Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-13-18 06:23AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by tapfreeze

With all due respect a Grand Slam is never meaningless let alone the Players' Championship! Every player would tell you if you could only win one Grand Slam this is the one to win. Now, I know Homan can't win top money in the bonus cup race, but a team of each gender this week has a chance to pocket $100,000+

No... it's actually quite meaningless - as can be seen in the very relaxed attitudes of the players - smiling and laughing significantly more than usual (except the Homan team, of course).
It's also the end of the season, and pretty much everyone is ready for and looking forward to a nice rest.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-13-18 06:24AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
I'm no sport psychologist, but it seems that Team Homan's pendulum has swung. The devastation at the Olys may have raked them in more ways than we know. What do they want? Do they feel drive to win, to achieve? Have they stopped "caring". Some immeasurable factor has dissipated from the ties that bind this team. They need a break. And maybe it will never come back. I haven't watched - but it has never seemed that they "loved" the game. They liked the win, the glory, and the fear they put in others. With that gone.. meh.

I think this ^ is quite an accurate assessment of the Homan team's current condition.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

04-13-18 07:23AM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

Has anyone found out why Joanne is listed as lead on the team list for Homan? Is she throwing lead rocks and what is the reason given?

04-13-18 07:29AM
NewCurlingDad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NewCurlingDad Find more posts by NewCurlingDad Add NewCurlingDad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NewCurlingDad
Knee-Slider

Players Championship

Watching Team Jones vs Team Homan yesterday, it was very clear the difference between the two teams at present is at third position, Lawes and Miskew. Hope that Miskew and Team Homan can build back their confidence.It has been a great season for Team Jones when early on at the trials the result was not what they had hoped for.

04-13-18 09:53AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Rachel was interviewed about the front end switch and she indicated it was something Joanne and Lisa wanted to do/try. Back to their old positions for the Jones game.

04-13-18 10:25AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

No... it's actually quite meaningless - as can be seen in the very relaxed attitudes of the players - smiling and laughing significantly more than usual (except the Homan team, of course).
It's also the end of the season, and pretty much everyone is ready for and looking forward to a nice rest.

Quite a number of teams have shuffled their lineups for this week. It seems like they're just having fun. Ryan Fry was calling the game last night for Team Jacobs (Brad still threw 4th), and John Shuster was playing 3rd while George skipped and threw 4th.

04-13-18 10:56AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Homan, the wonderkind who has been unable to deliver since the Olympic Trials, is probably in for some more troublesome days in the Players' and the upcoming Champions Cup unless some radical changes are affected. Since both Miskew and Weagle have always made it perfectly clear that they would never consider throwing the last brick, ( Miskew won't even do this in Mixed Doubles ) I'd like to see Courtney step into the breech for these few remaining games to perhaps demonstrate if it might be possible to resuscitate this talented but clearly lethargic, listless, couldn't - care - less "team". If not, probably it's time for them to pack it in; the status quo is neither acceptable nor sustainable.

04-13-18 04:13PM
Prawnpuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prawnpuller Click here to Send Prawnpuller a Private Message Find more posts by Prawnpuller Add Prawnpuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prawnpuller
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

I think this ^ is quite an accurate assessment of the Homan team's current condition.

I’m no sports head shrink but it seems to me they had way more focus and direction under the coaching of Earl Morris.
I suppose I’m old school but playing in the Olympics without a coach is plain dumb.Maybe next time we could borrow one of the Canadian coach’s from the other competing countries(sic). ..(yah I know they had a coach but not THERE
coach.

Two things can happen...one is bad

Last edited by Prawnpuller on 04-13-18 at 04:20PM

04-14-18 12:14AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I believe Anna has a touch of the flu and rested tonight.

04-14-18 08:19PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

aside from the olympic trials this season just has to be seen as a disappointment for homan. i'm not sure what happened to them this year. it's weird.

however i expect them to be back in full next year

04-15-18 09:29AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

I’ve been looking for, and cannot find, a list of the prize payouts for the Players Championship. I know the general purse is $150K per gender, but I’m more interested in the amounts each team gets for their placement: i.e. 1st place cash, 2nd place, and so on.

04-15-18 09:50AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Total is 100k as per WCT but you're right there's no breakdown on either the Slam site, WCT or curlingzone sites.

