Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2015 Tim Hortons Brier

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-09-15 09:30PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who are Top 3rds in Brier?

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

sorry. sometimes i get a little snappy.

me too

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-10-15 12:40PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

I get the feeling that this is going to be one of the most exciting Briers in memory. In the past you could pick out 3 or maybe even 4 teams that were head and shoulders above the rest. Sure maybe one top gun may falter and one under dog may join the playoff race, but mostly you could predict who would be in playoffs and just tune in for the final weekend. I think you can make the case for so many teams this week I hope it's going to be a log jam right until the end. With that said I'll attempt to rank:

Tier 1: Jacobs - Recently won the last brier he was at and an olympic gold medal. Same lineup and great cash season. The favourite doesn't always win, but I rank these guys number 1.

Tier 2:
Koe - won the brier last year, but changed the team up ... but it's still stacked with world champions. Some say a disappointing cash season, but still 5th over all. Maybe they're still adjusting to a new team chemistry but I don't think there are 4 better shot makers (maybe tied, but not better).

Gushue - best cash season of those not named McEwan. Reunited with Nichols, who in case you forgot can light the world on fire with his play at 3rd, and just seems to be in the mix at every event. Still needs to prove he can win a national championship without Russ Howard. It's just a question of when.

Morris - All 4 of these guys were in the brier final last year. Yes they haven't played a bunch this year. Yes the result have been mediocre. But these guys know how to win and have the talent / big game experience that's 2nd to none.

Tier 3:
Carruthers - won good money on tour. Came out of the toughest province (beating the #1 ranked team twice). Learned to win from one of the best. My top pick for the next team to make the leap.

Menard - So easy to forget about these guys because they don't play much WCT and don't make the brier every year. Except when they make the brier they always make noise. Will not surprise me if they are in the playoffs.

Laycock - The cash results are there. These guys can win games. The last brier they were at they disappointed. They gotta prove they can do it on the big stage when everyone is watching.

Tier 4:
Cotter - He's a known shot maker who's made noise at the national level before. Has yet to do it without a strong 3rd like Johny Mo or Pat Ryan.

Kean - Has made a few big events and came out of a tough province. You know the talent is there, but I suspect their first brier will be a little much for them. No one's going to blow them away, but I don't see them racking up the wins just yet.

Wild Card:
Casey - They secured a lofty place on the money list, but a closer look shows they played a lot of events and racked it up against lesser competition. Still can't write them off and they're my pick to come through the relegation round and even put in enough of a run to be playing meaningful games near the end of the week.

02-10-15 12:47PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Who are Top 3rds in Brier?

quote:

in that list i'd have it like this:

1. mark nichols
2. ryan fry
3. pat simmons
4. mark kennedy
5. braeden moskowy

Nichols, Fry and Simmons are easy picks because they have proven they can be the best 3rd at any given competition. I'll go out on a limb (not too far really) and call Mark Kennedy to be the best 3rd at the competition. He's come off a long stretch as arguably the best 2nd the game has seen, so the shot making is not in doubt. In reality I think there will be a log jam amoungst these 3rds at the top, with the difference being not who is 90% vs. who is 91% for the week, but who makes that clutch shot at just the right time to put his team over the top. They all have that game changing capability. Ranking them is really just semantics.

02-10-15 12:51PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by Deucey
I get the feeling that this is going to be one of the most exciting Briers in memory. In the past you could pick out 3 or maybe even 4 teams that were head and shoulders above the rest. Sure maybe one top gun may falter and one under dog may join the playoff race, but mostly you could predict who would be in playoffs and just tune in for the final weekend. I think you can make the case for so many teams this week I hope it's going to be a log jam right until the end. With that said I'll attempt to rank:

Tier 1: Jacobs - Recently won the last brier he was at and an olympic gold medal. Same lineup and great cash season. The favourite doesn't always win, but I rank these guys number 1.

Tier 2:
Koe - won the brier last year, but changed the team up ... but it's still stacked with world champions. Some say a disappointing cash season, but still 5th over all. Maybe they're still adjusting to a new team chemistry but I don't think there are 4 better shot makers (maybe tied, but not better).

Gushue - best cash season of those not named McEwan. Reunited with Nichols, who in case you forgot can light the world on fire with his play at 3rd, and just seems to be in the mix at every event. Still needs to prove he can win a national championship without Russ Howard. It's just a question of when.

Morris - All 4 of these guys were in the brier final last year. Yes they haven't played a bunch this year. Yes the result have been mediocre. But these guys know how to win and have the talent / big game experience that's 2nd to none.

Tier 3:
Carruthers - won good money on tour. Came out of the toughest province (beating the #1 ranked team twice). Learned to win from one of the best. My top pick for the next team to make the leap.

Menard - So easy to forget about these guys because they don't play much WCT and don't make the brier every year. Except when they make the brier they always make noise. Will not surprise me if they are in the playoffs.

Laycock - The cash results are there. These guys can win games. The last brier they were at they disappointed. They gotta prove they can do it on the big stage when everyone is watching.

Tier 4:
Cotter - He's a known shot maker who's made noise at the national level before. Has yet to do it without a strong 3rd like Johny Mo or Pat Ryan.

Kean - Has made a few big events and came out of a tough province. You know the talent is there, but I suspect their first brier will be a little much for them. No one's going to blow them away, but I don't see them racking up the wins just yet.

Wild Card:
Casey - They secured a lofty place on the money list, but a closer look shows they played a lot of events and racked it up against lesser competition. Still can't write them off and they're my pick to come through the relegation round and even put in enough of a run to be playing meaningful games near the end of the week.

