Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 5 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-10-16 01:56PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Good Things

Either there is plenty to be negative about OR the internet is becoming a refuge for only negative opinions. Maybe a touch of both. Here in the USA curling threads, negative opinions are ruling the days and nights.

Time for a slightly more positive thread.

Curling Night In America seems to be vastly improved over last year. The quality of play seems much higher; as do the production values. I'll admit to having missed the first few games, but people are obviously watching (judging from how many text messages and questions I'm receiving at midnight)

There is a BIG opportunity coming to the Jacksonville Nationals. The WCF Coaching program will be there. Any aspiring coach can shadow top coaches and join together for seminars. This is a big deal.

Excitement over Nationals continues to decline due to changes in the World Team Selection process. But this doesn't necessarily need to become a trend. Some good things are happening. Add a few to the list, please.

Ben Tucker
PS Craig Brown both golfed Royal St. Andrews AND cashed in the Perth Masters. That's a pretty good weekend if you don't think golf is horrible...which golf is...totally horrible.

Last edited by tuck on 01-11-16 at 09:00AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-10-16 02:29PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Friday was the first episode of this season's Curling Night in America, so you haven't missed any.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

01-10-16 02:32PM
hit-n-roll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hit-n-roll Click here to Send hit-n-roll a Private Message Visit hit-n-roll's homepage! Find more posts by hit-n-roll Add hit-n-roll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hit-n-roll
Harvey Hacksmasher

The Hunter Clawson rink. Wow! Theses are 18 and 19 year old kids. The future is in good hands.

01-10-16 02:54PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Re: Good Things

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Excitement over Nationals continues to decline due to changes in the World Team Selection process.

Tuck, I like what you are trying to do, and I am way too tired of people bashing the HPP. However, this statement is both inflamatory, and lacking any true evidence. It will only further lead to the negative environment.

You want some positive news. Participation in curling in the US is at an all time high. New clubs are being created at a record pace. While not being worthy of consistent medals on the international stages, performances of US teams, both HPP and non-HPP, are showing consistent week to week improvement from the recent past.

01-10-16 06:46PM
peglegg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peglegg Find more posts by peglegg Add peglegg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peglegg
Hitting Paint

Nothing shows off curling like a draw to the button tie breaker!

01-10-16 09:39PM
chapnlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chapnlie Click here to Send chapnlie a Private Message Find more posts by chapnlie Add chapnlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chapnlie
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by peglegg
Nothing shows off curling like a draw to the button tie breaker!

Actually, it was a draw to the back 8-foot for the win, since the Japanese skip tossed his draw to the shoes.

01-11-16 02:27AM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

Next week we will see a large turnout of American curlers and curling fans at the Continental Cup. This might be the most exciting and fun curling event on USA soil this year.

I thought Curling Night in America was pretty good. Good competition. Good production values. Had to hold my nose during the draw-to-button, but I imagine the non-curler TV fans probably liked that part of it. Looking forward to the week when they feature mixed doubles and Team "Cute as Kittens".

Also really liked the Jacksonville, FL commercial during the CNIA broadcast. thought it was captivating and showed off all that's good about traveling to Jax for Nationals.

Have to disagree with curlky, though. I don't want to bring negativity to a positivity thread, but Tuck's comment about Nationals was right on.

01-11-16 08:54AM
SkipsWhoSayNi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SkipsWhoSayNi Find more posts by SkipsWhoSayNi Add SkipsWhoSayNi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SkipsWhoSayNi
Harvey Hacksmasher

Continental Cup

Another example of what HPP has done to interest in competitive curling in USA.
I have been an avid follower of USA curling and have attended many national championship and world championship games. I always knew when those championships were scheduled. Yet I only just now realized that the Continental Cup is about to begin -- even having seen an earlier CZ post about the draw for the Continental Cup did not make bring this to my attention.
Now I know the USCA does not really care if I follow our Teams or not, but I am still surprised by the lack of interest in these events among USA curlers.
I predict interest in this Cup thing will be a disappointing

