Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-13-13 08:06PM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

National Anthem

I love the American national anthem. Perhaps it is because it is based on an old English drinking song. (My favorite pastime this side of chemically induced sex.) Perhaps because of my youthful memories of the old days when TV stations used to actually sign off. Making it to the national anthem meant that you were able to stay awake to, like, one o'clock! It could be that I am happy that the Americans found a ray of hope in the crushing body blow which was the War Of 1812. (Ok, that was a dig. As much as I am a homer I will now admit that the fore-mentioned war was a draw. Although we did burn the White House. And the Americans didn't have the sense to burn Toronto. Really guys. Why the Hell didn't you burn Toronto when you had the chance?)

As much as I love The Star Spangled Banner, I hate it when it becomes the Star Mangled Banner, which happened just a few minutes ago at a NASCAR race I am watching. It's one thing to make the song your own, but my God, to slow the pace and stretch the words and notes, ("dawns early LIIIIIIIGHHHHHTTTTUHITTTEEEE")is an abomination to the memory of Francis Scott Key, and all the Limeys who sang this melody until falling into a vomitous stupor. National anthems should be sung with pride, and sung at a clip that my hip isn't going to lock up before I can sit down in my seat again.

One other point. Hats should be removed during any anthem. That means backwards ball caps as well good ol' NASCAR fans. Happy racing!!

Last edited by dinorock2005 on 04-13-13 at 09:29PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-14-13 09:36PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Oh Canada has been mangled many times in the Country and outside...many " Canadians" don't even know the words!

04-15-13 12:23AM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

Oh Canada

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Oh Canada has been mangled many times in the Country and outside...many " Canadians" don't even know the words!

Many of us know the words to Oh Canada in both English and in French. I suggest that the number of "mangled" versions of Oh Canada is quite small, as opposed to the Star Mangled Banner, which is by definition, mangled most of the time. It is an American tradition to mangle their national anthem.

The fact is that Oh Canada is very singable. The Star Mangled Banner is not singable at all.

04-15-13 09:30AM
Curlrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlrock Click here to Send Curlrock a Private Message Find more posts by Curlrock Add Curlrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

Hating on the US again huh Murph? Must be Monday,or Tuesday, or Wednesday........

04-15-13 11:02AM
Beermaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Beermaker Click here to Send Beermaker a Private Message Find more posts by Beermaker Add Beermaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beermaker
Drawmaster

Murphy, you have to be, bar none, the biggest horse's ass on this site, you make Manitoba Legend look good. I often wonder why the Admnistrators have not barred you all together, and as a Canadian, I am ashamed that you are allowed on this website.

I actually know all the words to the Star Spangled Banner and when it is sung well, it is a beautiful anthem, listen to this version by Whitney Houston:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupsPg5H6aE

04-15-13 11:47AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Murphy

Just an FYI. Murphy had been banned from AT LEAST 2 curling clubs in Nova Scotia. Wears out his welcome and moves on. I think that says enough.

It's too bad he doesn't use his knowledge and experience for good instead of continuously insulting a nation.

04-15-13 01:00PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Murphy being banned at only two clubs is a surprise to me. Anyone that hateful surely could double or triple that number if he got out more often.

I actually feel sorry fo him. He must truly be miserable in his sad little life to spout so much venom at people he doesn't know.

Obviously those he does know aren't spared either.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 199.115.148.2

04-15-13 01:55PM
Hot shot tony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hot shot tony Click here to Send Hot shot tony a Private Message Find more posts by Hot shot tony Add Hot shot tony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hot shot tony
Harvey Hacksmasher

Dino, I am in total agreement with you on this. My nation’s anthem is a lovely piece when done “correctly.” As someone who also sings and has performed the anthem at events, it grinds my gears when vocalists add unnecessary runs, trills and ornaments to the notes. I lived in Baltimore for 12 years and people there take their F.S. Key seriously (except at Orioles games when everyone yells OH! during the anthem…. which I do too.) So I am not going to shake my fist at someone if they do make a slight modification. But you said it, national anthems should be sung with pride not with a top 40 or R&B vibe.
I loves me some O Canada, I’ll tell you what. You guys have yourself a fantastic anthem too. I’m itching to sing that an event.
Finally, I read a lot here and rarely post. I have seen bitter ol’ Murphy’s posts time and time again and all I can do is shake my head and pity him. I actually anticipated that he would make a jab yet again at the US and he proved me right. Part of me really wants to know what his beef is with the US but the other part of me knows it is not worth my or anyone else’s time to have him answer.
I must say that bitter ol’ Murph is the clear exception to all the Canadians I have met in my time playing this sport. Everyone, and I literally mean every Canadian who I have played with or against has been nothing but polite and a joy to share a sheet with.

10-02-13 01:09PM
SeamenLuvr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SeamenLuvr Click here to Send SeamenLuvr a Private Message Find more posts by SeamenLuvr Add SeamenLuvr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SeamenLuvr
Hitting Paint

Guys, we must not hate. We must appreciate, each others love, While we are hating people are crying and dying. We are here arguing on the internet instead of helping those that matter. Let idiots butcher our sacred National Anthems. If we do it correctly what does it matter if they sing it wrong, as long as we know it whats it matter if others dont. It is there problem not ours. No one should hate on another's anthem because it sung incorrectly and no country is better than the other.

10-02-13 02:12PM
El Diablo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for El Diablo Click here to Send El Diablo a Private Message Find more posts by El Diablo Add El Diablo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
El Diablo
Harvey Hacksmasher

Lightbulb

In the words of F.S. Key, “Gimme a break! I left it open for like a second."

10-02-13 02:40PM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

Banned? That's total fiction....

In the interest of truth, rather than the fiction which appears above, I have never been "banned" from any curling club anywhere where I was still a member. What they might be talking about is the fact that, once I was no longer a member there, I publicly exposed the executive of a club who had destroyed the junior program in that club where I had coached for 12 years, after I had chosen to end my membership there because of those destructive policies. After sending multiple teams to provincials when I was coaching there, that club has not even sent a single junior men's team to zones, let alone provincials, since 2006, and has not even sent a single junior women's team to zones, let alone provincials, since 2004, because of the destructive policies toward juniors by the executive of that club, which I publicly protested, and which the executive of that club reacted to because they were so embarrassed about their destructive policies being exposed.

Any time I have changed clubs it has been because of 1) life or employment changes, 2) better coaching opportunities, 3) better ice.

I have NEVER been banned from any club while I was a member there, and have never been legally resticted from access to any club. Had I fought the ONE restiction of access to the club where I was no longer a member, I would have won because that restriction was without legal basis ans whould have been overturned had I fought it. The reason that restiction of access to ONE club for a short period of time, was because I rightly exposed the junior program destroying policies of the executive of that club.

The result of those polcies is that the club hosting this year's Canadian Junior does not even have a viable junior program, and that club has not even sent a single junior men's team to zones, let alone provincials, since 2006, and has not even sent a single junior women's team to zones, let alone provincials, since 2004, because of the destructive policies toward juniors by the executive of that club since 2004.

Last edited by murphyj87 on 10-02-13 at 02:42PM