Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
ProCurlingWear - Look & Play Like a Pro
Subscribe to The Curling News today!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (13): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
This is something. Scotland scraped by the united States and now don 3 playing 10 against Italy. Looking really vulnerable her so far. If they can't handle 2 of weaker teams hre they don't have much hope against the other favorites

Despite you trying to convince me to the contrary Eve doesn't have much of a team.

Doesn't really matter if she tanks a couple games early - she should be able to make playoffs - and that's all she's asking out of her less than stellar squad. Just a chance to stun Canada and/or Swiss with some of those famed E-bombs she's famous for!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-18-17 11:42PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Thumbs up

Muirhead loses a stunner to Italy. She had a shot for 3 to tie and go the extra but rolled out. If she can't rebound and beat Russia I don't like her playoff chances. 2 losses early in a field this strong with all the heavy hitters to come

Meanwhile paetz made an absolutely incredible pick double on her last to get the win for switzerland

Old Post 03-19-17 12:00AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Muirhead loses a stunner to Italy. She had a shot for 3 to tie and go the extra but rolled out. If she can't rebound and beat Russia I don't like her playoff chances. 2 losses early in a field this strong with all the heavy hitters to come

Meanwhile paetz made an absolutely incredible pick double on her last to get the win for switzerland

I wouldn't worry too much about Eve Muirhead. Remember all the times Jennifer Jones managed to pretzel up a loss vs. any old mope team? Yet Jen, despite her less than stellar international record ALWAYS MADE PLAYOFFS. SO WILL EVE.

Paetz just re-affirmed my assertion she's one of the top killers in the womens game!

Old Post 03-19-17 12:09AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Harvey Hacksmasher

Remember people that TSN doesn't have anyone in China, so they're pretty much at the mercy of the crews in Beijing. They're not the only network that wants to show their games, so the WCF is trying to please most of the broadcasters so they show certain games. TSN will still show 9 of the 11 Canada games. Sure they get more when it's in Canada, but how much do you think it is to send a crew to China to cover the games? Also, it would look weird from TSN to show the Sweden-USA because you could see some highlights of the Canada-Germany game.

TSN is scaling back and it shows in the amount they spend on covering events that happen outside of this country. Before, TSN was doing all MLS games in the stadium. This year, they're calling games not in Canada off their monitors. I think there's a reality that hit TSN after their loss of revenue due to NHL hockey and a lot of sports that are covered here have been affected. For curling, it started last year.

The only question that is worth asking on it is this: Does TSN intend to send their cast and crew at the Men's Worlds next year in Las Vegas to show all games?

Old Post 03-19-17 01:08AM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

Two up, tenth end , could not understand Canada stock piling rocks in house. 4 am and I have to stay up for an extra end. Darn.

Old Post 03-19-17 04:55AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

yep same here stayed up until yawn 6:00am

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Two up, tenth end , could not understand Canada stock piling rocks in house. 4 am and I have to stay up for an extra end. Darn.
Russia's Sidorova had a bad break in the extra end and her rock was disallowed due to hand being on stone at time of release BAD luck for her and the game might have been different ....I see them in playoff contention at the end of this week.

Old Post 03-19-17 08:16AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

russia really gave canada all they could handle. thats one of those games where you hate to see someone lose because they both deserved to win

bingyu's new team is nowhere near the level of her old team. maybe they will be in time. however right now they arent helping her at all. they really need to step it up and support her more because right now , in every game i have seen them play its bingyu doing everything on her own.

Old Post 03-19-17 08:38AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: yep same here stayed up until yawn 6:00am

quote:
Originally posted by sternwheeler
Russia's Sidorova had a bad break in the extra end and her rock was disallowed due to hand being on stone at time of release BAD luck for her and the game might have been different ....I see them in playoff contention at the end of this week.

I would call that a bad performance under pressure rather than a bad break or bad luck. Sidorova missed a few shots and had some questionable strategy. I like her (not just for shallow reasons), but I think her run of bronzes will end here. Switzerland, Sweden, Scotland, and Canada are probably better teams.

Frankly, I'm just glad we broke out of that Groundhog Day of China-Canada telecasts.

Old Post 03-19-17 09:03AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

a lot of pressure on sidorova here. if she does poorly she may not be the rep for russia next year at the olympics

Old Post 03-19-17 09:08AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Emma, Rachel, Margarita & Anna really took turns tormenting each other today.

Anna H.L. violation probably cost her the game - at least ratcheting up the pressure on Raytch. That's inexcusable.

