Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-26-15 03:59PM
Borough Boy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Borough Boy Click here to Send Borough Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Borough Boy Add Borough Boy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Borough Boy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Mark Dacey is right

When asked whether Curling Canada ought to revisit the relegation format, Dacey is dismissive.“Relegation’s fine," he says. "I don’t care about relegation. We’re way better than relegation. We’re too good for relegation." Then, he pivots back to where he thinks the troubles are really located, with the NSCA. "They just don’t help us shine.”

I am shocked that there has been little reaction to Mark Dacey and other competitive players from Nova Scotia challenging their association to improve the provincial championships including, ice conditions, rocks media coverage etc.

I read the article and must admit I am in 100% agreement. Also in agreement regarding Mark's quote on relegation, see above.

He realizes that the solution to improving Nova Scotia and other provinces chances for long term success go far greater than expanding the number of teams participating in an event, you need to be there to win.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-26-15 04:53PM
Island Roger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Island Roger Find more posts by Island Roger Add Island Roger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Island Roger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Relegation will be too hard ot get out of for some regions. There needs to be a rule that you can only be relegated two years in a row.

03-26-15 05:32PM
Borough Boy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Borough Boy Click here to Send Borough Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Borough Boy Add Borough Boy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Borough Boy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Island Roger
Relegation will be too hard ot get out of for some regions. There needs to be a rule that you can only be relegated two years in a row.

I think you are missing the point IMHO. Do you want to just get to an event or do you want to make improvements to the system in your province that are going to create meaningful improvements so that when you do get to the event, your chances of succeeding and really competing for a championship, are increased?

I can think of a number of players who earned the right to play in the Brier for example, who maybe only got there a couple of times but each time they competed, they had a real shot at winning, versus some who have participated in multiple Briers, but really never had a shot.....

I think that is Marks' point and the point that many of the "no relegation" side are not taking into consideration.

If your answer is going to be, happy to be there, then carry on..............

03-26-15 06:25PM
5thstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thstone Find more posts by 5thstone Add 5thstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thstone
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Borough Boy

I think you are missing the point IMHO. Do you want to just get to an event or do you want to make improvements to the system in your province that are going to create meaningful improvements so that when you do get to the event, your chances of succeeding and really competing for a championship, are increased?

I can think of a number of players who earned the right to play in the Brier for example, who maybe only got there a couple of times but each time they competed, they had a real shot at winning, versus some who have participated in multiple Briers, but really never had a shot.....

I think that is Marks' point and the point that many of the "no relegation" side are not taking into consideration.

If your answer is going to be, happy to be there, then carry on..............

I will keep saying this until the cows go home and then some but the main problem how do you better? Enter in a bunch touring events. How do you do that? Have a lot of cash on you especially for traveling. That may be fine for those who live relatively close to the bigger cities but in rural and especially more remote areas, its very expensive in a hurry to travel. One may said get sponsored but I say good luck with that even if you may have the skills. Back to the problem of curling is getting too elite and not helping out the rural folks who want to be legit and be competitive. Let's ask the Europeans teams on how they atleast get some money for traveling and be able to be off for 2 weeks at a time.

03-26-15 07:53PM
Steviewondering is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steviewondering Click here to Send Steviewondering a Private Message Find more posts by Steviewondering Add Steviewondering to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steviewondering
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by 5thstone

I will keep saying this until the cows go home and then some but the main problem how do you better? Enter in a bunch touring events. How do you do that? Have a lot of cash on you especially for traveling. That may be fine for those who live relatively close to the bigger cities but in rural and especially more remote areas, its very expensive in a hurry to travel. One may said get sponsored but I say good luck with that even if you may have the skills. Back to the problem of curling is getting too elite and not helping out the rural folks who want to be legit and be competitive. Let's ask the Europeans teams on how they atleast get some money for traveling and be able to be off for 2 weeks at a time.

You've got a solid point. I'd like to see some of those new slam events being held out east next season and maybe including one of the top local teams in the area.

03-26-15 08:11PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Steviewondering

You've got a solid point. I'd like to see some of those new slam events being held out east next season and maybe including one of the top local teams in the area.

100% agree. There is a slam in Truro NS next year, Even if they have a couple local teams allowed to play that would be a great incentive. Have a couple winners of local spiels able to qualify and then you will see these teams are able to compete with most of the slam teams.

03-27-15 06:20AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:

Adam Casey - The situation you describe is perfectly fitting.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-27-15 12:13PM
Borough Boy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

This argument does not hold water.

