Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2015 Scotties Tournament of Hearts

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 22 of 22 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-23-15 11:16AM
Dackle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dackle Click here to Send Dackle a Private Message Find more posts by Dackle Add Dackle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dackle
Hitting Paint

I could have sworn that Vic announced during the game last night that Stephanie Schmidt wants to go back to Live in Regina and that she has agreed to curl with Michelle Englot.

With all the speculating going on in this thread about where she may end up, I must have dreamt that.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-23-15 11:58AM
ellejay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ellejay Click here to Send ellejay a Private Message Find more posts by ellejay Add ellejay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellejay
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Dackle
I could have sworn that Vic announced during the game last night that Stephanie Schmidt wants to go back to Live in Regina and that she has agreed to curl with Michelle Englot.

With all the speculating going on in this thread about where she may end up, I must have dreamt that.

you heard correctly, Vic mentioned it at the start of the broadcast. Stephanie lives in Regina with her husband so it would make sense for her to curl with Michelle, although Vic did say that the deal wasn't "set in stone yet" (or something to that effect.)

I wonder who it is that's leaving Team Englot making room for Stephanie ? Her current 3rd: Candace Chisholm 2nd: Ashley Howard lead: Kristy Johnson.

02-23-15 12:11PM
MBCurl204 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBCurl204 Click here to Send MBCurl204 a Private Message Find more posts by MBCurl204 Add MBCurl204 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBCurl204
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

I think either Jones or Sweeting would get 8 or 9 wins at the worlds. The major obstacle for either is The Scottish Princess Eve Muirhead. Eve can torment the best of them - she would have made that cross house double that Val valiantly got 1 out of yesterday's final. Val would have given Canada a new look - she's not near as reckless as Jones is on offense - and Eve loves that. No Ott or other major Swiss stars either - just Alina Paetz. Major threats for JJ are Princess, Russian Anna & one of the Asian squads. The great Swedish plodders will also contend as they usually do.

Oh, I agree. I don't think Sweeting would have tanked completely, but at the same time Jones's aggresive play pays off more often then not. That being said, international play in the Women's field has grown immensley. Jones has the advantage by experience. Although Sweeting had the better numbers last night - Jones had the better strategy. So we'll see how this will translate in the World's.

Sweeting's time will come.

02-23-15 12:13PM
jfrench1011 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jfrench1011 Click here to Send jfrench1011 a Private Message Find more posts by jfrench1011 Add jfrench1011 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jfrench1011
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Fairly good site but 99% of my comments were about strategy and shot possibilities. I thought that's what the site was for - I suspect a couple malcontents started buzzing the chief geek to deny me a saddle! Only a bit peeved they claim to be a site for curling fans but get discriminatory if some fans do what they always do - POST STUFF ABOUT CURLING!

I simply won't support sites that discriminate!

Or maybe they got tired of trying to decipher what you were saying? Seriously, with your constant made up nicknames, its nearly impossble to figure out what you are saying. doe, fawn, Coco, Kitty, team muscle, blah blah blah. I'm sure you have some valid points burried on your posts but quite often I have to read them 3-4 times to figure out who the heck you are talking about. Can we not respect the players and call them by their actual names?

I would have really liked team Sweeting to win that game. They had outcurled Jones pretty much all game. They were just on the wrong side of the inch a few times. If Val would have made Jones at least draw to touch 4 foot in the end I think she wins. I don't think she could have done it, draw weight was a struggle for Jones all game and the last shot really showed it. Jenn got by on experience a lot, making something out of the many misses and half shots. She didn't throw a great game but sure sure skipped one.

02-23-15 02:17PM
bennybeam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bennybeam Click here to Send bennybeam a Private Message Find more posts by bennybeam Add bennybeam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

I always get a kick out of those that say' val had better numbers but jennifer had the better strategy.' Absolute nonsense. I'll take execution over strategy any day of the week and the fact is Val's seconf and vice made too many critical errors at the wrong time. They make those shots and we're not talking about strategy. It's not like you watch that and say 'what is Val doing?'---She played her square and match shot for shot---unfortunately the others on her team--specificly her second and vice--did not. All the other comments are baseless---it always comes down to a few shots being made. And there's no shame in Val's team---they played very good and had their chances to apply tons of pressure but didn't. And when you do that to JJ--you lose.

02-23-15 02:33PM
jfrench1011 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jfrench1011 Click here to Send jfrench1011 a Private Message Find more posts by jfrench1011 Add jfrench1011 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jfrench1011
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by bennybeam
I always get a kick out of those that say' val had better numbers but jennifer had the better strategy.' Absolute nonsense. I'll take execution over strategy any day of the week and the fact is Val's seconf and vice made too many critical errors at the wrong time. They make those shots and we're not talking about strategy. It's not like you watch that and say 'what is Val doing?'---She played her square and match shot for shot---unfortunately the others on her team--specificly her second and vice--did not. All the other comments are baseless---it always comes down to a few shots being made. And there's no shame in Val's team---they played very good and had their chances to apply tons of pressure but didn't. And when you do that to JJ--you lose.

I wasnt saying I disagreed with her strategy. There were only a couple calls I didn't particularly like. I think she skipped and played well enough to win. I'm saying Jones experience kept her in it when her team was missing. When her team missed (and by the stats, you can see that happened to her more than it did to Sweeting) she was able to plan b a few times and make some things happen. She got enough out of her team misses to stay in a tight game. How else would you explain that her team shot better at 3/4 positions, and her 2nd and 3rd bested the oponents by over 10% each and they still lost?