Last edited by SkipsWhoSayNi on 01-11-16 at 08:59AM

01-11-16 10:09AM
ChiefIceMinion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChiefIceMinion Click here to Send ChiefIceMinion a Private Message Find more posts by ChiefIceMinion Add ChiefIceMinion to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChiefIceMinion
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Continental Cup

quote:
Originally posted by SkipsWhoSayNi
I have been an avid follower of USA curling and have attended many national championship and world championship games. I always knew when those championships were scheduled. Yet I only just now realized that the Continental Cup is about to begin -- even having seen an earlier CZ post about the draw for the Continental Cup did not make bring this to my attention.
Now I know the USCA does not really care if I follow our Teams or not, but I am still surprised by the lack of interest in these events among USA curlers.

I don't think the HPP can be held accountable for interest in the Continental Cup -- the lack of promotion or "visibility" lies with the USCA marketing team, not the HPP. If you didn't know about the event it wasn't the HPP process that did it, it was overall lack of publicity. I do think, though, that for events like CNIA, the Continenal Cup and even Nationals the USCA needs to get better up to speed in mass-marketing to non-curlers if they want to grow the sport.

In local but positive news, the best little two sheeter on the East Coast has just about gotten its ice in (finally) after replacing the ice shed floor this fall.

Chief Ice Minion

01-11-16 10:15AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Re: Continental Cup

quote:
Originally posted by SkipsWhoSayNi

Have heard the event is pretty much sold out.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

01-11-16 10:33AM
SkipsWhoSayNi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SkipsWhoSayNi Find more posts by SkipsWhoSayNi Add SkipsWhoSayNi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SkipsWhoSayNi
Harvey Hacksmasher

Exactly Gerry, it was a little sarcasm. See dbsdbs post in the challenge round thread

01-11-16 11:12AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

The USCA has very few promotional tools at their disposal with limited funds. They have the website, the Curling News, a twitter feed and some mailings. They will try to use some contests on occasion. To the best of my limited knowledge, they've used every tool in their undersized toolbox to promote events.

We can look right here in Curlingzone.com (Gerry!) for a small piece of the problem and a small part of the solution. USA teams have done some great things this year. Little of it was noted in these threads. We have some strong teams filled with really good people, but this site has been too quiet.

Some of that is my fault.

I continued to step away from curling. I had grown tired of be the cheerleader. I disagreed with many of the decisions and pathways chosen for our game.

That's over. I'm back.

I'll return to being the idiot predicting great things for the future and for the present. I'll be the idiot losing friends by posting odds and predictions.

This site shouldn't be boring; particularly this year. Good things are happening. Great consequences may be on the horizon.

Ben Tucker (when in doubt, blame Gerry...you'll usually be right)

01-11-16 12:04PM
B Anderson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B Anderson Click here to Send B Anderson a Private Message Visit B Anderson's homepage! Find more posts by B Anderson Add B Anderson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B Anderson
Harvey Hacksmasher

Does this mean your broadcasting retirement is over too!?

-BA

01-11-16 12:34PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

quick someone get a plane ticket to FLA before Tuck changes his mind.

want some more good news - from what I've seen the registrations for club playdowns seems to be getting bigger each year. 19 mens teams from the GNCC. We have 5 teams starting next week in Denver. MOPAC always pulls in a bunch of teams. I think this is a good thing.

01-11-16 01:26PM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by hit-n-roll
The Hunter Clawson rink. Wow! Theses are 18 and 19 year old kids. The future is in good hands.

Eastie hands. As it should be.

01-11-16 02:04PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

How common is it for a junior team to earn their way to nationals?

01-12-16 06:07PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

The Big Spiel starts up in St. Paul and Blaine. Great idea and I believe it was off to a great start last year. I hope it continues to thrive. For those looking for a spiel next year, check it out.

