Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-13-15 10:54AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Other amateur sports have this format which maybe could be considered by the CCA. As they seem to be complying with the equal access as decreed by Sports Canada - it works like this:

If you finished in the top 4 the previous year you get an invite back to the Nationals

There are regional competitions held - the top 5 get to go to nationals no matter what province they represent.

Curling would have to adjust but it could work and save some teams expensive long trips for only 2 days of competition.

Of course the Provinces will have to buy in as it would dramatically change their playdown structure too. But in Ontario, there is talk about getting rid of zone competition anyway.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-13-15 11:01AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

I think the new format is a great step forward. For years people have complained about provinces/territories being in the Brier/Scotties with also-ran teams. This has allowed a process to ensure that from the bottom crowd the best (least worst?) gets in.

Any why would there be more than 12 teams? More costly, more cumbersome. And the additions would just be the also-rans, cluttering up the tourney.

02-13-15 12:23PM
ronbro is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ronbro Find more posts by ronbro Add ronbro to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ronbro
Harvey Hacksmasher

Relegation

I think the main problem here is defining what the Brier/Scotties should be. Is it a competition to determine who should represent Canada at the worlds, or a national curling party. If the latter then yes -every Prov/Terr should be represented. If it the former then only the top 12 teams (as that seems to be the best # of teams) should be there. After watching and being involved for over 50 yrs I have come to the point of indecision also on what these events should be producing. Why can't they still produce a National Champion but not be the rep at the Worlds?? Can another competition do the same but with a better top team representation? Will take some bold thinking and decisions for sure. Ronald

02-13-15 12:37PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I see a flaw in the relegation system.
Though I am a supporter of the system, I think that it is just going to marginalize the territories.

The losers of the relegation round are destined to be in it next year. I believe that the relegation round should be played AFTER the Scotties and the Brier so that the actual team that is RELEGATED has to play these other teams. Otherwise, a NEW team from that province, and probably a stronger team (or possibly at least) will be playing the territories (or the losers of the previous relegation round).

This way, the relegated team has a year to prepare. Is playing a team that has come off the ice and is game for slaughter. Also, the winner of the relegation round has a year to prepare for the next season's event. That is fair.

EDIT: It also means that the newly relegated prov/territory will MISS ONE YEAR. That is also fair.

Thoughts?

Last edited by nelski on 02-13-15 at 12:41PM

02-13-15 03:43PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
I see a flaw in the relegation system.
Though I am a supporter of the system, I think that it is just going to marginalize the territories.

The losers of the relegation round are destined to be in it next year. I believe that the relegation round should be played AFTER the Scotties and the Brier so that the actual team that is RELEGATED has to play these other teams. Otherwise, a NEW team from that province, and probably a stronger team (or possibly at least) will be playing the territories (or the losers of the previous relegation round).

This way, the relegated team has a year to prepare. Is playing a team that has come off the ice and is game for slaughter. Also, the winner of the relegation round has a year to prepare for the next season's event. That is fair.

EDIT: It also means that the newly relegated prov/territory will MISS ONE YEAR. That is also fair.

Thoughts?

That approach has equal problems. Works great the first year as the two teams who didn't make the big show hang around until the Friday/Saturday of the big show and play the relegation stuff. One team wins and what do you do the following year? The two relegated provinces/territories run a provincial/territorial championship to send a team who you now know is going **only** for the last weekend's relegation playoff. No thanks - not interested in doing that at all!

02-13-15 08:28PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by FollowingAlong
No thanks - not interested in doing that at all!

Of course not. THAT is the penalty. You REALLY ARE relegated. One year off, no matter HOW GOOD your next year's champion is. That champ wins the province and plays to get the province BACK into the big game. Teams not interested in playing for that... oh well. A provincial champion and savior is not a bad legacy either. And just win the province the following year.

02-13-15 09:05PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

just a curious question, what would happen if team Canada finished last and faced relegation the following year. that would mean the Brier or Scotties winning team would be relegated the next year and have to play their way in.

