Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Why are stopwatches allowed in curling?

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
09-08-14 02:08PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Why are stopwatches allowed in curling?

In discussing the new WCF rules about electronic devices on the ice, it automatically got many people starting to think about stopwatches, and if they were OK. This got me to thinking, why are stopwatches allowed on the ice anyway?

I understand what they can be used for, and why they are advantageous to use for many people, so I guess I don’t need that part explained to me. But to me, it seems to go against “the spirit of curling”. Please read my complete thought before answering. The spirit of curling, for those of us that have forgotten, is that I would rather lose than win unfairly. The immediate thought on this is that both teams can use the stopwatch, so it’s not unfair. Maybe that is true on the surface just reading the words, but for me I wonder if it crosses the line of what you can do. This may not be the best analogy in the world, but we have rules in place that say you can’t use performance enhancing drugs. Would it be fair if both teams were simply allowed to use performance enhancing drugs?

Curling doesn’t allow skips who are quiet to use a bell or whistle to help their sweepers hear their calls (I know a few exceptions have been made on special cases such as a skip with damaged vocal chords). I know I have played on a few teams where it is almost impossible to hear the quiet skip when you are at the other end of the sheet. Isn’t it an unfair advantage if I have a skip who has a booming voice over one who is whisper quiet. Perhaps this last comment isn’t relevant, but it is something that popped into my head as I was thinking whether stopwatches should be allowed.

And I know that curling is not any other sport, but I still wanted to think about how electronics are used in any other sports or competition based activities (I don’t want to start a debate about what is and what is not a sport). So in terms of “on the field/ice/track/etc. in competition activities, which ones allow electronics to be used by their participants” Here is what I came up with

Baseball – None
Soccer – None
Hockey – None
Tennis - None
Football – Was none, now they have added the coach to speak to the quarterback & defensive captains to relay plays, but even those systems have to be turned off before the play is about to begin.
Horse racing – None
Golf - None
Auto Racing – Lots of it from speedometers to communication to safety indicators, to fuel gauges.

I guess the closest example that I could think of to the curling stopwatch was GPS distance finders in golf. They have devices that will give you the exact distance to the pin, but those can only be used in practice. Caddies will write down distances from certain markers on the fairways such as a tree or sand trap, and can step off the distance, but there is no way to be exact.

I feel like the stopwatch in curling is something that is great for practice, but probably doesn’t have a place during a game. I feel like Judging Weight is an essential fundamental in the game of curling, and to have it be performance enhanced with a stopwatch goes to far. Shouldn’t we just expect people to just get a feel for how fast the rock is traveling, and have to make decisions based upon feel, not what the LCD display tells you?

So in summary, can anyone explain to me why stopwatches are ever allowed on the ice while curling?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

09-08-14 02:21PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

I think the simple reason that stopwatches are allowed to be used is because they are not disallowed by the rules. Curling rules in general appear to be "permissive" rather than "restrictive."

For example, you can deliver a stone standing on your head as long as you use the correct hack. (The rules don't specify any particular body part has to be used in the hack.) About a quarter of the players in our club use an unusual knee-slide that utilizes the "wrong" foot out of the correct hack, and it is perfectly within the rules. (It's kind to bad backs and knees, which is how it got invented.)

In general, I find the official curling rules rather poorly written, and at times a bit ambiguous. They could stand some serious editing and some explanatory common interpretations. Baseball does a much, much, better job; even the most arcane baseball rules are painfully explained, using examples if necessary to make the point clear. And baseball is an infinitely more complicated game.

As far a stopwatches go, I don't get too excited about them. I think stopwatches, if intelligently used, can provide information about the (changing) ice conditions and can provide some information to sweepers when stones are thrown down defined paths by players with consistent deliveries and releases, but I don't see them as providing a decisive or even significant advantage to a team. At the developmental level, stopwatches are misused as much as they are useful. So I really don't care that much.

Cheers.

09-08-14 02:29PM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

RockDoc,

I agree with you 100%. Great for practices. When game time comes, may the curler with the best abilities, strategy or mental skills win . Stopwatches have brought nothing to the game itself. Like stopwatches in curling, GPS have substituted judgement with an electronic tool. While we are at it, while don't we have brushes that sweep on a click of a button.

Riculous? Exactly my point.

