Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2019 Women's Worlds- Silkeborg

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-17-19 06:07PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Just love how Dana & Rachel engage with the fans (and the camera). They both have such ebulllient personalities. Dana is really underrated as a professional 2nd while Brown is more engaged than almost any lead I've seen over the last 40 years. She sticks her nose in to any conversation and wants the essential information - thats great. She doesn't dominate conversations.
Other great front ends - Maryanne & Nancy rarely worked the crowds. Jill & Dawn were pretty tight - rigidly serious most of the time - Jill kinda loosened up in the last 3 or 4 years.
Courtney & Weagle are all business - ultra-focused on the tasks at hand (ie. making shots and communicating the right info)

Brown & Fergie have a different role with Carey - they were Val Sweetings "giggle girls" for year - Carey & Val are totally different types of personalities. Val is so easy-going, nothing seemed to upset her. Chelsea's switch can go on and off numerous times during a game, during a tournament, even during an end. The front end are really trying to keep CC loose.
Sarah Wilkes is a revelation - she's glommed onto the ice really well, isn't one of those loud 3rd, but she's quietly efficient and seems to be a calming influence on Chelsea.
So far, Wilkes & Ferguson are super super in terms of their shot percentages - a strong middle is one great key to the great teams.

Carey still drags some old nasty habits with her. Her indecisive way of closing out games is always on display for fans to see. Couple examples so far, especially that awful 3 Korea applied for - and got!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-18-19 06:50AM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Hitting Paint

Not exactly the finest curling in the featured match this morning, tons of misses from both the Americans and the Fins.

Last edited by southerncurler on 03-18-19 at 06:58AM

03-18-19 07:30AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Observer
Cheryl Barnard has tweeted that the reason she’s not there yet is because of a conflict with her other job.

I sent Cheryl a tweet and she responded that her day job DEFINITELY kept her at home until the w/end. TSN graciously said "we'll see you on the w/end".

03-18-19 10:14AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Watched about five minutes of that Women's Worlds "barn burner" on Sunday between Canada and Latvia. Looked like the attendance, paid or unpaid, was in the 60 - 80 range. I can now understand why Denmark was selected to host this event. Another example why curling outside of Canada is in deep, deep doo-doo.

Spent the remainder of the afternoon watching The Players at Sawgrass . The expected attendance was guesstimated to be around 36,000. The purse: $ 10,000,000. Cost of a ticket: $ 60.00. Parking: $ 35.00. Cost of a hot dog : $ 8.00, (about $ 10.50 Cdn.)

03-18-19 10:28AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Canada looked pretty average against Latvia they need to be better than that against some of the other teams.

While curling in the USA is healthy as it is in Canada, I have to agree it isn't in the rest of the world. Where are the crowds?

03-18-19 10:51AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
Watched about five minutes of that Women's Worlds "barn burner" on Sunday between Canada and Latvia. Looked like the attendance, paid or unpaid, was in the 60 - 80 range. I can now understand why Denmark was selected to host this event. Another example why curling outside of Canada is in deep, deep doo-doo.

Cdn.)

Putting the worlds in an arena that holds 500 people pretty well sums up curling in Europe.
WCF is at least smart enough to put it in a place that holds 10000 ( are you listening Curl Canada)

03-18-19 12:25PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Canada looked pretty average against Latvia they need to be better than that against some of the other teams.

Looked pretty average again today against Japan. Just not very sharp, with too many half shots.

03-18-19 01:03PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Chelsea just hates playing Asian teams, lol. Lost to Japan and Korea in 2016 too.

In all seriousness though the team, and Chelsea in particular are looking out of sorts. They need to get it together quick though because 2 losses now with games against Switzerland, China, Sweden, the united states and Russia to come isnt a good spot to he in.

The saving grace for her is that it appears as though, with the exceptions of China and maybe Sweden no one is looking that great either. 5 or 6 losses should again be okay but Chelsea wouldnt want to hit that mark.

On a side note I find it disgusting the vitriol and some of the comments this team and Chelsea in particular are getting online

03-18-19 01:27PM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Click here to Send maybo a Private Message Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
On a side note I find it disgusting the vitriol and some of the comments this team and Chelsea in particular are getting online

Agreed. Admittedly, I’m a fan, but I believe Chelsea is a first-class person and great ambassador for both curling and Canada.

03-18-19 04:26PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Chelsey has every right to look annoyed with the way the others are curling. Looks like coach Dan and CC hanger on Elaine should haul them out for a practice. Less giggling more shot making.

03-18-19 05:00PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

From what I've seen it's the whole team struggling, especially carey with draw weight. Last game she came up 10-15 feet short 3 times and threw takeout weight with an open draw for 2. They are barely squeaking by teams that they should be annihilating and shaking after 6. What happens when they play the better teams. they better snap out of it.

Come on!! Go Canada Go.

03-18-19 06:00PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Chelsey has every right to look annoyed with the way the others are curling. Looks like coach Dan and CC hanger on Elaine should haul them out for a practice. Less giggling more shot making.

Coach Dan will never go against 1st daughter - thats how they roll.

Percentages aren't abysmal - but the results are spotty. Until today Sarah & Dana were holding up their bargain - only Rachel & Chelsea were floundering. Hard to explain!

