M: BC Mens - Island Playdowns
M: BC Mens - Okanagan Playdowns
W: BC Scotties Open Event #1
W: Alberta Scotties - Qualifier 1
M: North of 60 Medical Solutions NWT Junior Championships
W: North of 60 Medical Solutions NWT Junior Championships
W: Wheelchair Curling Baltic League: Stage 3
Default (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2018 World Mens - Las Vegas

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-06-18 12:45AM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Damn page break ruins it

Just ignore ML

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-06-18 02:59AM
skwerl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skwerl Find more posts by skwerl Add skwerl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skwerl
Harvey Hacksmasher

Gushue’s loss to Persinger doesn’t change much for Canada. Their game against Sweden is essentially still a playoff for a bye into the semis, assuming Scotland don’t lose their last two and Gushue doesn’t lose to Germany.

04-06-18 07:53AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

am i right in thinking that all scotland has to do is win one of their matches today to lock up a spot in that top 2 and get the bye to the semi?. even if canada wins both today scotland would have beaten canada and would then finish ahead of them in the standings if both finish on 2 losses right?

norway i think is in the playoffs too with that win over the netherlands. worst they can do is 5 losses so they should be involved somehow and, as far as i know their draw shot challenge is really good.

04-06-18 07:53AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

well this quote from Gushue:

“They played a great game; certainly deserved to win,” said Gushue. “It’s a little bit frustrating at times when we’d miss a shot by an inch and get a terrible result; they’d miss by a foot and get a rosy result.

well, not that I ever liked him that much, but go Edin!

from this story:
http://www.curling.ca/blog/2018/04/...g-championship/

Last edited by CURLER1 on 04-06-18 at 07:07PM

04-06-18 10:24AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

That's the classic case of "It's ok to think it, but don't say it out loud."

Everybody gets good and bad breaks throughout the week.

04-06-18 12:09PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by southerncurler
Damn page break ruins it

Just ignore ML

I think he gets to drinking pretty early in the day.

04-06-18 02:45PM
mikey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mikey Click here to Send mikey a Private Message Find more posts by mikey Add mikey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mikey
Harvey Hacksmasher

On the WCF site the playoff format is #1 vs 3/6 and #2 vs 4/5. With Can finishing in 3rd does SWE or SCO tank their last game to finish #2?

04-06-18 02:57PM
skwerl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skwerl Find more posts by skwerl Add skwerl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skwerl
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
am i right in thinking that all scotland has to do is win one of their matches today to lock up a spot in that top 2 and get the bye to the semi?. even if canada wins both today scotland would have beaten canada and would then finish ahead of them in the standings if both finish on 2 losses right?

norway i think is in the playoffs too with that win over the netherlands. worst they can do is 5 losses so they should be involved somehow and, as far as i know their draw shot challenge is really good.

Had Canada beaten Sweden then Scotland could have finished 3rd with a 1-1 record today. Bringing Sweden into the head to head nullifies Mouat’s advantage there so it would have come down to DSC. Scotland are currently third among the 3 (0.06cm behind Sweden!).

All irrelevant now.

Last edited by skwerl on 04-06-18 at 03:00PM

04-06-18 02:58PM
skwerl
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by mikey
On the WCF site the playoff format is #1 vs 3/6 and #2 vs 4/5. With Can finishing in 3rd does SWE or SCO tank their last game to finish #2?

1st seed gets the lowest ranked qualifier no matter what.

04-06-18 04:25PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

great come from behind win for scotland over switzerland to secure that bye. when i left it wasn't looking good for them. very well done. they've just crushed a lot of teams recently . good character shown to battle back even when they maybe weren't playing at their best

so we know the top 2 teams just not the spots.

canada will be 3rd.

norway is in but just not known what position

04-06-18 04:42PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

maybe it's just me but gushue is just coming off sounding pissy and arrogant in these after match interviews when he loses. some after the sweden game:

“Outside of the three, I thought we were as good (as Sweden) or better,” said Gushue. “We put some pressure on them in a number of ends. Niklas himself played real well. But I liked everything about that game other than our start.
“It was just two shots (in the first end), really. That’s all it was. I feel like — well, I know we’re the best team in the world. It’s not a matter of feeling it. So I knew that we would outcurl them for (the final nine ends). It’s just that three is a lot to spot them. But I felt we could grind back.”

this is from the curling canada website. full article here/on the curling.ca website.

http://www.curling.ca/blog/2018/04/...g-championship/

04-06-18 05:25PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Brad got a bit of a FIGJAM complex going on.

It would be refreshing if he occasionally just said "We got outplayed. The other guys played better than us today"

04-06-18 06:12PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi
Brad got a bit of a FIGJAM complex going on.