09-08-14 02:50PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Itsjustagame
When game time comes, may the curler with the best abilities, strategy or mental skills win . Stopwatches have brought nothing to the game itself.

Yep. There are some nights, teams, or sets of conditions where, if you use a stopwatch at all, you just put it in your pocket becuase it ain't helpin'. Even if you do use a watch for split timing, once the rock is 10 feet past the hogline, that split time is of no use whatsoever. At that point, the "Mark I" eyeballs have to take over. Ice changes, deliveries are different. Experienced players know how to take all that into account. Newbies hang on their number.

I wrote a rather extensive article on the use of stopwatches for our monthly instructional column at the club, trying to make exactly that point. The article was prompted by a very frustrating night at the office when the sweepers--watching several critical and well-thrown rocks, hardly swept at all, glide to a halt a couple of feet short of the intended target--would say, "But you threw a 3.65, so it should have been there." But it wasn't. Didn't use the eyeballs.

Cheers.

09-08-14 07:30PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

I don't feel like either of you really answered my question as to why they are allowed. Again, I understand what they can be used for, including for judging changing ice conditions. And I understand that they are not against the rules. I feel like they should not be allowed at all. And I want someone to explain to me why they should not be banned.

09-08-14 07:44PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlky
I feel like they should not be allowed at all. And I want someone to explain to me why they should not be banned.

I disagree. I think they are another tool that a player or team can use. No one says a sweeper must rely 100% on a stop watch if they use one.

Many sports that are based on time, like hockey or basketball, use 10ths of seconds to end the game. Why not just use someone’s eye on the clock to decide the end?

Why don’t we ban sweeping and the player delivering the stone has to have the skill to land it on the tee line alone?

I think you are just trying to stir up $h!t.

09-08-14 07:51PM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

I do not know why they are not allowed. Teams such as Ed Werenich use to have a system for weight that went like ''give it 6 more feet that at Avonlea''. I then believe stopwatches came into play by André Ferland, the great inventor and innovator from Trois-Rivières, Quebec. The old rule in the curling book prevented the use of electronic device TO COMMUNICATE amongst players. My guess is that stopwatches did not break that rule and therefore were allowed to stay. Quick acceptance in the curling community made them hard to be removed.

Why they are still accepted by the rules, that I cannot understand or answer.

09-08-14 08:30PM
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Well, I can't read the collective minds of the WCF, but I strongly suspect that if they thought stopwatches gave teams an unfair advantage, they would prohibit them. That's essentially what they did with curling sticks at the competition level.

In this latest go-round the WCF apparently acknowledges that stopwatches have been routinely used in play too long now to turn around and ban, so they elected not to do that in the proposed rule regarding electronic devices.

That's about the best I can do to explain why watches are allowed (not prohibited). Some may not like it, but its the rules (or lack of same).

I don't like the DH rule in baseball, but it is allowed in one league, which is even stupider IMO. But there you are. It's in the book.

Cheers.

09-08-14 09:15PM
skeebop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeebop Find more posts by skeebop Add skeebop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skeebop
Harvey Hacksmasher

Curling is also the only sport I know of that doesnt have a coin flip or something similar to determine advantage in OT.

I think its terrible after an even game one team is just given the advantage in OT because they didnt score last.

Imagine trying to put that into the NFL. They would laugh at you.

09-08-14 09:52PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Itsjustagame
I do not know why they are not allowed. Teams such as Ed Werenich use to have a system for weight that went like ''give it 6 more feet that at Avonlea''.,, Quick acceptance in the curling community made them hard to be removed.

Why they are still accepted by the rules, that I cannot understand or answer.

It used to be that reading weight, like the Werenich team, was an important skill for sweepers. Instead of relying on the players reading of the rock and ice, they now use watches -- easier for everyone and eliminate an individual talent. Whether or not watches were quickly accepted should have no impact on a decision to keep/ban them but it is the easy to say it would be too hard to change now. What would be so difficult about that? I think watches should be banned -- that would add another variable/talent to shot making that has disappeared with the advent of watches.

