Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-03-15 01:16PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by My three sons

No Ethan it is YOUR TEAMS world championship. The FOUR of you earned the right to wear USA on your back. Win or lose the FOUR of you hold your heads high and play your hearts out.
I am sure the HPP directors are using scare tactics like unless you listen to our intructions you will not have the opportunity to participate in the HPP program in the future.
This part is BS.
I don't care how good Kory Dropkin is. He didn't earn the right, you did, along with your FOUR guys. They are feeding you the juice and I am sure someone will come home and quit curling cause they were not treated fairly. The HPP doesn't care about fair. Fair doesn't matter. This is your life.

Agree 100%. All the best to Ethan and HIS team, U.S. champions. (Read that last again...champions)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-03-15 01:27PM
Casual Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Casual Curler Click here to Send Casual Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Casual Curler Add Casual Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Casual Curler
Knee-Slider

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/curling/sc...-suit-1.1062928

This is for you Derek and HPP........

03-03-15 01:42PM
brund is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brund Click here to Send brund a Private Message Find more posts by brund Add brund to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brund
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Casual Curler
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/curling/sc...-suit-1.1062928

This is for you Derek and HPP........

I love it this is a must read.............

03-03-15 02:50PM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

Agree that Ethan and his team earned the right for all four of them to play at Worlds but I'm sure no one here knows all the details regarding the line up changes. From Ethan's post I think his attitude is great. Give him some credit and don't just assume he and the rest of the team are being railroaded by the HP staff.

I can't imagine being in their spot but if the team is on board and they agreed with the changes then more power to them for having the maturity to handle it.

This makes me wonder even more why Korey wasn't with the Meyers team in Kalamazoo. A week of all 5 of these guys together could have helped a lot. And isn't that why the HP decided to force the Jr. National Champs to play in Men's/Women's??? Too many decisions of the HP program just don't make sense.

03-03-15 03:57PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by MNIceman

> don't just assume he and the rest of the team are being
> railroaded by the HP staff.
> Too many decisions of the HP program just don't make sense.

and that is exactly why many will assume that he and the rest of the team are being railroaded. too many decisions of the HP program just don't make sense.

If this was an isolated incident for USA curling, then probably most people would give the situation the benefit of the doubt. Maybe Szemple is ill, or distracted, or a million other explanations. If past decisions by the HP program led to big successes, then most would give them enormous leeway.

However, this is not an isolated incident. And the team lost 4 of its first 5 games. So it is natural for others to question the motives and intentions behind the change.

The whole thing could be much cleaner if somebody with some true, real, inside information makes a public statement describing what was done and why. If this type of statement cannot be made for whatever reason, then OK, but just understand that many reasonable people will then go on inventing and assuming their own pet explanations. And if the HP-influenced teams continue to lose, then those invented explanations are not likely to be cheery.

03-03-15 04:42PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

Anyone know why the women's not even finalists, but semi finalists are going to the worlds, when Erika Brown won?

03-03-15 05:32PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

ETHAN AND KOREY,

1. Some support the HPP and the coaches, many do not support them. Rest assured that all who know you two guys support you fully. You have talent. More importantly, you have character. Good luck

2. Please stay out of curlingzone until after Worlds. I don't care how bored you get between draws. One game a day for some days would get boring, but visit a museum or catch up on classwork. A competitor surfing here is like Payton Manning listening to sports radio call-in shows. Many of us (myself included) are working with partial knowledge at best and only offering opinions. Exercise your free speech feed your curiosity after Worlds.

3. Best of luck to you. Represent us well. I'm sure you will.

I, too, have my opinions for what they are worth. I'll wait for after Worlds to share them if anyone cares to read them. For now, I'll support the team.

Ben Tucker

PS Stoner, we're in our second year of a World Qualifying system. Aileen was the top WCT points team AND finished in the top 3...so she will be representing the USA. Nina got the gold last year, but Allison went to Worlds after getting the silver. These threads have been through this repeatedly.

03-03-15 05:54PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
ETHAN AND KOREY,

1. Some support the HPP and the coaches, many do not support them. Rest assured that all who know you two guys support you fully. You have talent. More importantly, you have character. Good luck

2. Please stay out of curlingzone until after Worlds. I don't care how bored you get between draws. One game a day for some days would get boring, but visit a museum or catch up on classwork. A competitor surfing here is like Payton Manning listening to sports radio call-in shows. Many of us (myself included) are working with partial knowledge at best and only offering opinions. Exercise your free speech feed your curiosity after Worlds.

3. Best of luck to you. Represent us well. I'm sure you will.

I, too, have my opinions for what they are worth. I'll wait for after Worlds to share them if anyone cares to read them. For now, I'll support the team.

Ben Tucker

PS Stoner, we're in our second year of a World Qualifying system. Aileen was the top WCT points team AND finished in the top 3...so she will be representing the USA. Nina got the gold last year, but Allison went to Worlds after getting the silver. These threads have been through this repeatedly.

