Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2019 Women's Worlds- Silkeborg

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-19-19 06:26PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Jamie Sinclair May be Canada’s best women’s curler.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-19-19 07:32PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
its not over yet.

its important fans dont abandon them either. if your a true canadian fan you stick with them even when they struggle. in fact you should support them more now because they really need it

instead of coming on here and finding different ways of tearing them down whether it be full out by declaring them to be not top level curlers or the way legend does and post unfortunate pieces of trivia.

i still believe they can turn this around. i also believe one good win can kick start them. first or second is out the door now but i still believe they can get a top 6.

6-6 might not look great but its just the getting there they need to do. china and sweden look good but i dont believe anyone else is out of their reach and im not saying a win over either one is out of the question entirely

Agreed -- I'm sticking right with Team Chelsea no matter the outcome. Some people forget that this team has only been together as a complete unit since December, so to get to this event, going through the Scotties, is a feat in itself.

Very nice heartfelt post by Team Casey:

https://twitter.com/TeamCareyCurl/s...112915201175552

03-19-19 08:03PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Certainly not over for Team Chels . . . they're all tremendous curlers and won the STOH fair 'n square vs. teams like R Homan, J Jones, C Scheidegger & R Silvernagle

Still time to regroup and re-program. Need to win one of 3 games vs. the super teams (Sweden, Russia, China) and the expected walkover vs. Denmark.

That will only get them to 5-6 - they need so badly to thrash Russia & China to get the thing to 6-6 and hope they squeeze into the playoff scenario - its a whole new game in the playoffs.

03-19-19 08:17PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

They have a tough road ahead. need to get on a roll like Sydney. 7-5 should get them a playoff spot, outside chance 6-6 with a good draw the button score, no tie breakers.
With the changing tricky ice, put the stop watches in the garbage and just read the speed of the rocks.

03-19-19 09:03PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

What has struck me more in this spiel than any before, is that Russ and Vic, who talk and explain non- stop, have used the word "rocks" or "ice" in almost every sentence and I have concluded that throwing , sweeping and line calls have a lot less impact on the outcome than I would of thought. Hence , the curlers cannot be faulted or lauded on the outcomes, since bad/changing ice and unmatched/sanded rocks are responsible for most shots not ending up in right locations.

03-19-19 09:17PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
What has struck me more in this spiel than any before, is that Russ and Vic, who talk and explain non- stop, have used the word "rocks" or "ice" in almost every sentence and I have concluded that throwing , sweeping and line calls have a lot less impact on the outcome than I would of thought. Hence , the curlers cannot be faulted or lauded on the outcomes, since bad/changing ice and unmatched/sanded rocks are responsible for most shots not ending up in right locations.

Also, when it started Russ said the last time these stones were used was at the mixed doubles at the Olympics and the ice maker DID NOT sand, resurface, retouch etc etc etc the rocks. Every major event they usually re-sand the rocks at the beginning, sometimes even twice half way through. However today, I noticed 5 times as many rocks crashed on guards than the previous days. Did they sand the rocks and not tell anyone? Did they sand them and tell the teams and they didn't adapt? Either way, same for all the teams but Canada still confused half way through.

03-19-19 09:31PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

maybe they need to put Jill in for a couple of games.

03-19-19 09:46PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

Jill will NOT see the ice until Team Carey is told they aren't playing meaningful games anymore - - - Dana & Rochel are in pretty good condition - they'd take it as a slight if Jill was inserted into the lineup - - - - and Jill won't be going in for Sarah Wilkes or Chels, to be sure.

Backup skip = Sarah Wilkes
Backup 3rd - Dana Ferguson
Backup front-ender - Jill

03-19-19 09:49PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

OR, have Jill give them the truth pep talk. You're better than 90% of teams here, start playing like it. Not Sure if daddy coach is working. Sometimes you need to hear the truth. The rest of her team are afraid to speak their minds, poor Sarah walking on egg shells giving suggestions, even on her own shots. You can see and hear it on the ice. Chelsea has to take the input, you're not always right, as proven so far.

03-19-19 10:00PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Sorry, I'm doing my best to try and stay positive, but it's getting more difficult. If you're having trouble with weight, as proven so far, try a different tactic, play a hitting game. The old saying the definition of insane is doing the same thing over and over and over expecting a different result!

Mix it up, Do the unexpected.

