Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
08-26-14 04:23PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Howards new team

Isn't this going to be great to watch. Looking forward to seeing these guys having some fun and just being out there.

http://www.insidehalton.com/sports-...curling-season/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

08-26-14 07:18PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

No question! I'll definitely be rooting for these guys.

08-27-14 04:12PM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

What is really interesting is you have 4 totally different deliveries! Glenn is going to have to really be on his toes!

I hope they do great!

08-28-14 10:06AM
Skinz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skinz Click here to Send Skinz a Private Message Find more posts by Skinz Add Skinz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skinz
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
[B
They will be super hard to dis-lodge out of Ontario. Major favourite for most cash events they chose to enter. [/B]

No free ride to provincials since they are not the defending champions. They have to win their way through zones and regions first.....anything can happen!

08-28-14 09:03PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

Glenn might consider Richard throw second stones for 5-rock FGZ events. Martin used this in his victory lap at last years Players with Nedohin. More draws played at second position and greater need for hitting at third (this was Martin's thinking). Not certain I agree yet (always want to look at some data before drawing any concrete conlusions) but based on gut feel it would seem to make sense.

08-30-14 08:40AM
Desifan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Desifan Click here to Send Desifan a Private Message Find more posts by Desifan Add Desifan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Desifan
Hitting Paint

I know Howard has been around a long time and I respect that, but it would be nice to see some new faces win, a younger team.

08-30-14 12:04PM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

I think Richard Hart's knowledge of strategy and reading of the ice would be wasted if he threw second. They can all draw!

08-30-14 12:20PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288
I think Richard Hart's knowledge of strategy and reading of the ice would be wasted if he threw second. They can all draw!

Strategy doesn't apply (they are all in the ice) and I suspect both Jon and Richard can read ice comparably. Yes they can all draw but we're talking about strength vs greater strength. Jon is one of the finest hitters the game has ever seen.

Then again, the intangible of Glenn being comfortable yapping with Rich at the far end between shots does account for something.

I might be the CurlWithMath guy but I still recognize numbers can't explain everything.

08-30-14 12:22PM
milobloom
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by milobloom

Strategy doesn't apply (they are all in the ice) and I suspect both Jon and Richard can read ice comparably. Yes they can all draw but we're talking about strength vs greater strength. Jon is one of the finest hitters the game has ever seen.

Then again, the intangible of Glenn being comfortable yapping with Rich at the far end between shots does account for something.

I might be the CurlWithMath guy but I still recognize numbers can't explain everything.

Actually, Rich can still call line and throw second stones. In fact, might be preferred for Jons sweeping ability. Given their age, they might want to take turns (or bring in a pinch sweeper).

08-30-14 01:57PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

One of the things that math certainly can't do is predict the resilience and chemistry of a new team. Though what it can tell you is that over the years no curler has taken more bad beats and bounced back to win yet another world championship and/or a Grand Slam than Glenn. A lot of those beats coming with Richy at Vice. Adding a seasoned vet, fellow World Champion, and fellow humorist like Mead can only help one would expect.

Given their experience and personalities it seems a lock that this is one team that will never implode and never stop trying. They know from direct experience that everything can turn around with the next game where they suddenly go from in the dumps to unbeatable. So no matter what their form is going into any event they will be a legitimate threat each time out. Except perhaps for the Koe four no team out there is asking for more.

As to who plays where I really don't think it makes any difference in terms of strategy with this team. After all Glenn was one of the principal pioneers of the 'hands off the wheel' mode of skipping. I.e. Deferring to the team for both the shot and the broom. Another of the guys I credit with this development is 'The Wrench'. Who had one of the finest curling minds of all-time playing lead for him the late great
Neil Harrison. Aka 'Harry'. I don't think that it's a coincidence that Glenn and Eddy played at a very high level at another position before settling in as skip. They literally knew how the other half lived and were keen to improve the dynamic. Today I can't think of any successful team that doesn't use a team strategy to call the game and the ice.

When I started curling in the 70's if skips were cast in any mold it was a bust of Stalin:-) I.e. Question them at your peril. As a result there was some truly legendary blow-ups cause on a lot of teams there was no other way to be heard. A change that I think has made it easier for front end guys to be happier in their position and much more into the game. It now really is a team game where every position matters.

I'm very much looking forward to playing in their curling camp in October. My first ever curling camp. To which my teammates will no doubt say, "Well, better late than never."