of merit, Edin is #5, Ulsrud is #10, Michel is #12, Brewster is #14, Stjerne is #18 and China is #22. The order of merit isn't the be all end all of course, but that looks pretty close to me.

04-03-13 04:24PM
Unregistered

Re: Re: Russian

quote:

Martin is still trying to figure out the rocks from the Brier four weeks later.... Howard and Stoughton are still trying to find body parts after Northern Ontario smashed them like fine china.

I guess you can't actually grasp the meaning of the statement. Martin, Stoughton, & Howard don't lose to teams like that in the WORLD'S. Can u hear mean.... the WORLD'S.