Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-03-18 09:51PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Poor BC...what happened, someone's wife went into labour so the guy left? Can't believe this team beat Jim Cotter

Are you insinuating that a man's place isn't with his partner when they give birth to their child?

Last edited by jamcan on 03-03-18 at 10:10PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-03-18 09:53PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Poor BC...what happened, someone's wife went into labour so the guy left? Can't believe this team beat Jim Cotter

Time to change sheets for tv.

This exactly why the second Curl BC heard relegation was coming, they went out and hired John Morris, curler without boarders, to save them from being relegated. BC was teetering on relegation until Morris fly fished his way, a year later, after the curling season, to enough wins to prevent it.

BC will be lucky to get one or two wins.

03-03-18 11:13PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Well done NS if only to shut up Cheryl and her pro AB everything.

03-04-18 01:24AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Donr

Trouble with your theory is he took the ice he took and for that ice he was heavy by a tiny bit...you don't get to retake ice to match the weight thrown except in your theory..

I don't think so. Less weight with that ice would have maybe got him to top 4 foot, not shot.
We could see that the ice was tricky for both teams (and the ice continued to be difficult to read on Saturday).
The weight was good on Jason's last - they either just took too much ice, or he threw it a bit wide.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-04-18 10:24AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

I enjoyed TSN's debate during the CAN-BC game about defense being too easy at this level. They debated whether or not the stones were too lively, which ruins the effectiveness of freezes and makes doubles, triples, and quadruple takeouts relatively simple. They didn't talk about tick shots, but I feel those can really suck the life out of an end as well.

03-04-18 01:14PM
Par89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par89 Find more posts by Par89 Add Par89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par89
Swing Artist

Announcers

How many more mornings on mute button?

03-04-18 01:31PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD
I enjoyed TSN's debate during the CAN-BC game about defense being too easy at this level. They debated whether or not the stones were too lively, which ruins the effectiveness of freezes and makes doubles, triples, and quadruple takeouts relatively simple. They didn't talk about tick shots, but I feel those can really suck the life out of an end as well.

The problem with that is tv has created the demand for constant big shots to satisfy audiences with no patience and short attention spans.

Plus, by widening the striking bands to club standards and reducing the amount of dusting a stone gets (both of which will reduce the liveliness of rocks), you'll suddenly see these so called top players looking very ordinary. Why? Because you took away playing field advantages you don't have at 99% of regular events held in clubs.

Sweeping? Well they still allow snowplowing and dumping so taking away the evil material really hasn't changed much, has it?

And since the CCA and WCT don't want to narrow the gap between the alleged tiers of competitive play (they want their pretty poster boys/girls with crossed arms, pouty face poses, not Ed Werenich with a dangling toothpick) it ain't happening folks.

Which is a shame because it's rare to watch a game with nail biting drama. It's like basketball and an endless parade of slam dunks. Fun to see but eventually boring as there's no build-up, no anticipation.

Last edited by jamcan on 03-04-18 at 01:39PM

03-04-18 01:36PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Re: Announcers

quote:
Originally posted by Par89
How many more mornings on mute button?

It's all of them. Someone at the network MUST tell them less is more. I can't count how many times all of them have rattled on incessantly listening to their own voices, playing with the teleprompter OVER TOP of the players discussing their shots. After all the babbling Russ says hey Cheryl what was the call there I missed it? Shut up and listen so we can all hear the shot, then second guess them all you want. Please.

03-04-18 01:52PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

epping really has to do something about his tendency to choke leads away.up 5-1 and 7-3 and he ended up having to play a tap in an extra end for the win. that's just not okay.

like i said, i don't know what the hell happened to him but in the last year or so he's just become a real head case. he used to be a great front runner, up there with the likes of jacobs and mcewen in terms of being hard to come back on. now he just melts down and can't make a thing when he's ahead.

the end of that nova scotia/alberta game was interesting to say the least. murphy very nearly blew it on his last in 10. he's lucky bottcher jammed that shot for 2 in 9 or he'd have lost. bottcher..his record at the brier now is 3-9. i know it's only 1 game here but i maintain that he needs to get rid of moulding. when things get tense moulding breaks down. he's just an extremely unreliable third. and i don't really know what the hell rus and cheryl were talking about in regard to him being clam and reigning brendan in. if anything brendan is the calm one who has to reign darren in. darren is a firecracker , he is a calming force nor a voice of reason to no one.

reid nearly gave the game away in 10. how those sweepers got his draw as far as they did is beyond me.

overall the first day has definitely not been short on drama. been exciting , you can't say it hasn't

03-04-18 01:56PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD

agree with you and them. defense is just way to easy at this point. and teams are leaning on it more and more. look at the BC game yesterday. 3 of the first 5 ends blanked. it's just to easy for teams who get a lead to defend.

it gets boring to watch the same formula of team A scoring multiples then just hitting everything in sight. teams just go all out defense earlier and it takes the fun out of the game. there was no atmosphere at all in the gushue/geall game after that 2nd end.

