Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-05-13 12:06AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stick a fork in it!

quote:
Originally posted by murphyj87
What Americans have always neglected to mention about Pete Fenson's team is that Pete Fenson was successful only when Canadians Ed Lukowich and/or Rob Meakin were running the USCA technical program and Lukowich coached Fenson's team, but since Americans have taken it over, results have slumped badly.

Since 2011, the American program has been headed by Derek Brown of Scotland, who was previously coaching the Scottish program (Numerous World Championship Medals). Also working on the program this year are Al Hackner (CAN), Scott Baird (USA), and John Benton (USA).

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-05-13 12:47AM
Mr. Ochmonek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Ochmonek Click here to Send Mr. Ochmonek a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Ochmonek Add Mr. Ochmonek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mr. Ochmonek
Harvey Hacksmasher

China finishes off Finland, the USA finishes in 9th place. The total Olympic qualifying points is 9 points. 5 last year, 4 this year.

So, Canada, Sweden, and Scotland are already obviously in.

Norway brought 9 points in and placed better than us. They're ahead of us.

China brought 7 points in and placed better than us. They're ahead of us.

Denmark brought 6 points in and placed better than us. They're ahead of us.

Switzerland brought in 4 points and is guaranteed at least 5 points, for a total of 9. With the better result than us in the most recent worlds, they're ahead of us.

Czechs brought 1 point and could finish in a bunch of different places based on the tiebreakers. If they finish 5th or better, they're ahead of us. They need Canada to come back against Sweden to force a tiebreaker.

So, there's the layout. 7 guaranteed teams ahead of us to knock us down to the Olympic Qualification Event in December.

04-05-13 03:26AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

Facts From The Internet

The first curling club in the United States was established in 1830.

The game was introduced to Switzerland and Sweden before the end of the 19th century.

Detroit - 1885

The San Francisco Bay Area Curling Club (SFBACC) was founded March 13, 1958.

04-05-13 08:37AM
Willy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Willy Click here to Send Willy a Private Message Find more posts by Willy Add Willy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Willy
Drawmaster

Olympic Qualifier

If the Olympic Qualifier is in Dec. and so are our Trials ( I assume not the same weekend ) Who represents the USA? I would think we would want the trials winner fighting for thier own spot?

04-05-13 08:49AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Re: Olympic Qualifier

quote:
Originally posted by Willy
If the Olympic Qualifier is in Dec. and so are our Trials ( I assume not the same weekend ) Who represents the USA? I would think we would want the trials winner fighting for thier own spot?

Trials are in November. The winner of the USA Trials will head to the qualifier to fight for their own spot into the Olympics.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

04-05-13 09:58AM
Willy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Willy Click here to Send Willy a Private Message Find more posts by Willy Add Willy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Willy
Drawmaster

Thanks

I got my dates confused, guess I'll change my time in Fargo to Nov. Some of us are to poor to pay attention. The disappointment sets in, maybe the Qualifier will give our team good winning thoughts going to Olympics. Cause if they don't win, we ain't in...

04-05-13 11:52AM
curlny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlny Click here to Send curlny a Private Message Find more posts by curlny Add curlny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlny
Hitting Paint

USA goes 5-6. Without seeing any of the games, I'll wager that means they were 2 shots from second place. (7-4).
2 shots.
While I am sure they are disappointed with the final outcome, the distance to the top isn't that great in my view.

04-05-13 11:55AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Where is the olympic qualifier tournament?

Someone from the USCA needs to get NBC Sports Network on the phone...this should be a no brainer...

"Follow our team as they fight to secure their Olympic berth"

If they succeed, they built the sport's profile for the olympics, which should goose the ratings (not that curling needs much help, being the highest rated sport on any of the non-Costas channels)

If they fail, at least fans might fall in love with one of the teams that does qualify...plus, the women are still in it.

It's a no-lose...and there's nothing else going on in November...this should be wall to wall coverage.

Make...it...happen.

04-05-13 11:58AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Where is the olympic qualifier tournament?

Someone from the USCA needs to get NBC Sports Network on the phone...this should be a no brainer...

"Follow our team as they fight to secure their Olympic berth"

If they succeed, they built the sport's profile for the olympics, which should goose the ratings (not that curling needs much help, being the highest rated sport on any of the non-Costas channels)

If they fail, at least fans might fall in love with one of the teams that does qualify...plus, the women are still in it.

