M: Crestwood U18 Juvenile Mens Bonspiel
: Crestwood U18 Juvenile Womens Bonspiel
W: Curl Mesabi Classic
M: Curl Mesabi Classic
W: BC Scotties Open Event #1
W: USA Junior National Qualifier 3
M: Farmers Edge SCT
Default (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-19-17 05:11PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by nelski

Small note - Kim (not Chang), is the recent Asia Pacific gold medalist and will be in the Olympics in Gangneung as a member of the host nation team.

Don't go old age nutso on me quite yet, son. Chang is his first name is it not? I call a ton of curlers by their first name or initials. Too many Kims in curling and golf - Chang is more memorable, that's all . . . .

But he was a fawn in The Scottish Ripper's claws today. Even the Canadian teams were fawns, especially Mike McEwen!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-19-17 05:21PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

25%?

11-19-17 05:44PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

The Soo should never ever be allowed to host a major curling event again.

11-19-17 06:03PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

agree

quote:
Originally posted by guido
The Soo should never ever be allowed to host a major curling event again.

they should all come to Brandon!! lol

11-19-17 06:26PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

So sorry ML that Jennifer continues to disappoint you and win. Who is Homan?

11-19-17 06:32PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
So sorry ML that Jennifer continues to disappoint you and win. Who is Homan?

Actually Jen is a delight. But I must admit she's become quite mercurial, too.
Hesitate to elevate Casey into Top4 status at trials as JJ manhandled her today.
Jones was truly in monster mode - and that's becoming more and more a rare occurrence as her wonderful career winds to a close.

Even if Team Jones matches Homan percentage wise, I'm still giving Rachel the slight edge due to Jones recurrent habit of mediocre rock positioning!

11-19-17 07:01PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Actually Jen is a delight. But I must admit she's become quite mercurial, too.
Hesitate to elevate Casey into Top4 status at trials as JJ manhandled her today.
Jones was truly in monster mode - and that's becoming more and more a rare occurrence as her wonderful career winds to a close.

Even if Team Jones matches Homan percentage wise, I'm still giving Rachel the slight edge due to Jones recurrent habit of mediocre rock positioning!

you always speak of Jen's career coming to a close...how is that you know that? She is fit, still a great shooter, kids are older, so will be even easier to travel. Where do you get this information. Age really doesn't matter anymore with the level of fitness and being a skip.......

11-19-17 07:03PM
Curling fan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curling fan Click here to Send Curling fan a Private Message Find more posts by Curling fan Add Curling fan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curling fan
Harvey Hacksmasher

Great run by Team Jones.Wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Gushue and Jones both make return trips to the Olympics.

11-19-17 07:37PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Curling fan
Great run by Team Jones.Wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Gushue and Jones both make return trips to the Olympics.

Gushue is obviously the most prepared to win mens team in Canada, no question. Jacobs, McEwen, Koe & even mild-mannered Carruthers are all threats but if Goo is on his game - they'll all succumb to Newfie power!

If Jones makes it thru - she'll become the most storied womens team in Canadian history. Even if she can't bring home gold.

But Homan is so well-trained and now she's far better mentally, almost as strong as Jones. Both squads could easily bring home gold. I'm not so sure about Val, Chelsea, Englot or any of the others.

11-19-17 08:17PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

If there is such a think working towards peaking for the trials, it seems Homan is not there as she has been very ordinary and beatable this fall curling season. With the trials in a few weeks she will need to gear up quickly.

11-19-17 08:18PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

i dont know what's happened to him, he never used to be so mentally weak

Marriage changes people.

Terrible attendance in the Sault. Even the Pintys pub had less than 10 people during the women's final,

11-19-17 10:16PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Click here to Send Observer a Private Message Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Harvey Hacksmasher

I went last year and thought the crowds were light then. Looking at the TV coverage this year it looks like it was even worse this time.

11-19-17 10:41PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I love how Kaitlyn 'cooled off' the needle prior to a measurement. Must be paranoid about warm needs melting up the pinhole and affecting the stick during measures.