03-19-19 10:21PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido

What do you mean Maybe the best? No, she's Absolutely the best and she has the track record to prove it.

2018 - 2019 Season

Finished last in the "A" pool at the World Cup.

Failed to reach the Playoffs in the Elite 10.

Failed to reach the Playoffs in the Masters.

Failed to reach the Playoffs in the Tour Challenge.

Failed to reach the Playoffs in the National.

Currently ranked 28th on the WCT. Winnings of $19,000.

Not too shabby, eh?

03-19-19 10:29PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by guido

Once she has declared her nationality, my question is can she ever switch back? Similar to Brett Hull denouncing his birth place of Canada to play for USA when he was shunned from team Canada back in the day. Once you "announce" your nationality at a worlds or international or Olympics, that's your country, similar to the old days of wheel of of fortune, once you buy a prize, it's yours to keep.......google it for the younger folks.

03-20-19 12:47AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer

What do you mean Maybe the best? No, she's Absolutely the best and she has the track record to prove it.

2018 - 2019 Season

Finished last in the "A" pool at the World Cup.

Failed to reach the Playoffs in the Elite 10.

Failed to reach the Playoffs in the Masters.

Failed to reach the Playoffs in the Tour Challenge.

Failed to reach the Playoffs in the National.

Currently ranked 28th on the WCT. Winnings of $19,000.

Not too shabby, eh?

Do you realize that one curler doesn’t make a good team. Could you imagine if she had any of the top teams frontvends and thirds with her. She has been carrying USA on her back every game. Great shot maker.

03-20-19 12:49AM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Once she has declared her nationality, my question is can she ever switch back? Similar to Brett Hull denouncing his birth place of Canada to play for USA when he was shunned from team Canada back in the day. Once you "announce" your nationality at a worlds or international or Olympics, that's your country, similar to the old days of wheel of of fortune, once you buy a prize, it's yours to keep.......google it for the younger folks.

I believe Its a 3 year wait to play as a Canadian.

03-20-19 03:50AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Only one real dominant all-star type team in Canada, Rachel Homan and they failed to secure the Scotties title by 2 shots and a few inches at STOH.

Homan team always prepared, can play variety of ice conditions, realize ice is same for both teams.

Team Jennifer Jones as well prepared as anyone in any field but skip is going thru a clear degrade in terms of shots made, sustained percentages, etc. Combined with some fallbacks at 3rd & 2nd Jones could even make the playoff round at STOH

Team Einarson - pretty scattered outfit with communication problems that make Chelsea Carey's communications look decent.

Team Scheidegger or Team Silvernagle should be able to advance to world playoff with 6-6 to 7-5 records. Their kryptonite would be fresh faces on the scene with little to no international experience.

McCarville, a professional steady-eddy would deliver a nice account of herself immo.

Right now for Chelsea Carey - EVERY GAME IS A MEDAL GAME.

03-20-19 08:31AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards

Very nice heartfelt post by Team Casey:

https://twitter.com/TeamCareyCurl/s...112915201175552

I thought I'd read the post by Team Carey and it seems I'm blocked. Don't know why. I've never posted anything that would make this action necessary. Strange.

03-20-19 09:15AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:

Have a listen to the Stone + Straw podcast with Jamie. They talk at length about how she ended up representing the USA. It's a very good discussion: https://player.fm/series/stone-stra...-jamie-sinclair

03-20-19 09:45AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Didn't appreciate Vic's call on China's last rock, 2nd end. He was virtually begging for a miss - Canada was lying 2 near the 4 foot and China had to promote a 3rd stone to the 4ft.

Vic was screaming like a banshee that "its got a long way to curl - when in fact the shot was delivered pretty much as designed, the Chinese scoring a game tying 1 vs. going down 3-0.

I don't mind "homers" in sports like baseball, hockey & CFL football. They're basically hired by teams and told they'll be fired if they don't "Hep Up" the local side and make things sound better than they are.

But curling? Its never been owned by local broadcasters. Its the last vestige of impartial coverage. Not necessarily stoic English flowery language but still detached from cheering for the teams.

Vic got caught cheering for Team Carey - on a Chinese running stone.

The only thing TSN knows is that if Chels Carey doesn't make it to the playoff round, TSN ratings will take a severe and utter crash!

03-20-19 11:55AM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Only one real dominant all-star type team in Canada, Rachel Homan and they failed to secure the Scotties title by 2 shots and a few inches at STOH.

