M: BC Mens - Okanagan Playdowns
W: Viterra Saskatchewan Women's Challenge
W: BC Scotties Open Event #1
M: BC Mens - Lower Mainland Playdowns
M: BC Mens - Island Playdowns
M: BC Mens - North Playdown
W: Wheelchair Curling Baltic League: Stage 3
Default (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Team Homan Olympic Chances

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-20-18 10:04AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
It's still sort of early but I'm thinking the final 4 will be Sweden ( 7-2 ), Korea ( 7-2 ), Japan ( 6-3 ) and Canada ( 6-3 ).

Since my previous forecast GB. has surged - despite a system malfunction - and is now definitely in the mix.

My revised update is Korea ( 8-1), Sweden (7 -2 ), Japan ( 6-3 ) and GB (6-3 ). Canada can stay in the picture but only if they defeat both GB. and Russia. Should they be successful, GB., China and Canada could all end up with an identical 5-4 record making it a dog's breakfast at best.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-20-18 11:17AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Did not expect Raytch to get stir-fried by the inconsistent (at best) Chinese. Didn't see it coming!

Her chances of making the tie-breaker now are well under 50% perhaps as low as 33%

If she catches the tie-breaker I'd have her at around 35 to 40% to get thru it.

I am totally mystified at how this group of fine curlers with the thousands of hours of coaching, practicing & mental prep could lose 4 or 5 games at the Olympic level (and outside shot of losing 6)

Question: If Raytch fails to make playoffs does anyone think this team disbands?

02-20-18 11:35AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

I am totally mystified at how this group of fine curlers with the thousands of hours of coaching, practicing & mental prep could lose 4 or 5 games at the Olympic level (and outside shot of losing 6)

Even the US Olympic Basketball Team fails to medal once in a while....it happens....it's not like the other 9 nations just roll over and say "Here, have a gold!", they try too, and sometimes, their trying wins out.

Upsets are what makes sports interesting. Even when it's your team being upset.

02-20-18 11:45AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill

Even the US Olympic Basketball Team fails to medal once in a while....it happens....it's not like the other 9 nations just roll over and say "Here, have a gold!", they try too, and sometimes, their trying wins out.

I realize all that Alan - keep in mind Rachel still has the chance to redeem herself - by subduing the Scottish princess and making sure Moisseva doesn't have any magic left in her wand.

02-20-18 12:16PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill

Good points. Sure beats the Homanhaters on the other thread just because she followed the rules.

Other countries have stepped up and are putting heat on both our teams. And that's a good thing for the sport. Here's hoping their successes translate in more participation in their respective countries.

02-20-18 02:08PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Other countries declared way before the trials some last year or the summer...maybe time for the trials to be held in early November instead? Or is this just a case of a team having issues and they are manifesting themselves on the big stage? I will admit based on Team Homan's performance this year, I was a bit concerned but thought they would get through it. Let's all send them good thoughts and they make at least a tiebreaker.

02-20-18 02:40PM
Curling fan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curling fan Click here to Send Curling fan a Private Message Find more posts by Curling fan Add Curling fan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curling fan
Harvey Hacksmasher

Is it possible that Team Homan has placed too much emphasis on mental preparation?So much stuff going on in their heads about "being in the moment","the process","outcome"?

So much so that they've forgotten to just go out and play the game? I just don't know.They are obviously capable of beating any of these teams,I mean they are the world champs.Something has gone wrong somewhere.Maybe nothing more than the Olympic pressure was more than they expected,and they were shell shocked at the beginning.I'm befuddled.

02-20-18 02:49PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Ladies & Gentlemen:

I want my MEAN GIRLS back.

No fuss, no muss, no smiles, no giggling - just 4 laser-focused women who shot-pelt their opponents into submission!

I suspect Canada's front end will out-perform Lauren & Vicki tonite - and Emma will bash Anna Sloan (if Emma isn't bedridden by flu)....

The ends will start shifting from obvious Canadian control to possible Canadian panic once Eve starts heaving her two jam-pails.

02-20-18 06:21PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Emma has the flu? Is that the latest internet rumour? If true, then ML favourite - Cheryl Bernard will have to play.

02-20-18 06:34PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Emma has the flu? Is that the latest internet rumour? If true, then ML favourite - Cheryl Bernard will have to play.

Worst nightmare ever if Bernard has to be activated . . . . !!!

Just watched the replay - Emma didn't seem to have come down with anything severe - like Korean Pancake Boy Flu . . . . she was sniffling a bit - kept her sweater on the entire match to keep warm . . . . would have to be devastating to get Cheryl in . . .

and hopefully Rachel never watched the Olympic final from Vancouver where Cheryl had Olympic gold in her hand - but couldn't drum up anything more than back-ring weight trying to make a short double vs. Sweden for the win!

I suspect if something detained Miskew - Courtney would move up to 3rd, Lisa would throw 2nd stones and Cheryl would play lead stones and try to brush!

