Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 15 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-03-13 11:56AM
Smallsey42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smallsey42 Click here to Send Smallsey42 a Private Message Find more posts by Smallsey42 Add Smallsey42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smallsey42
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Brier trivia

quote:
Originally posted by Smallsey42
I was disappointed in the other trivia posted here this week, so here are some questions for you. If you like them, I'll post more during the week.

1. Who won the first Hot Shots in 1995?

2. When one player takes to the ice today, he will equal the all-time record of representing the most different provinces/jurisdictions in his Brier career. Who is the player, which provinces/jurisdictions has he represented and whose record will he equal? Hint: the man tying the record will have to play the son of the man who set the record.

3. There are three Canadian junior championship rinks (one won it twice) that each have members on two separate provincial teams at this years Brier, name the teams and the players.

4. There are two curlers on two separate teams who both won the Canadian junior championship for the same skip but in different years. Name them.

5. There are members (fifth included) of one World junior championship team spread across three teams at this Brier. Who are they and what teams do they play for.

6. This is Glenn Howards 15th Brier, how many times in the past has he not made the Brier playoffs?

7. How many Briers finals has Glenn Howard played in?

Thanks for those who tried these questions. Here are the answers.
Answers:
1. Ed Werenich, Ontario

2.Ryan Fry tied the record, playing with Man, NL and N. Ont. Earle Morris was the first to do it, playing with Ont., Que. and Man.

3. 1998 and 1999 champions from Ont. Skip John Morris, at the Brier with Alberta, and Third Craig Savill and Lead Brent Laing, both at the Brier with Ontario.
2001 champions from Newfoundland Skip Brad Gushue, at the Brier with NL and Third Mark Nichols, at the Brier with Man.
2009 champions from PEI Skip Brett Gallant and Third Adam Casey, at the Brier with NL and Second Anson Carmody, at the Brier with PEI.
(The Roach brothers dont fit the question because they are on the same team at the Brier)

4. NL Lead Geoff Walker won the 2006 Juniors at third with Albertas Charley Thomas. Sask. Skip Brock Virtue won the 2007 Juniors at third for Thomas.

5. The 1998 World Junior Champions included: John Morris (Alta.), Craig Savill and Brent Laing (Ont.) and fifth player Brad Gushue (NL).

6. Once, 1991. Russ Howards Ontario rink, on which Glenn was third, finished seventh at 6-5.

7. ]11 1986, 1987, 1992, 1993, 1994, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-03-13 11:56AM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

Manitoba Legend, along with misty1 and UpYerKilt are the best posters on this site. So sad so many of you are hard on ML. He is one of the only ones who makes this forum remotedly entertaining and gives in depth analysis of practically every game.

03-03-13 12:12PM
Curl401 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curl401 Find more posts by Curl401 Add Curl401 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curl401
Swing Artist

Enjoying the coverage

Cathy Gauthier needs to talk a lot less
A lot lees
Annoying voice and a lot of useless information IMO

03-03-13 01:15PM
icehog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for icehog Click here to Send icehog a Private Message Find more posts by icehog Add icehog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
icehog
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi
If it didn't pick, then it was a horrible throw because it was nothing close to the shot he was playing. His reaction was pretty instantaneous, so I gotta believe it picked.

It didn't pick - it WAS a horrible throw. Martin hasn't hit the broom in the past 3-4 years. Every time he throws they are pounding it out of his hand including several of his throws last night. Don't know about you but to me that is a pretty clear sign that you didn't hit the broom.

I see Kevin complaining about the rocks again today. He needs to wake up and realize that everyone misses shots including him and 9 times out of 10 it is not because of the ice or the rocks. Or maybe he is just the most unlucky skip in the country and has more picks than any club curler out there playing on dirty ice with crappy rocks. Pretty sure his front end could make anyone curl 90 + % with their sweeping - you can be a foot inside and 10 feet light most of the time and still make the shot.

