Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 8 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-06-15 10:42PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

A two hour replay of the men's final was on NBCSN this evening, and as far as I can tell from ^here^ all of the games that were geo-blocked on youtube were live on Universal Sports - I don't get that channel so can't confirm what was actually broadcast. I didn't look back at the women's, but I think with the time difference more of the TV coverage was tape delayed with just the streaming live.

And "cards they're dealt" could very well mean that, possibly a condition for remaining the NGB of curling in the US.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-07-15 08:40AM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Alice

How much longer will any broadcasters like Curling Geek or TESN be able to do what they do at "events leading to worlds or Olympics" without giving a cut to NBC or be blocked the moment NBC takes over an event?

That's an excellent question, and one that concerns me. I prefer to think of CurlingGeek as a news source, not a broadcaster. As a news source, I can legally state facts as they occur: "there is a red rock in the four foot". Similar to how any newspaper/website can report a score.

But, I Am Not A Lawyer, and if the NBC lawyers write me a nasty letter, I can't/won't fight them...my legal budget is about $0. Side note: I was blocked from covering one event due to 'exclusive rights' already this year, though it was not NBC.

This is why I try to provide my coverage via the host committee for the event, and also why, despite lots of helpful fans pushing me towards ads, I'm nervous about generating revenue from the site. While it remains volunteer/community driven, no one has yelled at me too loudly yet.

04-07-15 09:35AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

So I know a guy who works as a cameraman in TV news covering sports, and I had occasion to ask him about this kind of thing once...

They can't stop you from announcing the final score of the game. They can't stop you from showing/describing highlights.

They can, however, stop you from showing "detailed descriptions or accounts of the game", which would, likely, include the kind of shot by shot thing you do, CG.

The rule of thumb my friend has to follow is "30-45 seconds of highlights, if we're doing a live from the park during the game we can pipe the crowd noise and say the score, and *maybe* show one previous highlight, but that's about it".

Now, that's *major league* sports, which curling,well, isn't yet...but...your instincts are right....if NBC (or anyone else) tells you to go away, you pretty much will have to.

Would that be shortsighted as hell if they *did*? Oh HELL yes...but it would be within their *legal* rights.

04-07-15 12:05PM
B Anderson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B Anderson Click here to Send B Anderson a Private Message Visit B Anderson's homepage! Find more posts by B Anderson Add B Anderson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B Anderson
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
So I know a guy who works as a cameraman in TV news covering sports, and I had occasion to ask him about this kind of thing once...

They can't stop you from announcing the final score of the game. They can't stop you from showing/describing highlights.

They can, however, stop you from showing "detailed descriptions or accounts of the game", which would, likely, include the kind of shot by shot thing you do, CG.

The rule of thumb my friend has to follow is "30-45 seconds of highlights, if we're doing a live from the park during the game we can pipe the crowd noise and say the score, and *maybe* show one previous highlight, but that's about it".

Now, that's *major league* sports, which curling,well, isn't yet...but...your instincts are right....if NBC (or anyone else) tells you to go away, you pretty much will have to.

Would that be shortsighted as hell if they *did*? Oh HELL yes...but it would be within their *legal* rights.

I've seen this in action with golf live blogs. The websites running them are not allowed to post shot by shot updates of players (coughTigercough). They can describe one here and there, but they're not allowed to give a play by play.

-BA

04-07-15 04:40PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Right now, none of us know these sorts of details from the USCA/USOC and USOC/NBC contract much less the WCF and IOC contracts. If we can't have play by play news from CZ, CG, TESN, and give some more flexible fundraising power to our athletes (like the now forbidden microsponsors of Team Gemmel) our USCA leadership needs a rethink.

It's rather ironic. USCA makes our athletes sign that long athlete contract which few members read, USCA signs the USOC contracts under the likely duress of losing its NGO status. And, Bingo!, before we know it, we fans and athletes are now just profit centers in golden handcuffs to NBC and USOC adhesion contracts. (For nonlawyers, adhesion means one side of a contract has all the power. Think fly stuck on flypaper.)

Best analogy to this story is Taylor Branch's 2011 article on the NCAA in "The Atlantic" magazine which triggerd many lawsuits from players still wending their way through law courts today. He has some pithy vocabulary about plantations for who gains and who loses in these new sporting business monopolies.

