Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Which skill is most important

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
09-22-14 11:17AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Which skill is most important

I have left this topic a bit vague to get people to click, and will be more specific here.

Which skill is more important for a very new curler to learn:
1.) Throwing with the proper weight.
2.) Hitting the broom with the rock as it leaves their hand.

Obviously both are important, but both cannot be the answer for this question, it is either 1 or 2. And since I know people on here are going to make this difficult and use scenarios, and ask a bunch of questions, here is all the info that you have available to you.

The team is made up of 3 people who have completed a learn to curl 2 hour training. The skip is knowledgeable about the game, but is far from elite. The games are being played against very similarly skilled teams. There is no goal to win these games, only improve, I give this disclaimer so that the answer will not be just try to throw 8 draws into the house anywhere on any line, and make the other beginners have to hit the rocks out, which they probably cant and you will win. Assume that these games are about mastering skills only, and I want to know which of those 2 basic skills is the better one to master first.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

09-22-14 12:01PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

IMO - hitting the broom because weight is pretty obvious and can be practiced on your own - plus as they get better, their sweeping will get better so their margin of error on weight increases.

If you can install confidence in the curlers that they can (and do) hit the broom, then they can stop worrying about it and start focusing on one thing instead of three.

09-22-14 01:19PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

I vote for none of the above. New curlers need to learn and practice balance. With balance, hitting the broom and throwing the correct weight become easier. If a newbie is leaning on the rock or a crutch, they have less chance to improve.

JH
not a fan of the crutch for new curlers

09-22-14 01:27PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
I vote for none of the above. New curlers need to learn and practice balance. With balance, hitting the broom and throwing the correct weight become easier. If a newbie is leaning on the rock or a crutch, they have less chance to improve.

JH

Why do people in the forum have to be so difficult!!! If you want to answer again jhcurl, please assume that everyone in this situation are blessed with the best balance possible, and they are able to deliver the rock with textbook perfect balance. So they are left with weight or line to learn next. Those are the only possible answer to the question, which is my question, so I know those are the only two answers.

09-22-14 02:34PM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

To someone like me who was a target shooting instructor, I doubt anyone is a accurate on the broom as they claim.

Also if you throw the right weight you can control a lot of line with sweeping. I would say the release is more important than line because hitting the broom and hooking a release ruins line.

So release, weight and line in that order.

09-22-14 04:51PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlky

Why do people in the forum have to be so difficult!!! If you want to answer again jhcurl, please assume that everyone in this situation are blessed with the best balance possible, and they are able to deliver the rock with textbook perfect balance. So they are left with weight or line to learn next. Those are the only possible answer to the question, which is my question, so I know those are the only two answers.

In that case, weight. Line can be controlled with sweeping unless they are two feet off the broom. Throw good sweeping weight and be somewhere close (2-3 inches) to the broom and all is good. Of course, how much off the broom becomes more important as the weight increases. 7 second peel weight that is 3 inches off is a flash.

JH
It is a long process to get better

09-22-14 08:24PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Hitting the broom IMHO.

09-22-14 10:23PM
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

I'll put it this way. Using Rachel Homan's team as an example. Rachel doesn't muck around much with tippy-toesy weights - she removes and annihilates opposing stones - weight is rarely a factor unless a target stone is semi-buried or on a difficult place in the ice....

I think that you are over thinking the target audience for my question. Lets assume that the curlers, while having a good balance at delivery, consistenly miss the broom by 4 feet, and consistently throw their rocks distance off by 20 feet (ie guards thrown through house, and in the house rocks get hogged). Huge issue with both, and obviously you tell them what they are doing wrong on both counts, but which area is a better for first focus of improvement

09-23-14 12:35AM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288
To someone like me who was a target shooting instructor, I doubt anyone is a accurate on the broom as they claim.

Also if you throw the right weight you can control a lot of line with sweeping. I would say the release is more important than line because hitting the broom and hooking a release ruins line.

So release, weight and line in that order.

Damn, I can't believe I agree with you again.

Balance is first (by a long shot). But assuming a balanced slide, release mechanics is where curlers mess up more often than not.

After that, weight over line. No one, and I mean no one, is on the stick every single time. They're close, but not perfect. But if you can throw close to the called weight every time... you're going to make your shots.

09-23-14 12:32PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:

JH

So why aren't you a fan of the crutch for new curlers, not everyone leans on it.

Last edited by Guest on 09-23-14 at 12:42PM

09-23-14 12:42PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

So why aren't you a fan of the crutch for new curlers.

Indeed, why?

I think delivery aides/crutches have been a huge plus for new adult curlers.

I do strongly agree that balance is the key to a good delivery, and it's something that should be practiced. But for novice adult curlers... the crutch has been fantastic in being able to have them get comfortable with the basic slide mechanics quickly, and eliminating the fear of falling.

Adult curlers see the sport on TV and think it should be easy. And they quit as soon as they realize that sliding requires a great deal of core strength and balance... which they don't always have. Delivery aides does allow them to cheat, but it gets them into the game faster, and makes them feel better about their abilities. For the vast majority of adult curlers (i.e., social curlers), I think this is exactly the sort of tool we need to attract and keep people in the rink.

For youths, or for competitive curlers, I would have them practice and learn with a broom. Kids pick it up quicker than most adults, and competitive curlers need to have a balanced delivery in order to maximize their success. But for social curlers? Pfft... they want to have fun, and I want them to have fun as quickly as possible and make the learning curve as easy as I can.

