Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2015 Ford World Men's Curling Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 13 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-24-15 02:53AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

2015 Ford World Men's Curling Championship

Okay folks, here we go! Only two major events left for us on the curling season. Better get in all the TV games you can while we still have some!

I thought I'd kick off the Worlds discussion here. Should be an interesting week - Team Canada had a magical run at the Brier but they've played very little this season, and even less in this configuration! Thankfully, all four players are extremely experienced and know what it takes to win. Plus they've got their "not-so-secret" weapon in Carter, who is a master of team dynamics and seems to always know what to say to make everybody around him better. We've got four strong players who have gone through fire together and should be top contenders for the World title. If Pat can continue playing like he did at the Brier, these guys should be in the final for sure.

I think Canada and Sweden are well clear of the remaining teams. Norway are the defending world champions, but really haven't played much this season and have looked less than their best. Look for a Canada-Sweden final - and if that's the case, flip a coin as far as predictions go. This should be a battle.

The exciting thing is I think there is a lot of parity - much like in the women's field this year - and we could see a tough race for the playoffs. China and Japan should be close to playoff spots. Norway should be able to reach the top 4 if they play to their usual level. Switzerland is new, but we should know better than to discount anyone who emerges from that program. USA might be able to crack a spot this year - I'll certainly be cheering for that result as that program seems to really need a flash of hope.

Czech Republic are good when they're on their game. Italy has their strongest combination in years.

Scotland was disappointing last year and I don't see a much better performance coming from Ewan McDonald. Murdoch and Brewster must both be disappointed in their seasons, failing to qualify for either the Worlds or Euros. Russia and Finland will gain good experience and enjoy some Keith's.

Here's hoping for a good week, good crowds, good ice, and good conversation here. The Women's thread was an absolute trainwreck and I hope we can hold ourselves to a more respectful discussion.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-24-15 05:52AM
curlo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlo Click here to Send curlo a Private Message Find more posts by curlo Add curlo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlo
Harvey Hacksmasher

any team can beat any team in this field

03-24-15 08:17AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

The favorites:

Canada - tons of experience here. 3 quarters of this team return from last year wanting to make up for a disappointing 4th. if pat plays anything like he did in the brier as skip then they will be hard to stop

Sweden - probably second faves after canada. had a good season , still lost more than normal but won the euros and finalist last week so building momentum

Norway - struggled at euros and have been off this year but still one of the best teams here

The Dark horses:

United States - lots of talent and experience on this team. in a field such as this they could get the US back on the podium

Japan - can they repeat last year or was that a one off? thats the biggest question here

The unknowns:

Scotland - tons of experience here and world champion gold on this team but they only play part time and last year struggled.They could do well here, they could also struggle for wins again

China - havent had the best season. usually good for somewhere between 5 and 6 wins. could they maybe break through this year?

Czech republic - have come close before to playoffs and always seem to have 1 or 2 upset wins. They never play much on tour so its hard to judge form coming in.

the others:

Switzerland - shock win out of switzerland for this team. they are the 3rd best team in switzerland right now but have no experience at this level. that didnt hurt alina patz much but i dont think they will be going on that kind of run here

Russia - solid young team and did respectably at euros but dont see them being a factor here

Italy - a team who did great at euros then fizzled at playoffs. interesting to see if they can find that kind of form here. if they can they might vault into dark horse for a playoff spot.

Finland - they have had a good season on tour and they might start well but much like the women i expect that after a possible hot start they will fade away

03-24-15 08:48AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
The favorites:

Canada - tons of experience here. 3 quarters of this team return from last year wanting to make up for a disappointing 4th. if pat plays anything like he did in the brier as skip then they will be hard to stop

Sweden - probably second faves after canada. had a good season , still lost more than normal but won the euros and finalist last week so building momentum

Norway - struggled at euros and have been off this year but still one of the best teams here...

Certainly these are the three to watch. Nice to have it in a decent time zone. As well as being a Scot I am a big fan of Ewan MacDonald and I hope "my guys" do well.

As for last team standing, well I thought Jenn would whizz through in Sapporo so I will refrain from predictions.

03-24-15 10:57AM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

This is the World Mens Championship...ladies were done a week ago!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Sad as it is for me to say this but Simmons and Morris are far steadier back-end performers than Lawes & Jones.

Lawes and Jones have proven to slump more than occasionally and enable lesser teams to compete with them or completely TKO them.