11-19-17 10:55PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'm not Korean although I certainly enjoy their food. (Ever try Bibimbap?)
With regard to Korean names, I believe they have a surname and a given name only. There is no middle name as in the English language sense. So Kim's first name is Chang-Min which means M.L. was at least half right!
Not bad, M.L.

11-21-17 07:00AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Click here to Send On The Nose a Private Message Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Marriage changes people.

Terrible attendance in the Sault. Even the Pintys pub had less than 10 people during the women's final,

As opposed to attendance at other 'Grand Slam' curling events? They get horrible attendance at pretty much every Slam.
Even P.E.I. had next to nobody in the seats a couple of weeks ago.

How come it's easy to sell curling on TV, but impossible to sell it live?
It seems that the answer is that ticket prices are simply too high.

As I've said on many occasions (and I'll continue to say it until it's fixed), 80% empty seats makes for a horrible viewing experience on TV. People who are looking for something to watch and/or those who are curious about curling will see all the empty seats and obviously think 'Well, nothing important or interesting is happening here', and they'll change the channel.

If the powers that be had any sense at all, they would lower the ticket prices significantly to get more seats filled. Lower ticket prices would obviously result in better attendance. And they would make about the same amount of money from ticket sales - low ticket prices and more ticket sales would be similar to high ticket prices and low ticket sales - but the big difference would be that the event - and the sport of curling - would look better - and get more TV viewers - because there would be far fewer empty seats.

I do agree about your assessment that marriage changes people, though...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 11-21-17 at 07:03AM

11-21-17 07:49AM
Beermaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Beermaker Click here to Send Beermaker a Private Message Find more posts by Beermaker Add Beermaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beermaker
Drawmaster

What food turns women off sex:
Wedding cake!

11-21-17 08:45AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Click here to Send Observer a Private Message Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Harvey Hacksmasher

I attended the Tour Challenge in Regina in September. Every session had a sizable crowd, and the evening sessions looked like near sellouts. I also attended last year's Masters in Sault Saint Marie, where attendance was very poor apart from some of the day sessions where some school groups were bussed in. The ticket prices were very similar between the two events. And if I compare those prices to most any other major sports event I've been to, they were extremely reasonable.

It looks to me like it's just a difference in how popular curling is in those regions of the country. Saskatchewan is something of a hotbed (also going by what the Masters looked like on TV.. that looked healthy too), while Sault Saint Marie and Prince Edward Island aren't.

This year's National may have been further hurt by the schedule clash forcing so many international teams to not be there. That's the main reason I didn't try to return this year and went to the Tour Challenge instead.

11-21-17 09:15AM
CURLER1
Drawmaster

Tv

Love the TV coverage, but do feel it is having an affect on the attendance.

They start Tue., most people are working and by the weekend it is on TV.

I certainly could not afford to travel to events.

11-21-17 09:18AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Harvey Hacksmasher

Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics

Based on the stats for the week prior to the finals on Sunday, there was no way Scheidegger could possibly lose. She was ranked 4th among all the Skips, her 3rd was ranked 4th, and her 2nd was ranked 1st. On the other hand, Jones was ranked 8th for the week, her 3rd * was ranked 9th and her 2nd, 6th.

So what happened? Just a walk in the park for Jones & Co,!!

* Still can't understand why two commentators, when referring to Lawes stated she
"has been curling VERY well for Jennifer", and "she has been on a roll all week". Where in the world do these folks get their numbers from?

11-21-17 10:27AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

sooo many misses and dumb shots in both womens and mens games

those free guards are a great equalizer

my wife gets mad at me when i blame the ice when there is a hogged rock or when one hits a slick path - i say
" i never hogged a rock in 50 years - these guys are way better than me - it has to be crappy ice - and they have been told not to complain "

someone mentioned selling it on tv - its free - and way easier - and curlers are cheap - and there is virtually nothing but commercials and reruns on tv

most " decent " shows are 20 - 60 years old ..

what kind of moron watches
hitlers bodyguards, cops, border patrols, cnn, faked storage shows, bounty hunters with slobs, nfl , nba ad nauseum

11-21-17 03:01PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer

Based on the stats for the week prior to the finals on Sunday, there was no way Scheidegger could possibly lose. She was ranked 4th among all the Skips, her 3rd was ranked 4th, and her 2nd was ranked 1st. On the other hand, Jones was ranked 8th for the week, her 3rd * was ranked 9th and her 2nd, 6th.

