Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Young People speak up!!!

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
09-19-14 10:51AM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

Young People speak up!!!

It occurred to me that we have had many discussions on what is needed to promote curling.

The one thing lacking in all these discussions is what the younger people, one of the groups we are trying to reach, think.

So for all those under 30, what encourages you to come curling and what do you think discourages more of your generation from joining in?

What can a club do to better attract your generation?

Hopefully I will actually get some input!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

09-19-14 12:39PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mancatsthethird

I've got a bunch of reasons why I always come back to curl every year. First of all I love the sport to death. I used to be at the my club 5-6 times a week curling or watching league games. Besides that I've had a lot of encouragement from my parents to continue with the sport and without that I don't think I would've continued to curl past 2 years (I've been curling for 8 years now). The sense of community I've found in my club is something always brings me back to my club.

To address the question of what discourages people from taking up the sport i believe their are a lot of factors. Firstly I believe that people just simply aren't educated about what curling really is. When I first saw curling on t.v when I was a kid it looked down right ridiculous. Many people don't seem to understand the hard work that every individual player has to put in to be able to play the game. I think that it comes across as something easy to some people. Another issue that I believe is accessibility and knowledge of the curling clubs around us. Where I live learn to curls start at the beginning of the season and don't offer any other programs similar to that until the next season. This seriously affects the ability to try the sport during the prime of the season when curling is on t.v the most. Now the learn to curls in my area from what I've heard and seen are geared more towards those who retired in from the sport and those in their late 20's and up to try the sport out again. The age group that I believe is difficult to target and spark interest in curling in those who are in university. There are thousands of people attending these schools with a limited amount of free time. The only suggestion I have towards recruiting this age group would be that it can offer them a chance to take a break from work, grab a few friends and join a fun league and drink some beer.

So what can a club do? Well it depends on the club. My club is actually the club that Kaitlyn Lawes curled out of. Before she curled with JJ and before the end of her Junior career she spent a lot of time with the younger junior curlers coaching them along and encouraging to continue curling no matter what direction they were headed in. So for my club personally I think that it's key to celebrate the fact that her career started with the club and their support. With that I believe it will help keep the junior we already have and also attract new curlers because it offers a bit of realism to how someone can achieve successes within the sport.

To focus on club in General I'm not quite sure how one might go about attracting my generation. I think that promoting it as an opportunity to get out and some drinks with friends and learn the sport is a possible method. I think for those that are younger than me (I'm 19 btw) its important to offer them a reason to stick with curling. This is where the support of the parents comes in I believe. That support doesn't just come from showing up to curling every weekend but building connections with those in the club.

Hope that my Input helps or is at least cause for a discussion.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 140.193.220.198

09-20-14 08:53AM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

Great input! I know social media is the current best way to advertise but is there anything more specific that can get the word out?

09-21-14 02:04AM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

I'm defintely not under 30 :-)

I'm more than double that, but I started curling in junior high in 1963, and I have coached teams since 1971, most of which were under age 20.

I think the key to keeping young people in the sport lies in good coaching and competition. Of the people I have coached (most at the provincial level or higher) many have stayed in the sport after their junior careers are over.

That is not to say that they are curling in the same club where they started, but curling somewhere. As an example, I only curled in the same club that I came up in junior (high school curling at the time) for 6 years as an adult. but I have curled and coached in several other clubs in the 36 years since I moved away from the area where I grew up.

One of the guys I coached even curled when he was working in Houston Texas, and I think he he is still curling in Florida now, since he is working there now.

My experience after curling high school/junior myself and coaching teams that became quite good teams, some have played at the national level, is that what kept me, and most of the people I coached, in the sport is competition, the higher level the better.

Last edited by murphyj87 on 09-21-14 at 02:23AM

09-21-14 05:33PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

The same strategy that may work with competitive curlers does not necessarily work with recreation club member. The average club curler cares little about great coaches, bonspiel prize $ or travel costs.
What is affecting club membership these days is the "time poor syndrome" . Same malaise that is having an affect on golf courses. Millenniums are too busy with their careers and their families. Many are becoming part of the sandwich generation- looking after their own parents and their children. They can squeeze in an hr at the gym but have no interest in 3 hrs of curling or 4 to 5 hrs of golf.
Recreation facilities need to stop banging their heads on a losing effort of trying to increase membership numbers to those levels of the 60 and 70s. Unfortunately, it is not going to happen!