Not much certainty of strategy by Carey - at least with Jones you knew JJ was going for the jugular when she had last rock and defending vigorously when she took the lead.

The oddest thing I've noticed is Chelsea & Sarah agreeing to one course on the tee - but when Chelsea gets in the hack she starts badging her front end for a slightly different shot - or tiny outcomes she wants to achieve.

The result - PAINFUL TO WATCH

Better pick up your game girls, especially when playing China, Russia, USA & Sweden. They won't give you an unlimited amount of second chances!

Chelsea is so terrified of making a bad decision she's making a series of non-decisions!

03-18-19 06:37PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Chelsey has every right to look annoyed with the way the others are curling.
Chelsea isn't playing particularly well either. The whole team is having trouble.

They were fortunate today that Finland played even more poorly than they did.

03-19-19 11:30AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

scotland has come alive in these last couple ends and suddenly canada in trouble. sophie jackson herself has played really well in the back half of this game.

amde some beautiful draws to put canada under pressure and exposed chelsea's still non existant draw weight.

id be really concerned if i were chelsea, that, by my 6th game i still hadnt figured out draw weight consistently

Last edited by misty1 on 03-19-19 at 11:33AM

03-19-19 11:46AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

chelsea has had every opportunity to win this game. chance for 4 in 7 missed. had the draw for the win just now and missed.

if she loses this one it's going to be hard to recover. and 3 losses with the stronger teams to come isnt a good position to be in

03-19-19 12:05PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

and now the loss to scotland.

they go into this stretch now:

united states
china
switzerland
russia
sweden
denmark

you'd think they need to go at least 4-2 in that stretch but with their form it's entirely possible they go something like 2-4

03-19-19 01:40PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

I predict no future in playoffs for Canada. Hope I’m wrong. That would be like Manitoba idiot in 90% of his posts.

03-19-19 01:43PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Its only 1 game. This jolly group of canadians is having fun tossing rocks up and down the sheets with no apparent purpose.

3-3 now.
Prolly rally and go 3-3 in the final 6; a walkover on Denmark is the only near guarantee

Raytch Homan would be here but she booked flights before coming up a few inches short in the 10th & extra ends vs. Carey in STOH gold medal game.

03-19-19 04:26PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by guido
I predict no future in playoffs for Canada. Hope I’m wrong. That would be like Manitoba idiot in 90% of his posts.

You’re not...Canada lost big time to the USA...sounds like we’d better start sending our teams to more international bonspiel again. Very few Canadian teams competed overseas this year.

I predict no podium finish this year for Canada.

03-19-19 04:44PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I don't recall another Canadian women's team that got to 2 world championships and failed to podium in both.

Both Jones got there 6 times each and both struggled for 2 gold. I think JJ nabbed a couple other medals. (1 Silver, 1 bronze)

Carey could go down as the only canadian women's team to fail to medal in two world outings.

Heather Nedohin is the closest I could find - but she bronzed in her two tours to worlds!

03-19-19 04:48PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I really don't know why Carey & Co. have come up so sour at this event.

I do know that Rachel Homan & Jennifer Jones (our two feature canadian teams) are extremely well prepared on so many levels.

Jones has lost a lot of her edge - but if she had somehow badgered her way to a 7th Scotties title - she would have found a way to sneak into the playoff round at worlds. No guarantee she'd medal - but you never bet against JJ. even with her recent predilection to squander shots, curl 45% games, etc.

Homan would have easily got to the playoff round - they're trained killers. Rachel's problem would have been winning nail-biters vs. equally well-prepared teams like Russia, China, Korea in the medal round.

03-19-19 04:57PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Hey folks, don't forget to play the Manitoba Legend Drinking Game! Rules are on the CZ question thread.

The game will help you tolerate the torrent of posts from ML!

03-19-19 05:18PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

No shock

There is no real surprise with this current version of Team Canada. The only surprise would be how they managed to beat Homan in the Scotties final.

There is not one single world class player in the entire team's lineup. That coupled with Carey's indecision, poor team sweeping, poor team strategy, and poor execution have put the team in a near must win out scenario just to make playoffs, and they still have some good opponents to play.

At this point, I think making playoffs would be a surprise, let alone having a podium finish.

03-19-19 05:48PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

its not over yet.

its important fans dont abandon them either. if your a true canadian fan you stick with them even when they struggle. in fact you should support them more now because they really need it

instead of coming on here and finding different ways of tearing them down whether it be full out by declaring them to be not top level curlers or the way legend does and post unfortunate pieces of trivia.

i still believe they can turn this around. i also believe one good win can kick start them. first or second is out the door now but i still believe they can get a top 6.

6-6 might not look great but its just the getting there they need to do. china and sweden look good but i dont believe anyone else is out of their reach and im not saying a win over either one is out of the question entirely

03-19-19 05:48PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Top 6 make the playoffs here, so it's not all doom and gloom yet. But there's no way to sugar coat it - they are playing really poorly right now. Even their 3 wins were mostly a result of a weak opponent playing even worse. They could turn things around, but the tough opponents are still to come, so they'll need to earn it now.