04-07-15 08:28PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

...and when I wrote "leadership needs a rethink" I'm not advocating setting up a new NGO. Instead, I hope our leaders would think like curling skips who work to win a long game for all on their team. Look at the new world game for what it really is: how to distribute the growing amount of money from broadcast and social media revenue which will only grow now that more than 1-3 countries dominate play.... especially when doubles comes to the South Korean Olympics in a couple of years. Social media: the "disrupter" feared to the death by TV broadcasters whose best revenue stream today is live sports controlled by multiyear contracts.

Our "leadership" is not just USCA staff and board, but also all the club and regional boards and USWCA, too. And, the professional players union, too, which will come in a decade or sooner when the majority of them stop living in fear of losing out on subjectively distributed doles from TV revenue. John Shuster and his team proved something about not living in fear in Halifax.

Funny, how IOC tried to give some power back to athletes when too many NGOs ran amock on TV money by requiring NGOs to have athletes as 20% of board membership. 20% ... good luck with that. That's like rigging a game by prepositioning 13 stones to start an end.

04-07-15 10:36PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
...and when I wrote "leadership needs a rethink" I'm not advocating setting up a new NGO. Instead, I hope our leaders would think like curling skips who work to win a long game for all on their team. Look at the new world game for what it really is: how to distribute the growing amount of money from broadcast and social media revenue which will only grow now that more than 1-3 countries dominate play.... especially when doubles comes to the South Korean Olympics in a couple of years. Social media: the "disrupter" feared to the death by TV broadcasters whose best revenue stream today is live sports controlled by multiyear contracts.

Our "leadership" is not just USCA staff and board, but also all the club and regional boards and USWCA, too. And, the professional players union, too, which will come in a decade or sooner when the majority of them stop living in fear of losing out on subjectively distributed doles from TV revenue. John Shuster and his team proved something about not living in fear in Halifax.

Funny, how IOC tried to give some power back to athletes when too many NGOs ran amock on TV money by requiring NGOs to have athletes as 20% of board membership. 20% ... good luck with that. That's like rigging a game by prepositioning 13 stones to start an end.

Two corrections. It is NGB - National Governing Body. The 20% athletes representation was created by the Stevens Amateur Act of 1978, signed by President Carter.

04-08-15 03:09AM
Alice
Swing Artist

Thanks, JH. And for "social media" I should have written "the Internet."

04-08-15 11:33AM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

I have used Hola before but is not working for me now? Trying you tube via UK but no luck

Hola plug-in works fine for the geo-blocked games on World Curling TV. You may find it works better in Chrome than in Firefox. If you are on a corporate or hotel network you may discsover that VPN traffic is disabled for security. (Hola works through a virtual private network protocol.)

Cheers.

04-08-15 11:50AM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

TV?

As the TV coverage issue gets debated and re-hashed, the irony may be that by the time this gets sorted TV is really not the important venue, but rather a streaming, time-shifting web presence. (Network TV is increasingly a dinosaur.) ESPN3 coverage here in the US is a case in point. The TV audience for an 8:30 AM or 1:30 PM draw is never going to be large, but the web stream and archive allows viewing at one's leisure. You can watch via computer or via polished app that will run on your phone or tablet, and can be casted to your TV via a video stick at the touch of a button. By focusing so intently on TV, we may miss the boat on alternate media channels that are more cost-effective to deliver. The current trend in home entertainment is away from TV and toward streaming services. Just sayin'...ESPN3, World Curling TV, and TESN are part of an emerging change in sports entertainment in general an curling in particular, just like Hulu and NetFlix, etc. have changed the face of traditional TV fare. Heck international cricket even got its own paid video streaming package and apparently has a large number of followers.

I don't know if the USCA has ever conducted serious strategic planning with their CEO and Board, but this is the kind of issue (and not the only one) that would come up in strategic planning discussions.

Cheers.

04-08-15 12:33PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Re: TV?

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc
As the TV coverage issue gets debated and re-hashed, the irony may be that by the time this gets sorted TV is really not the important venue, but rather a streaming, time-shifting web presence. (Network TV is increasingly a dinosaur.) ESPN3 coverage here in the US is a case in point. The TV audience for an 8:30 AM or 1:30 PM draw is never going to be large, but the web stream and archive allows viewing at one's leisure. You can watch via computer or via polished app that will run on your phone or tablet, and can be casted to your TV via a video stick at the touch of a button. By focusing so intently on TV, we may miss the boat on alternate media channels that are more cost-effective to deliver. The current trend in home entertainment is away from TV and toward streaming services. Just sayin'...ESPN3, World Curling TV, and TESN are part of an emerging change in sports entertainment in general an curling in particular, just like Hulu and NetFlix, etc. have changed the face of traditional TV fare. Heck international cricket even got its own paid video streaming package and apparently has a large number of followers.