09-21-14 05:54PM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

I think if you poll recreational curlers in clubs today, a large number will tell you that they curled competitively in their teens and some in their twenties.

09-21-14 08:02PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by murphyj87
I think if you poll recreational curlers in clubs today, a large number will tell you that they curled competitively in their teens and some in their twenties.

"Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for or interpret information in a way that confirms one's beliefs or hypotheses."

09-22-14 12:23PM
murphyj87
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by ngm

"Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for or interpret information in a way that confirms one's beliefs or hypotheses."

What I said is based on fact, in traveling around the province, that many recreational members of clubs in their 30's, 40s. and 50's are players that I've coached or that we played against on a competitive level when in their teens. This is actual fact based on observation, not the conjecture you pretend it to be.

09-22-14 02:14PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

How to attract young people:

1) Increase your Skip's Draft leagues...people can sign up for as many series as they like or as few as they want. Don't make them longer than 6 weeks. Then no pressure to get on a team and members get to know each other.

2) Curling Centers - sigh. All this pc nonsense about the implications of a club.

3) One thing that stops young parents is the babysitting aspect. Offer childcare, check your insurance - charge a fee enough to cover the cost of the childcare provider. Most couples may jump at this chance.

4) Make if fun...have some fun nights, chat about the rules & etiquette in fun way rather than a stern schoolmarm way.

5) If you live in certain parts of the country, accept the fact that there will be non-white people. Look at your neighbourhoods, see what the demographics are. Adjust your marketing to appeal to that demographic.

6)There will be members who may not be as receptive to new faces white or non-white. Keep an eye on that, sadly this will require an engaged membership

7) Finally in the quest to keep the new members happy, ensure that the current ones are kept happy too. Unhappy members will leave, which is not healthy for any club.

09-22-14 02:27PM
lolar3288
Drawmaster

Please...this post is about what the young people think.

It obvious to me that what the older generation think has not been working or the clubs would be full of young people.

I belong to two clubs, one more competitive than the other and the ratio of rec curlers to competitive curlers in the most competitive club is at least 10:1 and 20:1 in the less competitive club. Limit that to OCA event curlers and the ratio goes to around 20:1 and 40:1.

If we dropped OCA/CCA membership (save over $5000) and lost the competitive curlers financially it would probable be a saw-off.

What do the youth think of competitive verses non-competitive options?

09-23-14 12:51PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by murphyj87
What I said is based on fact, in travelling around the province, that many recreational members of clubs in their 30's, 40s. and 50's are players that I've coached or that we played against on a competitive level when in their teens. This is actual fact based on observation, not the conjecture you pretend it to be.

Your particular experience is not everyone else's experience. I've played at clubs, across the country, where very few recreational curlers played competitively in their teens.

Last edited by Guest on 09-23-14 at 01:01PM

09-23-14 01:21PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

Your particular experience is not everyone else's experience. I've played at clubs, across the country, where very few recreational curlers played competitively in their teens.

I'll have to second this.

Most of the curlers I've run into at the club level picked up the game later or were not competitive curlers in their teens (they might have curled at that age, but not competitively).

Granted my experience is in BC and Eastern Ontario (and a little bit in the US), but... yeah, I have to say the amount of recreational curlers that have any sort of competitive curling back ground is extremely small at best (I'd guess less than 5-10%).

In the Lower Mainland of BC, a lot of clubs are filled with social curlers who came into the game in their 20's and 30's. And the same seemed to be true in Eastern Ontario (at least in the urban areas).

I can see in smaller centers there might be a greater number of "competitive" teen curlers, but that's really not the case in more urban centers in my experience.

09-23-14 02:04PM
TBT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TBT Click here to Send TBT a Private Message Find more posts by TBT Add TBT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TBT
Knee-Slider

I am a 34 year old American (older than the target audience, I know) and I began Curling last Winter. I have been fascinated with the sport since the Turin games, so why haven't I been Curling for the last decade? Laziness. And I don't think I'm the only one.

Last year, as I was waiting for a friend to pay their tab at a local bar, I saw a flyer for an Open House that was happening in a little over a week. It explained I just has to show up with $10 in my hand and the rest was taken care of. It was easy and it wasn't some distant future date.

I showed up, and so did 7 of my friends. "Curling! I've always wanted to try that!" Each of my friends repeated the same line to me before agreeing to attend. It took absolutely no selling on my part. We did the Open House. We did the Learn to Curl sessions later in the year. Three of us will be first-year members this season.