02-20-18 06:50PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Memories of Vancouver.

Where Silver Surfer Cheryl Bernard, clearly the crowd favourite had legendary Swedish skip Annette Norberg by the rattles - UNTIL THAT FATEFUL LAST ROCK - - - - -

Our Olympic trials that year were a dog's breakfast - Schmirler was gone, Jones was totally out of sorts, Colleen Jones was on last legs, Rachel Homan had not quite yet powered up. Cheryl Bernard, who had never won a Scotties and was not a prolific cash curler ended up repping Canada. Played well, earning silver but her 9-1 record that silver should have been gold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2MagIsyupM

02-20-18 07:04PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

If memory serves me correctly, Cheryl had an easy shot with last rock in 10 to win the gold, missed and went to extra end. Again had a very easy shot to win with last rock and choked.

02-20-18 07:32PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
If memory serves me correctly, Cheryl had an easy shot with last rock in 10 to win the gold, missed and went to extra end. Again had a very easy shot to win with last rock and choked.

Basically, Cheryl donated a tying deuce to Sweden in the 10th and then choked badly on her final stone in the extra. Had to hit the short double anywhere high - but hit it flush and donated gold to Sweden. Didn't have enough weight to keep her inturn high,

btw - CBC appears to have nixed the Muirhead vs. Homan broadcast - guess they really don't care about curling anymore! This game doesn't have any consequences, does it?

02-20-18 07:43PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

CBC finally got off its duff and is showing the Eve/Raytch matchup. Missed the first 1 1/2 ends - they were fawning on superstar skaters Moir & Virtue, rightfully so. Didn't think anyone would mind burning a couple ends of curling coverage.

WOW - Eve & Raytch took turns barfing up easy shots. Eve is traditionally a slow starter.
Looks like Courtney & Weagle are terrified providing intel to their skip. Getting very general and waffley - don't wanna say the wrong thing to Rachel....

02-20-18 07:53PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Basically, Cheryl donated a tying deuce to Sweden in the 10th and then choked badly on her final stone in the extra. Had to hit the short double anywhere high - but hit it flush and donated gold to Sweden. Didn't have enough weight to keep her inturn high,

btw - CBC appears to have nixed the Muirhead vs. Homan broadcast - guess they really don't care about curling anymore! This game doesn't have any consequences, does it?

it is on TSN channel 39, I am with MTS,

02-20-18 07:59PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

After the tongue bath of Virtue & Moir, onto the 3rd end to see Emma make some nice draws & Anna miss her shots, Eve cuts them down but is heavy on her draw. Then back to some feature of two guys golfing...yep CBC is tired of curling.

02-20-18 08:11PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
After the tongue bath of Virtue & Moir, onto the 3rd end to see Emma make some nice draws & Anna miss her shots, Eve cuts them down but is heavy on her draw. Then back to some feature of two guys golfing...yep CBC is tired of curling.

I have watched from the first rock on TSN (I do not know if it is TSN 1, 2 3, etc) I can't read the number on the guide.

But in Manitoba with MTS it is channel 39 or 1039HD.

02-20-18 09:40PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

02-20-18 09:49PM
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay

yup! I like to be able to cheer for Canada....but I just could not like this Homan team.

I never really have and can't think of one specific reason, but a few.

Anyway, the way she went about pulling that rock was so wrong. Yes, it was her right, yes it is a rule. But she was arrogant about it. We could all see it was not moved. She could have been a better sport in the way she did it. Like, talk the the Dane's, to her team. Not even a hesitation and she wacked with her broom. Nice sportsmanship.

02-20-18 09:54PM
Love2Curl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Love2Curl Click here to Send Love2Curl a Private Message Find more posts by Love2Curl Add Love2Curl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Love2Curl
Harvey Hacksmasher

Canada's best just wasn't good enough. They had nothing. No confidence, they just struggled with everything.

The pressure to do their country proud proved to much.

Karma baby its a bit**

02-20-18 10:02PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

if you dont have some empathy for the Homan team you have serious problems of your own ..

you could see this coming .... karma had nothing to do with it

02-20-18 10:02PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Drawmaster

I'm so disappointed for team Homan. Absolutely nothing worked for them tonight. Guess I'l have to cheer for Eve.

02-20-18 10:17PM
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
if you dont have some empathy for the Homan team you have serious problems of your own ..

you could see this coming .... karma had nothing to do with it

nope, no empathy.

But then again, I have never ever seen their whole team show any empathy either.

02-20-18 11:21PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Click here to Send On The Nose a Private Message Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

nope, no empathy.

But then again, I have never ever seen their whole team show any empathy either.

Touché.

Game, set, and match.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

02-21-18 12:11AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Drawmaster

A little something to read from Rachael. Enjoy.

http://www.curling.ca/blog/2018/02/...rachel-homan-2/