03-03-13 01:15PM
Curling fan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curling fan Click here to Send Curling fan a Private Message Find more posts by Curling fan Add Curling fan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curling fan
Harvey Hacksmasher

Wow,K-Mart off to an 0-2 start.He's his own worst enemy when he gets befuddled by the ice and rocks.

03-03-13 01:58PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I think team Virtue is acquiting themselves very well so far. I have been impressed with the way they are handling their first brier. the draw to the full 4 last night was great.They didnt beat Ontario either but they really gave them a great game and made glenn have to throw a good last stone for the win.

I might be the only one but im not surprised at all to see alberta 0-2.

03-03-13 02:28PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by icehog

It didn't pick - it WAS a horrible throw. Martin hasn't hit the broom in the past 3-4 years. Every time he throws they are pounding it out of his hand including several of his throws last night. Don't know about you but to me that is a pretty clear sign that you didn't hit the broom.

I see Kevin complaining about the rocks again today. He needs to wake up and realize that everyone misses shots including him and 9 times out of 10 it is not because of the ice or the rocks. Or maybe he is just the most unlucky skip in the country and has more picks than any club curler out there playing on dirty ice with crappy rocks. Pretty sure his front end could make anyone curl 90 + % with their sweeping - you can be a foot inside and 10 feet light most of the time and still make the shot.

You don't know what you're talking about. There's no way you can tell it didn't pick from the replay last night. It did look a little unnatural to me. But, it's not like he never admits to a bad throw. Even in that game, he said "this is really bad" on one of his throws. Besides, that's not his go-to "excuse". Usually, if he misses he'll complain about the ice or rocks not doing what he expects. This makes me feel pretty certain that if he says it picks, it picked; he's got other excuses.

If he misses the broom so often and by so much, how come he never misses a peel? He uses his sweepers. It's what good players always do. He errs light and inside. If he didn't do that, he'd be foolish.

He does complain about the rocks and ice more than I like, but almost all top skips do this and it's not like these things aren't factors. Russ Howard is always talking about how the stones will be different and it takes time to figure it out. Is he some kind of idiot?

His front end is the best, but if you think they could make anyone curl 90% your wrong and also an idiot. Are they so much better than other top front ends? And if you ask them well after they're done playing with Kevin, I'm sure they'll tell you he is the best last brick thrower ever.

03-03-13 02:30PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Curling fan
Wow,K-Mart off to an 0-2 start.He's his own worst enemy when he gets befuddled by the ice and rocks.

Let's hope he doesn't duplicate the AB women's results at the Scotties

03-03-13 02:45PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

You don't know what you're talking about. There's no way you can tell it didn't pick from the replay last night. It did look a little unnatural to me. But, it's not like he never admits to a bad throw. Even in that game, he said "this is really bad" on one of his throws. Besides, that's not his go-to "excuse". Usually, if he misses he'll complain about the ice or rocks not doing what he expects. This makes me feel pretty certain that if he says it picks, it picked; he's got other excuses.

If he misses the broom so often and by so much, how come he never misses a peel? He uses his sweepers. It's what good players always do. He errs light and inside. If he didn't do that, he'd be foolish.

He does complain about the rocks and ice more than I like, but almost all top skips do this and it's not like these things aren't factors. Russ Howard is always talking about how the stones will be different and it takes time to figure it out. Is he some kind of idiot?

His front end is the best, but if you think they could make anyone curl 90% your wrong and also an idiot. Are they so much better than other top front ends? And if you ask them well after they're done playing with Kevin, I'm sure they'll tell you he is the best last brick thrower ever.

see i dont get why everyone rates kevin as the best skip of all time. Is it the olympics gold? because i personally would rank jeff, glenn, russ, and randy ahead of kevin..i might even put wayne ahead of him.

03-03-13 03:06PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

see i dont get why everyone rates kevin as the best skip of all time. Is it the olympics gold? because i personally would rank jeff, glenn, russ, and randy ahead of kevin..i might even put wayne ahead of him.