This is the elite 10 with the same purse based on 6 qualifiers.

http://www.worldcurl.com/events.php...4739&view=Money

04-15-18 10:39AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Yeah, I know WCT says $100K, but another source I did find said $300K total men’s and women’s that I assume is split evenly between the two.

Last edited by Observer on 04-15-18 at 01:55PM

04-15-18 11:53AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Maybe that;s with the bonus Rogers cup payout

04-15-18 12:49PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Anybody know why teams that nobody in the tv viewing area can understand are mic'ed? Always find it irritating.

04-15-18 12:52PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Anybody know why teams that nobody in the tv viewing area can understand are mic'ed? Always find it irritating.

They do speak English very well. But probably easier to speak their own language when all four are together.

04-15-18 05:29PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Speaking of mic'd, Benny will be out of pocket for his 3 F bombs. Not sure if sh!t counts or 2 more for those.Curling with microphones for 15 years he KNOWS he's mic'd but almost every game regardless of the circumstance he's cursing,

Need the Don Cherry 7 second delay

04-15-18 07:26PM
Observer
Swing Artist

Congratulations to Team Sinclair on winning the Players Championship!!

04-15-18 07:41PM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Solid, convincing win by Jamie.
I would have thrown the draw for 1 in 6, though, to make it 5-1, rather than try to hit the buried shot rock for 3.

04-15-18 09:27PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Congrats Jamie and Team Sinclair. Good game and great curling.

04-16-18 10:22AM
watcher2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for watcher2 Click here to Send watcher2 a Private Message Find more posts by watcher2 Add watcher2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
watcher2
Harvey Hacksmasher

Sinclair got lucky and hit the Jones team on a down day. Interesting that the top female skip in the US is actually Canadian!

Anyway the disgrace here is the amount of money that non-Canadian teams will get as a result of playing, actually being invited to play in the players championship! Heavily funded teams, funded by their own countries, many receiving wages on top of all expenses while Canadian teams scrimp to get by and work full time jobs to support their families. We should be inviting our own teams. Let the rest of the world develop high level curling in their own country.

04-16-18 10:52AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Sinclair was actually born in Alaska, not Canada. I am aware of here parents jobs, nationalities, etc and that she grew up in Canada and played juniors for Canada, but wanted to point out that she is a birth right American.

But in terms of you being mad that non-Canadians are playing in the event, remember that in the modern world of points needed to qualify for the Oympics, having the best non-Canadian teams play benefits the Candian points earned. So both sides are benefiting from the mixed country nature of these events.

04-16-18 11:10AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by watcher2
Sinclair got lucky and hit the Jones team on a down day
You have got to be kidding. Jones is the luckiest team in the world. Sinclair had Jones in trouble every end. And the luck wasn’t with Jones that day. Einerson should have beat Jones, but Jones got lucky.
Congrats to Team Sinclair on a well earned victory.

04-16-18 05:42PM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

Super nice job by Team Sinclair! They have had a great season. I know they feel disappointed about missing the Olympics and the World's bronze, but they should feel good about even being in that position. Not many US women can claim the successes they've had!

04-16-18 07:55PM
AteEnder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AteEnder Find more posts by AteEnder Add AteEnder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AteEnder
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by watcher2
Sinclair got lucky and hit the Jones team on a down day. Interesting that the top female skip in the US is actually Canadian!

Anyway the disgrace here is the amount of money that non-Canadian teams will get as a result of playing, actually being invited to play in the players championship! Heavily funded teams, funded by their own countries, many receiving wages on top of all expenses while Canadian teams scrimp to get by and work full time jobs to support their families. We should be inviting our own teams. Let the rest of the world develop high level curling in their own country.

So by your logic, since most of the NHL is based in the United States, they should exclude Canadian and European hockey players as there is no room for any foreigners here kind of mentality.

All curlers benefit from the increased competition of good curling. In your world of "Canada only", there would be no Olympic curling. The game would be the off the radar activity it used to be with no exposure outside of a few small venues in Canada. Get in your way back machine and head back to corn brooms and grandma's knit sweaters, smoking on the ice and takeout after takeout.

Most of us will choose to enjoy the amazing level of skill and advancement of the game due to regularly featured competition with international play raising the game world wide. And yes, I am a Canadian before you pull that as a response.