(As a disclaimer, I use a delivery aide in games, but practice with a broom... I find that it's a bit easier on the knees (it's not the years on my knees, it's the mileage) and I want to curl for another 30-40 years if I can before resorting to a stick).

09-23-14 11:41PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Based on a decade of curling instruction experience, you are going nowhere without a fundamentally solid, balanced delivery and a good release.

I start curlers with a stabilizer, and when they can achieve the necessary balance, we can start adding finer skills. Generally, curlers can learn line of delivery before good weight control. Weight control is very difficult without good delivery mechanics and release. Excellent weight control can take years. We transition curlers to a broom , if they insist, when their balance is excellent. This might be a year or two with college curlers, maybe never with adults. If you are fundamentally sound and curling well, what's the point?

09-25-14 08:58AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
JH

JH
Still a user of persimmon woods, hickory shafts and blade irons

Last edited by Guest on 09-25-14 at 07:57PM

09-25-14 09:06PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

This reminds me of the old saw about the three things you need to know about the restaurant business. I.e. Location,location, location.

The three things you need to know in curling: Release, release, release.

I can't count the number of guys I've seen with sketchy balance who make a ton of shots. My buddy Pete that I've known since grade 1 age has inspired a phrase at our club, "We Pete's wobble but we don't fall down." Not a world champion for sure but he has skipped his team to the best regular season record ten times at the High Park curling club. And how does he do it? His release is super consistent.

Another guy who was world class with sketchy balance was 'The Wrench'. I.e. Former World Champ Eddy Werenich. Again he made up for a lack of perfection on his slide with a release that was identical rock to rock.

Mike Harris was another curler who was more 'artist' than technician. The list is long. What they all have in common is the moment of truth was world class.

It is very much like golf. You can swing it upright like Freddy, or loop it like Furyk or Floyd, or swing it flat like Hogan, it matters not. What matters is the moment of truth. In golf when the ball leaves the clubface, and in curling when the rock leaves your hand.

Last edited by JB42 on 09-25-14 at 09:57PM

09-26-14 09:12AM
draway8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for draway8 Find more posts by draway8 Add draway8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
draway8
Harvey Hacksmasher

You've all ignored the most important skill of all; excuse making. "It picked out of my hand"..."Front end gave me the wrong weight"..."Skip moved his broom"..."The #6 stone's a pig"

09-26-14 10:05AM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc
Based on a decade of curling instruction experience, you are going nowhere without a fundamentally solid, balanced delivery and a good release.

I start curlers with a stabilizer, and when they can achieve the necessary balance, we can start adding finer skills. Generally, curlers can learn line of delivery before good weight control. Weight control is very difficult without good delivery mechanics and release. Excellent weight control can take years. We transition curlers to a broom , if they insist, when their balance is excellent. This might be a year or two with college curlers, maybe never with adults. If you are fundamentally sound and curling well, what's the point?

I threw with a broom for years and I actually found balance easy with your arm extended down the broom. I went to the crutch because of a bad knee. It allows me to carry a little weight on it. Key word is "little"! Because you tend to carry that little weight on the crutch I found my balance actually suffered until I got use to it. Both broom and crutch require balance, just a little different. I do find the crutch tends to keep my shoulders square whereas with the broom they could drift back.

10-02-14 05:27AM
MiguelSMinnich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MiguelSMinnich Click here to Send MiguelSMinnich a Private Message Find more posts by MiguelSMinnich Add MiguelSMinnich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MiguelSMinnich
Knee-Slider

concentration is one of the major skill. this very appropriate.

10-02-14 05:33AM
MiguelSMinnich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MiguelSMinnich Click here to Send MiguelSMinnich a Private Message Find more posts by MiguelSMinnich Add MiguelSMinnich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MiguelSMinnich
Knee-Slider

concentration is one of the major skill. this very appropriate.

12-02-14 04:31AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lingaa

I am new to this site and making my first comment
merry christmas greetings

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 124.123.130.28

12-06-14 02:06PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by lingaa
I am new to this site and making my first comment
merry christmas greetings

Hey Lingas-if you've followed this thread you'll know that "Merry Christmas" has nothing to do with the correct weight or hitting the broom!

...I guess he bought that...

Thanks for bringing us all back to earth and Merry Christmas to you & your family-as well as everybody on this site!

12-09-14 04:30PM
Viich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Viich Click here to Send Viich a Private Message Find more posts by Viich Add Viich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Viich
Harvey Hacksmasher

I have to say for very first, prioritize process over results - straight & square slide, clean release with good rotation, etc.

That will get you into the neighbourhood on line, to the point where weight is more important, then the fine tune of line - all of the dominant eye, where to start the rock, etc. If you're within 6" on a hit and you're aiming for nose, you still get half the rock. If you're within 1 foot on line for beginners, it's time to prioritize weight control.

I don't know who said miss by 3" on a big weight hit is a flash - only if you've got the broom in the wrong spot or are aiming at a small piece of rock - the rock doesn't get narrower with more weight. The rock is still 12" wide.

08-24-15 11:16PM
Kiwi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kiwi Click here to Send Kiwi a Private Message Find more posts by Kiwi Add Kiwi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kiwi
Harvey Hacksmasher

Answering the original question - weight. Being able to throw a very specific weight on demand is more valuable to a team than hitting the broom. Why do I think that? Hitting the broom is very observable - you can see it out of hand and adjust. You can't observe weight from the other end out of hand. So any'early in the shot' adjustments are pretty reliant on the interpretation of the thrower and the sweepers for weight. By then the shot might be gone. Ironically - I'd say most club players spend about 95% of their throwing practice time on 'hitting the target' and about 5% on 'throwing this specific weight'