09-08-14 10:08PM
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
I think watches should be banned -- that would add another variable/talent to shot making that has disappeared with the advent of watches. [/B]

I think this statement grossly overestimates the impact of timing on rock placement. A watch does not magically enable one to make perfect sweep calls. If that were true my curling students would all become excellent sweepers the instant they picked up a watch. Doesn't happen. You still need a keen eye to properly place a stone. I don't worry about watches spoiling the game. The best front ends use timing to track changes and paths on the ice, a high-order skill.

Cheers.

09-08-14 10:33PM
curlky
Drawmaster

I'm not trying to say that watches ruin the game. And I agree that sweeping is more than just a watch, that even with the watch, you still need some amount of judgement. But still, I don't feel like anyone has given a single good reason why they should be allowed, or why anyone ever thought they were a good idea to begin with. Can anyone help a new curler to understand?

09-08-14 10:57PM
CURLING NUTS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLING NUTS Click here to Send CURLING NUTS a Private Message Visit CURLING NUTS's homepage! Find more posts by CURLING NUTS Add CURLING NUTS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLING NUTS
Swing Artist

The only logical use of stop watches, should be to determine when the bar will be open. This in itself, if nothing else... will help to speed up the game of curling.

09-09-14 12:59AM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

quote:
But still, I don't feel like anyone has given a single good reason why they should be allowed, or why anyone ever thought they were a good idea to begin with. Can anyone help a new curler to understand?

Some more reasons to keep them with a smile and tip of the hat to Curling Nuts,

- Give front ends a special task besides testing rock sets. Timing rocks can be a routine to settle nerves.
- The watches draped around waists announce, "I am a serious curler!" and become part of a uniform for some front end competitive curlers.
- The watches help deaf curlers who may struggle to pick up auditory clues which are extremely important to determine actual stone speed along different tracks during entire games as the ice surface changes.
- Might keep some watch makers and curling equipment suppliers in business.

Good reading:
http://www.goldlinecurling.com/en/c...-timing-devices

09-09-14 10:37AM
curlky
Drawmaster

Alice had provided me the first logical use of the watch, as I had never considered the deaf aspect. My opinion is that stopwatches are OK if you are deaf, but anyone have a reason why those with hearing should be able to use them?

09-09-14 10:39AM
OverAndOut is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OverAndOut Click here to Send OverAndOut a Private Message Find more posts by OverAndOut Add OverAndOut to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OverAndOut
Harvey Hacksmasher

Stopwatch is used in baseball ... by 1st base coach to time the pitcher's delivery. Also runner's steal time. And catcher's throw to 2nd time.

09-09-14 12:31PM
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by OverAndOut
Stopwatch is used in baseball ... by 1st base coach to time the pitcher's delivery. Also runner's steal time. And catcher's throw to 2nd time.

Please note that these are things done by coaches, not done by the players themselves. My point was about the player/athlete themselves using a timing or electronic device in actual competition.

09-09-14 12:57PM
tickmeister is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tickmeister Click here to Send tickmeister a Private Message Find more posts by tickmeister Add tickmeister to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tickmeister
Knee-Slider

As a long time competitive front ender, I can say that stop watches are an annoyance during a game. They create doubt when two players disagree about the information provided, which happens a lot.
I only use split times before a game to match a pair of rocks, and so it would not bother me if they were banned during actual play.

09-09-14 02:33PM
MiniMark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MiniMark Click here to Send MiniMark a Private Message Find more posts by MiniMark Add MiniMark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MiniMark
Hitting Paint

Because

They are allowed because they are not deemed to provide a competitive advantage. Also because of this, from the rationale section of the document:
Stopwatches will be allowed as long as they don’t give active advice when to sweep. They have been a part of the game for such a long time that the Competitions and Rules Commission does not see it feasible as to ban them.

They are allowed because the rules specifically provide their legality. That really settles that part of the debate.

I play lead. I stopped using a watch last year and it was liberating. It allows you to pay more attention to the ice as it changes during the game. I'm not going back to it. I love playing vs teams that are married to the watch.

09-09-14 09:49PM
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

Re: Because

quote:
Originally posted by MiniMark

I play lead. I stopped using a watch last year and it was liberating. It allows you to pay more attention to the ice as it changes during the game. I'm not going back to it. I love playing vs teams that are married to the watch.

