Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 4 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-07-15 02:00PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Summer Ramblings

Okay, not quite summer but the Worlds is over and curling is pretty much done. (last reference to curling allowed in this thread).

The Derby is a little over 3 weeks away. Baseball season has started with some teams already out of the hunt *coughPhilscough*. So time for RAMBLINGS!

Same rules as always, no curling except fun summer spiels. NO HPP, let me say that again, NO HPP! HPP references will get you banned for the entire off season.

Early favorite for the Derby will be the undefeated Dortmund. Trying to follow Big Brown and Barbaro as an undefeated winner of the Derby.

Have fun all.
JHcurl

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-07-15 04:01PM
westcoveroadie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for westcoveroadie Click here to Send westcoveroadie a Private Message Find more posts by westcoveroadie Add westcoveroadie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
westcoveroadie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Forgetting Mixed Doubles Worlds (and Senior Worlds) in Sochi next week...?

04-07-15 04:29PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

WestCoveRoadie banned until those events are over. All about the Derby at this point. Although the argument can be made that MD is not really curling and a bunch of old people curling is well...kind of what I do.

Okay ban is lifted but WCR is on probation until after those events.

04-07-15 04:40PM
westcoveroadie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for westcoveroadie Click here to Send westcoveroadie a Private Message Find more posts by westcoveroadie Add westcoveroadie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
westcoveroadie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Did the crime, will serve the time. Cheers, and good luck to your young Easties at Worlds... (oops)

04-07-15 05:16PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

The Derby doesn't get its own thread? Dude, it's THE Derby!

I will not mention sliding rocks on ice. I will not mention funding a program to improve our standings on an international level. I promise. Not in this thread.

Ben Tucker

04-07-15 05:41PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

Since summer curling events are allowed are there any new events this year? Last year I went to Cedar Rapids. This year it looks like a trip to KC is in the works for August, but if there is a new event I'd be interested in learning more (especially those that include free beverages)

Jason

04-07-15 06:55PM
Mr. Jordan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Jordan Click here to Send Mr. Jordan a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Jordan Add Mr. Jordan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mr. Jordan
Harvey Hacksmasher

1) Baseball season doesn't start until the NY Rangers' playoff run ends, so I'll be in the swing of things sometime in June (or just in time for the entire Yankees' rotation to go on the DL).

2) The odds of me working or being off on the First Saturday of May are about the same as a coin toss. Here's hoping the metaphorical penny comes up heads. If so, then I'll get to drink poorly-made mint juleps at home and basically donate cash to the folks at twinspires.com. I suppose I'm as good of a handicapper as I am a mint muddler. If I must work, I'll make it home before the big one, but I may just have to see if I can find a cheap seersucker suit somewhere in the NY metro area.

Around the kitchen with their socks on by a pack of timberwolves." --Dik Van Dykes

04-08-15 02:32PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Hmmm....I think it's premature to call it summer when I still have 1-2 more games to play without injuring myself...but...

I do have a summertime quandary...the wife and I are spending a week at my (retired) parent's place in July, and odds are good Dad will want to go golfing at least 3-4 times during that stretch.

Issue...my golf game makes my unnamed winter sport game look...well...world level...

I have no clue how to get better enough in 3 months to not be a total embarrassment on the links...

guess it's something to work on...

04-08-15 03:16PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Dear Lord, Alan; have you not been paying attention at all. If you want to improve your game, it's easy. Bring in your fifth and change the lineup.

OK, trying to be funny here.

Ben Tucker
Hoping JH doesn't bench me

04-08-15 03:17PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Would it be adequate to instead drink a fifth and change my clubs?

04-08-15 04:51PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Hmmm....I think it's premature to call it summer when I still have 1-2 more games to play without injuring myself...but...

I do have a summertime quandary...the wife and I are spending a week at my (retired) parent's place in July, and odds are good Dad will want to go golfing at least 3-4 times during that stretch.

Issue...my golf game makes my unnamed winter sport game look...well...world level...

I have no clue how to get better enough in 3 months to not be a total embarrassment on the links...

guess it's something to work on...

1) Find a club you can hit off the tee straight. Probably a smaller wood or perhaps a 5 iron. DO NOT worry about distance, 160-180 is far enough. Stay out of water, bunkers and trees.

2) Practice your short game. 30 yards in. Chip, putt, repeat. This is where you can take strokes off quickest.

3) Play the correct tees! If dad is a 10 handicap and wants to play tees longer than you want talk him into moving up one or two.

4)Take up the USCA on there spring "free golf lesson" promotion. A few minutes with a pro can help your swing a ton.

Hit that straight shot off the tee, hit enough club to get close enough to the green to put your chipping and putting practice to work. Par four - on in three or four, one or two putt, bogie or double, maybe a one putt par every once in a while.