Homan team always prepared, can play variety of ice conditions, realize ice is same for both teams.

Team Jennifer Jones as well prepared as anyone in any field but skip is going thru a clear degrade in terms of shots made, sustained percentages, etc. Combined with some fallbacks at 3rd & 2nd Jones could even make the playoff round at STOH

Team Einarson - pretty scattered outfit with communication problems that make Chelsea Carey's communications look decent.

Team Scheidegger or Team Silvernagle should be able to advance to world playoff with 6-6 to 7-5 records. Their kryptonite would be fresh faces on the scene with little to no international experience.

McCarville, a professional steady-eddy would deliver a nice account of herself immo.

Right now for Chelsea Carey - EVERY GAME IS A MEDAL GAME.

So for those of you who have been considering playing the Manitoba Legend Drinking Game and wondering how it works, lets use this post as an example.

First off, you have single drinks for:

a)mentioning Rachel Homan (or Jones) in a thread that has nothing to do with them

b)taking a passive aggressive swipe at Team Cary's communication methods

Second, there is a special double shot bonus for introducing a post which is designed to totally take the topic thread sideways.

I mean, seriously, what does any of the above drivel have to do with the Women's Worlds? other than allowing ML to heap praise on Homan and Jones and then scorn of Carey.

But this is how the MLDG works and, as you can see, after one post and the equivalent of four shots, you'd be well on your way to passing out in the course of one or two ML posts. Sparing you further pain of enduring more.

03-20-19 12:06PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

So for those of you who have been considering playing the Manitoba Legend Drinking Game and wondering how it works, lets use this post as an example.

a)mentioning Rachel Homan (or Jones) in a thread that has nothing to do with them

Second, there is a special double shot bonus for introducing a post which is designed to totally take the topic thread sideways.

I mean, seriously, what does any of the above drivel have to do with the Women's Worlds? other than allowing ML to heap praise on Homan and Jones and then scorn of Carey.

But this is how the MLDG works and, as you can see, after one post and the equivalent of four shots, you'd be well on your way to passing out in the course of one or two ML posts. Sparing you further pain of enduring more.

I think my liver hurts just at the thought of taking that many shots.

Agreed with you on ML. Even when it seems he's "praising" JJ, he puts her down by suggesting that she's ready for retirement. Hello, ML, the game's not just for the 30 and under crowd!

03-20-19 12:12PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Nice gritty win today. Made a few more shots. Still a ton of teams at 3 and 4 losses. I like their chance to make the playoffs, probably 5th or 6th

03-20-19 12:23PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Nice gritty win today. Made a few more shots. Still a ton of teams at 3 and 4 losses. I like their chance to make the playoffs, probably 5th or 6th

Huge win today. Still looked a little shaky at times. Will need to pick it up to another level for Switz-Russia-Sweden games coming up.

03-20-19 02:21PM
Jayelle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jayelle Find more posts by Jayelle Add Jayelle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jayelle
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

A better option that’s not as hard on your liver would be to scroll past the poster(s) that annoy you. Why waste your time reading what you consider to be drivel?

It’s been my experience that some people thrive on attention whether it’s negative or positive. Hard to do, I know, but ignoring attention seekers is the worst thing you can do to them. They thrive on attention; they wither away without it.

03-20-19 02:21PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

What is the tiebreaker system at the conclusion of the round robin? I know that the last-stone-draws are involved, but is there anything else like head-to-head in the round robin?

03-20-19 03:02PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Carey & Co. picked themselves off of yesterday's canvas and put in a near-brilliant affair vs. a very strong Chinese team this a.m.

Too bad thats Carey's only match of the day.

Wilkes & Chelsea were putting their stones in all the right places - not much to doubt there. They put a ton of pressure on the Chinese skip - who up to this game was one of the top 2 or 3 in the tourney. When you put routine pressure on other skips (ie. torment them) you eventually get misses.

Carey tormented China - and got enough misses to get the win.

4 games left - she'll need 3 wins to certify playoffs, 2 wins might get a tie-breaker.

Russia & Sweden (especially the latter) will be tough. Switzerland is having similar problems to Canada. Tirinzoni and Paetz are obviously not taking to each other. They could be on or off - same can be said for Chelsea. Other game is vs. Distracted Danish Blondes where Canada should be heavy fovorites - but you never know when Dupont goes nuts with great shots!