Not everyone does. I do because his Brier record is at least the equal of those guys, probably better. He's won more Briers as skip than anyone but Ferbey and Richardson. He's soon to pass Russ Howard for most Brier wins as skip. He has the Olympic gold that no one there but Russ has. And he has many more slams than anyone. I know slams aren't as big a deal as the Brier, but don't they indicate something? I know his worlds record is a little spotty, but I view that as a bit fluky. What possible argument could one make for Jeff over Kevin? He's behind him in Brier wins and Brier titles, way behind in slams wins (and they were both competing in almost all of them, if not all). The only thing Stoughton beats him in is two to one World titles, but I think Martin's Olympic title puts him above him in international competition. Seems like a no-brainer.

03-03-13 03:07PM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

I am not a Kevin Martin fan (and unlike others here I am fully objective and perfectly accurate in my assessments whether it is a curler I dont really like such as Gushue, Jones, or Martin, or one that I really like) but I do think he is probably the best skip of all time. When he totally gets in the zone there is nobody like him, and I have even seem him in games his team struggled and his shooting percentage was disaesterous and he won over a top team playing great but making just a few spectacular shots at the right time.

It is also amazing longevity, being in discussion for best in the World for over 20 years, being on top in whole different eras as far as both the rules in teh game, and the field; how great he was in Skins and Money events past.

03-03-13 03:12PM
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

Putting Randy Ferbey ahead of Martin is the biggest joke of all. Ferbey isnt even good enough to throw last rock on a winning team.

As for Jeff his only edge on Kevin is that he leads their career head to head I believe, but all the other top teams have feared Kevin much more than Jeff over the years and I am a big fan of Stoughton.

03-03-13 05:05PM
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

I dont hate anyone. Not even Jennifer Jones. I might dislike some teams or players in that I root against them, but that is different than hating them. Most people have favorites and anti favorites, I am not unique in that sense. Regardless of who I root for or against them when I evaluate the abilities of a player or team I am always fully objective and accurate.

03-03-13 05:07PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by KittyHisses

and perfectly accurate in my assessments whether it is a curler I dont really like such as Gushue, Jones, or Martin, or one that I really like) but I do think he is probably the best skip of all time.

Funniest thing posted all day!

03-03-13 06:03PM
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
FWIW, my rankings of greatest last-rock throwers of all-time (Canadian Mens Division) is as follows:

1. Kevin Martin - also leads in best on-ice mutterings.

2. Ken Watson - undefeated at all Briers attended, only lost a couple games

3. Jeff Stoughton/David Nedohin (tie) - Stoughton with the greatest pure delivery, Nedohin a virtual machine during his heyday.

4. Glenn Howard - just incrementally below Nedohin & Stoughton, little to choose from.

5. Don Duguid - two consecutive Briers, 2 consecutive unbeaten world championships.

6. Rock Folk - the legendary master of all shots.

7. Ernie Richardson - a hitting fool

8. Ron Northcott - first skip to understand the power of the sweep.

9. Jim Ursel - had all the shots, just average teams.

10. Wayne Middaugh - best in the world for 2 or 3 years.

Now to find out who I left out???

Hmmm I mostly agree but I dont think either Folk or Ursel would make my top 10 even though both were great. I would rate Ferbey in my top 10 barely, although I agree with giving Nedohin a much higher ranking even if technically Ferbey was the skip of their legendary team. Actually I dont agree with an all Canadian list. I think Lindholm and Ramsfjell both deserve top 10.

03-03-13 06:54PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I dont hate anyone. Not even Jennifer Jones. I might dislike some teams or players in that I root against them, but that is different than hating them. Most people have favorites and anti favorites, I am not unique in that sense. Regardless of who I root for or against them when I evaluate the abilities of a player or team I am always fully objective and accurate.

Well put...we are lucky to live in a country where we are free to,express our opinions without persecution.

03-03-13 07:52PM
freezetothehack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for freezetothehack Click here to Send freezetothehack a Private Message Find more posts by freezetothehack Add freezetothehack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
freezetothehack
Hitting Paint

BC vs. ALB

I would not what to be the BC boys tonight.

The bear is now awake.....and pissed!

