Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Team Homan's 'Golden Year'

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-21-16 10:51AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Team Homan's 'Golden Year'

Team Homan is getting ever closer - if they ain't already there - to that rarest of places in sport. I.e. Not only do they know they're going to win the game, but the other team knows it as well.

Team Martin in 2008-2010 achieved that kind of aura of invincibility. The two best games in the history of the Brier - IMO - were back to back against Team Howard in 2009. Last game of the RR, for first place, and first game of the Page to reach the Finals. Despite Team Howard playing as well as they ever have, they could not find a way to win and Team Martin could not find a way to lose.

Team Homan is establishing that kind of dynamic this year. The only thing they didn't win was due to ice conditions in the 'Fog Spiel' out east.

We've seen this kind of 'Golden Moment' with the Golden Bear and Tiger in golf. With Federer and Graf in tennis. With the Oilers and Habs in hockey. It never lasts forever but is special when it does and is the essence of greatness in sport.

The STOH promises to be a real battle royale this year with the entire field desperate to prove that Team Homan can be beaten and can't have everything. (they first have to make it there of course) Team Jones by contrast is already in. Alberta will have Sweeting or Carey or Rocque. Lawton probably will make it out of Saskatchenwan. Be a great story line if Kathy Overton-Clapham made it back to the show to take on Jones. And how's about another Jones out of Nova Scotia? That'd be wild and whacky. The 'Lion in Winter' against the new giants of the game. Team Homan, if they get there, will be uber hungry to get back to the World's for some unfinished business.

Whoever makes it, women's curling has never been better or ever been in better shape both at home and abroad. No small part of that being that they now play as interesting a game to watch as the men. And for we at the club curling level a more relatable game as well.

Last edited by JB42 on 01-21-16 at 01:31PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-21-16 12:57PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

It only takes one bad 10th end to kiss a golden season goodbye! Team Homan knows that first hand.

01-21-16 01:17PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Too true when you are talking about the Olympic berth and games.

As Jeff Stoughton and Glen Howard and Mike Harris know.

First off you gotta make it to the Trials, then you gotta make the playoffs then you gotta make the final, then you gotta win the darn thing. And that only gets you there! Then it starts all over again.

You gotta make the playoffs, get to the final, avoid getting sick, and also win the darn thing.

Phew! I get exhausted just thinking about it. I can't imagine what the wringer is like going through it all. All the more Kudos to Team Jones for following up their Olympic year so well.

01-21-16 02:14PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

It would be sad to think their "golden year" happens four years before 3/4 of the team turns thirty, especially when you consider what Jones did in their thirties and beyond. In terms of win ratio they may never top this year (has anyone?), but they can definitely continue to improve over the next decade.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

01-21-16 03:53PM
JB42
Drawmaster

I'm quite sure that Team Homan, or any other team, would be extremely proud and grateful for any year as good as this one has already been.

That said. I'm sure that, like most of the top teams, they will feel they have left something undone if they never make it to the Olympics. As I'm sure Glen Howard feels about a career that is second only to one. I.e. Kevin Martin. Who made it to three!!! Olympics.

01-21-16 04:15PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
I'm quite sure that Team Homan, or any other team, would be extremely proud and grateful for any year as good as this one has already been.

That said. I'm sure that, like most of the top teams, they will feel they have left something undone if they never make it to the Olympics. As I'm sure Glen Howard feels about a career that is second only to one. I.e. Kevin Martin. Who made it to three!!! Olympics.

what other year besides 02 and 10?

01-21-16 04:20PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

The round robin game between Martin and Howard at the 2009 curling trials was a epic game...

As a fan of the Howard team I felt no confidence at all they would beat Martin at the trials final.. After a blank in End 1 Howard missed a very makeable double or runback on his last rock in End 2 and Martin had a easy draw to get 2 and you could just sense it was deja vu a sinking feeling of it wasn't going to happen and Martin was destined to win the game

The loss to Martin in the 1-2 game at the 2009 Brier I think was very deflating for the Howard team.. They didnt recover from that loss and it showed against Stoughton during the semifinal game

01-21-16 04:23PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by decade

what other year besides 02 and 10?

1992 curling was a demonstration sport at those Olympics.. I think Martin lost to the USA(Bud Sommerville) in the bronze medal game 9-2 and he has publically said that was one of the more devastating losses he has experienced

Last edited by Rock Your World on 01-21-16 at 04:26PM

01-21-16 04:42PM
JB42
Drawmaster

Such are the vagaries of sport Rock Your World.