Let's look at Brad Gushue BEFORE he won Olympic gold. You could easily argue, if anyone had an excuse not to do well, someone from the rock would. However, this was not the case.

Brad was in 6 Junior Championships (95-01) and then went to play in 3 Briers, before Olympic glory. He didn't start playing in Grand Slams until the 2002 Players Championship and really didn't start playing the Slams full until 2004, again, before the Olympics. Sound familiar, see Adam Casey.

The bottom line is funding/sponsorhsip is not necessarily the problem but having the talent is. If you are good enough, you will find your way there.

That no sponsorship argument has been played around for decades, I can't recall ANY team coming out of the gates with tememendous sponsorship, it is gained over time by success. If you think it's easier for a young tema to get sponsors in Toronto, Vancouver or Saskatoon, I would suggest its not.

03-27-15 06:40PM
5thstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thstone Find more posts by 5thstone Add 5thstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thstone
Hitting Paint

quote:

This argument does not hold water.

Let's look at Brad Gushue BEFORE he won Olympic gold. You could easily argue, if anyone had an excuse not to do well, someone from the rock would. However, this was not the case.

Brad was in 6 Junior Championships (95-01) and then went to play in 3 Briers, before Olympic glory. He didn't start playing in Grand Slams until the 2002 Players Championship and really didn't start playing the Slams full until 2004, again, before the Olympics. Sound familiar, see Adam Casey.

The bottom line is funding/sponsorhsip is not necessarily the problem but having the talent is. If you are good enough, you will find your way there.

That no sponsorship argument has been played around for decades, I can't recall ANY team coming out of the gates with tememendous sponsorship, it is gained over time by success. If you think it's easier for a young tema to get sponsors in Toronto, Vancouver or Saskatoon, I would suggest its not.

You're wrong. My post holds a lot of water and ice. Gushue had it made especially having Howard during the Olympic run helped him a lot. He's doing quite well now. Casey learned a fair bit from Gushue too. As of 5 years ago, if you want to have half a shot getting out of provincials let alone making a good a run it at the Brier, you absolutely better get yourself playing the Gushue's, McEwen's, Laycock et al a fair bit or you are going get beat quite easily even if one does their homework and watch countless hours of video (now readily available)at the provincials and if you somehow get to the Brier. Back to what I posted of the challenges curling has now.

03-27-15 07:00PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

while Gushue is a good curler, way back if he had not brought Russ Howard aboard to skip the team, he would never have seen the Olympics, let alone wiin it.

03-27-15 07:16PM
Not Happy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Not Happy Click here to Send Not Happy a Private Message Find more posts by Not Happy Add Not Happy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Not Happy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Mark got it right but also got it wrong yes we need to pull up our socks in Nova Scotia but that does not make relegation right if not Nova Scotia then some other province like BC this year in the Scotties the Brier should be ALL INCLUSIVE that is the point those that oppose relegation are trying to make it should be the best in each province the end. Others think that it should be the top 12 in Canada that is really what all the fuss is about.Nova Scotia will get out of this position then that means another province is on the out side.

03-27-15 07:26PM
Not Happy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Not Happy Click here to Send Not Happy a Private Message Find more posts by Not Happy Add Not Happy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Not Happy
Harvey Hacksmasher

The other point I want to make is the CCA can not be trusted to do the right thing I had a lot of faith in this group but the way they dealt with the three way tie was so wrong for a national event they can not be trusted it all about money with this group

03-27-15 07:35PM
Borough Boy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

You're wrong. My post holds a lot of water and ice. Gushue had it made especially having Howard during the Olympic run helped him a lot. He's doing quite well now. Casey learned a fair bit from Gushue too. As of 5 years ago, if you want to have half a shot getting out of provincials let alone making a good a run it at the Brier, you absolutely better get yourself playing the Gushue's, McEwen's, Laycock et al a fair bit or you are going get beat quite easily even if one does their homework and watch countless hours of video (now readily available)at the provincials and if you somehow get to the Brier. Back to what I posted of the challenges curling has now.

You are missing my point, forget the Olympics. Look PRIOR to the olympics, he had been to multiple briers and qualified for grand slams. Did not have exhaustive sponsorship but was able to qualify and play In these high caliber events and all that from Newfoundland.

Look prior to Russ Howard, Gushue was still successful and playing in these events, nobody can discount what happened after going to the Olympics but the point is, he was doing what you suggest can't be done, prior to the Olympic run.