03-04-18 03:05PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
epping really has to do something about his tendency to choke leads away.up 5-1 and 7-3 and he ended up having to play a tap in an extra end for the win. that's just not okay.

like i said, i don't know what the hell happened to him but in the last year or so he's just become a real head case. he used to be a great front runner, up there with the likes of jacobs and mcewen in terms of being hard to come back on. now he just melts down and can't make a thing when he's ahead.

the end of that nova scotia/alberta game was interesting to say the least. murphy very nearly blew it on his last in 10. he's lucky bottcher jammed that shot for 2 in 9 or he'd have lost. bottcher..his record at the brier now is 3-9. i know it's only 1 game here but i maintain that he needs to get rid of moulding. when things get tense moulding breaks down. he's just an extremely unreliable third. and i don't really know what the hell rus and cheryl were talking about in regard to him being clam and reigning brendan in. if anything brendan is the calm one who has to reign darren in. darren is a firecracker , he is a calming force nor a voice of reason to no one.

reid nearly gave the game away in 10. how those sweepers got his draw as far as they did is beyond me.

overall the first day has definitely not been short on drama. been exciting , you can't say it hasn't

What Cheryl & Russ think Moulding is cool & calm? I guess Chryls strong AB bias is fogging up her glasses. Maybe Bottcher can talk Kennedy out of his break.

03-04-18 03:33PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

What Cheryl & Russ think Moulding is cool & calm? I guess Chryls strong AB bias is fogging up her glasses. Maybe Bottcher can talk Kennedy out of his break.

it's kind of funny when i do listen to them sometimes. how anyone could think darren moulding is a voice of reason is just beyond me. brendan may not have been around as long but he is far more mature and sensible than darren ever was

03-04-18 08:02PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

If Epping is the best ON can send to the Brier, then competitive curling in Ontario is in serious trouble,

03-04-18 09:30PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Hey, I think the Brier is on.

03-04-18 11:13PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

**** EDITOR's NOTE: Thanks for sharing your story CURLER1, am removing all the off-topic discussion though to try and get the thread back on topic. ****

I think that Team Canada looks pretty good, going to be hard to beat. I hope McEwen can keep his strength up for the week.

I see they play each other tomorrow night, surely that will be the televised game.

03-05-18 08:01AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by decade

If Epping is the best ON can send to the Brier, then competitive curling in Ontario is in serious trouble,

i don't agree with that at all. epping has a very good team. he has strategy issues but he is a top team and if he's waving the flag for ontario they are in good hands.

03-05-18 09:54AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

canada has looked good. but take into consideration who they played. they played 2 of the weaker teams here not expected to make the playoffs or even out of the group. things will get tougher now

03-05-18 12:12PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I'm concerned for the future of this event. When I watch the games I am seeing a club team getting pummelled by a pro team. Like watching someone with a 30 handicap golf against Phil Mickleson.

Is it time to perhaps have a separate curling tour for the elites and keep the Brier for the "amateurs"? For the trials, designate certain events as qualifiers.

Don't get me wrong, Quebec played well against SK - or did Laycock just have an off night?

However, those who play on the Grand Slam are in a different level...

03-05-18 12:20PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I'm concerned for the future of this event. When I watch the games I am seeing a club team getting pummelled by a pro team. Like watching someone with a 30 handicap golf against Phil Mickleson.

Is it time to perhaps have a separate curling tour for the elites and keep the Brier for the "amateurs"? For the trials, designate certain events as qualifiers.

Don't get me wrong, Quebec played well against SK - or did Laycock just have an off night?

However, those who play on the Grand Slam are in a different level...

I agree. There should not be teams at a national championship that would be lucky to win a club championship at most Canadian curling clubs.

03-05-18 02:20PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Congrats to Brad Gushue on becoming the winningest skip ever in the brier. Also, on the same day, congrats to Greg Smith on becoming the winningest NFLD skip, other than Brad, since 2006.

Last edited by guido on 03-05-18 at 02:22PM

03-05-18 03:42PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

McEwen team looking in trouble until 10th, then a great shot by Mike. Must have been satisfying and a relief and really hard on Murphy who played well and looked like a winner.

03-05-18 10:07PM
gameon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gameon Click here to Send gameon a Private Message Find more posts by gameon Add gameon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameon
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by guido

I agree. There should not be teams at a national championship that would be lucky to win a club championship at most Canadian curling clubs.

Have to agree, as a national championship at the top level should be the pinnacle. There is something wrong when the multiplication factor at the Brier and Scotties is lower than at many Slams.

Another thing to consider is that numerous teams across Canada devote much time, energy and money to becoming elite. They spend tons of money to get better and travel across provinces and the country to play in events. Many of these teams don’t stand a chance at playing in a Brier or Scotties because there is at least one or more better teams in the prov, so their time and money don’t count for the National championships.

Then CC gives a free entry to a team who hasn’t even played together, hasn’t travelled much, or hasn’t spent much money to even enter a bonspiel or two. As mentioned by Guido, these teams couldn’t even win a club championship at most clubs and they’re playing in the Brier or Scotties. You can also say the better teams and elite teams have paid their dues… they have devoted much time, energy and money to curling to become better teams., so maybe more of them should play in a Nat championship.

I understand how CC wants to include all prov and territories in the nat events, as they want to build the sport everywhere. What I don’t understand is how you can include a team from NU and it has a skip from Ontario; you have a team from the YK and it has a third from Edmonton and not sure the skip doesn't live in AB; you have a team from the NT and it has a third from Alberta or SK, but not NT… how does that build the sport in the NU, YK or the NT???

03-06-18 07:40AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Only took 2.5 days for the cream to come to the top. The CC needs to rein in the maverick provincial associations whose execs see the Brier as a free trip to the south. These provincials need to stop pretending that they are "growing" the game.

03-06-18 01:28PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

massive win for epping over carruthers this morning.

03-06-18 10:21PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

Too many predictable outcomes. The field is not balanced enough, and the games have produced very little drama because of it. It's just a boring tournament right now, which is too bad. The playoffs should be good, though.