Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-18-13 04:47PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

If the US develops a team on par good for them. Show me.
Cheerlead all you want but to suggest this Canadian team is overrated is absurd given their steller year involving a huge percentage of wins versus numerous accomplished teams.

You were shown today!!
And I know that Rachel has a very good team and that 2 losses is not the end of the week!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-18-13 06:33PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Frykenstein

Heath McCormick went to Ontario provincials five times and was runner-up in 2003. (He was also Canadian Mixed runner-up in 2004.) He did better than win his zone.

And no, he did not move to the US. He was born here and now lives in ONT. He and his team finished fourth at the 2011 US nationals before going undefeated in 2012. So if your point is that a Canadian also-ran waltzed across the Ambassador Bridge and was immediately crowned King of US Curling by the desperate masses, you're wrong. Again.

There are literally two dozen teams in Southern Ontario during that time that were on par ( easily ) with Heath. I am quite familiar with his level of play in Canada. Let's be real here.

03-18-13 07:01PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

9 Ender,

Your point has been made.

We all disagree with you.

Now, please, go away.

I'm not in favor of squashing conversation, but we are excited about this team (won the OCT over Sherri Middaugh, won the KW Classic in Waterloo, 3rd in the International Bernese Cup with wins of Alberta's Webster and Nova Scotia's Arsenault) and we don't need your rain on our parade.

Now, if you are worried that we are all just like Chicago Cubs fans getting set up for broken hearts...we still don't want to hear it repeatedly (just like Cub fans don't want to hear it...same thing as Montreal Canadian fans). I think these gals come home with medals. I don't think I am as delusional as a Canucks fan...but maybe I am...but maybe I'm not.

Ben Tucker
Noting that Erika has two World silvers
Debbie has World gold and silver
Jessica has World silver
Ann has World gold

PS This is the most polite way I can say "USA beat Canada today and y'all can smooch my behind!"

03-18-13 08:03PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

the US had a good win today, but come on and be honest here tuck. Neither team played well. The canadian front 3 outplayed the US and in alot of cases it was erika bailing out and rachel being unable to finish an end off. To say this bodes well for the US is a mistake.

It bodes well for their playoff chances but it doesnt inspire confidence in their chances later on.

The US still has of tough games left against switzerland,china scotland, russia and the not to be under estimated japanese so they'll need to keep on their toes because its still possible to finish out of the playoffs.

03-18-13 09:08PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Et tu', Misty? Et tu?

Golfers don't golf well on days with light rain and gusty winds...yet we still have a winner. Curlers don't curl well on ice outside of their expectations...yet we still declare a winner.

Neither team played well? I think they are picking up on the idiosyncracies of the ice and rocks quite well. It was much, much better than the Japan/Germany match...at least far better called.

It is a very good day. Thank you, Team USA. Naysayers can have the rest of the evening off. That is tomorrow's discussion. As for our remaining schedule: There is over half of the draw yet to come...everybody has a formidable schedule remaining. Losing to both Germany and Sweden has narrowed the margin of error, but today our gals are sitting pretty.

Ben Tucker
Avoiding crass puns about the Titlis Arena...and I believe the problem is with the granite and not the ice, but a more aggressive nip might be in order.

03-18-13 09:34PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

I spent most of my day in airports or in the air. I missed the game but I can tell you this. THE US WON!!!!

And for those Canadians in the crowd - HAHAHAHAHA. For this powerful, best team of all time (that has been to the Scotties once) still not impressed. Maybe the field was worse at the Scotties, or they can't deal without having ideal ice and rocks?

JH

03-18-13 09:56PM
Frykenstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frykenstein Click here to Send Frykenstein a Private Message Find more posts by Frykenstein Add Frykenstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frykenstein
Harvey Hacksmasher

That's correct, JH. The team that's "stronger by a significant margin" than most of their opponents, the one that "no discerning fan of Curling would ever label as overrated" just had "one of the best runs in woman's Curling recent history" [whatever the hell that means] spoiled by a bunch of nobodies from the US. And now they sit with the pack at 3-2.

Still, it would be "absurd" to overrate this "truly talented" team. Surely nobody who "follows curling very carefully" would be stupid enough to do that. Would they?

03-19-13 01:25AM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Frykenstein
That's correct, JH. The team that's "stronger by a significant margin" than most of their opponents, the one that "no discerning fan of Curling would ever label as overrated" just had "one of the best runs in woman's Curling recent history" [whatever the hell that means] spoiled by a bunch of nobodies from the US. And now they sit with the pack at 3-2.

Still, it would be "absurd" to overrate this "truly talented" team. Surely nobody who "follows curling very carefully" would be stupid enough to do that. Would they?

They won something like 30 or 31 games straight this season.
Lot of international level teams in that streak. Very, very few teams of any gender or any location achieve that kind of run.

If you can't respect that so be it. The US hasn't won a medal since 2006 ( 6 losing seasons ). I reckon Homan will get a medal sometime in the next 6 seasons. Call me stupid for thinking so, I don't care they are a damn good team.

03-19-13 03:33AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
9 Ender,

Your point has been made.