As for the Clawson Junior rink earning a spot in Men's: It is not unprecedented, but very rare. More common on the Women's side. The Chris Plys rink did some of that for Nationals/Trials fresh off their Junior World gold.

So does this mean that the Clawson rink is good to an almost unprecedented level OR is the path to Men's grown easier? I'd love to say that it's a bit of both, but the path has grown easier. This is a thread for good things, but the fields in Jacksonville are not good fields.

That being said, the Clawson Junior team earning their way in is a very good sign of things to come.

Ben Tucker

01-12-16 06:41PM
hit-n-roll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hit-n-roll Click here to Send hit-n-roll a Private Message Visit hit-n-roll's homepage! Find more posts by hit-n-roll Add hit-n-roll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hit-n-roll
Harvey Hacksmasher

There will be a ton of youth on the ice in Jacksonville. This is very good and extremely welcome for our sport!

01-12-16 09:36PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Yeah, hit-n-roll, maybe if you didn't spot them a steal of 4 to start the game we'd have one less team that isn't yet of drinking age. Since you never spotted me a steal a 4 back in the day, I blame Wilberg. Not that your team would increase the bar profits for Jacksonville by much...

Listen up, older curlers, beat this young Clawson team and beat them bad. In a couple of years, you won't have a choice in the matter.

Ben Tucker

01-13-16 09:43AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Speaking of good things:

Have you checked out the field going to Arizona for The Wrench Spiel? Amazing.

Throw that on top of what's been done in the US Open and Curl Mesabi and we have some events with the best-of-the-best. Really cool.

Now I'm almost certain that these events came together almost by accident with nobody putting in any effort at all. If I'm wrong and somebody saw an opportunity and worked hard to build these events, thank you very much. (trying to be cute there)

Ben Tucker

01-13-16 09:59AM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Speaking of good things:

Throw that on top of what's been done in the US Open and Curl Mesabi and we have some events with the best-of-the-best. Really cool.

Now I'm almost certain that these events came together almost by accident with nobody putting in any effort at all. If I'm wrong and somebody saw an opportunity and worked hard to build these events, thank you very much. (trying to be cute there)

Ben Tucker

These did not happen by accident. Having been involved with my role with the WCT, all three events have done a lot of hard work to get off the ground.

Drove to Arizona to lay the groundwork there, and they took an idea and ran with it!

01-15-16 11:08PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
The Big Spiel starts up in St. Paul and Blaine. Great idea and I believe it was off to a great start last year. I hope it continues to thrive. For those looking for a spiel next year, check it out.

Big Spiel has 96 teams playing at 4 Twin Cities curling clubs -- St Paul, Frogtown, Four Seasons [Blaine] and new club in Chaska. First spiel last January was played at the first 3 clubs listed and Chaska Curling Center opened just in time this year to join the party.

01-16-16 09:21AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Good things!

Ice making!

I went down to Grand Forks yesterday to watch Clubs. That is Staveteig's home club, but he's in Vegas making ice for the C Cup. His sons do the ice back home. Really good ice.

It got me to thinking: Dave and his crew have elevated their art to among the best in the world; if not THE best in the world. Our B team is getting ready for Juniors today and that team, led by Rudy, is very good. We have Q out in Denver and Boo Boo in Blaine and lots of pros and semi-pros. Our club volunteers are getting really good.

Ice making has gone up in quality by leaps and bounds here in the USA.

Ben Tucker

01-17-16 09:15AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

For those of you too lazy to find it yourself (thirdnerd), here is the link to The Golden Wrench in Phoenix:

http://www.worldcurl.com/events.php...3950&view=Teams

I'm sure that curlingzone will have the teams up in a couple of days, but now you can take an early look.

Don't bet the home mortgage on McEwen. They are undoubtedly the best in the world for the calendar months 7-12, but from the 1st to 6th months, they're not much better than a Monday Mixed team. (just kidding)

Ben Tucker

01-22-16 09:49AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Speaking of good things:

Ben Tucker

Live streaming on YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYCIW9D1X7M