Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-23-14 08:10AM
dunhill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dunhill Click here to Send dunhill a Private Message Find more posts by dunhill Add dunhill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dunhill
Harvey Hacksmasher

Velcro

How are people finding the Velcro holding up over time on the BalancePlus and Asham Shoes?

I am in the market for some new shoes and the idea of replaceable slider is interesting but I have never been a huge fan of Velcro anything.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-23-14 08:24AM
deep_freeze is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deep_freeze Click here to Send deep_freeze a Private Message Find more posts by deep_freeze Add deep_freeze to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deep_freeze
Hitting Paint

With Balance Plus and Asham, I have never had to replace the shoes because the sliders wear out, but I have had to replace them/fix them because the velcro has come off.

03-23-14 01:13PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

The velcro hasn't been a real issue. You will never have to replace the sliders before the shoes wear out, but will probably need to replace the gripper pods every 40-50 games. The velcro attaching those pods may start to delaminate or the loops may wear out over time. They are very easy to repair as needed by the application of a thin layer of gorilla glue. The velcro will NEVER come off again after gorilla glue treatment.

The BalancePlus 500s have lasted longer than any other shoe I have worn. I can get the uppers to last maybe 18-30 months. My current pair is at 24 months and still in good shape. They will also adequately fit narrow feet.

I liked the Asham Slams but I found that (1) they were slower than the BP sliders and (2) if you have hot feet they leave little rings on the ice where you stand. (I complained about all the gripper prints on my sheet one night and at some point realized it was...me!)

I like the replaceable grippers because gripper bottoms will get worn beyond usefulness (and deposits crap on the ice) after a 100 games or less. I'd rather replace detachable grippers than re-grip the sole.

03-24-14 09:08AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
draway8

Re: Velcro

quote:
Originally posted by dunhill
How are people finding the Velcro holding up over time on the BalancePlus and Asham Shoes?

I am in the market for some new shoes and the idea of replaceable slider is interesting but I have never been a huge fan of Velcro anything.

I've had BP 500s for years and I've never had a problem with the velcro. I've been able to get 2-3 seasons out of the slider pods. The sliders will outlast the shoe. I always tear out the heal of these after 1-2 seasons. The gripper pods on the BP 500s will also need to be replaced regularly if you tend to sweep up on your toes.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.105.181.235

03-24-14 09:18AM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Velcro

quote:
Originally posted by draway8

I've had BP 500s for years and I've never had a problem with the velcro. I've been able to get 2-3 seasons out of the slider pods. The sliders will outlast the shoe. I always tear out the heal of these after 1-2 seasons. The gripper pods on the BP 500s will also need to be replaced regularly if you tend to sweep up on your toes.

FYI, a cobbler (if you can find one) can repair the heel cup of the BP 500s and similar shoes with a leather cup patch and they will never blow out again. Our local cobbler has done dozens of these shoes and has lots of curlers as regular customers for this fix.

Cheers.

03-24-14 10:30AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
draway8

Re: Re: Re: Velcro

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc

FYI, a cobbler (if you can find one) can repair the heel cup of the BP 500s and similar shoes with a leather cup patch and they will never blow out again. Our local cobbler has done dozens of these shoes and has lots of curlers as regular customers for this fix.

Cheers.

Thanks for the tip. I will look into it. I can barely get a season and a half out of any curling shoe because of that problem.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.105.181.235

03-24-14 02:19PM
USAnewbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for USAnewbie Click here to Send USAnewbie a Private Message Find more posts by USAnewbie Add USAnewbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
USAnewbie
Harvey Hacksmasher

I currently use the BP500s - I haven't had any issues with the velcro at all, but have had two other issues

1) Gripper pods dont provide enough traction from the start - I've had to resort to putting a regular full shoe over the gripper pod shoe if I want to sweep at all, otherwise I am slipping all over the place

2) Within a year, the upper (leather) started to separate from the lower, and have had to glue the shoe back together several times.

03-24-14 02:35PM
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by USAnewbie
1) Gripper pods dont provide enough traction from the start - I've had to resort to putting a regular full shoe over the gripper pod shoe if I want to sweep at all, otherwise I am slipping all over the place

2) Within a year, the upper (leather) started to separate from the lower, and have had to glue the shoe back together several times.

I agree.

In general, I have found the BP grippers more slippery than Goldline or Asham grippers. It must have something to do with the material. The BP grippers do seem to "break in" after the first game. I've put up with the new slippery gripper issue because I like the shoes.

The common failure mode in all of these "sneaker-style" shoes is separation of the upper and soles. This is due to the fact that the uppers are glued to the soles instead of sewed on. It's certainly cheaper to manufacture them that way. If you play front end, you put your shoes under a tremendous amount of stress, and the constant flexing eventually destroys the upper-sole bond. Mine always blow out in the toe and look like clown shoes. My experience: BP500 = 24 months; Asham Slam = 18 months; Goldline (anything) = 12 months at best until something breaks, delaminates, or pulls out.

I'd love to purchase an all-leather BP shoe (like the Deluxe) with sewed uppers and replaceable gripper/slider pods. Oh, and I need it in a narrow width. Those would last a lifetime, but they don't make them. So I go through a BP500 pair every 2 years or so.

04-01-14 11:44AM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

Anyone prefer buying regular shoes and converting them to curling shoes? Other than the warmth it seems like a pretty easy conversion - especially if the current line of curling shoes splits in two after a year or two.

04-01-14 12:21PM
dunhill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dunhill Click here to Send dunhill a Private Message Find more posts by dunhill Add dunhill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dunhill
Harvey Hacksmasher

I am leaning towards holding off and trying the new Goldline Qauntum.

Seems to offer all the benefits of the others with no velcro

04-01-14 12:29PM
USAnewbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for USAnewbie Click here to Send USAnewbie a Private Message Find more posts by USAnewbie Add USAnewbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
USAnewbie
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by VAcurler
Anyone prefer buying regular shoes and converting them to curling shoes? Other than the warmth it seems like a pretty easy conversion - especially if the current line of curling shoes splits in two after a year or two.

This is what I am doing for my next pair of shoes....sent a pair of Nike's to BalancePlus and just waiting for them to get back in the mail.

It will cost about the same as buying a pair of curling shoes (depending on the slider options and shipping), I am just hoping these last longer.

04-01-14 10:13PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Humano shoes. With 'Hair-hide". Who needs velcro.