Howard never got over the line in the Trials, and Martin had a hell of a time getting over the line in International competitions.

He failed to win Gold in, World Juniors, Three out of four World Championships, and 2 out of 3 Olympics. This from the guy who is - rightly - called the greatest men's curler of all time.

Glenn Howard by contrast made four World Championships and won them all. On the flip side he lost 7.....that's right count em up....7 Brier finals. Still making 11 Brier Finals is going to be a tough record for anyone to equal. Gushue at this rate is going to have to live, well, forever, to have a chance...lol....

Homan still hasn't won an international gold.
And Canada hasn't won a Women's World Championship since 2008!
And who is going to tell you that Homan and Jones ain't the two best women's teams in the world? Noooooooobody. (Apparently Mel Lastman really likes Eve Muirhead. Inside Toronto joke:-)

To my mind the truest way to rate accomplishment is to look beyond the wins to who put themselves in the position to win time and time again. Howard made 15 Briers and made the playoffs in 14. Won fourteen Grand Slams. Martin made the World's four time. Won 15 Grand Slams and three Player's Championships before that. Made three Olympic teams. Once you've done the work of putting yourself in position all you can do is play loose, stay focused, stay positive and hope the gods smile on you. Sometimes they chip it in from off the green or out of the bunker or from the fairway and......what r ya gonna do? Ask Greg Norman. Sometimes you just got to get in your private jet, open a bottle of champagne and be thankful for what you do have.

Admittedly easier when you have a private jet and someone to serve you champagne....:-)

01-24-16 07:08PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

OOOPS...

01-24-16 08:05PM
JB42
Drawmaster

Such is the nature of our great game.

Russ Howard, Hall of Famer, won exactly 2 Briers. Kevin Martin, greatest curler of all time. Made 12 Briers in a 30 year career. Glen Howard second best record in the history of curling made 15 Briers in a 30 year career.

Our great game is just flat out tough to dominate. Team Homan will of course be disappointed at failing to clear this hurdle. My guess is it won't slow them down very much for the rest of the year's Grand Slams.

Team Jones will now of course be a major favourite. Me I'll be pulling for McCarville. Before Homan was on my radar I had thought she was the natural heir to the curling summit. Let's see if Team McCarville can take advantage of this more open than most STOH.

01-24-16 08:11PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Such is the nature of our great game.

Russ Howard, Hall of Famer, won exactly 2 Briers. Kevin Martin, greatest curler of all time. Made 12 Briers in a 30 year career. Glen Howard second best record in the history of curling made 15 Briers in a 30 year career.

Our great game is just flat out tough to dominate. Team Homan will of course be disappointed at failing to clear this hurdle. My guess is it won't slow them down very much for the rest of the year's Grand Slams.

Team Jones will now of course be a major favourite. Me I'll be pulling for McCarville. Before Homan was on my radar I had thought she was the natural heir to the curling summit. Let's see if Team McCarville can take advantage of this more open than most STOH.

I'm a Homan fan and I'm disappointed for her and her team. I'm going to cheer for Einarson at the upcoming Scotties. Her interview made me happy for her. She seems like a real down to earth person and her interview was... just happy.

01-24-16 09:26PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I too am pleased for Einarson (nee Flett). A few years back she was in the middle of a debacle requiring the intervention of the Officials during the Manitoba Scotties in Selkirk. The opposing team who obscurely pounced (right or wrong) with the rule book - none other than Team JJones. So, this skip has faced a lot in her young career, including family tragedy and more. She is tough and focussed. A real leader. I will not be one bit surprised to see her qualify. Where is the scotties this year? (Thanks @Curler1)

Last edited by nelski on 01-24-16 at 09:30PM

01-24-16 09:27PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
I too am pleased for Einarson (nee Flett). A few years back she was in the middle of a debacle requiring the intervention of the Officials during the Manitoba Scotties in Selkirk. The opposing team who obscurely pounced (right or wrong) with the rule book - none other than Team JJones. So, this skip has faced a lot in her young career, including family tragedy and more. She is tough and focussed. A real leader. I will not be one bit surprised to see her qualify. Where is the scotties this year?

Scottie's - Grand Prairie.