02-13-15 09:21PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

No, because it will be this years winner that's next year's team Canada...... even if they break up and come back with 3 part time players and a BC skip!!

Last edited by IN-OFF-FOR-2 on 02-13-15 at 09:24PM

02-14-15 12:48AM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:

Of course not. THAT is the penalty. You REALLY ARE relegated. One year off, no matter HOW GOOD your next year's champion is. That champ wins the province and plays to get the province BACK into the big game. Teams not interested in playing for that... oh well. A provincial champion and savior is not a bad legacy either. And just win the province the following year.

Have at 'er. We'll see how well that works.

02-14-15 11:19AM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlwalker
Hitting Paint

Brier vs other

In terms of whether the Brier winner should rep Canada at the worlds..I think the answer is still yes. In my opinion the other events are successes only because of the Brier and it's residency rules. My logic is this.
Most people, I think, enjoy watching team sports when they have some to cheer for. They cheer for the Leafs, the Habs etc. because they represent their "community" in some way. Even though the players on that team may not be born there they do live there and become part of the community. The Brier imparts that sense of belonging to the teams representing their provinces. Without that they become just mercenaries and the games between them just exhibitions.

As for the religion, I am not against it as the size of the event has to be managed but it should be limited to keep the principle of one per province intact.

Would another event produce a better champion. Maybe. But if we carry that through wouldn't the worlds produce a better champion if only the top teams were in it (multiple canadian teams, a couple from scotland, sweden, switzerland etc.) Probably yes too but would that grow and keep interest in the rest of the world?

02-14-15 08:35PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

It's funny how this relegation debate is rising its ugly head again. This was supposed to have been dealt with years ago when the issue of relegation first came up. Apparently the "message was never delivered to the masses" until the last year.

I wonder why?

02-14-15 09:42PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Is that sarcastic? If you know the real answer, many of us would like to know.

02-14-15 10:22PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Nope, not a bit of sarcasm.

02-15-15 01:16PM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

I guess the Brier/Sotties could be filled using ranking points - as used in golf or tennis tournies. It would get a much better quality field but at least eight of the 12 teams would come from West of the Lakehead.

Of course it wouldn't be a national championship any more as we know it in curling, would be less attractive to the fans and more importantly, to TSN.

With the playdowns allowing all provs/terrs to get a chance to get in we have a good set up now.

Now, I can't see it as being practical but separately a ranking system could be used to select the teams to play for representing Canada at the worlds but that if you do that winning the Brier and Scotties become hollow victories.

02-15-15 02:12PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i wish people would stop suggesting curling copy other sports methods. curling should stick with the way its been doing things, no need to copy anyone else

02-15-15 05:59PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

To be honest, and I think most Canadian curlers feel the same, in that who gives a **** about the curling worlds? As long as we stay competitive (i.e., we keep our spot in the Olympics without having to go through qualifiers), then does it matter?

The Brier and the Scotties will always have a representative that will be competitive at the worlds (if not win it). And those events pull the entire country of curlers together and generate interest in all parts of the country beyond the just once every four years that the Olympics might.

And they give those second string teams a dream of making it... and does allow for second tier teams to use the event to work their way up and providing a pool of additional curlers to move up to the top tier.

The Olympics seems to be where all the focus is, and I think we have a really good process for selecting the best Canadian teams for it. So why screw around with the Brier/Scotties any more than we already have?

02-15-15 06:06PM
freezetothehack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for freezetothehack Click here to Send freezetothehack a Private Message Find more posts by freezetothehack Add freezetothehack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
freezetothehack
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by JustAnotherHack
To be honest, and I think most Canadian curlers feel the same, in that who gives a **** about the curling worlds? As long as we stay competitive (i.e., we keep our spot in the Olympics without having to go through qualifiers), then does it matter?