02-23-15 02:41PM
jfrench1011
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Fair enough but I must say that Fawn, Coco & Kitty are now part of the curling vocabulary in Canada.

Your last point about the game itself is totally on point. Jones shone as a skip and leader - she was incredible. Whipped at every position Jones needed every ounce of her curling guile and wisdom to confront the biggest menace she's taken on all year - Val Sweeting.
Aside from Jones leadership and strategy - cobbling together half shots and jams to trudge to victory she had two massive moments.
The first end & the last!
First end - Val made an incredible draw behind tight cover in the 4 - 1/2 open but little or no space to roll for JJ and JJ would be good to just remove Val's counting stone, roll away and be forced to one. However, the shot of the game was her last rock - gliding by the guard by micro-centimeters, tapping the shot stone w/ mid-8 weight and counting a deuce. Probably wins the game on that shot the way rest of game played out.

Last end as JJ says - "We made 8 shots". That she did. A couple were knee-knockers (one of Kaitlyn's and JJ's final draw to the 12)
Val left it all on the ice last nite - no sand-bagging after coming out of the chute 9-0 - out-curling Jones but that deuce and Jones' staunch denial of control led her to STOH #5.
For a team with all the personnel troubles at 3rd THEY DID INCREDIBLY WELL....

Meh, personally I thought the last two shots in 1 were overhyped. I didn't like the call and rock placement for Sweeting's last rock, and said before she threw it that if she puts it there Jones taps for 2, and she did. And the Jones shot wasn't that close to the guard. They could have swept it more if they needed for line and would have been fine.

02-23-15 02:55PM
bennybeam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bennybeam Click here to Send bennybeam a Private Message Find more posts by bennybeam Add bennybeam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jfrench1011

I wasnt saying I disagreed with her strategy. There were only a couple calls I didn't particularly like. I think she skipped and played well enough to win. I'm saying Jones experience kept her in it when her team was missing. When her team missed (and by the stats, you can see that happened to her more than it did to Sweeting) she was able to plan b a few times and make some things happen. She got enough out of her team misses to stay in a tight game. How else would you explain that her team shot better at 3/4 positions, and her 2nd and 3rd bested the oponents by over 10% each and they still lost?

It wasn't jones experience that kept her in it, it was Val's 2nd and 3rd missing at critical times. Numbers are a total joke and almost entirely never tell the full story. When you have a 10% discreptency, that is not a significant advantage. And what did JJ get from kaitlyn's peel that took out the 2 biters in the 10th--get real. Or her missle that went thru the port in another end? JJ was on the ropes, Russ even mentioned it on air and if Alberta could have made 2-3 shots when Val needed them, they win--plain and simple.

02-23-15 03:03PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Jones' team certainly didn't make all their called shots in the 10th> If it wasn't for officer's fluke double peel, the outcome may have been different.

02-23-15 05:11PM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido
Jones' team certainly didn't make all their called shots in the 10th> If it wasn't for officer's fluke double peel, the outcome may have been different.

Meh. As Rafael Nadal says, 'if' doesn't count in sports. What you do does.

Jennifer's team was the best all week and her finals win wasn't a fluke, she had already beaten Val twice on the weekend. Jen's experience was a big help but Val has been gaining that valuable experience these last couple of years and her time will come. Meanwhile, Jen and her team more than earned their sweet victory and they'll be a great Team Canada, both on and off the ice.

02-23-15 06:11PM
hit_paint is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hit_paint Click here to Send hit_paint a Private Message Find more posts by hit_paint Add hit_paint to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hit_paint
Harvey Hacksmasher

Personally I think the biggest shot in the game was Jen's draw for 1 in the 8th end. Team Jones went into the 8th end tied up with hammer, in my books that means team Jones was "winning" the game at that moment in time. Even though they were out-played for most of the game they managed to secure hammer in the even ends and had 2 hammers to Val's 1 coming home. if Jen's draw slides 2 more inches they go down by 1 point heading into the 9th and give up control of the game. That draw was huge, thats why I don't blame Dawn for letting out an obscenity as the stone slid into the house!

02-23-15 06:27PM
CurlingNut1994 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingNut1994 Click here to Send CurlingNut1994 a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingNut1994 Add CurlingNut1994 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingNut1994
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'm not a fan of either team but I'm really happy Jones won. They were definitely the best team all week long. Plus I felt like Sweeting's team got a lot of lucky breaks and won games they didn't deserve to win at times tbh and Russ and Cheryl constantly saying how great they are and putting them on a pedestal above the other top teams I found very annoying. But they are still a very good young team that is only going to get better. However Jones still deserved this win more. Congrats to her team and I'm sure they will do us proud at the Worlds!

02-23-15 08:46PM
Sasquatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sasquatch Click here to Send Sasquatch a Private Message Find more posts by Sasquatch Add Sasquatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sasquatch
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by ellejay

you heard correctly, Vic mentioned it at the start of the broadcast. Stephanie lives in Regina with her husband so it would make sense for her to curl with Michelle, although Vic did say that the deal wasn't "set in stone yet" (or something to that effect.)

I wonder who it is that's leaving Team Englot making room for Stephanie ? Her current 3rd: Candace Chisholm 2nd: Ashley Howard lead: Kristy Johnson.

Michelle Englot confirmed on twitter that she is replacing her front end. What will Ashley Howard do next season? Start a new team? Team up with Amber Holland? Leave SK?