It's a no-lose...and there's nothing else going on in November...this should be wall to wall coverage.

Make...it...happen.

Its apparently between these 3:

Karuizawa, Japan
Fuessen, Germany
Perth, Scotland

announcement will be made today

04-05-13 11:59AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlny
USA goes 5-6. Without seeing any of the games, I'll wager that means they were 2 shots from second place. (7-4).
2 shots.
While I am sure they are disappointed with the final outcome, the distance to the top isn't that great in my view.

A couple shots away from more wins... same can be said for all teams. Wish I could agree but I don't think USA curling is nearly that close to the top.

04-05-13 12:07PM
OHCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OHCurler Click here to Send OHCurler a Private Message Find more posts by OHCurler Add OHCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OHCurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Didn't need to be that close... just needed to beat the 10th and 11th place teams.

04-05-13 12:45PM
Tee-Eh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tee-Eh Click here to Send Tee-Eh a Private Message Find more posts by Tee-Eh Add Tee-Eh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tee-Eh
Knee-Slider

I don't even see why we are beating a dead horse here. The USA has not performed well the last few years, including the last Olympics. It should be no surprise to anyone that this day would come. No one is getting screwed over and there's no flaw in the system. Our teams just aren't producing and quite frankly we shouldn't feel like we deserve a direct spot.

04-05-13 12:56PM
Diego is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Diego Click here to Send Diego a Private Message Find more posts by Diego Add Diego to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Diego
Harvey Hacksmasher

Fussen, Germany.

Need to start planning. Who is going? Instead of commenting and bitching on here, get over to Germany and support USA no matter who wins trials. USA! USA!

04-05-13 02:24PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

On to Fuessen

After the fiascos with "major" TV network coverage of our US women's nationals, I would just like a live webstream of at least TESN visiting US clubs who have viewing parties of the Olympic men's qualifier in Germany and our trials in Fargo. If the World Curling Federation or USCA give away TV rights to networks we can't see easily.... well, why not a return to the old days of listening to baseball on the radio with great announcers?! We can be sure TESN won't break away for Heidi.

FWIW: I have no connection with TESN, just have enjoyed the explosion of social media in the last 10 years which is one to the main reasons my club has grown 1,000% since the Torino Olympics (16 active to 150+). Besides, wouldn't we all prefer good commentary during the long commercial breaks the big networks impose? "Now from one of the biggest curling clubs in the USA, the bar is packed in Duluth! With his opinion of the game so far is..... Now to our reporter in St. Paul who is with....."

04-05-13 02:29PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Why not just send TESN to Germany?

I'm sure we could convince Calabrese and Tuck to update their passports...

Cost...maybe 10K?...I gotta believe we could sell that much in ads...

04-05-13 04:24PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Re: Facts From The Internet

quote:
Originally posted by CaptMorgan
The first curling club in the United States was established in 1830.

The game was introduced to Switzerland and Sweden before the end of the 19th century.

Detroit - 1885

The San Francisco Bay Area Curling Club (SFBACC) was founded March 13, 1958.

FYI,

Utica - 1868

One of the longest continuously operating clubs in the U.S.

04-05-13 04:31PM
curlny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlny Click here to Send curlny a Private Message Find more posts by curlny Add curlny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlny
Hitting Paint

NY Caledonian Curling Club 1855 and still going strong

04-05-13 04:45PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlny
2 shots.

Faulty logic, the team was never strong enough for 7-4. In fact, they were also two shots from 3-8 I bet. Distance to the top is even greater then it appears, because none of the teams were sharp all week and/or coming off huge years. It has to be tougher next year.

Last chance event will be extremely tough with recent solid teams from France and New Zealand "out of sight / out of mind" and wild cards like Korea and Germany could be anything. And
Czech Republic already showed they were equal to US this year.
Only two spots means anything could happen.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 04-05-13 at 04:49PM

04-05-13 04:46PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Facts From The Internet

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc

FYI,

Utica - 1868

Bell Silver Quoit trophy - 1868, oldest trophy contested in the GNCC. I am proud to have won this one year.

Gordon Champion Rink medal - 1869, oldest continuously contested trophy in N.A. sports (I think).