I don't know if the USCA has ever conducted serious strategic planning with their CEO and Board, but this is the kind of issue (and not the only one) that would come up in strategic planning discussions.

Cheers.

While Network TV Shows are being changed by Netflix and other streaming services, live sports is the one area of Television that is still very strong. As we see with all the major TV deals signed for Baseball, Football, etc and especially regional deals, the appetite for live sports is stronger than ever.

While people are fine to sit down and watch their shows at their own leisure, sports continues to be "PVR Proof" as a much lower percentage of people record and watch sports after it has happened. It's hard to avoid seeing the result on social media and people tend to schedule around live games.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

04-08-15 02:06PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

Re: TV?

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc
[B]By focusing so intently on TV, we may miss the boat on alternate media channels that are more cost-effective to deliver. The current trend in home entertainment is away from TV and toward streaming services. Just sayin'...ESPN3, World Curling TV, and TESN are part of an emerging change in sports entertainment in general an curling in particular, just like Hulu and NetFlix, etc. have changed the face of traditional TV fare. Heck international cricket even got its own paid video streaming package and apparently has a large number of followers.

TV is the here and now. The near future for marketing the sport to a wider audience over the Internet still involves partnering with the ESPNs and NBCs. Except for TESN all of the sport streaming you've mentioned is bankrolled for TV with Web streaming as secondary distribution either as an over the top offering or source for additional revenue.

Hundreds of thousands watched curling night in America, I think a few thousand tuned in to watch World Curling TV coverage of worlds. If the goal is growing the sport, especially in the non-traditional curling areas, then TV is where you need to focus your energies.

04-08-15 02:23PM
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Re: Re: TV?

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

While Network TV Shows are being changed by Netflix and other streaming services, live sports is the one area of Television that is still very strong. As we see with all the major TV deals signed for Baseball, Football, etc and especially regional deals, the appetite for live sports is stronger than ever.

While people are fine to sit down and watch their shows at their own leisure, sports continues to be "PVR Proof" as a much lower percentage of people record and watch sports after it has happened. It's hard to avoid seeing the result on social media and people tend to schedule around live games.

Curling is currently not in a position to capture the kind of advertising dollars that make national sports like baseball and football so successful on TV. As a niche sport, curling needs to think more broadly than just broadcast TV to grow. There is tremendous potential in YouTube (e.g., World Curling TV) and wider distribution of TSN via ESPN3, and other live and archived web-based video. (CurlTV was a great idea, just ahead of its time with no sustainable business model.) I think it is great that Universal Sports has taken up the cudgel, but they don't archive games, and their web interface (compared to YouTube or WatchESPN) is terrible. Consider how MLB TV is a great add-on to televised baseball.

04-08-15 02:37PM
ethan.b.meyers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ethan.b.meyers Click here to Send ethan.b.meyers a Private Message Find more posts by ethan.b.meyers Add ethan.b.meyers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ethan.b.meyers
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
"Cards they're dealt....". OK, what are those cards? Did USCA, Inc. sign off on some adhesion contract with USOC, Inc. for TV/ broadcast money which in turn apparently gives NBC whatever it wants including the rights to stop all "amateur" broadcasts in the USA of worlds?

That's pretty much true. A few years ago my team and a few others used to stick an iPad up to the glass and webstream our games at Jr. Nationals so people back home could watch that. Starting a few Nationals ago, we were told we have to stop that; the USOC owns all webstreaming rights to those events (even Juniors), and nobody is allowed to broadcast anything from any Nationals. It's worth noting that when you go watch a webstream or an archived one it's through the USOC's teamusa.org website.

Of course there's also the issue that having 4 iPads streaming video on the club's wifi is going to cause bandwidth issues for the official stream, but the reason we were given was a legal one.

I don't know who owns which rights to each event. Obviously the USOC owns USCA events, and I'm assuming NBC and TESN purchase/are given those rights from them for those broadcasts, but I'm not sure. And world events will be different, obviously.