So if your club wants to expand membership with my generation and the younger kids, know your audience. We think Curling looks like a blast, but we're not going to knock on your door and some vague message like 'Come try it sometime,' isn't going to get us moving.

09-23-14 02:10PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by TBT
I am a 34 year old American (older than the target audience, I know) and I began Curling last Winter. I have been fascinated with the sport since the Turin games, so why haven't I been Curling for the last decade? Laziness. And I don't think I'm the only one.

Last year, as I was waiting for a friend to pay their tab at a local bar, I saw a flyer for an Open House that was happening in a little over a week. It explained I just has to show up with $10 in my hand and the rest was taken care of. It was easy and it wasn't some distant future date.

I showed up, and so did 7 of my friends. "Curling! I've always wanted to try that!" Each of my friends repeated the same line to me before agreeing to attend. It took absolutely no selling on my part. We did the Open House. We did the Learn to Curl sessions later in the year. Three of us will be first-year members this season.

So if your club wants to expand membership with my generation and the younger kids, know your audience. We think Curling looks like a blast, but we're not going to knock on your door and some vague message like 'Come try it sometime,' isn't going to get us moving.

I think you should be as much the target audience as the youths and under 30's. Clubs need to bring new adult curlers of any age group, and your age group probably has a few more resources, and maybe a bit more time, to spend coming to the rink than the under 30's.

I like the idea of fliers in the local watering hole (or coffee shop, or bubble tea place, or wherever you think your audience is at). Where do adults hang out more often than not anyway?

Clubs shouldn't be focusing on just the kids. New adult curlers are just as important.

Welcome to the game!

09-24-14 11:17AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mancatsthethird

Thought this was interesting seeing as were on the topic of bringing in new curlers.
http://www.curling.ca/2014/09/24/bu...curling-centre/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 140.193.219.39

09-24-14 12:27PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Interesting piece on CBC Metro Morning about young people having fun curling at High Park. But High Park is one of the busiest clubs in Toronto. My friend who curls there was telling me that there is a waiting list to get in!

http://www.cbc.ca/metromorning/epis...24/new-curlers/

I agree with the other posters though Lolar - we need curlers of all ages to join and I noted your remark about my earlier post - babysitting is a key barrier for many young curlers with children.

09-25-14 11:12PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288
Please...this post is about what the young people think.

Right Lolar, liked you've never hijacked any other thread with your vitriol.

It's funny how this pandering to young people has now turned into yet another shot at the OCA.

And did it occur to you that you're preaching to the choir here. How many young people who don't curl do you think actually read posts at a curling website.

Last edited by Guest on 09-25-14 at 11:14PM

09-27-14 09:33AM
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

Right Lolar, liked you've never hijacked any other thread with your vitriol.

It's funny how this pandering to young people has now turned into yet another shot at the OCA.

And did it occur to you that you're preaching to the choir here. How many young people who don't curl do you think actually read posts at a curling website.

A little touchy aren't we! Funny how a value comparism becomes a shot? A closed mind is never full...you must have lots of space for storage!

So it doesn't occur to you that the youth (under 40?) that have taken up curling might have some insight into how/why they started and how to encourage others of their age groups?

I do agree that increasing the age group for response makes sense. Young to me is anyone under 50!

Keep going guys, so far this is great!

09-28-14 05:39AM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

I'm 25 and I started curling when I was 9. I started curling because my parents suggested trying it and loved it since then. My grandfather was also really into curling and I still use one of his brooms.

I think for curlers under 30 the price for memberships at clubs can be pretty high especially since most young people are still paying off school and other bills. It's what held me back from playing regularly the past couple of seasons.

Clubs should try to get kids introduced younger and keep them involved with curling. A lot of clubs are trying the free clinics but I don't know how well these clinics do to attract new members. I know a lot of guys who still play hockey but are thinking of switching to curling soon. Clubs need to get the point across that curling is for all and not just an old persons sport, I know they are trying.