Both the above have been appraised as "priceless and irreplaceable". The Gordon is many, many gold links. Both are stored in a safe deposit box.

Historic clubs - Montreal 1807, first documented club Orchard Lake, MI 1832, New England CC of Boston prior to 1839.

Grand National Curling Club established 1867 comprising clubs in NY, NJ, OH, IL, WI, MI, MA and 3 clubs in Canada.

JH
from the GNCC history, established 1867. Organizing body of curling in North America including Canada.

04-05-13 04:52PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Faulty logic, the team was never strong enough for 7-4. In fact, they were also two shots from 3-9 I bet. Distance to the top is even greater then it appears, because not many teams were sharp all week or coming off huge years. It has to be tougher next year.

Last chance event will be extremely tough with recent solid teams from France and New Zealand "out of sight / out of mind" and wild cards like Korea and Germany could be anything. Only two spots means anything could happen. No different then for Canadian teams face every Olympic trials though its a crap shoot of strong teams all wanting the Olympic berth.

Yes, the US sucks and was lucky to win 5. Canada on the other hand was really unlucky not to win all 11. Teams should have just conceded to Canada after they blanked the first or scored. They were never going to win anyway. Not sure why they still hold the Worlds each year since Canada always wins.

Wait, team Homan LOST! OH MY EFFING GOD! Did no one tell Sweden that they were not ALLOWED to win. I really hope that Sweden, Scotland and Denmark have been told that team Jacobs is the only team that is ALLOWED to win.

Edited to add. Good thing that Canada was strong enough for 7-4, otherwise they would have missed the playoffs. That would have been awful. I think they would have cancelled the playoffs at that point. Maybe I am misreading the WCF rules.

JH
having way too much fun on a Friday night, amusing myself and hopefully some of my friends.

Last edited by jhcurl on 04-05-13 at 05:16PM

04-05-13 05:46PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Why the vitriol JH? Let's be honest here. USA wss not a factor in Worlds this year or last year -- and not at all close to the top [regardless of whether or not teams were sharp this year]. If we don't think the OLY qualifier next year will be difficult, then we are only kidding ourselves. USA curling is facing a huge test next season. Lots of pressure to win USA trial and then even more pressure to win berth in OLY. Taking shots at Canada does not change any of that.

04-05-13 05:52PM
TJNCJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TJNCJ Click here to Send TJNCJ a Private Message Find more posts by TJNCJ Add TJNCJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TJNCJ
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Facts From The Internet

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc

FYI,

Utica - 1868

The Milwaukee Curling Club (est. 1845) is the longest club in continual existence in the US. Their new 5 sheet facility is fantastic.

The Waltham CC is the oldest club in Illinois established 1884 and is also home of the "Pie Sweats".

TJ
Older than my home CC

04-05-13 06:07PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
Why the vitriol JH? Let's be honest here. USA wss not a factor in Worlds this year or last year -- and not at all close to the top [regardless of whether or not teams were sharp this year]. If we don't think the OLY qualifier next year will be difficult, then we are only kidding ourselves. USA curling is facing a huge test next season. Lots of pressure to win USA trial and then even more pressure to win berth in OLY. Taking shots at Canada does not change any of that.

As a friend of mine pointed out - 2011 (Fenson) 3-8, 2012 (McCormick) 4-7, 2013 (Clark) 5-6. We are getting better.

I think the OQE will be difficult next year and currently would seed team Snitl as the favorite.

Not taking shots at Canada, have way too many friends there. Taking shots at a certain poster or two, who cannot wait to come into the US forum and bust on the US.

JH
still Friday night, top up your drinks my friends...

04-05-13 06:34PM
TakeItOut! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TakeItOut! Click here to Send TakeItOut! a Private Message Visit TakeItOut!'s homepage! Find more posts by TakeItOut! Add TakeItOut! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TakeItOut!
Hitting Paint

All I can say is...

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Why not just send TESN to Germany?

I'm sure we could convince Calabrese and Tuck to update their passports...

Cost...maybe 10K?...I gotta believe we could sell that much in ads...

All I can say is Live Mas!!

04-05-13 08:00PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Dang it, Joey...working for you is driving be broke. Germany? Will I, at least, get another hat and one of BA's cutting boards?

Ben Tucker