Good analysis, I can't really argue against anything you wrote.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

02-10-15 02:14PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

Tough, competitive field. Lots of potential for competitive games and minor upsets in almost every draw. Grabbing a playoff spot will be a major accomplishment in this event.

02-10-15 02:56PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: Who are Top 3rds in Brier?

quote:

Nichols, Fry and Simmons are easy picks because they have proven they can be the best 3rd at any given competition. I'll go out on a limb (not too far really) and call Mark Kennedy to be the best 3rd at the competition. He's come off a long stretch as arguably the best 2nd the game has seen, so the shot making is not in doubt. In reality I think there will be a log jam amoungst these 3rds at the top, with the difference being not who is 90% vs. who is 91% for the week, but who makes that clutch shot at just the right time to put his team over the top. They all have that game changing capability. Ranking them is really just semantics.

i think you have to have martin crete in there. the guy doesnt get enoigh credit for how good he is because they dont cash a lot but in the last 2 briers he has been ranked 5th and 4th among 3rds at the end of the week. i think he will be there again at this brier

02-10-15 03:11PM
Deucey
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Re: Re: Who are Top 3rds in Brier?

quote:

i think you have to have martin crete in there. the guy doesnt get enoigh credit for how good he is because they dont cash a lot but in the last 2 briers he has been ranked 5th and 4th among 3rds at the end of the week. i think he will be there again at this brier

Martin Crete is a heck of a player and he gets full points for bringing his A game when the pressure is on. He's just a half step behind the top 4 though if you want to compare their A games. You could make a case for him to be 5th on that list very easily. That's pretty much true for his whole team.

02-10-15 04:00PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Well its offical . Adam Casey has won prince edward island. So now if they qualify for the brier that makes things even more interesting.

is it really that hard to imagine 5 losses being enough for something this year? i dont think so. I really do believe this is the deepest field at a brier ever. struggle to think of one with a deeper field

Last edited by misty1 on 02-10-15 at 04:06PM

02-10-15 08:49PM
Island Roger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Island Roger Find more posts by Island Roger Add Island Roger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Island Roger
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Well its offical . Adam Casey has won prince edward island. So now if they qualify for the brier that makes things even more interesting.

is it really that hard to imagine 5 losses being enough for something this year? i dont think so. I really do believe this is the deepest field at a brier ever. struggle to think of one with a deeper field

They will be in tough. Playing the tour is one thing .......... teeing it up at a Western Brier is another. They wouldn't have even won PEI if it wasn't for a 10th inning pitch out by their opposition in the B final.

02-14-15 12:31PM
Electric Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Electric Curler Click here to Send Electric Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Electric Curler Add Electric Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Electric Curler
Knee-Slider

Look for Team Casey to make some noise, mark my words on it.

After making a mockery of relegation, they're going to have the Calgary crowd on their side which is an added bonus. A very upbeat loud playing team (except Anson unless he's on the Keith's) is going to have the nation won over by Monday afternoon.

Without a doubt this is one of the toughest fields ever assembled. Littered with former Brier, Olympic, World and Grand Slam Champions. However, Team Casey reminds me of a freshman who isn't afraid to punch the school bully (top tier teams) in the mouth and take their lunch money.

Once getting the first major title under their belt, the only thing Team Casey lacks is a receding hair line. It seems to be a prerequisite for "Top Tier" consideration.

02-19-15 12:58PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Electric Curler
Look for Team Casey to make some noise, mark my words on it.

Yeah I think Casey will do great, he's been great so far this year. But its defiantly a tough field this year and should be very interesting.

02-19-15 01:07PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

Gushue is my favourite to win the brier this year, he's got Nichols back and the team has been great so far. Plus the rock needs a brier again.

02-20-15 11:44AM
OverAndOut is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OverAndOut Click here to Send OverAndOut a Private Message Find more posts by OverAndOut Add OverAndOut to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OverAndOut
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Tier 1: Jacobs
Tier 2: Koe, Gushue, Morris
Tier 3: Carruthers, Menard, Laycock
Tier 4: Cotter, Kean
Wild Card: Casey

Like this Field assessment, but as for making the playoffs ...

1. Morris team, while experienced, may not have the chemistry to be in Tier 2 (... aka Team Homan)

2. Don't see Menard in Tier 3. Tier 4 for them (... lightning in a bottle twice, maybe, but not likely)

3. Playoff 'wild card' is Kean ... great demeanor and talent as a skip. Queston mark: Can Brian Cochrane muzzle Scott Howard?

Prediction: A Jacobs-Gushue final. With Gushue finally joining Jack MacDuff.

02-20-15 02:25PM
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by OverAndOut

Like this Field assessment, but as for making the playoffs ...

1. Morris team, while experienced, may not have the chemistry to be in Tier 2 (... aka Team Homan)

2. Don't see Menard in Tier 3. Tier 4 for them (... lightning in a bottle twice, maybe, but not likely)

3. Playoff 'wild card' is Kean ... great demeanor and talent as a skip. Queston mark: Can Brian Cochrane muzzle Scott Howard?

Prediction: A Jacobs-Gushue final. With Gushue finally joining Jack MacDuff.

I can't argue much here. The talent between Tier 3 and 4 teams is VERY close. Any of these teams could be right in the mix if they can harness their A game for the whole week and shake off any lows that come their way. Just don't underestimate Menard based on their lack of exposure. They have a proven track record of brining their A game to the brier.