Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 21 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-28-13 02:12PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

Re: Re: WHY DON'T THESE "UNREGISTERED' PEOPLE

quote:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe

Hmmm ... Why would Mr. and Mrs. Wheeler name their kid Stern. Doesn't seem likely to me.

hahahahaha very good laugh there!, actually got "sternwheeler" from the time I lived up in the Yukon twenty years ago, named after the S.S. Klondike paddlewheeler in Whitehorse okay?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-28-13 05:18PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

My name has been posted here many, many times. But for those that are new.

Jeff Hannon
I live in CT
I learned to curl in NJ
I have lots and lots of Canadian friends, most are curlers and one is my wife.
I have bought drinks for Tuck

03-28-13 11:24PM
SmokeyJoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SmokeyJoe Find more posts by SmokeyJoe Add SmokeyJoe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SmokeyJoe
Hitting Paint

Re: Re: Re: WHY DON'T THESE "UNREGISTERED' PEOPLE

quote:
Originally posted by sternwheeler
hahahahaha very good laugh there!, actually got "sternwheeler" from the time I lived up in the Yukon twenty years ago, named after the S.S. Klondike paddlewheeler in Whitehorse okay?

Thanks for the background sternwheeler. I have long had a passion for barbecue. Started with charcoal (Smokey Joe Weber grill), then moved on to propane, and then propane infrared

03-30-13 06:05AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

A few thoughts on the field:

I make Sweden slight favourites this year. It's certainly unusual for a non-Canadian team to be a favourite in the men's worlds, but they're a consistently strong team that can hang with Canada's top teams and they come in very hot beating some impressive teams last week.

I would rank Canada second. No doubt they're a great team and if they play like they did in the Brier playoffs, they will be very tough to beat. Having said that, I'm sure the other teams feel they have a better shot of knocking off Canada then they've had in a few years. For what it's worth though, Jacobs did beat Edin three times this year, so that sort of goes against my assessment.

I'd say there are five other contenders who are all very close. Norway seems to be on a slight decline, but is still a strong team. Much has been made of Scotland's difficult season, but they appear to be picking up steam winning a couple events in Europe, and winning the Scottish championship pretty easily. Perhaps, they needed a few months to work some kinks out. China's team has yet to break through on the world stage, but I think this team is better than it's ever been. I have Denmark and Switzerland sixth or seventh in this field. Both strong young teams that could easily contend for a playoff spot, but are unlikely to win.

In my opinion, there is a decent gap between these seven teams and the bottom five. If these teams were the top seven in whatever order, they would be the teams to qualify directly for Sochi. It's basically an eight team battle for seven spots. The team that would be left out and look to break this up is the USA. I don't love their chances, but I probably would rank them eighth in this field. If they can finish ahead of Switzerland or Denmark in Victoria, that would likely be sufficient for them to qualify directly for Sochi.

Finally, the Czech Republic are sort of a wild card in this event as they got the bronze medal at the Europeans, but finished dead last at the worlds last year. I would expect them to be in the bottom half of this field though.

03-30-13 08:52AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

your predictions on 'shooting " percentages ....

seems to be pretty accurate .... all though one team will shine more coming out of the pack I think?....PICK YOUR 'HORSE'S FOLKS' and lets enjoy a week of fine men's Worlds championship curling shall we?...

03-30-13 08:58AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

The team that can give Jacobs the most trouble is probably Ulsrus. Someone who, in general likes to keep rocks in play and can force team Jacobs into that situation. The same way that Glenn Howard can..when he's playing well

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

03-30-13 09:10AM
Unregistered

sorry, that should be ulsrud

03-30-13 06:37PM
Unregistered

So is this the Chinese team everyone thought would contend? they dont look any different than usual to me.

03-30-13 06:56PM
Unregistered

The question with this team was never can they curl on the same level it was can they do it for a long enough period of time.

03-30-13 07:41PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
The question with this team was never can they curl on the same level it was can they do it for a long enough period of time.

Canada or China?

03-30-13 08:00PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Canada or China?

Canada. Everyone has known they are very good for a long time. The question coming in was not could they replicate that level they had in the Brier playoffs it was could they do it again here and can they hold on to it?

They are up and down, even at the Brier they had their hiccups

03-30-13 08:05PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Norway might not be as much of a factor anymore. They definately are declining. Pal Trulsen did the same thing alot, he started slow and then stormed his way through fields but im not sure this team can keep doing the same

03-30-13 08:11PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

Norway could be thrown off a bit by the fact that Torger Nergrd is not in Victoria, he's back in Norway waiting for a baby to arrive. Thomas Lvold is taking his place at third, but who knows how that lineup change will affect the team throughout the week. Starting off with a loss to the Czech Republic isn't what they had in mind, for sure.