Sad as it is for me to say but you just never can comment on anything without bringing up Jones and Co. OMG it is just relentless and over the top. My bet is you will have a train wreck on this thread too before it gets to page 2!!!

03-24-15 08:29PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

I just hope that the airport doesn't get "snowed out"

03-25-15 07:55AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

teams should start arriving today or tomorrow if they can

03-25-15 09:22AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
I just hope that the airport doesn't get "snowed out"

Only flurries forecast over next 36 hours.

03-28-15 08:31AM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

Ok, so the 3 title contenders are Canada, Sweden and Norway. As to who will grab the 4th playoff spot it's anybody's guess, The young Swiss could do well, I think the US has a good shot at it, Scotland has a chance, but they are weaker than past years, it's a different Chinese team than past years, so they are unknown, Italy could do well and surprise as they had a strong Euro's, the Czech team has been here before, but have under performed, I hope they make it this time and Japan have a chance too. I will say that certainly Finland and Russia will not make the playoffs.

03-28-15 08:34AM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

Previewing draw 1: I have Japan over Russia, pretty easy pick, The Swiss over Czech's, tough pick, Italy over Scotland believe it or not and Sweden over Finalnd easily.

03-28-15 08:39AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

On a side note it's pretty amazing how team Stjerne have fallen off the curling map, a couple of years ago they were at least playoff contenders, then last year they finished worst at the Worlds, then this year they finished bottom at the Euro's and got relegated, what happened there.

03-28-15 09:13AM
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner
Previewing draw 1: I have Japan over Russia, pretty easy pick, The Swiss over Czech's, tough pick, Italy over Scotland believe it or not and Sweden over Finalnd easily.

Don't sell the Scots short...but if they can't get by Italy it could be a long, dreary week for them.

03-28-15 09:41AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
On a side note it's pretty amazing how team Stjerne have fallen off the curling map, a couple of years ago they were at least playoff contenders, then last year they finished worst at the Worlds, then this year they finished bottom at the Euro's and got relegated, what happened there.

inconsistancy i guess. you look at his junior years and he was always one good year, one bad year too. never anything consistant.

anyway the team have dropped mikkel krause and johnny frederiksen has come back on the rink at 3rd . he's committed to a 3 year cycle leading to 2018.

03-28-15 09:44AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

I agree with most of your picks

Japan should beat russia
sweden over finland is an easy one to call
scotland v.s italy is pretty tough. italy was great at euros but it remains to be seen if that was a one off. Retornaz has been around for forever so his experience should help calm the young ones down.that one is tight..but im leaning toward italy

the one i disagree with is switzerland over the czech republic. I think the czechs get the win here

03-28-15 10:54AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
The favorites:

Norway - struggled at euros and have been off this year but still one of the best teams here

The Dark horses:

United States - lots of talent and experience on this team. in a field such as this they could get the US back on the podium

Japan - can they repeat last year or was that a one off? thats the biggest question here

The unknowns:

Scotland - tons of experience here and world champion gold on this team but they only play part time and last year struggled.They could do well here, they could also struggle for wins again

China - havent had the best season. usually good for somewhere between 5 and 6 wins. could they maybe break through this year?

Czech republic - have come close before to playoffs and always seem to have 1 or 2 upset wins. They never play much on tour so its hard to judge form coming in.

the others:

Switzerland - shock win out of switzerland for this team. they are the 3rd best team in switzerland right now but have no experience at this level. that didnt hurt alina patz much but i dont think they will be going on that kind of run here

Russia - solid young team and did respectably at euros but dont see them being a factor here

Italy - a team who did great at euros then fizzled at playoffs. interesting to see if they can find that kind of form here. if they can they might vault into dark horse for a playoff spot.

Finland - they have had a good season on tour and they might start well but much like the women i expect that after a possible hot start they will fade away

Sweden - Well maybe they haven't done as well overall because Edin has a new squad, but they have excelled when it counts, like at the Euro's and at last weeks Elite10.

Norway - Well they are the defending champs, so they most certainly are contenders no matter what the form is.

The US - While I do think they maybe have a good chance at the playoffs, they did have a poor Olympics, so could be hard to predict.

Japan - I agree that they may be a one off, but they are ranked #22, so should be in the hunt.

Scotland - they are a wild card, they boast a champion like you said, but it wasn't as a skip and they don't play as much.

China - This is a different/new team from China than the one who did well at the Olympics last year, they are ranked #25 though, so should be fighting for #4.