We all disagree with you.

Now, please, go away.

x2

03-19-13 03:39AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:

If you can't respect that so be it. The US hasn't won a medal since 2006 ( 6 losing seasons ). Call me stupid…..

Hey stupid…

03-19-13 04:24AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Just some feedback for you guys. Ice conditions are fine, just a little slow but certainly not something they can't handle. Homan has struggled personally with her draw weight so far, but I expect she will figure it out.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-19-13 11:11AM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

I think the ice may be a bit more challenging than they admit. I watched Canada/Italy this morning and Homan was baffled. She is too good to look that bad.

I'm not refering to draw weight but where to put the broom.

03-19-13 11:20AM
Frykenstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frykenstein Click here to Send Frykenstein a Private Message Find more posts by Frykenstein Add Frykenstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frykenstein
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
If you can't respect [Homan's results this season] so be it.

Yes, let's talk respect, Nine Ender.

You wrote, "I truly don't remember Brown winning anything big before...surely they'd have won a big tour event to justify your strong opinion about their chances".

For the record, here's Brown's cash record this season according to the WCT and OCT sites:

* Fort Wayne Summer Cash [Ft. Wayne, IN]: 5-1, semifinalist
* OCT Championships [Oakville]: 7-0, champion
* Colonial Square Ladies Classic [Saskatoon]: 1-3
* KW Fall Classic [Kitchener-Waterloo]: 6-1, champion
* ROGERS Masters of Curling [Brantford]: 2-3
* Madison [Madison, WI]: 6-0, champion
* International Bernese Ladies Cup [Bern, SUI]: 7-2, bronze
Totals: 34W-10L, 3 championships

A pretty good season for a "new team" whose members, we've already noted, already have more than a dozen int'l medals between them in 25 years of competitive play. Worth some optimism and cheerleading on our part, IMO. Not worth your dismissive tone, IMO. (Here's a tip: If you want to criticize people for "not following closely", pay attention yourself.)

You said Heath McCormick was "never close in Canada to even a provincial title" and "was no lock to win any zone title". You claimed to be "quite familiar with his level of play in Canada". "Let's be real here", you said testily.

Well, I am being real. He was provincial runner-up in 2003. Apparently I have to point out that "runner up" is second place.

It may be true that Heater was "no lock" to win zones, but if the competition was as tough in southern ONT as you say--not a point I'm arguing--then yours was an empty statement. I mean, nobody would be a lock, right? And yet Heater still won not just his zone, but also the region. Five times. That's pretty competitive for a place where there's so much parity, don't you think? Competitive enough to merit your respect, perhaps?

You demeaned Team USA's dominant victory against Italy, but Homan, who in your view is "stronger by a significant margin" than most of this field (and surely that would include Italy??), barely survived their own game vs. Italy. Curious, wouldn't you say?

I have no beef with Team Homan. They are a obviously a great team, and as I already mentioned, I imagine they will finish higher than Team Brown. (I ran their cash circuit numbers while I did Brown's, and they were terrific: 44W-10L, w/ 5 finals and 3 championships in very difficult fields.) I imagine they will be around for several years, and I doubt they'll be strangers to the podium.

My beef is with you. You're dismissive and critical of people on this forum at the same time that you yourself post hype and nonsense. You offer neither the respect nor the command of facts you demand of others, and that makes you a hypocrite. And, it seems, a total homer. Give it a rest.

Last edited by Frykenstein on 03-19-13 at 01:52PM

03-19-13 12:50PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Now, if you are worried that we are all just like Chicago Cubs fans getting set up for broken hearts...we still don't want to hear it repeatedly (just like Cub fans don't want to hear it...same thing as Montreal Canadian fans). I think these gals come home with medals. I don't think I am as delusional as a Canucks fan...but maybe I am...but maybe I'm not.

Make sure Steve Bartman isn't in the crowd on the weekend

03-19-13 02:38PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Holy buckets, Frykenstein...well said. Good writing. All of my points but with logic, order and supporting facts.

Sorry, Nine Ender. Your points are generally true, but we are not interested in listening. Maybe next year. Should our team fall just short this year or Homan rises to her eventual throne as Queen (it is eventually inevitable), you will have a chance to say "I told you so". Resist the opportunity. Really, our point has already been made. We like this team and their chance at medals...maybe even gold. Does anybody still deny that this team is capable of making the medal stand?

A loss to the Swiss followed by a win (a big lead while a type) against Misty's Japanese squad. The round robin finale against Russia is starting to look huge.

Ben Tucker
Should leave the writing to Fry

Last edited by tuck on 03-19-13 at 02:41PM

03-19-13 03:38PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

And I will just add that Canada and US now have the same record. At least Canada did win 3 in a row. Oh right, they were the team that won 30 in a row, guess they fell a bit short of that.

JH
Frykenstein checking facts, that is dangerous

03-19-13 05:14PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Et tu', Misty? Et tu?

Golfers don't golf well on days with light rain and gusty winds...yet we still have a winner. Curlers don't curl well on ice outside of their expectations...yet we still declare a winner.