Well then it's totally pointless to even have a championships if you already have the team that you are going to send pre-determined and the winner can't go.

03-03-15 07:12PM
westcoveroadie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for westcoveroadie Click here to Send westcoveroadie a Private Message Find more posts by westcoveroadie Add westcoveroadie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
westcoveroadie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Phil: Ned Ryerson?
Ned: BING!

03-04-15 07:46AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MNIceman

This makes me wonder even more why Korey wasn't with the Meyers team in Kalamazoo. A week of all 5 of these guys together could have helped a lot. And isn't that why the HP decided to force the Jr. National Champs to play in Men's/Women's??? Too many decisions of the HP program just don't make sense.

Because Rules Have Meaning...

As Korey was registered as the Skip for HPP Team 3 in Nationals (with the expectation that they, as the all mighty and powerful team blessed with the Will of the HPP, would skate through Junior nationals with nary a hiccup, or certainly if they did hiccup it would be in a meaningless round robin game, CERTAINLY not the high pressure of the finals...no, no, that can't be, the HPP PREPARES for that...and the HPP is flawless, let us all bow and genuflect towards the Midwest now, HOOOOMMMMMMMMM), he was locked to that team.

The rules say that once a team is registered, you're with that team, period. the Rules don't say "Unless it's convenient for the HPP to mess with things".

Had the HPP pulled strings to get Korey to play with our Junior National Champions at Adult Nationals, it would have been a slap in the face to all of the teams over the years who have had to complete an event with 3 players, or been forced to withdraw.

Now, ask me if the HPP gives a rat's behind? No, they don't...I anticipate a rules change being forced through next year allowing the HPP folks to declare their teams and make any changes desired right up until draw 1...whereas mere mortal curling entrants will still have to declare months in advance.

03-04-15 08:06AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i notice that korey coming on to the team really hasnt helped the meyers rink at all. at what point does ethan get his regular line up back?

look, i like korey but he's been to the world juniors twice before and done nothing so maybe he's not the wonder kid the USCA thinks he is

03-04-15 08:16AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

After 6 games, at 2-4 things look...well...actually not as bleak as they could look for the Young Men...

Their remaining games are against Italy (1-5), Estonia (1-5), and Russia (3-3). Very winnable in all three cases. Win all of those games and they sit at 5-4.

As the standings sit right now, 5-4 gets at least a tie for 5th place wtih Russia, and Sweden has a very real chance of going 1-2 in their remaining games (Scotland and Canada are very possible losses), which would put the US in a tie for 4th.

I'm not cognizant of tiebreaker standings for this championship, as CZ doesn't appear to have them posted...so it's possible the US loses out in a 3 way tie for 4th place since WCF appears to only do one round of tiebreakers, so the worst LSD score is out...but...at least there is a chance.

At 2-3 after 5 games, the Young Women's team is also not out of the mix either. Their remaining games are against Estonia, England, Sweden and Switzerland...5-4 is very likely, 6-3 not impossible...and either of those scenarios should put them in the potential for tiebreakers for the Page. 6-3 might even get them there without tiebreaker is other games fall right.

Our *curlers* are doing great. It's our *Management of our curlers* which is failing the nation. For the remainder of this week, I'm pro CURLER. I promise to save the bile towards the USCA for next week.

03-04-15 08:24AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
After 6 games, at 2-4 things look...well...actually not as bleak as they could look for the Young Men...

Their remaining games are against Italy (1-5), Estonia (1-5), and Russia (3-3). Very winnable in all three cases. Win all of those games and they sit at 5-4.

As the standings sit right now, 5-4 gets at least a tie for 5th place wtih Russia, and Sweden has a very real chance of going 1-2 in their remaining games (Scotland and Canada are very possible losses), which would put the US in a tie for 4th.

I'm not cognizant of tiebreaker standings for this championship, as CZ doesn't appear to have them posted...so it's possible the US loses out in a 3 way tie for 4th place since WCF appears to only do one round of tiebreakers, so the worst LSD score is out...but...at least there is a chance.

At 2-3 after 5 games, the Young Women's team is also not out of the mix either. Their remaining games are against Estonia, England, Sweden and Switzerland...5-4 is very likely, 6-3 not impossible...and either of those scenarios should put them in the potential for tiebreakers for the Page. 6-3 might even get them there without tiebreaker is other games fall right.

Our *curlers* are doing great. It's our *Management of our curlers* which is failing the nation. For the remainder of this week, I'm pro CURLER. I promise to save the bile towards the USCA for next week.

men down 5-0 to italy after 5. have a huge hole to clime out of and not a lot of time to do it

03-04-15 08:54AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

wow. so italy just pasted the US men 10-1.

so now that the US mens playoff chances are officially done now does korey get sent back to the bench?