It would be refreshing if he occasionally just said "We got outplayed. The other guys played better than us today"

Again, think it don't say it.

You would think after doing post game interviews for over 15 years now he'd know how to do it without pissing people off, or make yourself sound foolish.

NHL as the example, players are taught day one how to give an interview without even saying anything.

" Yeah we need to get the puck deep and put some pressure on their D and force some turnovers. . Need to get more traffic in front of their net and create more offense"

Every NHL'er says the same thing and says nothing.

What Gushue should have said was "They made a great shot for 3 in the first end. Both teams played great the rest of the way. We battled back and just came up a bit short. I hope we get another chance to play them in the playoffs."

04-06-18 06:18PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Brad has been listening too much to his shrink Doc. Psycho babble and never admitting he had a bad shot. Blames it on the rock, the ice , the sweepers, even Mark but never ever do you hear the words I f****ed up.

04-06-18 06:45PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Goo will certainly be up for upset in the 3 vs. 6 or 4 vs. 5 game; whichever he's entered into.

3 down off the hop to one of curling's legendary monsters - Goo spent the entire game draining clock, making plausible decisions and clawing his way back to tied without hammer comin' home - vs. most world or Canadian fawns he's have anywhere from 40% to 65% chance to pick up the duke.

vs. E-Monster - about 5.5%

04-06-18 07:23PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

Anyone have a handle on which teams advance if there's a 4 way tie at 6 losses?

04-06-18 07:42PM
skwerl
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Anyone have a handle on which teams advance if there's a 4 way tie at 6 losses?

Switzerland and Russia would go through by head to head (both 2-1 to Korea and USA’s 1-2).

Korea and Russia are through if they win.

Switzerland are through if they or Russia win

USA are through if they and Korea win.

04-06-18 07:51PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by skwerl

Switzerland and Russia would go through by head to head (both 2-1 to Korea and USA’s 1-2).

Korea and Russia are through if they win.

Switzerland are through if they or Russia win

USA are through if they and Korea win.

i'm gonna go with that last scenario. korea and USA will win to complete the lineup. which will set up a united states v.s canada rematch

04-06-18 11:09PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

Is there a scenario where it would come down to draw scores depending on who beat who in a 3-4 way tie?

04-07-18 12:22AM
Burned_Broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Burned_Broom Click here to Send Burned_Broom a Private Message Find more posts by Burned_Broom Add Burned_Broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Burned_Broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Is there a scenario where it would come down to draw scores depending on who beat who in a 3-4 way tie?

They would go to draw scores if there was a 3-way tie and all 3 teams were 1-1 against each other which was impossible after the afternoon draw.

04-07-18 08:56AM
skwerl
Harvey Hacksmasher

So after finding themselves looking down the barrel early in the week Team USA rattles off an improbable streak of wins including one against Team Canada to set up a rematch with the Canadians in the playoffs.

Think I’ve seen this movie before.

04-07-18 09:16AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I would be happy to see Sweden win gold, they have lost their funding and a world championship will go a long way to helping secure some sponsorship.

Given that Mark lost his mother just before the worlds, I think it’s amazing he is pushing through. Something is off about Canada though. Burnout maybe? I feel this year it will be bronze for Gushue.

Last edited by curlerbroad on 04-07-18 at 09:44AM

04-07-18 09:23AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
I Something is off about Canada though. Burnout maybe? I feel this year it will be bronze for Gushue.
I agree. It seems like the drive, the will, has been punctured. Brad has his old arrogance back. What is left for them? They don't want it bad enough. Maybe team chemistry (as a business model) is starting to shatter. Good luck Team Canada. Good luck Team Korea.

04-07-18 09:41AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i'm hoping scotland wins the whole thing. been a long time since a young team like this won the world championship and it would pretty awsome to see happen. this is such a great young team. fun to watch, capable of making everything.

however here's how i think things will play out from here:

korea def. norway
canada def. united states

SF

sweden def. korea
canada def. scotland

Bronze

scotland def. korea

Gold

canada def. sweden

compared to how i would like to see it play out:

norway def. korea

SF

norway def. sweden
scotland def. canada

Bronze:

sweden def. canada

Gold

scotland def. norway

04-07-18 09:44AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
i'm hoping scotland wins the whole thing. been a long time since a young team like this won the world championship and it would pretty awsome to see happen. this is such a great young team. fun to watch, capable of making everything.

however here's how i think things will play out from here:

korea def. norway

SF

sweden def. korea
canada def. scotland

Bronze

scotland def. korea

Gold

canada def. sweden

compared to how i would like to see it play out:

norway def. korea

SF

norway def. sweden
scotland def. canada

Bronze:

sweden def. canada

Gold

scotland def. norway

Hmm..not sure Norway will defeat Sweden, they want this a lot.