However, the biggest "card" is that the USCA can't just put curling on TV because they feel like it. They need a network. And the network has to want to carry it. That means having a profitable product--or rather, convincing NBC that curling is a profitable endeavor.

So the biggest reason that there isn't more curling on NBC is because NBC doesn't think people want to watch it. So the best course of action for getting more curling on TV is to prove to NBC that people do want to watch it, which is exactly what the USCA tried to do with Curling Night in America... and from what I've gathered it worked fairly well. Now NBC will analyze the numbers for the Olympics, Curling Night, Worlds, and whatever else they aired and determine for next season if there is enough interest to show more or improve the format.

Hopefully that will happen. Even if this season's numbers were great, it's still going to be a slow process. But we're on the right track.

04-08-15 02:39PM
ethan.b.meyers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ethan.b.meyers Click here to Send ethan.b.meyers a Private Message Find more posts by ethan.b.meyers Add ethan.b.meyers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ethan.b.meyers
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: TV?

quote:
Originally posted by Grat
Hundreds of thousands watched curling night in America

Do you have a source for that? Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't seen numbers yet and I'm curious.

04-08-15 03:08PM
B Anderson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B Anderson Click here to Send B Anderson a Private Message Visit B Anderson's homepage! Find more posts by B Anderson Add B Anderson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B Anderson
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: TV?

quote:
Originally posted by ethan.b.meyers

Do you have a source for that? Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't seen numbers yet and I'm curious.

John Benton's Facebook post from March 23rd:

"One other piece of news from the trip. While I don't have any black and white numbers, I learned that the Curling Night in America show and any other curling shows have typically been the #1 or #2 show of the day on NBCSN and typically carry 200000 viewers or so. In comparison, a typical non-playoff college basketball game carries 60000 or so. This is great news and likely means that we'll have more coverage in the future and maybe more live and full length games!"

-BA

04-08-15 03:54PM
Dean Gemmell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dean Gemmell Click here to Send Dean Gemmell a Private Message Visit Dean Gemmell's homepage! Find more posts by Dean Gemmell Add Dean Gemmell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dean Gemmell
Swing Artist

Here is a source for audience numbers that I use.

From Feb. 27:

http://sportstvratings.com/thunder-...y-27-2015/1630/

From Feb. 20:

http://sportstvratings.com/spurs-wa...y-20-2015/1535/

From Feb. 13:

http://sportstvratings.com/celebrit...y-13-2015/1425/

From Feb. 6:

http://sportstvratings.com/heat-spu...ry-6-2015/1302/

NBC Sports doesn't yet have the built-in advantage that the larger system footprint of ESPN or Fox Sports provides. Not sure where a 200K number would come from though. Looks like 66K for US-NZ Men's, 65K for US-JPN Men's, 59K for US-JPN Women's.

200K for anything on NBC Sports would seem to be a huge number.

04-09-15 06:25PM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

According to your links, 59k for US-JPN Women was for the 12 am broadcast on 2/13. The broadcast on 3/20 at 7 pm had 122k.

04-09-15 07:08PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

Thanks Dean.

See below for extracted data showing only the top 7+ NBCSN shows on nights when NBCSN showed curling. I also included April 5 (when NBCSN broadcast the Mens Worlds Final).

NBCSN's curling broadcasts did not blow the doors off, but curling did well compared to other NBCSN content. The time slot matters, any content does better when given a good time slot.

Of course, NBCSN would love to have NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, etc., but for what they've got, curling does well for them.

Feb. 6

SKIING WORLD ALPLINE CHAMPIONSHIPS 9:30 PM 11:00 PM 110
LINDSAY VONN: THE CLIMB 8:30 PM 9:30 PM 99
NASCAR GRIDIRON CHALLENGE 7:30 PM 8:30 PM 76

CURLING MEN DRAW 2 NEW ZEALAND/USA 11:00 PM 1:00 AM 66

PREMIER LEAGUE DOWNLOAD 12:30 PM 12:55 PM 45
SKIING WORLD ALPLINE CHAMPIONSHIPS 12:55 PM 2:32 PM 45
NFL TURNING POINT 6:30 PM 7:30 PM 43

Feb. 13

DETROIT MUSCLE 3:30 PM 4:00 PM 78
SKIING WORLD ALPLINE CHAMPIONSHIPS 4:00 PM 5:34 PM 67
NASCAR AMERICA 6:00 PM 6:30 PM 65