I LOVE this comment

09-10-14 01:41PM
ssrulle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssrulle Click here to Send ssrulle a Private Message Find more posts by ssrulle Add ssrulle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssrulle
Swing Artist

I don't see any reason to not allow them in the game. It doesn't change the outcome of the game, it doesn't make a players slide or delivery better, it doesn't make a sweeper apply more pressure to their broom.

Personally, as a sweeper, I learned how to read the changing conditions of the ice better using a stopwatch, than I could following the rock and trying to make judgement. So now after years of using the stopwatch, I don't need to do a split time, whenever a rock is delivered. I now only use it once every end or two. As a skip standing in the house, it helps me understand why rocks are coming up short, or going deep or through the house, and can pin point if it's the ice changing, or my teammate(s) having a tough game.

I don't think you can compare with other sports to say curling should not use stopwatches. Specifically the reference in the rules to electronic devices is geared to cellphones, tablets, laptops etc. I really don't see any reason to nitpick about it because it doesn't change the game. You could have ice time and split times figured out for your venue, have a rock in motion, mentally know where it's going to end up in the house, and suddenly the rock hits a flat spot or debris and takes a quick right or left turn. Right then and there the outcome of the game is changed by someones hand/foot/knee print, sweater fuzz, broom hair etc, and the stopwatch had no impact on that outcome!

I think there is more things wrong with how the game is governed, (eg Men and Women's nationals that now have relegation rounds to exclude teams, just to keep it at 12 team round robin, thus excluding 3 provinces/territories from play, therefore not really making it a national championship), than to worry about a little device that starts, stops, laps, and resets time! But that's just me!

09-13-14 07:56PM
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Alice had provided me the first logical use of the watch, as I had never considered the deaf aspect. My opinion is that stopwatches are OK if you are deaf, but anyone have a reason why those with hearing should be able to use them?

Already answered several times curlky. Sorry you don't like the answers. The curling rule-makers will just have to agree to disagree with you on the value of not having a prohibition. You can keep trolling for an answer you like, but the WCF does not agree with your view regarding prohibition, at least for now, and possibly long-term.

Time to move on. Ice is starting to go in most places...it's almost time for curling, and I may or may not use my stopwatch.

Cheers.

09-14-14 08:44PM
Viich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Viich Click here to Send Viich a Private Message Find more posts by Viich Add Viich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Viich
Harvey Hacksmasher

Running (road, not track) watches are allowed - GPS isn't for competitive events, yet a large proportion of recreational runners use them (much like GPS in golf, I guess). On the track, I'm not sure if a watch is allowed or not. Regardless, coaches are always giving their athletes splits from the side of the track.

Most sports it doesn't come up because they aren't allowed for safety in contact sports.

The stopwatch is of such little utility at the top levels of competition that it's not a big deal. It's not precise enough to be better than a skilled sweeper judging a thrown rock, and even half-decent teams will be able to pick up on a speed change pretty quickly. For teams that play once a week and bonspiel once or twice a year, having a measured scale to assess speed and whether conditions are changing during a game is useful. I personally prefer that maximum one sweeper at a time ever uses a stopwatch, no matter how seldom or much they curl. As skip, I use it more often while observing the opponent's shot (like 1B coach).

I really think this is a non-issue.

quote:

Please note that these are things done by coaches, not done by the players themselves. My point was about the player/athlete themselves using a timing or electronic device in actual competition.

09-15-14 08:08AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Watches are allowed in track racing, but they are essentially superfluous...

In a sprint, you don't have time to look at it.

In a distance race, there are multiple clocks around the track, admittedly intended for the spectator's convenience, but still, the runners can and do use them.

Likewise, there are an ever increasing number of occasions in American Football where a player admits to looking up at a Jumbotron TV screen to see where his would-be tackler may be.

Tech happens, but it's still the human who is making the decision what to DO with the information. That's why the WCF has banned watches that advise what to do, but still allow watches that just give you a time stamp.

In my opinion, that's a very good compromise...and I can't even use a watch on my stones, since stopwatching a stick delivery stone is an exercise in futility.

09-15-14 10:20AM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

You could probably use the same arguments with just about every piece of equipment. I bet the first sliders opened eyes!

I guess every sport has it's rules but as long as it makes the sport better and doesn't give an "unfair" advantage there is nothing wrong with advancements.

I think I have seen the stick abused more than any other single thing but without it look how many club curlers we would lose!