The Brier and the Scotties will always have a representative that will be competitive at the worlds (if not win it). And those events pull the entire country of curlers together and generate interest in all parts of the country beyond the just once every four years that the Olympics might.

And they give those second string teams a dream of making it... and does allow for second tier teams to use the event to work their way up and providing a pool of additional curlers to move up to the top tier.

The Olympics seems to be where all the focus is, and I think we have a really good process for selecting the best Canadian teams for it. So why screw around with the Brier/Scotties any more than we already have?

Shussssssh......Warren knows best!

02-16-15 08:59AM
Island Roger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Island Roger Find more posts by Island Roger Add Island Roger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Island Roger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Couldn't care less about the worlds. I do have a question though ..... what does the CCA have in place in case the host province gets relegated ?

02-17-15 02:45AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

Host province is guaranteed entry into the event. The lowest-ranked, non-host province will be sent to the qualification round.

02-17-15 11:57AM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

As for the debate about the Brier/Scotties winner going to the World's, when was the last time that one of the "BIG" rinks didn't win the Brier/Scotties?

Exactly...

02-18-15 12:50PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

The Death Blow

Being a spoiler has always been part of the dynamic of round robin play. A team, out of contention, can defeat a team that otherwise would have qualified for the playoffs, or for a tiebreaker, and elicit a sigh of relief and gratitude from the team in the wings, depending on the outcome for their advancement. The spoiler is a special team characteristic.

But now, we have another dynamic. The death blow. This is where a team that has qualified, or is safely in the middle of the pack, defeats a team on the brink of relegation. A win by the struggling team will keep them out of trouble. A loss by the death blow slayer has no effect on their position, this year or next.

How does that feel? The before-game, locker room chat might go, "Let's put them DOWN team! Let's send them to relegation BigTme. Yeah." Is it really, "just another game"? Is there a pang of guilt in the heart of the spoiler, or the caster of the death blow?

EDIT: Has anyone else begun checking the bottom of the standings to see who will become lambs for the slaughter? The relegations tiebreakers will be interesting games.

Last edited by nelski on 02-18-15 at 12:54PM

02-18-15 01:03PM
Donr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donr Click here to Send Donr a Private Message Find more posts by Donr Add Donr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donr
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
As for the debate about the Brier/Scotties winner going to the World's, when was the last time that one of the "BIG" rinks didn't win the Brier/Scotties?

Exactly...

2004 Mark Dacey

02-18-15 02:35PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Re: The Death Blow

quote:
Being a spoiler has always been part of the dynamic of round robin play. A team, out of contention, can defeat a team that otherwise would have qualified for the playoffs, or for a tiebreaker, and elicit a sigh of relief and gratitude from the team in the wings, depending on the outcome for their advancement. The spoiler is a special team characteristic.

But now, we have another dynamic. The death blow. This is where a team that has qualified, or is safely in the middle of the pack, defeats a team on the brink of relegation. A win by the struggling team will keep them out of trouble. A loss by the death blow slayer has no effect on their position, this year or next.

How does that feel? The before-game, locker room chat might go, "Let's put them DOWN team! Let's send them to relegation BigTme. Yeah." Is it really, "just another game"? Is there a pang of guilt in the heart of the spoiler, or the caster of the death blow?

EDIT: Has anyone else begun checking the bottom of the standings to see who will become lambs for the slaughter? The relegations tiebreakers will be interesting games.

Quebec and BC better get on winning streaks or they could be playing in the pre-quals next year...NWT or Yukon could easily beat these two teams. Let's hope the Northern teams come back!

02-18-15 02:44PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

so whatever team finishes last this year gets relegated right?

safe to say that bc getting relegated would be huge given the proud history and list of great champions the province has produced

i thought lauren mann could do well here but them doing so poorly here just proves the theory that without larouche quebec is screwed

02-18-15 03:41PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
so whatever team finishes last this year gets relegated right?

What would happen if Team Canada ever finished last?