03-27-15 07:37PM
Borough Boy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Not Happy
The other point I want to make is the CCA can not be trusted to do the right thing I had a lot of faith in this group but the way they dealt with the three way tie was so wrong for a national event they can not be trusted it all about money with this group

Just for the record, are you suggesting that the tie breaker used was somehow changed or manipulated at the event?

or was it explained in the rules given to teams prior to the event and participating teams aware going in?

03-27-15 07:45PM
Not Happy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Nope teams knew but for them to decide that the tie breaker would be their draw to the button was so wrong in so many ways.
I did not hear one team an I talked to a lot of them thought that was right should have been a play off at the very least

I will rephrase it they can not be trusted to make the right decision

Last edited by Not Happy on 03-27-15 at 07:49PM

03-27-15 07:52PM
Borough Boy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Not Happy
Nope teams knew but for them to decide that the tie breaker would be their draw to the button was so wrong in so many ways.
I did not hear one team an I talked to a lot of them thought that was right should have been a play off at the very least

Thanks for clarifying that the rules as explained ahead of time were upheld.

Guess they could have started the round robin all over again. Not sure what else you would have them do. Could flip a coin? Was it nota 3 way tie?

At the brier, they advise you ahead of the event that a skilled based event is going to be used As a tie breaker, after the other criteria does not break the tie.

Last edited by Borough Boy on 03-27-15 at 07:54PM

03-27-15 07:58PM
Island Roger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Island Roger Find more posts by Island Roger Add Island Roger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Island Roger
Harvey Hacksmasher

I think all of this can be cleared up if someone can answer the following two questions.

Define Brier ?

Define WCT Event ?

Enough said. CCA needs to revisit these definitions.

03-27-15 08:22PM
Not Happy
Harvey Hacksmasher

But never would it be to decide to be in our out it would only ever be used to rank for tie breakers it should have been the first in the draw should have been number one second and third should have played off for the other spot in the final

03-28-15 11:51AM
Borough Boy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Lightbulb

quote:
Originally posted by Island Roger
I think all of this can be cleared up if someone can answer the following two questions.

Define Brier ?

Define WCT Event ?

Enough said. CCA needs to revisit these definitions.

I'm going to cover a few areas,how do I define the brier? I sure don't define it with a championship pool and a seeding pool, after trying hard to figure out the seniors this week i am even more convinced that this is NOT the way to go for a brier or scotties. How on earth would a casual fan be ab le to follow that. Why would a sponsor want that system when the round robin works now and for TV, yes TV it works great.

As for the comments about the cc being about money, when it comes to these 2 events thank god they are! Do you think the saddle dome gets rented for 10 days with magic beans? Like it or not, sponsors have a stake in those events. After witnessing the seniors scheduling, I can't imagine Tim hortons or scotties wanting any part of that system. I can hear Vic Reuter saying "and. In the monasanto reseeding pool, bc defeats northern ontario 8-6".

The brier drives revenues for other events so if the 2 pool system is going to hurt viewership or revenue, then the cc has to be careful. I'm convinced that all of these options were looked and coming up with the current system made the most sense when factoring in everything involved.

Here is curling economics 101, I read on this site multiple times how many loved the coverage sportsnet gave to some of the provinces women's championshiPs, me included. Want to know who paid the production costs to show those events? I know in one case for certain and am assuming it was the same in the other provinces, you want to guess........

The provincial curling associations themselves!!! Not Rogers, the only way they would show the events was if their production costs were covered. And everyone was patting Rogers on the back for covering the events, no patting required, they were not going to cover those unless it made economic sense for them.So before ideas are thrown around on pools, etc if you don't think that money is A major factor, then check again. Another economic check, the proviNcial winners in the masters are paying THEIR own expenses to play in the north next week, that is part and cause to the economics of the event. You want an argument for not particiApting there is one!

The pool system may be ok for the juniors and seniors where TV is really not a concern, but at the other 2 events it is about sponsorship, revenues etc.
We can always go back to the days before tsn where we got a 15 minute highlight package on CBC of the days events, we can go to hosting it in smaller venues, but if we want those events to continue tobe a major event, then they need to be presented as such and econcomics are and will be a driving force in choices and decisions made.

And to come full circle , how do I define a wct event? Well I watched the event from Gatineau which was in an arena, and I watched. 2 ends of the Nova Scotia mens in a curling club, you want to guess which looked more professional? What conditions were more conducive to producing quality champions and teams and to get them ready for a championship? Like I said when I started this thread, mark Dacey was right.