03-03-13 07:58PM
Curling fan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curling fan Click here to Send Curling fan a Private Message Find more posts by Curling fan Add Curling fan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curling fan
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: BC vs. ALB

quote:
Originally posted by freezetothehack
I would not what to be the BC boys tonight.

The bear is now awake.....and pissed!

If AB loses to BC,they should literally slink off the ice.

03-03-13 10:09PM
Dackle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dackle Click here to Send Dackle a Private Message Find more posts by Dackle Add Dackle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dackle
Hitting Paint

quote:
Bear Martin seems to have come out of hibernation.

After barfing up a deuce to Bullinski in one, Martin is rising to the occasion.

The occasion demands he cannot lose to a first time fawn; a fawn who's also winless!

The BC skip's name is Bilesky.

03-03-13 10:10PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:

You sound suspiciously like a previous poster here who would frequently contradict themselves and claim objectivity or no bias while trashing people.

03-03-13 10:50PM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
FWIW, my rankings of greatest last-rock throwers of all-time (Canadian Mens Division) is as follows:

1. Kevin Martin - also leads in best on-ice mutterings.

2. Ken Watson - undefeated at all Briers attended, only lost a couple games

3. Jeff Stoughton/David Nedohin (tie) - Stoughton with the greatest pure delivery, Nedohin a virtual machine during his heyday.

4. Glenn Howard - just incrementally below Nedohin & Stoughton, little to choose from.

5. Don Duguid - two consecutive Briers, 2 consecutive unbeaten world championships.

6. Rock Folk - the legendary master of all shots.

7. Ernie Richardson - a hitting fool

8. Ron Northcott - first skip to understand the power of the sweep.

9. Jim Ursel - had all the shots, just average teams.

10. Wayne Middaugh - best in the world for 2 or 3 years.

Now to find out who I left out???

Your list looks pretty good. I feel like Russ should be in there somewhere though.

I have to say I am a fan of Martin's mutterings.

03-04-13 09:03AM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I am rather puzzled why the CCA would choose to use their new rocks at their major curling event of the season? Why not wait until another event or have them ready earlier to use at the Canada cup or even do a deal and use them at one of the grand slams? Why weren't they used at the Scotties?

Oh well, if they use them at the world men's championships Canada will have an advantage.

03-04-13 09:29AM
bradn87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bradn87 Click here to Send bradn87 a Private Message Visit bradn87's homepage! Find more posts by bradn87 Add bradn87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bradn87
Hitting Paint

Re: Pretender or Contender

quote:
I think Monday tells us whether Northern Ontario and Quebec are pretenders or contenders.

I don't need Monday to tell me nutten. Brad Jacobs is the real deal. He's a serious threat. And Menard... well he's won the Brier before, so take that for what it's worth.

Especially with the shockingly poor start from Kevin Martin (http://www.curlingscoops.com/news/2...elief-of-martin ) , a playoff berth is very possible for both of these teams if they don't lose focus.

03-04-13 09:46AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
I am rather puzzled why the CCA would choose to use their new rocks at their major curling event of the season? Why not wait until another event or have them ready earlier to use at the Canada cup or even do a deal and use them at one of the grand slams? Why weren't they used at the Scotties?

I'm surprised by this as well. It's not just K-Mart talking about the rocks....I've seen comments from almost every skip talking about how difficult the rocks have been. I don't understand why the CCA would bust these out at their marquee event.

03-04-13 10:21AM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
What happened to Stoughton on that end TSN showed. Looked to be lying one with his last rock, attempted some kind of triple raise and ended up letting a fawn steal a deuce and tighten the game. AMAZIN'

Jeff probably mentally drained by his game last nite vs. Martin

From my angle in the stands, it looked like Stoughton was trying a hit and roll for two (he was already lying one and was up three at the time). He appeared to be tight on the throw, hit a high guard about half rock, the guard he hit angled back onto another guard a couple feet short of the rings, that straightened it out so that it came right back onto shot rock leaving the opposition with a steal of two.

One of the darndest things I ever saw! I'm guessing that Jeff was rethinking his need to try for two after that result.