Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-05-15 02:41PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

2018 Men's Worlds Coming To Vegas

http://www.worldcurling.org/wmcc-lasvegas-2018

Very cool. Awesome to see such a prestigious event coming to the US.

I hope this happens more often in the future. It would be great to see Women's and Men's Worlds come to the US every few years. Hopefully it doesn't cut into Europe or Asia hosting too much though, although with Asia getting two Winter Olympics in a row I don't think I'd have too much of a problem with them missing some turns in favor of Europe or the US.

Women's Worlds in Vegas in 2019? How about it USCA/WCF?

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-05-15 03:09PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

An interesting choice for sure.
My only "concern" is that with the continental cup, its fun atmosphere goes great with the Vegas environment. With a world championship though it's a bit more serious, so it'll be interesting to see how it's done in 2018.

11-05-15 07:59PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Too bad that they tie prime tickets to accommodation in a second class hotel.

11-06-15 02:33PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

YES!

Marking the calendar now.

11-06-15 03:08PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by ObsessiveCurler
An interesting choice for sure.
My only "concern" is that with the continental cup, its fun atmosphere goes great with the Vegas environment. With a world championship though it's a bit more serious, so it'll be interesting to see how it's done in 2018.

I think it will be fine.

I highly doubt they'll have any of the campy stuff going on like they do at the Continental Cup.

On the ice and in the venue I don't think it will be any different than any other Worlds. Outside the only difference will be that it's Vegas as opposed to Swift Current/Basel/Beijing/etc.

Really is a great movie to help grow the sport. The Timing is good too, because it will capitalize on re-vitalized interest from the Winter Olympics that February. Given that, NBCSN would be nuts to not cover this event. I'm sure the venue will be packed every day as well, Vegas is a big draw all over the world.

I'm very hopeful that it ends up being a big success and becomes a regular thing every few years, Men's and Women's.

11-06-15 04:03PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I admit to being mildly surprised that they didn't try to get it into the new arena that's being built right on the strip by MGM Grand.

Although...they intend on NHL as their primary tenant, so maybe the ice is already booked...

That's gonna make for a heck of a "HEy, all you Canadians, come on down, ya hear?" week...imagine if the Worlds *and* the Las Vegas Hard 11's (or whatever the franchise ends up being named) are in town the same week...book your flights now...

11-06-15 04:13PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
I admit to being mildly surprised that they didn't try to get it into the new arena that's being built right on the strip by MGM Grand.

Although...they intend on NHL as their primary tenant, so maybe the ice is already booked...

That's gonna make for a heck of a "HEy, all you Canadians, come on down, ya hear?" week...imagine if the Worlds *and* the Las Vegas Hard 11's (or whatever the franchise ends up being named) are in town the same week...book your flights now...

I was thinking the same thing.

Besides that, the Orleans is a sure thing. You never know what could happen with the other arena...Vegas financing and construction isn't what it used to be, and the event is a long ways off. Just look at all that's happened in the past decade with various properties.

Oh, definitely. I am really stoked for this.

11-06-15 04:45PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Yes, the NHL has secretly booked the new arena - Commissioner Gary Bettman just waiting for the right time and space (and 500 million franchise fee) to announce the Las Vegas NHL franchise.

Oh, that's a given. I'm just surprised they haven't discussed with the NHL sending the Las Vegas Rattlers on the road for 2 weeks in late March/early April 2018

11-06-15 06:13PM
Donr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donr Click here to Send Donr a Private Message Find more posts by Donr Add Donr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donr
Hitting Paint

The NHL would not have much to do with a basketball team......such as the Rattlers........they might have some influence over the ECHL and the Wranglers although i suspect not a heck of a lot

11-06-15 06:43PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Donr
The NHL would not have much to do with a basketball team......such as the Rattlers........they might have some influence over the ECHL and the Wranglers although i suspect not a heck of a lot

Apparently the Wranglers aren't even there anymore:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...asons-las-vegas

Currently I don't believe there is any hockey team in residence at the Orleans Arena.

11-06-15 06:59PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I was referring to whatever the NHL team that's going into Vegas is gonna be named...as in "can we get them out of town for two weeks so we can do World's at the nice big shiny arena?"