03-04-15 10:03AM
My three sons is offline Click Here to See the Profile for My three sons Find more posts by My three sons Add My three sons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
My three sons
Harvey Hacksmasher

I see that Steven SZEMPLE got to play his 2nd game out of 7. This reeks of poor coaching and leadership. I sure hope they enjoy themselves off the ice.

03-04-15 02:22PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

In positive news....the US Junior Women's team just obliterated England 14-3 to move into 5th at 4-3. They are very much alive as their last two games approach.

03-04-15 03:17PM
kdropkin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kdropkin Click here to Send kdropkin a Private Message Find more posts by kdropkin Add kdropkin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kdropkin
Harvey Hacksmasher

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tuck
[B]ETHAN AND KOREY,

2. Please stay out of curlingzone until after Worlds.

Tuck, wiser words have rarely been spoken!

Similar advise might also apply to player parents and other loved ones who are tempted to read who is saying what thoughtlessly about whom!

Our athletes give all they have to give. (Coaches do as well.) Sometimes the results are not as desired and/or not within their control. Regardless, let's applaud their commitment and effort.

And please think about one more thing. Freedom of speech is a two-way responsibility. We each have the right to express our thoughts in a public forum. But we also have the responsibility to do so in a manner that is not at other's expense. And if we choose to violate that trust, we should at least identify ourselves clearly so that those impacted know who to hold accountable!

Keith Dropkin,
Proud Parent, Devoted Coach, Committed Supporter of the Spirit of Curling

03-04-15 04:01PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc

It's probably a safe bet that Szemple is not cool with being benched after helping his team get to Worlds.

After rightfully winning Junior Nationals to go to worlds, and now only have played 2 of 7 games, I have a hard time thinking that everything is butterflies and rainbows and everyone is happy with every decision (unless Szemple was sick or something).

03-04-15 08:00PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

so i spoke to soon. There is a scenario where 5 losses gets you something..

sweden has to lose their last 2. russia has to lose their last 2 and korea has to lose one more

all very possible

switzerland, canada and scotland are in. this much we know'

as of now everyone but estonia is still alive

03-05-15 12:01PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

okay now US men are eliminated. if norway wins their final game and they lose to russia then does that mean they get relegated next year? i thought it wasnt a concern but with norway lighting up now it might be

03-05-15 12:57PM
kdropkin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kdropkin Click here to Send kdropkin a Private Message Find more posts by kdropkin Add kdropkin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kdropkin
Harvey Hacksmasher

Teams that finish 7 - 10 are relegated to the B pool. Next year's junior worlds will include this year's top 6, plus the host country, plus 3 qualifiers out of a B pool qualifier to be held in early January 2016. I believe both of our junior teams are in need of a win in their last game to avoid relegation.

03-05-15 01:31PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

It's a bad day today.

My beloved Junior Girls take a loss to the Swedes. My thinking about keeping the negativity to the HPP thread has failed and criticism (most justified but some not, in my opinion) is seeping into every thread. This thread meant for excitement and cheerleading feels less and less supportive with each passing page. Now VAcurler is taking cheap shots at me in another thread.

It's a bad day.

Dropkin The Ancient, make sure you tell Dropkin The Younger that I called his Mixed Doubles team "cute as kittens". He'll get a laugh out of that.

Ben Tucker

03-05-15 01:37PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

So yes, a loss would likely relegate the US on the Girl's side.

However...let's look positively...

A win would put them at 5-4, and if any one of Korea,Scotland, or Sweden lose their game (and one of them is playing the undefeated Canada...so...I'm just sayin...it's possible...), then it's tiebreakers for the Page.

So yes, they are dancing on the razor's edge...but...as they say, the Gypsy word for Danger is the same as the word for Opportunity.

03-05-15 01:55PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

Tuck - apologies if you thought that was a cheap shot. I was actually giving Melvin a hard time since his idea would benefit the coasts and not the states in power.

Go USA
Jason

03-05-15 02:01PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

The decision to make changes with the Men's team is not an easy one. It would have been easy to leave them be, and with the expected struggles to come, watch them lose to a point where they can't get out of relegation. As a staff the HPP group could point to them being the wrong team and have more ammunition for changing the system.

Instead the staff took a team who did struggle at Nationals and if you understand the Junior field, would know this team was not strong enough to compete as is. I personally feel the same way. The HPP staff made tough decisions that they knew would be unpopular at home for the best of the program.

On top of the kids, a situation like this will not ruin anyone that needs to be part of the program. Or playing sports for that matter. Sports are littered with stories of players benched, cut, etc who rose up to see it as a challenge to get better. If being benched in a situation like this is what it takes to give it all up, I'm not sure that's the mental fortitude of a player you want in the lineup anyways, as this kind of "give-up-ness" doesn't bode well for bouncing back after a couple of missed shots.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!