09-28-14 04:47PM
Hutche is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hutche Click here to Send Hutche a Private Message Find more posts by Hutche Add Hutche to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hutche
Knee-Slider

From my experience the biggest factors that keep young people from joining clubs are the cost and lack of offered instruction by clubs. I know many people my age (early 20s) who would love to try curling but do not want to pay the 300-400ish dollars plus equipment costs to play a sport they haven't previously tried. I also have seen first hand that some older members of clubs look down on or do not want young people joining there league because they do not have the same etiquette that they have. At a club I used to be a member of it took years to get the club board to approve a discounted membership for young people (under 30) as well as students because they did not feel it fair to pay more since they have been there longer. While it may not be fair that is not the point of the discounted memberships, it is to add youth to a club that's shrunk in size in the last 10 years as well as a substantial increase in average age. Also once you get the young members hooked on the game they will eventually pay the full membership price.

09-29-14 09:31AM
krisblonski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for krisblonski Click here to Send krisblonski a Private Message Find more posts by krisblonski Add krisblonski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krisblonski
Knee-Slider

The interest IS there: My club's last bring-a-friend/open house event of last year brought in 72 rookie curlers, ~50 of which were in their 20s and 30s. These are people who have typically only seen it on TV and never played as a junior.

They're always gung-ho about registering for a membership but then you hear the question that ALWAYS gets asked: "We're not going to be the only young people out there, are we?" When you answer truthfully (lets face is, there is a reason we're having this discussion), you can just see the interest disappear from their face. You'll have those who stick it out regardless but then often times they'll hang up their gear for good at the end of the season. Why? For something that we promote as a social sport, it's tough to really make GOOD social connections when there is such a dramatic age gap.

So there's the catch: For the same reason why you don't typically see 40 and 50 year olds playing recreational beach volleyball in the summer, no one wants to be the only young person / old person in a group.

I still believe that we're ultimately doing much more harm than good with the extreme focus on competition at bantam/junior ages, but that's a discussion for another thread.

09-29-14 01:54PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by krisblonski

I still believe that we're ultimately doing much more harm than good with the extreme focus on competition at bantam/junior ages, but that's a discussion for another thread.

I agree somewhat with this. However, its not the focus on competition that is bad-competition is not only good, its fun for all as well-its the approach that has been taken over the past 15 years.

And while it may well be appropriate for a separate thread, its my opinion-gained through observation and experience-that we are too 'coaching centric' where junior competitions are concerned.

Yes, we hope that we send the best representatives to the national and world stages. But, is it really that necessary when we are talking about kids?

Are we not better off as a sport to encourage kids to form their own teams within their clubs and participate? Intense junior coaching has a tendency to shut out developing kids thanks to a 'win at all costs' mentality. As a result, discourage other kids, not deemed 'good enough' by the subjective judgement of an adult authority figure.

We also need to relax the coaching requirements for the parents and adults of teens. There simply aren't enough certified coaches to address the needs of all the kids curling. Is it really so awful if a team advances to their provincial championship with a non-certified coach?

Of course not. And when there is a shortage of coaches-who will, in general, gravitate towards those kids they feel superior-we should not place roadblocks in the path of the other kids who want to try.

Because trying is where competitive curlers start and we need more kids, not a select few, competing and having fun. Not only will those kids enjoy themselves because of it, but they me be more apt to stay with the sport in their adult years.

09-30-14 02:22PM
Skid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skid Click here to Send Skid a Private Message Find more posts by Skid Add Skid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skid
Harvey Hacksmasher

Here is what someone in Calgary is doing. Maybe other clubs in other cities can try this.
http://familycurling.com/

10-21-14 06:33AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Insofar as young people are concerned (children and teens), the primary element that is missing in getting them interested in curling is the unfortunate fact that curling is not considered 'cool'. It is obviously beaten out by hockey and even indoor winter soccer in terms of the perception of it being 'cool' - and is also beaten out by several other non-sports activities which are considered 'cool'.

Attracting young people is always going to be based on the popularity of the activity. And 'coolness' is the major element in things being popular among young people.
When it comes to 'coolness', the unfortunate reality is that, despite it being played on frozen water in a cold shed, curling is regarded as being about as 'cool' as lacross or ringuette.

Curling on TV helps to promote the sport, of course - and it's good that it's getting more and more TV exposure. The more curling is on TV, the more people will view it as a legitimate sport, and may become curious enough to try it out. And that's great.
But I still believe that unless kids begin viewing it as 'cool', the curling population will continue to struggle.

Perhaps the CCA could put together a marketing campaign aimed at kids with the theme of 'curling is cool' - incorporating ice being naturally 'cool', etc...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

10-22-14 11:42AM
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Skid
Here is what someone in Calgary is doing. Maybe other clubs in other cities can try this.
http://familycurling.com/

Very interesting...even a family curling league....