Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 4 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-15-15 07:01AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Women's Worlds 2015

Might as well be a thread for this.

Here we go again. 0-3 and haven't played Scotland, Sweden, or Canada yet... So at what point does USCA go back to the drawing board?

Last edited by IMWright on 03-15-15 at 07:04AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-15-15 07:56AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

the US isnt playing well but then again literally no one is. the percentages make it seem that way but if you watch the actual games you'll see its been really low quality.

they do have to figure things out soon though

03-15-15 08:10AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
the US isnt playing well but then again literally no one is. the percentages make it seem that way but if you watch the actual games you'll see its been really low quality.

they do have to figure things out soon though

I have been watching. I guess the thing is that based on the past, to see Sweden 0-2 is a surprise. To see US 0-3 isn't a surprise. So if the US doesn't do well (again) will the excuse be it was just bad ice? Because it couldn't in any possible way be the HPP program...

What's more likely? The US now has an awesome powerhouse team (by sending the 3rd place team who did good at a bonspiel early on and happened to get enough OOM points to go to worlds) and is being brought down along with the other powerhouses (Canada, Sweden) because of the ice, or it's the same old, same old?

03-15-15 08:18AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

you have a point. im just saying that right now no one is really doing well, its just who can make the fewest mistakes.

its only been 2 years since the HPP program was put into place so i dont think its time to panic yet. however if john shuster comes a long and medals at worlds while none of the HP teams could do it its going to look bad on them this year

03-15-15 05:18PM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

Yeah, tough start for the girls. I always liked playing the favorites early in tournaments, before they get comfortable and before they smell the prize. But the schedule is not working out well for Team USA. Not only are they 0-3, but they have only had the lead for 3 ends - and two of those are 1-0 jobs after the first.

No reason they can't play well starting tomorrow, and feel good winning a few in the sceond half of the draw.

As much as I dislike the HPP, I have nothing but good wishes for the athletes and their dreams! I know some of them and they are wonderful representatives of the US. I expect the shooting percentages of the lead and skip to keep getting back to what we know they can do. Good luck and good curling!

03-15-15 08:56PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

down 4-1 in the 4th.

03-15-15 10:07PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

0-4. Not even close against Eve. UGH...

03-15-15 10:22PM
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by southerncurler
0-4. Not even close against Eve. UGH...

It's gonna be a bumpy ride... #uscafail

03-15-15 10:42PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Since the Team USA at Womens' Worlds was considered the HP Women's B Team.... how often did the distaff side HP staffer(s) now with them in Japan travel with them overseas in big games in the past few months compared to travelling with the A team? Been thinking of what should a coach be saying to them after a couple of days of what must be shattering results but I'm flummoxed because I don't know anyone personally on that team much less what what make them tick in clutch situations, especially when the stage is super big. Those who know them, what would you tell them?

03-15-15 11:10PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

well they basically can afford one more loss or its game over at this point and that means they have to figure out how to canada or sweden and at this point neither seems likely.and there are still other teams that will be tough like japan, denmark and finland

germany next is their most winnable game yet but it wont be easy either.

03-15-15 11:52PM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

What would you tell them? Whoa. Maybe let's get back to playing the way we want to and let the wins and losses take care of themselves? This week should be a special reward for a season of hard work. I didn't expect them to qualify, but I did expect them to be competitive.

The shooting percentages are grim - this 0-4 is not a matter of bad luck or strategy. With 12 teams, the skip is a distant 11th at 57% and the lead is 10th; the vice is T6 and second is T7 so they are right in there. As a team, they are 10th.

I don't know. They do drug testing at these things, can they go out for a heavy sake session?

03-15-15 11:52PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
well they basically can afford one more loss or its game over at this point and that means they have to figure out how to canada or sweden and at this point neither seems likely.and there are still other teams that will be tough like japan, denmark and finland

germany next is their most winnable game yet but it wont be easy either.

Finland is more winnable than Germany IMO, but Norway are the most winnable.

03-16-15 10:27AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

This team did travel to Asia this year. Not as much travel budget as Nina's team, but still well prepped. Say what you will about the HPP staff and coaches (and I'm sure we'll be saying way too much in the very-near future), they are not idiots and they do love the game.

This terrible start is an indictment of something...maybe a few things. Coupled with Alyson's poor showing last year, I see it as nearly proving that sending someone other than our champion dooms the runners-up to unimpressive results. (dang, I hope this doesn't get dbsdbs going again). Curling is such a sport of confidence and momentum. Sending a team that may feel unworthy or not on top of their game may just be dooming them and us.

It will be interesting to talk to the girls and find out what they were feeling going into Worlds.

I find myself really feeling horrible for our girls. I thought it wouldn't bother me near as much because it does reflect very poorly on a High Performance Program that I do not like...but my dislike of the HPP (the program, not the people) is trumped by how much I like our curlers.

Face, Ty, Hammy, Lands...save us. Please.

Ben Tucker

03-16-15 10:45AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
This team did travel to Asia this year. Not as much travel budget as Nina's team, but still well prepped. Say what you will about the HPP staff and coaches (and I'm sure we'll be saying way too much in the very-near future), they are not idiots and they do love the game.

