Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-05-18 11:16PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

National championships

Just wondering, will the USA send the national champions to the world championships this year?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-05-18 11:52PM
markwngo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for markwngo Click here to Send markwngo a Private Message Find more posts by markwngo Add markwngo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markwngo
Knee-Slider

Depends on who wins. I believe if it's Fenson, Mccormick, or Birr, then they go based on the requirements of being top 75 in OOM. Not sure what happens if it's the field.

03-06-18 12:54AM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

Birr, Fenson, McCormick, and Persinger can go simply by winning nationals. For anyone else to, they would need some combination of the above teams to collectively finish 4th or worse because it then becomes based on points.

I won't go into extreme detail on the math, but the short version is that both McCormick and Persinger, at the very least, would need to miss the podium for anyone else aside from the four mentioned at the top to have a shot at worlds.

03-06-18 02:18AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

I was thinking more about Sinclair. She was your champ last year and had to stay home.

03-06-18 04:43PM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

I see that Cory Christensen is back to skipping her team. That changes the dynamics on the women's side of the draw considerably. No longer a walk in the park for Jamie Sinclair.

03-08-18 10:58AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Jamie Sinclair would go if she was the Champion, as she is currently 17th in the OOM.

Cory Christensen would go if she was the champion, as she is currently 32nd in OOM.

I do not see Cora Farrell's team on the OOM top 75, nor have they scored 40 OOM points. As such, they would not go as the champion.

As I understand it, if Farrell wins, the top OOM team goes, which means Sinclair.

And, frankly, given performances so far, Sinclair should go.

On the Men's side. McCormick is #21, Persinger is 27, Birr is 54, so they are all good based on placement.

Nernburger has 67 OOM points, so would qualify under the "Must score 40 points" criteria.

Brundidge does not qualify under the current criteria. If he wins, it appears McCormick goes, although Persinger might if Championships results are factored into the OOM standings (I admit, I get a little confused on how this part goes)

03-08-18 11:19AM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

That's a nice summary - thanks.

I was wondering why they stretched out the women's playoffs so much. Sinclair's rewards for running the table is a whole 2 days off before playing a win-or-go-home game. Trying to kill time in Fargo, ND has to be unusual punishment administered by the USCA. I was hoping it had something to do with live TV or maybe live gate receipts, but the 2-3 game is mid-afternoon of a work day and the championship is early on Saturday - no sign that NBC Sports is showing it.

Seems like they could've played one game this afternoon with the finals tomorrow and still had room for TBs.

On the non-whining side. I love the job TESN is doing and the color added by the players. Rich R was super good and Monica is always a laugh.

03-09-18 01:25PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Has any one else notice the insane percentages Team Persinger has been putting up? They shot 90% as a team in the round robin and RR shot 92% at vice?

In last night's page 1 v 2 the team was 95 % and Persinger and RR were 97 and 98 respectively. The lead drug them down at 91%

They are curling well, but these seem a bit high for anyone.

03-10-18 08:45PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

team persinger goes through to worlds. congrats to them.

mccormick would be one of the international teams i would think would be breaking up this season.

i'd hope korey would return to skipping. he was a strong last rock thrower.

03-11-18 11:07AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

And another time a self-formed (non-funded) team wins. Go figure...

03-12-18 02:03PM
corn broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for corn broom Click here to Send corn broom a Private Message Find more posts by corn broom Add corn broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
corn broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

I disagree on a potential breakup of the McCormick rink. They have 3 talented curlers in front of Heater and he is a good Skip. They ran into a really hot and see serving Persinger rink. All you have to do is look at John and Tyler and realize how many times it takes sometimes to peak at the right time. I am confident that McCormick will have their day, it just wasn’t last Saturday.

03-12-18 02:10PM
corn broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for corn broom Click here to Send corn broom a Private Message Find more posts by corn broom Add corn broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
corn broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

Oops that was supposed to say a very deserving Persinger rink!

03-12-18 03:55PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by corn broom
I disagree on a potential breakup of the McCormick rink. They have 3 talented curlers in front of Heater and he is a good Skip. They ran into a really hot and see serving Persinger rink. All you have to do is look at John and Tyler and realize how many times it takes sometimes to peak at the right time. I am confident that McCormick will have their day, it just wasn’t last Saturday.

that team has been together for 2 years and is yet to do anything noteworthy. they have won several events but all of them are on the weaker end of the scale. when they enter into events with tougher fields they fail to maker a dent.

