Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Pinty's TSN Skins Game

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-26-15 05:38PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Pinty's TSN Skins Game

The TSN Skins game is returning to Banff on January 8-10, 2016!
http://www.curlingzone.com/talk/?p=210

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-26-15 09:52PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Disappointed we won't see Eve for the second year in a row. Great fields though. Would love to see Rachel and Brad repeat.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

11-26-15 10:38PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

You'd think Eve would relish this type of format?

Besides she's a professional curler and this event puts up substantial cash inducements!

Perhaps it doesn't fit in with her training program for the world championships?

Yeah, this would be right up Eve's alley...Maybe the sponsor wants to keep it Canadian? Or perhaps figured two teams from the province the event takes place in is the way to go?

I don't know Eve's schedule, but I'd bet she wouldn't decline an invite if there was no conflict.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

11-27-15 12:22AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

I think they try to keep it all-Canadian.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

11-27-15 10:57AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

A bit disingenuous to call it an All-Star game when it's Canadian only and Canada hasn't won a World Championship in the Men's Worlds since 2012 or Women's since 2008.

I get the marketing as it doesn't make sense for TSN to have non-Canadian teams in the field for viewership numbers, but at the same time the label of All-Star game is a bit strange.

It's not fair to the Canadian teams when they go to the World Championships and crap like this from TSN brainwashes fans into thinking that it's Gold Medal or nothing since only Canadian teams can be considered for an "All-Star" game.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

11-27-15 11:12AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry
A bit disingenuous to call it an All-Star game when it's Canadian only and Canada hasn't won a World Championship in the Men's Worlds since 2012 or Women's since 2008.

I get the marketing as it doesn't make sense for TSN to have non-Canadian teams in the field for viewership numbers, but at the same time the label of All-Star game is a bit strange.

It's not fair to the Canadian teams when they go to the World Championships and crap like this from TSN brainwashes fans into thinking that it's Gold Medal or nothing since only Canadian teams can be considered for an "All-Star" game.

Agreed.

11-27-15 11:16AM
Runback is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Runback Click here to Send Runback a Private Message Find more posts by Runback Add Runback to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Runback
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Actually Gerry, if you look at this year's CTRS standings, this is 4 out of the 5 top rated teams in the world. Only Tirinzoni missing. Muirhead is barely in the top 20, although she will move up after Euros.

11-27-15 12:59PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Runback

Actually Gerry, if you look at this year's CTRS standings, this is 4 out of the 5 top rated teams in the world. Only Tirinzoni missing. Muirhead is barely in the top 20, although she will move up after Euros.

"Only Tirinzoni missing" = Not an All-Star event. Men's is likely fine considering the top teams are in Canada, but the Women's ranking has not been this way for quite some time. If you look at the Overall Rankings, teams 4-8 are Muirhead, Tirinzoni, Paetz, Sidorova, Feltscher.

It's fine they only invite Canadian teams since it's their event, makes a lot of sense. It's just wrong to call it an All-Star game.

11-27-15 01:49PM
Runback is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Runback Click here to Send Runback a Private Message Find more posts by Runback Add Runback to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Runback
Harvey Hacksmasher

I guess baseball, basketball and hockey should no longer call their all star games all star games, cuz the fan vote and minimum one player per team sure don't get 17 of the top 18 players in the league there (not to mention the world). This event is a far more legit "all star" event from that perspective than those. But it's a silly argument so I'm out.

By the way, thanks for all the work you do on the tour. I think you've been integral in bringing curling more into the main stream.

11-27-15 03:03PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

I am outraged at the marketing materials used in a meaningless curling event being put on for our television viewing entertainment only using non-standard rules and where the winners get some money and nothing else that matters!

OUTRAGED!

11-27-15 05:11PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

Have to agree with Gerry. Like how is Rocque an "All Star". That pick has me baffled beyond belief.

11-27-15 05:33PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

How is it not an all-star event? You have the top 3 OOM ranked men's and women's teams along with a former Canadian & World champion and 2x World junior champion...You could argue against KR being there over some of the Euro teams (in particular Muirhead), but she may be a bigger ratings draw in Canada then Eve...I doubt it myself at this point in time, but it's not my event. I hope Pinty's/TSN open it up to internationals in the future when they are deserving. Should be great event nonetheless.

11-27-15 06:14PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

I love Kelsey Rocque and her 3rd Laura Crocker but they're a first year team with limited world results and fairly paltry Canadian results this year. The right thing to do was to invite at least one world monster (Muirhead or Sidorova being the obvious nominees) and have Rocque as the back up team - or invited to the event to supply alternates at all positions.

I agree. I'd rather see Muirhead in this format and she deserves to be here, but the sponsor see's it differently obviously.

It's an opportunity for TSN to showcase another future star in this format which will only help their ratings for the future. Brand Building 101. Eve doesn't appear on TSN unless it's the CC or Worlds. Most of TSN's coverage involve Canadian teams in the SoC calendar.

Last edited by Radio-Man on 11-27-15 at 06:26PM

11-27-15 08:42PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i think its way to soon to have rocque in this event. i doubt many people even know who this team is. even if she ends up doing well it doesnt matter. this goes against seemingly what this event is. bringing top and well known teams together.

why not invite fleury, carey or lawton for example or even middaugh

rocque just doesnt make sense. she might be top 10 but she's not really and all star. id be curious to know why this team was chosen because its just weird to me. this event has never been about bringing young, relatively unknown teams into the spotlight.

Last edited by misty1 on 11-27-15 at 08:47PM

11-27-15 09:17PM
jays2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jays2 Click here to Send jays2 a Private Message Find more posts by jays2 Add jays2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jays2
Harvey Hacksmasher

Curling Skins Game

I found it quite funny reading all the comments on here about this seasons Skins Game. Lets face it. This is and always has been an event put together by TSN for the entertainment of the curling fan. It has nothing to due with the World Curling Association, Gland Slam of Curling, etc. The rules are not even the same. So really how can we say who would be the best teams to play in it. It is watched by thousands of viewers strictly for the entertainment dollar. Ratings are high, TSN must be making money and the curling fan has something to watch. So why wouldn't TSN keep it Canadian. I say lets quit complaining. Jjust sit back, relax and enjoy the show.

11-27-15 09:32PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

That's fine, but people have their favorites and wonder why the newcomer KR deserves a spot in this potentially lucrative event over more proven/established teams. It's a fair question to ask..On the other hand, TSN/Pinty's are putting on this exhibition for our viewing pleasure so definitely have the right to choose the players they feel will benefit them the most.

Like I said, there will probably be a lot more KR on TSN in the coming years then Eve or Anna, who are much more beneficial to Sportsnet. From this perspective it makes perfect sense why this young team was chosen over the Euros or more established Canadian squads. Get in on the ground floor before they rise..

11-27-15 10:48PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

I understand why the event is all-Canadian. Makes sense.

I think if they spun it right they could actually use the inclusion of non-Canadian teams as part of the marketing. 1 (presumably European) team in each field challenging the best Canada has to offer with money and pride on the line.

Of course, the Continental Cup does this to some extent, albeit it's North America vs The World. Different format too, although skins is a part of it.