01-25-16 09:41PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

The Homan golden year ....with lots left

quote:

2015-16 Season- Team Homan

Stu Sells Oakville Tankard, Oakville, ON Sept 3-7 - CHAMPIONS

Pinty's GSOC Tour Challenge, Paradise, NL Sept 8-13 - RUNNER-UP

Stockholm Ladies Cup, Stockholm, Sweden Sept 25-27 - CHAMPIONS

Curlers Corner Autumn Gold Curling Classic, Calgary, AB Oct 9-12 - CHAMPIONS

Pinty's GSOC Masters of Curling, Truro, NS Oct 27 - Nov 1 - CHAMPIONS

Pinty's GSOC The National, Oshawa, ON Nov 11-15 - CHAMPIONS

Canada Cup of Curling, Grande Prairie, AB Dec 2-6 - CHAMPIONS

Pinty's GSOC Canadian Open, Yorkton, SK Dec 8-13 - CHAMPIONS

Pinty's All-Star Curling Skins Game, Banff, AB Jan 8-10 - $7,500

WFG Continental Cup of Curling, Las Vegas, NV Jan 14-17 - CHAMPIONS

Ontario Scotties , Brampton, ON January 18-24 - RUNNER-UP

Pinty's GSOC Players' Championship, Toronto, ON Apr 12-17

Pinty's GSOC Champions Cup, Sherwood Park, AB Apr 26-May 1

01-26-16 01:05AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Very much like McEwen's year last year. Great but lacking.

01-26-16 01:26AM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

Continental Cup Champions?

please!

01-26-16 02:28AM
JB42
Drawmaster

They had an unprecedentedly brilliant start to the season. But it's true they didn't finish it off as brilliantly as they started it. At a guess. They have another 10 years at putting all of the pieces of the puzzle together in a way that has never been done before.

01-26-16 02:32AM
JB42
Drawmaster

To those that have already forgotten.

They already have in their CV. An unbeaten Scotties shooting 90% as a team. Something no team has ever done. They also had a Scotties championship with only one loss.

Plus. I got precisely zero time for those who fail to understand that Grand Slams are as important as national championships as far as determining the best teams in the world.

01-26-16 02:48AM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

straw man

quote:
I got precisely zero time for those who fail to understand that Grand Slams are as important as national championships as far as determining the best teams in the world.

Has anyone seriously suggested that Grand Slams are NOT important, or that Team Homan is NOT one of the best teams in the world?

01-26-16 03:29AM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

The Slam fields are generally tougher but a team has multiple chances to win in a year as opposed to the one shot only Scotties. The pressure is definitely intensified. In Homan's case her Great White Whale is THE WORLDS (aside from the Olympics). With each passing year the team fails to sleigh the monster the anxiety will mount. There's plenty of time left (a decade +) to win one or multiple titles, but that's as much an assumption as fact. Nothing is guaranteed. They've shown that even with their superior skill how difficult it is to get over the hurdle, and it'll only get tougher as teams continue to improve. Teams ranging from Val Sweeting & KR all the way to Mary Fay.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

Last edited by Radio-Man on 01-26-16 at 03:31AM

01-26-16 12:46PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

I wonder whether Team Homan is 100% committed to continuing on their journey - after being toppled by Jenn Hanna?

I'm sure they are committed through 2018, but after that who knows? Particularly if they don't win the trials or Olympics. Rachel could decide to move to Alberta, Emma may want to give skipping a try, or perhaps they want new challenges with different teammates. Starting a family could become a big focus as well. It's easy to assume that time is on their side and the team will stay together for the next ten years, but that's all fiction at this point.

01-26-16 12:48PM
NLcurlingguy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NLcurlingguy Click here to Send NLcurlingguy a Private Message Find more posts by NLcurlingguy Add NLcurlingguy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NLcurlingguy
Harvey Hacksmasher

I am sure the Mean Girls are just as committed to continuing on despite their recent big loss. I'm sure they are all aware that they hit a bad game at a bad time. No more to it than that. No doubt, they realize their talent and their potential. And, they are focused on the Olympics I'm sure.

Despite this recent trip up, I still say that Team Homan is the next Women's' Olympic Gold Medalists

01-26-16 03:15PM
NLcurlingguy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NLcurlingguy Click here to Send NLcurlingguy a Private Message Find more posts by NLcurlingguy Add NLcurlingguy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NLcurlingguy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Oh I agree....it won't be no gimmee.

As for the Swedes' slumber....man, that was some apple that put them to sleep! Might take more than 1 prince's kiss to bring them out of it.

Maria Prytz was a sharpshooter in the past but the last couple of year have been underwhelming. Kind of a shame, I enjoyed watching that team...much like the way I enjoy watching the Paetz crew now.

01-26-16 03:49PM
NLcurlingguy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Ha Ha Ha Dordy Nordby Colorful to say the least!!