perhaps , if the same 4 players stay on the same team they could move korey up to throw last rock. in my opinion he's the best young rock thrower america has on the men's side. maybe they'd have more success with him throwing last but heath still calling the game

i mean..if you look at the players on this team you have the 2008 world jr. champ in plys and the world junior silver medalist from a couple years ago. expectations for what this team should be able to do had to have been high. so far they're underwhelming

03-12-18 05:25PM
fanofcurling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fanofcurling Click here to Send fanofcurling a Private Message Find more posts by fanofcurling Add fanofcurling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fanofcurling
Harvey Hacksmasher

I couldn’t agree more. This team finished (I think) fifth at Nationals in 2017. Out of the playoffs for sure. I will be shocked if they stay together. Well… the HP Program is running the show…
The HP Program has had four years of HP-formed teams and not one National Championship. The Brown team was another underwhelming team that juggled the line-up with no success either. WHEN is anyone going to say that this “HPP teams formula” doesn’t work? Is the current program really good for USA curling? Are we really going to have to deal with Derek Brown and his philosophy/theory for another four years?
We need a high performance PROGRAM. We don’t need high performance teams formed by “the powers that be”.
They’ve already destroyed women’s competitive curling. The only reason a HPP women’s team is winning is because they systematically eliminated competition by “divide and conquer”. (Example: Alex Carlson was rejected for the HPP for several years. But she kept coming up with winning teams at Nationals. So they put her in the HPP and eliminated competition. Of course she is deserving of the program. That’s not my point.) How long before we see the same demise to men’s competitive curling?
Can you imagine how exciting Women’s nationals would have been if Cory Christenson has a team and Sarah Anderson had a team and Jamie Sinclair had a team and Alex Carlson had a team and Becca Hamilton had a team and Nina had a team and Jessica Schultz had a team and Cassie Potter had team?.. and more? Maureen Stolt... Doesn't anyone miss seeing all these teams and more???? Yes, there is enough talent to draw from. (I watched the finals online. Didn’t see any other women’s games this year.)

03-13-18 10:52AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fanofcurling
I couldn’t agree more. This team finished (I think) fifth at Nationals in 2017. Out of the playoffs for sure. I will be shocked if they stay together. Well… the HP Program is running the show…
The HP Program has had four years of HP-formed teams and not one National Championship. The Brown team was another underwhelming team that juggled the line-up with no success either. WHEN is anyone going to say that this “HPP teams formula” doesn’t work? Is the current program really good for USA curling? Are we really going to have to deal with Derek Brown and his philosophy/theory for another four years?
We need a high performance PROGRAM. We don’t need high performance teams formed by “the powers that be”.
They’ve already destroyed women’s competitive curling. The only reason a HPP women’s team is winning is because they systematically eliminated competition by “divide and conquer”. (Example: Alex Carlson was rejected for the HPP for several years. But she kept coming up with winning teams at Nationals. So they put her in the HPP and eliminated competition. Of course she is deserving of the program. That’s not my point.) How long before we see the same demise to men’s competitive curling?
Can you imagine how exciting Women’s nationals would have been if Cory Christenson has a team and Sarah Anderson had a team and Jamie Sinclair had a team and Alex Carlson had a team and Becca Hamilton had a team and Nina had a team and Jessica Schultz had a team and Cassie Potter had team?.. and more? Maureen Stolt... Doesn't anyone miss seeing all these teams and more???? Yes, there is enough talent to draw from. (I watched the finals online. Didn’t see any other women’s games this year.)

Unfortunately, I don't think it will happen. The HPP will spin the recent gold medal as proof that what they're doing is working, even though if you dig deeper, your points are quite valid and true, i.e., HPP formed teams have not been doing good. Better than they have in the past, sure. But McCormick and Brown have been completely underwhelming, and there are no other women's teams left, so the HPP teams will do good. Imagine what would happen if teams that showed they were successful were given money/support...

03-13-18 02:39PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I'm *hopeful* (but not optimistic) that the HPP realizes that they are doing some things well (getting money and training and support to good curlers to make them better) and not doing some other things so well (forming teams and limiting competition for those supported spots).

If they doubled down on the "We're going to identify our best curling teams, through a fair and open competition, and then we are going to get those best (2 or 3 per gender, plus some juniors) teams all the support we can, access to training and sports psychologists and tools and competition"...then the HPP might, just might...start to be a net positive to the game.

Shuster's Gold is a Gypsy Curse....there is great Opportunity there, but also great Risk.

03-14-18 10:27AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Don't forget the USOC rewards sports who medal. It's probably a year or two away, but look for a significant HPP budget increase. Additional USCA budget dollars could now come in from sponsors, but that's a tough mountain to climb.

As every thread continues to evolve into HPP and format discussions, increased budgets should factor in everyone's thinking.

Ben Tucker