Neither team played well? I think they are picking up on the idiosyncracies of the ice and rocks quite well. It was much, much better than the Japan/Germany match...at least far better called.

It is a very good day. Thank you, Team USA. Naysayers can have the rest of the evening off. That is tomorrow's discussion. As for our remaining schedule: There is over half of the draw yet to come...everybody has a formidable schedule remaining. Losing to both Germany and Sweden has narrowed the margin of error, but today our gals are sitting pretty.

Ben Tucker
Avoiding crass puns about the Titlis Arena...and I believe the problem is with the granite and not the ice, but a more aggressive nip might be in order.

lol, im not trying to sound like im against this US team. because im not. I do consider them legitamte medal threats, im just not so sure they can get gold

However i dont see how anyone can sit there having seen that match and claim that either team played well. Individually there were some great shots made from every member on both teams so it was not just a string of erros or a horrow show. At the same time it wasnt a great display of curling either. For every good shot made there were 3 or 4 bad shots missed or half shots

the US will need to beat one of china or scotland to avoid a 5th loss. They can do it but it definately wont be easy..and even if they hit 5 they might still not be out of it

Last edited by misty1 on 03-19-13 at 05:17PM

03-19-13 05:40PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

7-4 will usually get you a tiebreaker in a 12 team field. Sometimes it will get you straight into the Page 4 spot. Sometimes (twice to the USA Women in recent memory) it doesn't even get you a tiebreaker.

Sitting at 4-3 with Latvia, China, Scotland and Russia remaining, our gals don't need to run the table...if they beat Russia in the final game. At least that is how I see the standings as they sit. I'm assuming that somebody helps us bring Russia back to the pack. I'm also assuming that Japan, Canada and Switzerland don't all run the table...one of them would be OK, but not two of them.

Not that winning out is improbable for our team. Latvia can look like a league team at times...although they beat Erika at Worlds a few years ago. China doesn't look like the China of four years ago (although their Mens team looks very, very good this year). Erika has a decent record against Eve Muirhead. It's that last game against Russia that is looming large. I just hope the gals get to that game in good shape.

Ben Tucker
Wish I was in Latvia...never said that before

03-19-13 10:23PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Finishing 7-4 should get them 3rd with Canada in 4th (based on head to head). If they go 6-5 then there could be the massive TB of 4 or more teams for 4th. Russia has the toughest remaining schedule and could easily go 1-3 or 0-4.

Oh and the Super Special Great Team of Homan will not be in the 1-2 game. Not sure why they just don't give them first since they are the best team in the World and won 30 games in a row this season. Not a new team so they certainly deserve it, wait they don't have 11 international medals? They are a "new" team? I am confused, must be because I don't follow curling and don't know anything about Canadian curling.

JH
Nine Ender, next time I have dinner with Dave and Heather, I will tell them you say "HI!"

03-20-13 03:16AM
IanTetley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IanTetley Click here to Send IanTetley a Private Message Find more posts by IanTetley Add IanTetley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IanTetley
Harvey Hacksmasher

JH...she fell after she threw one of her stones the other day. Has a minor lower body injury that will take a couple of days to work out. Mind you she is a little shaky at the best of times.
Not anything of major consequence and should not impede her play.

03-20-13 07:36AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
[i]Originally posted by jhcurl

Oh and the Super Special Great Team of Homan will not be in the 1-2 game. Not sure why they just don't give them first since they are the best team in the World and won 30 games in a row this season. Not a new team so they certainly deserve it, wait they don't have 11 international medals? They are a "new" team? I am confused, must be because I don't follow curling and don't know anything about Canadian curling.

JH
Nine Ender, next time I have dinner with Dave and Heather, I will tell them you say "HI!" [/B]

OMG, thats just mean. How old are you, like five. Maybe my big brother can meet your big brother in the school yard at the end of the day. I believe that nasty thoughts like yours should be PM'd to the individual in question.

03-20-13 07:54AM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

OMG, thats just mean. How old are you, like five. Maybe my big brother can meet your big brother in the school yard at the end of the day. I believe that nasty thoughts like yours should be PM'd to the individual in question.

Guess I should have put some of these at the end of that

Notice this is in the US forum and if you visit here at all you will know that half of what I post is me trying to be funny. Sometimes it works.

JH

03-20-13 10:19AM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Crap. That puts a wrinkle in the plan. Need to at least beat Russia and then get some help. Need RUS and SUI to drop back to 5 losses.

Guess the rocks and ice are really that bad #sarcasm #joking #biteme

03-20-13 12:04PM
curlny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlny Click here to Send curlny a Private Message Find more posts by curlny Add curlny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlny
Hitting Paint

crushing loss to china...will need lots of help and a huge finish.

03-20-13 12:07PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Sh*tballs (a technical curling term made popular by Heather at last year's Scotties).

After getting a point in the eighth, I was really jazzed about a Two Win day. Stupid China. I now hate them.

Need to run the table. Erika and Company ran Muirhead off the ice last year in the playoffs of a major cashspiel...let's hope they do it again.

Ben Tucker
I repeat...Sh*tballs