Last edited by Borough Boy on 03-28-15 at 12:12PM

04-01-15 05:49AM
Ventry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ventry Click here to Send Ventry a Private Message Find more posts by Ventry Add Ventry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

It's pretty simple. If you want to have a inclusive event, one that promotes curling broadly, encourages participation, and maximizes opportunity to play against elite competition for all teams you can figure out a way to make it happen.

I cannot for the life of me understand out how a pool system or a 13 team round robin changes things so dramatically for sponsors or logistically. The considerations for these issues seem very minor compared to CCA's mandate, one in which they receive significant federal funding for, of promoting the sport and participation. Here is a breakdown of CCA's funding: http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1414163496704/1414163642902

Any talk of CCA being guided by federal funding provisions, IMO, is very questionable.

It seems clear the only priority here is to not disrupt a 12 team round robin and the CCA is willing to sacrifice a national institution in order to do so.

I would rather see a country who has the most participation in a sport than being a world champion. I would rather see a provincial association prioritize participation than potentially expend its resources on creating arena conditions for a very limited amount of teams.

04-01-15 05:52AM
Ventry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ventry Click here to Send Ventry a Private Message Find more posts by Ventry Add Ventry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

You are missing my point, forget the Olympics. Look PRIOR to the olympics, he had been to multiple briers and qualified for grand slams. Did not have exhaustive sponsorship but was able to qualify and play In these high caliber events and all that from Newfoundland.

Look prior to Russ Howard, Gushue was still successful and playing in these events, nobody can discount what happened after going to the Olympics but the point is, he was doing what you suggest can't be done, prior to the Olympic run.

In theory though, there could be teams from every province and territory who "make the effort" to get sponsors and travel and still be excluded from the Brier.

04-01-15 06:40AM
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

100% agree. There is a slam in Truro NS next year, Even if they have a couple local teams allowed to play that would be a great incentive. Have a couple winners of local spiels able to qualify and then you will see these teams are able to compete with most of the slam teams.

All of this is based on money considerations though. If the event does not work financially or giving up spots to local qualifiers is not beneficial to the event, this won't happen. The WCT is completely money-driven, as are the teams who participate.

That some teams can make a semi-pro career in curling work is really irrelevant and, IMO, should not be part of a discussion on the Brier or the mandate of the CCA.

Are there curlers from the weaker regions who are just as talented as the stronger regions? Junior championships results seem to indicate this.

Does the gap in results at the Brier indicate teams from the weaker regions aren't willing to make the effort to better themselves by getting sponsors or travelling? IMO, financial realities and demographics would seem to be very relevant in assessing this. Noone is holding a gun to the head of teams that do participate in the Slam events and deeming them to be more worthy of Brier participation seems like a very weak and unfair argument.

04-03-15 12:23PM
drghfx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drghfx Click here to Send drghfx a Private Message Visit drghfx's homepage! Find more posts by drghfx Add drghfx to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drghfx
Knee-Slider

What would happen if Halifax got to host the Brier and the NS team didn't make it in? The revenues would take a major hit!

What if a major province like Ontario ended up relegated because of illness/injuries hitting them two years in a row at the Brier and they lose a relegation game on a pick or something and Ontario isn't in the main Brier field? Think of the hit the TV ratings would take.

The CCA is playing with fire on this.

On the other hand, if teams and players don't want to commit like the teams in other provinces, should they be given a free pass to compete in the main Brier?

04-03-15 12:44PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

for what must be the 100,000th time, the host province ALWAYS is guaranteed participation in the brier. that's not a concern.

what if? what if? what if? those things might happen. seems pretty unlikely, but it very well may. if so, that's a great story. the brier continues as scheduled. not a concern.

04-03-15 05:06PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by drghfx
What would happen if Halifax got to host the Brier and the NS team didn't make it in? The revenues would take a major hit!

What if a major province like Ontario ended up relegated because of illness/injuries hitting them two years in a row at the Brier and they lose a relegation game on a pick or something and Ontario isn't in the main Brier field? Think of the hit the TV ratings would take.

The CCA is playing with fire on this.

On the other hand, if teams and players don't want to commit like the teams in other provinces, should they be given a free pass to compete in the main Brier?

If Ontario was playing that badly they would have to worry about TV ratings anyways. TSN tends to put games on air where the teams are in contention.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!