The Russians have all the shots - NO QUESTION - but they took some bad lessons from Jennifer Jones about rock positioning - and left way too many openings for Homan to bomb them.

Slightly troubling was RH giving up 9 pts - but that's more on Sidorova's team for applying constant pressure.

VERY GOOD GAME - WORTH WATCHING IN 65 minutes on PVR

Old Post 03-19-17 09:18AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
a lot of pressure on sidorova here. if she does poorly she may not be the rep for russia next year at the olympics

I think she'll still finish fine - either 8-3 or 7-4

If Muirhead starts losing a few more than usual they'll be 2 spots in the FINAL 4 up for grabs.

After Homan & Paetz = there's only Roth, Gaspari and one of the Asian teams that you can rule out at this point for the 3-4 spots.

Old Post 03-19-17 09:21AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

OK, now I see Princess Eve applied a bone-crushing assault on Russia in the next draw. That might be hard to overcome - but Eve knows how to take advantage of poor Russian strategy - obviously more than Homan.

Another loss will cause Anna to get very dispirited - nd leave her exposed for a playoff spot.

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 03-19-17 at 10:17AM

Old Post 03-19-17 09:25AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
OK, now I see Princess Eve applied a bone-crushing assault on Russia in the next draw. That might be hard to overcome - but Eve knows how to take advantage of poor Russian strategy - obviously even more than Homan.

Another loss will cause Anna to get very dispirited - nd leave her exposed for a playoff spot.

russia got a tough day tomorrow with czech republic and switzerland. they could easily be 1-4 after that, although more than likely 2-3 at worst.

czech republic reminds me a lot of russia actually. they can make a lot of shots and technically they are strong. but the strategy is what kills them

this 9th end v.s china is a really good example of that. if they can get someone to help them improve their strategy..they are young , they could become serious threats at these championships to medal

Old Post 03-19-17 09:27AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

as far as this game goes. really looks like just a terrible start for russia but ever since they gave up that steal of 4 in the 4th end they have been all over scotland.

Old Post 03-19-17 09:32AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

great win for the czech republic to go 3-0.

but what a finish. great draw by kubeskova. then wang makes a great shot to sit 2 on her last. then kubeskova's last was as dramatic as it gets. if it curls about another inch it rolls to far and china steals the win.

we'll see if the czech republic can keep this hart start up. pleasant early story though

china 0-3 . im guessing 4 losses will be the cutoff so they are already back againmst the wall

Old Post 03-19-17 10:08AM
johnnysmoke
Swing Artist

The Czech team looks surprisingly competent in the EE game against China. The third for Czech Rep is a cracker playing lights out. If the skip can match her on clutch shots like today, they may be in the playoff hunt.

Old Post 03-19-17 10:14AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

STRATEGY QUESTION?

After Anna violated the hog-line Homan had a fairly routine in-turn chip shot to eliminate the Russian counter and score the winning point (her 2nd shot).

So why did Rachel chose to play that 5 ft. short angle-double to score?

Was it actually easier? Or was she dumping in her in turns that badly so that the chip shot was ruled out? All she needed was 1/16 to 1/2 the exposed Russian stone and almost 50% of the stone was exposed.

Vs. Englot she was making those chips all night long. So what changed her today? Ice conditions? Faulty release tendencies? Puzzling ice?

Old Post 03-19-17 10:22AM
Observer
Harvey Hacksmasher

For the record on the overhead cameras:
The arena has two per side to cover the houses, mounted in tracks so they can be moved from sheet-to-sheet, but that means they can get coverage on, at best, only two of the four matches at any one time.

Yesterday I was saying it looked like they had one for every house, but watching today I was able to see the cameras and the tracks during a long break where they showed a long shot of the whole arena.

On the Sidorova final shot violation; I recall seeing her doing something similar in a match at the Sochi Olympics, though I don't think that was on her last shot that time.

And hooray for Scotland bouncing back!