03-30-13 09:32PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Who is skipping Scotland? I thought Brewster was skipping and Murdoch was throwing 3rd, but the event site shows it the other way around. Did they shuffle their lineup recently?

03-30-13 09:59PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi
Who is skipping Scotland? I thought Brewster was skipping and Murdoch was throwing 3rd, but the event site shows it the other way around. Did they shuffle their lineup recently?

yeah, they did. David has taken over skipping duties while tom throws third. Scott and michael or in their regular positions and Gregg is the alternate

03-30-13 11:02PM
rocking chair curler

Team Canada

" I dont think team jacobs has the ability to dominate a round robin like a stoughton, martin or howard can so i think we'll be seeing something more even this year. Will they win? im not really sure yet. They can win but the fact that this is not a team that is a level above everyone else like what the men usually send makes it harder to say."

Ok, so I am not a curling "expert" but didn't team Jacobs beat Martin, Stoughton and Howard fair and square at the Brier? Does that not make them better than them this year? Did they not show they are strong and fit, and very capable of playing hard all game long? Brad Jacobs made some incredible shots in the final, and it was almost as if Team Stoughton wasn't there to play.

So that said, why not stand behind this young team and support them rather than cutting them down? In 2013 they are better than the "usual" teams and have wond during the year as well. This was not fluke.

I want to say go team Canada. Show 'em all!!

I love the debates here and want to say one more thing....I thought earlier this season, Mark Nichols was becoming the tick king on team stoughton, and he is the lead, so they were finessing the shots at the beginning of the games. Just saying!!! Happy Worlds everyone

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.7.56.33

03-30-13 11:06PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Team Canada

quote:
Originally posted by rocking chair curler
" I dont think team jacobs has the ability to dominate a round robin like a stoughton, martin or howard can so i think we'll be seeing something more even this year. Will they win? im not really sure yet. They can win but the fact that this is not a team that is a level above everyone else like what the men usually send makes it harder to say."

Ok, so I am not a curling "expert" but didn't team Jacobs beat Martin, Stoughton and Howard fair and square at the Brier? Does that not make them better than them this year? Did they not show they are strong and fit, and very capable of playing hard all game long? Brad Jacobs made some incredible shots in the final, and it was almost as if Team Stoughton wasn't there to play.

So that said, why not stand behind this young team and support them rather than cutting them down? In 2013 they are better than the "usual" teams and have wond during the year as well. This was not fluke.

I want to say go team Canada. Show 'em all!!

I love the debates here and want to say one more thing....I thought earlier this season, Mark Nichols was becoming the tick king on team stoughton, and he is the lead, so they were finessing the shots at the beginning of the games. Just saying!!! Happy Worlds everyone

No one said anything like that. My post cut them down in no way. I support this team but i dont think they'll be going 10-1 or something like that

03-30-13 11:21PM
Unregistered

Just commenting on the part that they are not at the level of the previous Canadian Teams, and they have done a good job this year of beating those teams. I agree 10 - 1 is tough but I also think if any team has the stamina to do it these lads do! Not a persona attack, just commenting on my interpretation

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.7.56.33

03-31-13 01:28AM
radiowave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for radiowave Click here to Send radiowave a Private Message Find more posts by radiowave Add radiowave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
radiowave
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
I'm really looking forward to see how Scotland manages to withstand the Jacobs assault!

By not wearing any deodorant.

03-31-13 08:04AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Don't be deceived by the close 7-6 score. Jacobs totally controlled a very good Chinese squad this afternoon.
This game was not close. Canada was in control all game. The final score was not indicative of the game at all.

03-31-13 10:01AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi
This game was not close. Canada was in control all game. The final score was not indicative of the game at all.

Agreed. China never looked like they were in the game. Now, all Canada has to do is dominate the Scots just as much...

03-31-13 10:08AM
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

yeah it seemed that way didn't it?

yes certainly Canada's team will have to bring their "A' game to the rink when playing those Scots later this evening, ( really late here in Atlantic Canada) but if I can stay up for the entire 10 ends, and you will have to stay up until the end I am certain

03-31-13 01:58PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Wow finland is really letting canada take control here.They are making shots for them

03-31-13 02:11PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

harndens once again demonstrate their lousy judgement of weight

03-31-13 02:32PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

steal of 2 for canada

finland is helping canada out alot here.