Biterbar
Single digit handicapper

04-08-15 05:59PM
tbrooks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tbrooks Click here to Send tbrooks a Private Message Find more posts by tbrooks Add tbrooks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tbrooks
Knee-Slider

Does Rory finish the career slam this week by winning the Masters?

04-09-15 09:56AM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by tbrooks
Does Rory finish the career slam this week by winning the Masters?

No. I think Tiger makes the cut but finishes well out of contention. Bubba, Spieth or Reed will contend. Darkhouse pick is Sergio.

JH
Phils back to .500, could be the last time this season

04-09-15 11:21AM
curlny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlny Click here to Send curlny a Private Message Find more posts by curlny Add curlny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlny
Hitting Paint

I'm going Spieth

04-09-15 01:02PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Victor Dubuisson wins the Masters.

I'm cheering for Freddie Couples.

Biterbar is a scratch golfer? Who'd da thunk? I golf once a year and very poorly. Good luck, Alan. When I golf, curl or do anything my kids, I don't care how they do as long as they have fun. I'm sure all fathers feel the same about their children. If you want to make your father cherish those rounds, laugh loudly. Biter's advice is probably better.

Ben Tucker
(come on...I thought the "bring in the fifth" line was funny)

04-09-15 07:02PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

JL (aka cupcake) picks the front runner. Spieth had a great round. As they say can't win on the first day but can lose. Looks like Tiger, Walker and a few others might be done. Jason Day shows some good form. Hoffman will fade as will Els. Rose could hang in there. Bubba, Phil and Rory are not out of it.

JH
watched 7+ hours today

04-09-15 09:03PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

BTW American Pharoah wins the Arkansas Derby. Pays nothing so no reason to bet.

04-09-15 09:36PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Alan, swing softly, dont try to swing out of your shoes. Let the physics of the club do the work for you. And keep yoru head down and watch the ball.

But as was alluded to before, the biggest difference between people who score a 100 and people who score a 90 almost always from 100 yards and closer. Begin able to hit the green from 30 yards out will take 10 shots off of your round. Not only getting on the green, but near the flag takes another 5 strokes away.

Around me there are driving ranges that have chipping greens. Spend time on teh chipping green, and it will do worlds of good.

04-09-15 10:16PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by tuck

(come on...I thought the "bring in the fifth" line was funny)

Nice shot Tuck. I liked it too.

04-10-15 12:29AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

OK, the Victor Dubuisson golf pick is looking silly; but I don't know golf.

Far Right upsets American Pharaoh (Eclipse Award winning 2 year old last year) in the Arkansas Derby this coming Saturday. Should pay 4 to 1 or so. In this age where some yearlings that sell at auction for $100,000 are called "inexpensive", Far Right was truly inexpensive. $2,500.

Far Right is owned by two unlikely friends...one from Connecticut and one for the midwest sticks. They trade off on whose silks will be worn. The Connecticut guy's silks are the Iona University colors of his alma mater...that I believe JH drives right by every time he heads into the city.

I'm not sure if The Truth Or Else and/or Made From Lucky can get by the speedy American Pharaoh for second place to make the exacta pay (or both to make the trifecta really pay). Should be interesting.

Ben Tucker

PS Divining Rod will win the Lexington Stakes

04-10-15 11:46AM
curlny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlny Click here to Send curlny a Private Message Find more posts by curlny Add curlny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlny
Hitting Paint

Spieth makes me look good! Thats harder than shooting 64.

04-10-15 04:19PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlny
Spieth makes me look good! Thats harder than shooting 64.

Should have bet it. That would have bought a lots of cupcakes! Could have got 9-1 on him. $20 returns $200.

JH
as bettors always say....woulda,shoulda,coulda

04-11-15 01:47PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I'm betting the 1 7 exacta box for the Lexington Stakes today. Wish me luck.

Ben Tucker
may need to crowd source some funds after this one

04-12-15 11:15AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Divining Rod did win the Lexington and the 1/7 exacta box did score. Unfortunately, American Pharaoh did destroy the field in Arkansas; just like JH predicted. My Far Right selection got second. Oh well, I missed that one. It's not like when I missed Brady Clark winning the Mixed. That was just an attempt not to always pick the favorite. Nope, this time I was just flat wrong.

The Masters will wrap up today and then we'll have Mixed Doubles and Seniors...then full blown Kentucky Derby. HEADS UP: A horse that is very likely to make the field is a son of Curlin who has the awesome name of Keen Ice. Keen Ice is actually as slow as molasses, but he can run all day. All real curlers will bet on Keen Ice.

Ben Tucker

04-12-15 07:31PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

As JL picked (but did not bet) Spieth wins the Masters. 9-1 if you bet it before they started.

As Tuck has said, now it onto the Derby! Yes, some curling thing is happening but it is two+ weeks until the DERBY! Lots of posing and positioning will be happening. Early favorite will be American Pharaoh at 3-1, Dortmund second choice at 5-1. All the others will pay good money when they win.

JH
time to start studying