This terrible start is an indictment of something...maybe a few things. Coupled with Alyson's poor showing last year, I see it as nearly proving that sending someone other than our champion dooms the runners-up to unimpressive results. (dang, I hope this doesn't get dbsdbs going again). Curling is such a sport of confidence and momentum. Sending a team that may feel unworthy or not on top of their game may just be dooming them and us.

It will be interesting to talk to the girls and find out what they were feeling going into Worlds.

I find myself really feeling horrible for our girls. I thought it wouldn't bother me near as much because it does reflect very poorly on a High Performance Program that I do not like...but my dislike of the HPP (the program, not the people) is trumped by how much I like our curlers.

Ben Tucker

im sure they do love the game Tuck. however the fact that the women did better at worlds before this program was put into place says something.

allison and erika both had top 5 finishes in back to back years at worlds. no they didnt get a medal but still a far better showing than these last 2 years.

what has happened at the olympics has scared the US federation, and i get that but they panicked and tried fixing it the wrong way.

the results under the program suck and its only going to make it look worse if shuster, a nun funded team actually gets a medal.

every program needs time but how long do you give it. do they abandon it if, in 3 years time the US flops at the olympics again or worse, doesnt even qualify

Last edited by misty1 on 03-16-15 at 10:50AM

03-16-15 11:40AM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

the results under the program suck and its only going to make it look worse if shuster, a nun funded team actually gets a medal.

Not much money there for Face and the guys, but hopefully it's well offset by the power of the novenas.

nom de broom

03-16-15 11:51AM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

Also consider bad ice favours bad teams. The fine shots are just too tricky to try.

03-16-15 12:00PM
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288
Also consider bad ice favours bad teams. The fine shots are just too tricky to try.

That doesn't seem to be helping thus far....

03-16-15 12:03PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288

is tnis a sarcastic remark or are you suggesting that canada, russia, switzerland and japan are bad teams

03-16-15 12:05PM
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:

is tnis a sarcastic remark or are you suggesting that canada, russia, switzerland and japan are bad teams

I interpreted it as bad ice helps to equalize things a bit, so the "bad" teams have a better chance against the typically "good" teams, the Canada's, Sweden's, etc., of the world. Doesn't mean that the "good" teams suddenly do bad.

03-16-15 12:18PM
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by nom de broom

Not much money there for Face and the guys, but hopefully it's well offset by the power of the novenas.

nom de broom

Well, if you strictly look at the numbers, the women finished middle of the pack the past several years. If they were middle of the pack this year, no change, no conclusions really. But if there's a drop to last (I hope the women can pull stuff together to not end last, but thus far, they're last), that's a pretty significant change. What does that imply?

On the men's side, men were 3-8 last year, tied for 9th overall. If the US improves from last year, what does that imply?

(Yes I understand there's different teams from previous years and this year, but to make some comparison from year to year, you have to ignore this)

I'd say there's a decent chance that the men can do better than the US team last year. It depends on which Shuster shows up... But it's within the realm of their skill level to do better.

In general, with the men and women, if results are about the same as 2014, I guess you can't make any conclusions one way or the other on the performance of the HPP thus far. But if there's a big change one way or the other, I think it's reasonable that one can consider the HPP as a factor in that performance (be it good or bad; in the women's case, not so good thus far).

03-16-15 02:37PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by tuck

Ben Tucker

First, I agree with you that I would love to see our teams do well, even thought I do not like the process. You make an interesting suggestion that sending a team other than the Nationals winner is a first step to bad results at Worlds. I do understand why HPP wants to try something different to get better results at the international level. I just think that the National Championship has to count for something more than do the points earned to get there. Use points to decide who gets to Nationals, fine -- but it really should require more than a 2nd or 3rd place finish there to go to Worlds.

03-16-15 08:19PM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

As an expat American living in Canada and reading these threads, I feel great sympathy and frustration ... but I am also very impressed by the number of people who are bringing good ideas and calm wits to the discussion.

I wish you all the very best.

03-17-15 01:21AM
ptg13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ptg13 Click here to Send ptg13 a Private Message Visit ptg13's homepage! Find more posts by ptg13 Add ptg13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ptg13
Harvey Hacksmasher

Watching the USA v. Canadian game tonight.. is this the same lineup that beat Val Sweeting in November to earn the points?

03-17-15 01:47AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Nice to see Russ Howard with some complimentary comments about the USA team, and their program and the process to try and rebuild the teams.

Being a World and Olympic Champion, he would have an idea of what it takes to compete at the top of the game.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-17-15 02:36AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

Remember, Sormunen was tied at the top of the round robin standings at Nationals. Erika Brown may indeed have a better team, but it's not that much better. How much better do people think she would do? My guess is midpack at best. This is why the HPP makes sense to me.

I agree with most people that sending the winner of Nationals is better, but the most likely way to get teams up to the level at the top at worlds is to develop semi-professional teams. If you're program is doing it's job, these teams should eventually be able to win Nationals on their own merit.