Old Post 03-19-17 11:22AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Click here to Send Observer a Private Message Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

agree that the Czech skip has been a fire cracker start to the worlds

quote:
great win for the czech republic to go 3-0.

but what a finish. great draw by kubeskova. then wang makes a great shot to sit 2 on her last. then kubeskova's last was as dramatic as it gets. if it curls about another inch it rolls to far and china steals the win.

we'll see if the czech republic can keep this hart start up. pleasant early story though

china 0-3 . im guessing 4 losses will be the cutoff so they are already back againmst the wall

the week has hardly started for most teams some as those czechs have been good enough to escape with three wins already, surprisingly not expected but I am sure some more will lie ahead ....Homan has to take them Americans from Madison Wis. very serious because nothing would give them more a boost than to beat the Canucks

Old Post 03-19-17 12:04PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Re: yep same here stayed up until yawn 6:00am

quote:
Originally posted by sternwheeler
Russia's Sidorova had a bad break in the extra end and her rock was disallowed due to hand being on stone at time of release BAD luck
A pick, or a burned rock, is a bad break. I don't consider a hog line violation a bad break - I call it against the rules.

Old Post 03-19-17 04:32PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sw4cz
Knee-Slider

Re: STRATEGY QUESTION?

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
After Anna violated the hog-line Homan had a fairly routine in-turn chip shot to eliminate the Russian counter and score the winning point (her 2nd shot).

So why did Rachel chose to play that 5 ft. short angle-double to score?

Was it actually easier? Or was she dumping in her in turns that badly so that the chip shot was ruled out? All she needed was 1/16 to 1/2 the exposed Russian stone and almost 50% of the stone was exposed.

Vs. Englot she was making those chips all night long. So what changed her today? Ice conditions? Faulty release tendencies? Puzzling ice?

I think, if you look at the angles, Rachel had quite a bit of room for error on the high side in the double run-back. She could see pretty much all of the front stone, and could keep it pretty straight with a bit more weight.

Picking out the shot yellow with any weight would risk floating it out, and less weight would have had less certain amount of curl.

Rachel had already mentioned on an earlier down weight shot that it curled more than she expected. So I wasn't surprised to see the double run back.

"Be kind"

Last edited by sw4cz on 03-19-17 at 06:54PM

Old Post 03-19-17 06:48PM
sw4cz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sw4cz Click here to Send sw4cz a Private Message Find more posts by sw4cz Add sw4cz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: STRATEGY QUESTION?

quote:
Originally posted by sw4cz

I think, if you look at the angles, Rachel had quite a bit of room for error on the high side in the double run-back. She could see pretty much all of the front stone, and could keep it pretty straight with a bit more weight.

Picking out the shot yellow with any weight would risk floating it out, and less weight would have had less certain amount of curl.

Rachel had already mentioned on an earlier down weight shot that it curled more than she expected. So I wasn't surprised to see the double run back.

I think that's a pretty solid explanation. Rachel must have felt her in-turn was being released poorly and it would crash 'n burn on the front. The hit angle-double required her to throw fairly solid weight - all she had to do was hit it on the high side or flush and the win was secure. The way Rachel throws - she new that so long as she hit the stick - the shot was pretty much fait accompli.

Good on her for adjusting to the situation!

Old Post 03-19-17 07:09PM
ngm
Swing Artist

Emma Miskew touched a Canada stone just before it hit a USA stone, which would have then hit another USA stone, and immediately declared her violation of the rules.

Rachel Homan then immediately stopped the first USA stone from touching the second USA stone.

While well-meaning, Homan should not have done this. She should have allowed all the stones to come to rest and allowed the USA to choose from the usual three options in such cases.

Old Post 03-19-17 09:27PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Swing Artist

Agreed

quote:
Originally posted by ngm
Emma Miskew touched a Canada stone just before it hit a USA stone, which would have then hit another USA stone, and immediately declared her violation of the rules.

Rachel Homan then immediately stopped the first USA stone from touching the second USA stone.

While well-meaning, Homan should not have done this. She should have allowed all the stones to come to rest and allowed the USA to choose from the usual three options in such cases.

After the hog line don't touch it and let the rocks come to a rest. Then the non offending teams can place the rocks where they see fit, or let them stand or just remove the burned rock. I think she meant well but it's really funny how MOST teams don't know the rules. Nice she did straight away say i burned that rock, rather than European high fives.

Last edited by IN-OFF-FOR-2 on 03-19-17 at 10:28PM

Old Post 03-19-17 10:21PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlky
For the people upset with TSN coverage, I have a question an in uninformed AMerican. Is the NCAA basketball tournament big in Canada. In the US, that tournament is huge, and ESPN has not rights to it. But since they know everyone will only be watching basketball, they dont spend much money to show anything that will be guaranteed to have no ratings.

In Canada TSN has the rights and is on all the channels all day. You can watch four different games on four different TSN channels. Only particularly popular with the male 15 to 29 crowd, hockey still crushes it.

Old Post 03-19-17 10:43PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote