Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 3 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
10-26-22 10:58PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

Pan Continental Games

Can anyone please tell me how can I know which sheet will be A thru D for these games in Calgary next week? Ticketmaster shows the home and Away end. Thanks in advance.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

10-27-22 11:51PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

Wikipedia seems to have it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_...g_Championships

Oh, if this is correct, it makes the WCF look incredibly bush league:

quote:
On October 5th, the Chinese men's and women's team withdrew from this competition which caused the Kazakhstan men's team and the Chinese Taipei women's team to be promoted to A Division. On October 10th, it was announced that an error was uncovered in the ranking system and it was determined that the Australia's men team and the New Zealand women's team should be promoted to A Division instead of the Kazakhstan men's team and the Chinese Taipei women's team.

10-30-22 10:17PM
fungusbeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fungusbeets Find more posts by fungusbeets Add fungusbeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fungusbeets
Knee-Slider

the backrooms a horrifying video game with a never-ending maze of randomly created offices.

10-31-22 03:12AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

This is probably Canada's best chance to yoink double gold in one event. With so many oppositions that are much weaker than Canada, I hope to see the fifths get some action, maybe as part of the starting lineup wielding their black tape brooms!

//edit:
According to https://worldcurling.org/events/pccc2022?pageType=teams , Team Einarson has brought Rachel Brown as fifth! Reunion with former skip Val Sweeting! And she was just playing at Autumn Gold which is on-going, although Team Rocque was just eliminated hours ago!

Last edited by curlingclips on 10-31-22 at 03:18AM

11-01-22 08:51AM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

It's a really nice looking curling arena. It's a shame that nobody but the curlers themselves are in it.

11-01-22 10:05AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

This is a long time coming. European teams have had developmental competitive opportunities for decades, in B and C divisions of the Euros, while non European teams had, well, diddly. This is the first iteration of this event and is so important for the development of the international game. We know who could/should hit the podium, and it isn't a gimme. North America and East Asia have the edge. There will be upsets, and lots of thrill and joy in the lower division. I am glad to see this. Too bad there are so few fans.

Last edited by nelski on 11-01-22 at 02:47PM

11-01-22 01:30PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Too bad there are so few fans.

There were many teams in Alberta playing in cashspiels, that a part of me (not so) secretly hopes that some of them will attend to cheer. I wish Team Gim who just won at Autumn Gold would cheer on fellow Koreans. I want to see Rachel Homan cheer on Team Einarson, Kevin Koe cheer on Brad Gushue. Maybe I'm asking too much. I hope not.

11-01-22 05:38PM
CgyCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CgyCurler Find more posts by CgyCurler Add CgyCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CgyCurler
Knee-Slider

Event has been terribly advertised (I live a 5 minute drive from the arena... and only heard about this a few days ago because some of the teams practiced at our club). Although weekday games at the big events aren't that well attended either so maybe some people will show up for the final.

Prices are ridiculous too though. $20 to go see a mostly 6 end blowouts? When the cash spiels last week, with much more competitive fields, cost $5?

11-02-22 07:59PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Why the need to have this tournament?????
Seems like a waste of time and money.

11-02-22 08:45PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Can’t tell if serious

11-02-22 09:46PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by guido
Why the need to have this tournament?????

It's basically the Pacific-Asia championship, which had already been going on for years, plus now America and Africa. Basically everyone except Europeans, which had their own championship that had already been going on for years. They also expanded it into multiple divisions with relegations and promotions, because regardless of what's going on in Canada, the sport is actually growing in the rest of the world.

This FAQ may answer some of the basic questions: https://worldcurling.org/2022/10/pccc-faq/

Personally I think Canada should be excited by the additional opportunity to wear the Maple Leaf. It can open up the possibility for new 2-tier model, for example, something that I had already argued months ago.

Last edited by curlingclips on 11-03-22 at 02:54AM

11-03-22 09:22AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
[B]It's basically the Pacific-Asia championship, which had already been going on for years, plus now America and Africa. Basically everyone except Europeans, which had their own championship that had already been going on for years.

The "Four Continents" name used by figure skating for their all-but-Europe competition is a lot friendly and intuitive than "Pan Continental" (though should technically be "Five Continents" in this case)

11-03-22 10:10AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

The attendance here bad been so bad. Its sad to see. No one cares, and this in canada. There were like 50 people there for canada v.s korea and that feels generous.

Tsn coverage has been embarrassing with games being skipped over in favor of sports highlights or overdrive discussions.

11-03-22 12:37PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Like I said, waste of time and
money.
What was wrong with the old system??
If a team wins the worlds, or for that matter., earns a playoff spot, they shouldn’t be penalized by having to go to a relegation round the next year.
ESPECIALLY if they are the host!!!!

11-03-22 02:44PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Old system isn't big enough, basically. Curling is growing, so the system needs to be expanded. Pacific-Asia championship has now absorbed America and Africa and doubled into A and B divisions. It's not that difficult to comprehend.

It's not a good time to be a curling fan if you're against change. We just had at least 3 Olympics played under very different rules. It looks like 2026 will also be different still.

Last edited by curlingclips on 11-03-22 at 03:30PM

11-03-22 07:02PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Wow! USA beat Canada for both men and women!

Surely double gold in this event is very doable, but it's not obvious to me now which country will get to do it.

11-04-22 01:07AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Like I said, waste of time and
money.
If a team wins the worlds, or for that matter., earns a playoff spot, they shouldn’t be penalized by having to go to a relegation round the next year.
ESPECIALLY if they are the host!!!!

It helps other nations gain valuable experience, which will be needed to grow the sport outside of Canada, which would ultimately benefit Canada as well.

And I'm not sure how Canadian curlers are being "penalized" by participating in a sport that they ostensibly enjoy participating in.

11-04-22 01:43AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hailstone
I'm not sure how Canadian curlers are being "penalized"

A lot of Canadians believe they're entitled to guaranteed freebie spots at international competitions. One TV commentator even expressed their dismay that Canada had to qualify for mixed doubles at 2022 Olympics. They believed that they should be given a freebie spot because they won gold in 2018.

11-04-22 09:18AM
lixit74 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lixit74 Click here to Send lixit74 a Private Message Find more posts by lixit74 Add lixit74 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lixit74
Harvey Hacksmasher

I agree that growth is the key here. Teams need to compete to get better.

The European Champs have had 2 tiers for a long time & it gives emerging countries a chance to play against similar competition.

I see this as being no different than the A and B draws on my Thursday night competitive league. If you're a new team and you're getting blown out 10-1 every game, why continue to play.

I think the issue is that in Canada, we're spoiled by all the bonspiels and the Grand Slams. We sometimes forget that smaller countries that don't have funding to travel to Canada for 2-6 months a year need to find venues to compete at as well...

Again, the expansion is all about growth, growth, growth of the sport. I heard a podcast with Kevin Martin and Warren Hanson earlier this week & they were saying there are something like 89? member nations now in the World Curling Federation. Warren also said that when they started the worlds, there was less than 10 member nations so everyone got a spot at worlds. This isn't the case anymore.

If anything was pointless, it was the Americas Cup. Canada, USA and Mexico competing in a double round robin to determine 2 berths to worlds? Really? How is Mexico every going to beat Canada or USA more than once to get to a world competition & then have to face Sweden or the Swiss???
This new format is head and shoulders above that...

11-04-22 11:45AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I cant believe kerri missed that double to win yesterday. Fir someine as good as her with hits that was fairly simple

11-04-22 11:48AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Looking like brazil will be relegated in both men and women. Honestly, good. They dont belong in the A group. They arent good enough

11-04-22 12:23PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I dint get why china wont allow its curlers to compete and travel. None if their other athletes seem to be restricted like this

Im curious to see how they do when they return. You cant take two years off and expect to pick up where you left off

11-04-22 12:59PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Curling Canada just announced that they will stick to 18 team/3 wildcards format for Scotties/Brier permanently.

https://www.curling.ca/blog/2022/11...format-to-stay/

This stubborn mentality is getting ridiculous in my opinion. Canada also needs to split into A and B divisions, if I have a say in it: elite slammers with no residency requirements wear Maple Leaf at Worlds, and grassroot Brier/Scotties provincial teams wear Maple Leaf at Pan-Continental.

As I said months ago, Canada doesn't need 2022 Scotties gold Kerri Einarson at 2022 Pan-Continentals. Bronze Andrea Kelly/Crawford or silver Krista McCarville are more than good enough.

Canada is too deep to waste this opportunity by sending the same teams twice. Spread the love and let other teams wear the Maple Leaf.

Here's a thought experiment: if WCF expanded so Canada gets to compete 5 times a season, would you still insist that only the Scotties/Brier winners should wear the Maple Leaf all 5 times? I would hope not. No one should be that stubborn.

There is precedence for multiple Canadian teams to wear the Maple Leaf in one season. Unfortunately Curling World Cup died due to sponsor shenanigans, but in that inaugural 2018-2019 season, Canada was represented by Rachel Homan (1st leg), Tracy Fleury (2nd leg), Darcy Robertson (3rd leg), and Jennifer Jones (grand final). None of those teams were the reigning Scotties champion at the time they wore the Maple Leaf.

Last edited by curlingclips on 11-04-22 at 01:47PM

11-04-22 08:47PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
[B]I dint get why china wont allow its curlers to compete and travel. None if their other athletes seem to be restricted like this

I don't see any Chinese figure skaters on the Grand Prix tour this year.

Impressive fight by the Japan men's team who, after an 0-4 start (including a loss to an Australian team that was only just called up from the B group at the last minute), they won their last three and beat New Zealand in an elimination match to eke into the playoffs with a 3-4 record. They'll get crushed by Gushue's team, but maybe they can get lucky and win a bronze off the Korean team.

As if I needed any more reasons to hate the Recast system, they've now started charging double the credits for select matchups.

11-04-22 09:42PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Yeah but the tennis players are traveling and they sent teams to the gymnastics worlds