Czech Republic - They have played most if not all of the tour events in Europe this season.

Switzerland - They probably won't win, but will challenge for playoffs I'm sure.

Italy - I would hardly call losing to Edin fizzling in the playoffs, it is hard to know if they can ever find that form again, since they don't play the tour, it's maybe quite unlikely and they could finish as one of the worst.

03-28-15 10:58AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:

I agree with most of your picks

Japan should beat russia
sweden over finland is an easy one to call
scotland v.s italy is pretty tough. italy was great at euros but it remains to be seen if that was a one off. Retornaz has been around for forever so his experience should help calm the young ones down.that one is tight..but im leaning toward italy

the one i disagree with is switzerland over the czech republic. I think the czechs get the win here

Retornaz may have been around for awhile, but he hasn't been at the Worlds since 06', I don't know how many Euro's he's been to either. It may have been a fluke week at the Euro's.

I think the Swiss will win, but I hope it's the Czech's.

03-28-15 11:19AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

You you'd have thought since they are in Canada this time that the coverage would be better, but it's not, draw 1 is not being shown anywhere, what a fail.

03-28-15 11:28AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
You you'd have thought since they are in Canada this time that the coverage would be better, but it's not, draw 1 is not being shown anywhere, what a fail.

the only time tsn shows a world game that doesnt involve canada is if its the olympics. so thats not surprising

but the fact that world curling tv isnt broadcasting a game at all in draw 1 is embarrassing

03-28-15 12:19PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:

the only time tsn shows a world game that doesnt involve canada is if its the olympics. so thats not surprising

but the fact that world curling tv isnt broadcasting a game at all in draw 1 is embarrassing

I know that TSN will only show Canada games, but that needs to change.

As for WCTV, there really is no excuse for not showing a game in draw 1, I mean it's the 1st draw after all, they aren't showing draw 3 either, but I think that's because it's a 2 game one, which is normal I suppose, they are showing the rest of the event however and 2 games in draw 2.

03-28-15 12:57PM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

CurlingGeek will have limited coverage this week. Check out our site to see if we are covering a particular draw...in most cases the decision will be made very close to game time (based on volunteer availability)

https://games.curlinggeek.com

First up: Sweden (Edin) vs Finland (Kauste) on Saturday at 2:30pm AT (1:30 ET)

03-28-15 01:06PM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

Normally I defend broadcasters and TV orgs that take flack from idiot fans who can't wrap their heads around why they can't have an equivalent of Curling Red Zone whenever there are four sheets of ice in use.

But JFC really Curling Canada, WCF and WCTV? You really had a meeting and decided that you'd just pass on game one of the MWCC? Felt Sweden Finland wouldn't have the viewership draw? Scotland can't bear to watch Italians? Honestly what could've been behind this decision.

Garbage you guys. Do better.

03-28-15 04:50PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

look, as much as i want to see all games televised by tsn that wont happen.

viewers who watch curling worlds are mostly casual fans who only have an interest in watching canada. the die hard fans who dont care who we watch, we just want to watch the game are far out weighed by the casual fan who is only interested in canada and tsn knows this.

heck, im sure there are a lot of avid curling fans who only want to watch canada.

we , on this forum might want to see every game but we are a tiny percentile

it sucks but its true and its likely never going to change

even if most fans and viewers wanted the see the whole tournament it wouldnt matter because tsn simply does not like curling and they dont care what we want

03-28-15 04:59PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

if tsn didn't like curling, they wouldn't have ramped up their coverage of all season of champions events to their highest-ever levels.

jesus, what more do you possibly want from the network? multi-sheet coverage of the brier. ALL team canada games at both world championships. semis AND finals of the juniors. coverage of the canada cup round robin in addition to the playoffs. complete continental cup coverage.

but no, that's still not good enough, apparently.

curling fans have got to be the biggest bunch of whiners and complainers out there. give your head a shake.

03-28-15 05:22PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

So Japan expectedly defeated Russia, The Swiss eked out a win over the Czech's in an extra end, Italy did the same to Scotland and Sweden had some trouble with Finland but pulled through in the end.

Previewing draw 2: Norway will take out China, Japan will keep winning over Scotland, The Czech's will make it past the Fins, and Canada will defeat the US.

03-28-15 06:42PM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

Our volunteer is back for draw #2.

CAN-USA => TSN
NOR-CHN => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS2TA0FH9L4

Scotland v Japan => CurlingGeek!

https://games.curlinggeek.com/broadcast/148