Its not how many you make, its which ones. Jones made a great shot for 3 in the first and it was a battle back for the rest of the game for Scheidegger. One shot at the right time won the game for Jones. She misses that one and the outcome may have been different.

11-21-17 04:44PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer

* Still can't understand why two commentators, when referring to Lawes stated she
"has been curling VERY well for Jennifer", and "she has been on a roll all week". Where in the world do these folks get their numbers from?

Its the mythology of Kaitlyn Lawes that determines she's "always on a roll" and "Playing well for JJ all week". Kaitlyn is perhaps the most beloved female curler in the country - she's always pleasant and defaults to humour. We rarely see her with a frown or scowling like Skipper JJ. When she first came on board Team JJ she was barely out of juniors - she was often terrified and in awe of her skip, even Dawn & Jilly. Now, she's just one of the boys. Jones remains bull-headed but the entire team know better how to handle it.

11-22-17 01:45AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Click here to Send On The Nose a Private Message Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Observer
I attended the Tour Challenge in Regina in September. Every session had a sizable crowd, and the evening sessions looked like near sellouts. I also attended last year's Masters in Sault Saint Marie, where attendance was very poor apart from some of the day sessions where some school groups were bussed in. The ticket prices were very similar between the two events. And if I compare those prices to most any other major sports event I've been to, they were extremely reasonable.

It looks to me like it's just a difference in how popular curling is in those regions of the country. Saskatchewan is something of a hotbed (also going by what the Masters looked like on TV.. that looked healthy too), while Sault Saint Marie and Prince Edward Island aren't.

Well... wouldn't it be logical, then, to lower ticket prices in the areas where it's obvious that attendance is poor? We've had years of embarrassing empty seats in many regions - this shows the world how 'unimportant' curling is.

We know that in Canada, generally, curling is an easier sell in the west than it is in the east.
And so why in the world are ticket prices the same both in regions where they know they'll sell, and in regions where they know it won't sell?

How often will the powers that be take the same mistaken path and expect different results?

"It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 11-22-17 at 01:47AM

11-22-17 09:30AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

lots being made of the jones streak. i dont think they're playing as well as the streak says. here alone they got away with a lot. carey and scheideger both had chances , big ones.

jen is making the big shots but she's also making a lot of mistakes that lead to opportunities for the other team. she's been lucky those teams couldnt capitalize.

the roar will be, in my opinion wide open. rachel still looks far off form. jen is the hottest team right now but, again, i think the streak makes them look better. if someone like sweeting , scheidegger or even mccarville gets hot for a week i can see them winning.i wouldnt be surprised with carey winning either

only teams id rule out are englot, tippin and flaxey

11-22-17 11:31AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Although Rachel does not appear to be on form - I would issue a "BEWARE OF TRAPPED RAT" CAUTION before writing her off.
No question she's off but this is a great team - even when they're off they still pelt you with consistently high percentages - especially Emma Miskew. Rachel has been trying hard to nuance her game - after seeing how narrowly she escaped the noose vs. a pesky Michelle Englot at last year's STOH.
She could just as easily find herself prey to teams like Tirinzoni, Ladyhawke, Muirhead, even Wang at the Olympics if she can't work the nuances.
Wouldn't surprise me if Rachel qualifies for playoffs w/ record like 5-3 - BUT uses the round-robin to shape into form.
Wouldn't surprise me either if Sweeting, Carey or Jones comes out of the chute 7-1 or somesuch - but crash in the playoff round.

My early predictions:

Sweeting 7-1
Jones 6-2
Carey 5-3
Homan 5-3
McCarv. 4-4
Tippin 3-5
Scheid. 3-5
Englot 2-6
Flaxey 1-7