Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > European Curling Championships 2018

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-19-18 03:58PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

European Curling Championships 2018

The level of competition the Swedish women's team will face in this year's Euro would appear to be weaker than normal. Can't imagine they will even have to break a sweat to defeat Germany, Italy, The Chech Republic, Finland, Latvia or Mad Madeleine's Denmark, none of which is expected to make the four team playoffs. ( The best of these has a world ranking of 34th and ytd winnings of $5K.)

Of the remaining teams Scotland should make it to the playoffs but I certainly would not bet the farm that they will. M'H was ranked 4th in the world at the beginning of the season but since that time she has rapidly slipped to 13th and I have no reason to believe, at this juncture, a turnaround will be forthcoming. When I see it, I'll believe it!

Switzerland, on the other hand, started the season with a bang finishing 3rd in the Stockholm Cup and 2nd in both the Stu Sells and the Elite 10. Since that time, however, everything has gone south - deep south - and now it appears that Tirinzoni might just decide to seize the reins once again, a move that will get them to the playoffs but unlikely to get them into the winner's circle. The addition of Peter Gallant, their new coach, should pay huge dividends. However, while he led Korea out of the wilderness - without a word of thanks - I'm not convinced he can do the same with T'Z & Co. But no matter how you slice it, Tirinzoni's prospects have improved considerably because of him.

One team that should have a reasonable chance of placing second in the round - robin is Russia. Aline Kovaleva started the season ranked 52nd and has since moved up quickly to 21st. To date this year she has won the Prestige Hotel Classic, the China Open as well as coming in 2nd in the HDF Shoot-Out. Should they bring their "A" game to the finals and should Sweden have an Off Day as they did in '17 , anything is possible ( as it always is in women's curling ).

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-21-18 02:41PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Horrendous pick during Eve’s delivery at the end of their game against the Germans cause her to miss and lose putting Scotland on the verge of missing the playoffs.

11-21-18 02:55PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by southerncurler
Horrendous pick during Eve’s delivery at the end of their game against the Germans cause her to miss and lose putting Scotland on the verge of missing the playoffs.

That's a heart breaker really. I wish them all the best in their upcoming games.

11-21-18 02:58PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

That's a heart breaker really. I wish them all the best in their upcoming games.

Agreed. Absolutely hate picks (though the players hate them more!). Rooting hard for these girls.

11-21-18 07:26PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

yeah, that really sucks. feel for scotland.

i dont know if eve will ever be the same thing. her days as a top curler may ber over. the type of surgery she had.. it's just hard to completely recover from . she does have time on her side, she's young but..still.

i hope im wrong. she's fun to watch and one of the best in the world. from a talent standpoint one of the best the world has ever seen.

11-21-18 09:19PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

I just took a look at the video of Eve’s last shot. There was a whacking great crack in the ice that apparently formed as she delivered the rock.

It’s on the WCT of the Germany vs Switzerland match starring at about 2:40:30.

11-24-18 08:33AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Finals live on Olympic Channel

US fans who get the Olympic Channel....both the finals are being carried live.

As I type this, the Sweden and Scotland men are playing for gold in the 3rd end.

(It’s Saturday Nov, 24, 7:37 am Central as I type)

Last edited by Observer on 11-24-18 at 08:42AM

11-24-18 01:17PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

If anyone PVR'd the 2 finals I would most definitely watch both games.

11-24-18 02:04PM
Beermaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Beermaker Click here to Send Beermaker a Private Message Find more posts by Beermaker Add Beermaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beermaker
Drawmaster

Here is the men's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFXS4bSUkRE

And the ladies:
Could not find the full game, just the highlights, sorry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQQRKNjzFA0&t=5s

11-24-18 02:06PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Impressive first stone draw from Anna to setup a skips deuce for the win.

11-24-18 05:45PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

great win by team mouat today in the final.

just such an impressive display from them. they totally outplayed sweden.

and an impressive resume so early in their career. already have a grand slam, world bronze and european gold to their credit

11-24-18 10:33PM
southerncurler
Swing Artist

“totally outplayed Sweden”

Not really...but they did take advantage of the Swedes mistakes and played up to their level.

11-25-18 12:27AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Congrats Mouat team. This rink seems to be the ones to beat in these events. Good on ya.

11-27-18 07:23AM
skwerl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skwerl Find more posts by skwerl Add skwerl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skwerl
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
“totally outplayed Sweden”

Not really...but they did take advantage of the Swedes mistakes and played up to their level.

McMillan - 95%
Lammie - 84%
Hardie - 86%
Mouat - 90%
Team - 89%

Sundgren - 83%
Wranaa - 79%
Eriksson - 71%
Edin - 65%
Team - 75%

Edin’s last in the 4th end was probably shot of the game but overall I’d agree that Scotland totally outplayed them.

11-27-18 11:56PM
southerncurler
Swing Artist

ah I knew someone would tout the percentages. Down one with in 9 and 10, I’d say the Swedes were okay with that situation and certainly weren’t “outplayed”.

If those percentages were actually accurate of how the game played out I would expect the scots to be up 2 or 3 heading in to the last end, that to me would be actually outplayed.

11-28-18 06:48AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
ah I knew someone would tout the percentages. Down one with in 9 and 10, I’d say the Swedes were okay with that situation and certainly weren’t “outplayed”.

If those percentages were actually accurate of how the game played out I would expect the scots to be up 2 or 3 heading in to the last end, that to me would be actually outplayed.

io agree the percentages dont tell the story. i watched the whole game though. here's what i'd say:

1st end - sotland heavily outplayed sweden. the swedes barely made shots and the only reason they didn't give up more than 1 was because niklas made a great draw on his first

ends 2-5 - were more about niklas .sweden as a team played these ends well but scotland still kept up it was about niklas making good shots on his first to set them up. even in that 4th end sweden didnt look like they were setting anything up until niklas made that angle raise on his first. the 2nd end was really the only one they controlled from the start

ends 6-10 - scotland came out and played great. outplayed sweden through the back half of the game. never let sweden get anything going and niklas had to make good shots on his last to limit damage and allow scotland only 2 in ends 6 and 8 otherwise they could have gotten more. and that 10th end was just brilliant from scotland.

in summary sweden had a strong game for about 4 ends but scotland outplayed them for most of it.

Last edited by misty1 on 11-28-18 at 06:52AM

11-28-18 07:00AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

mouat's rink reminds me a ot of edin's when he first broke out. young rink with lots of potential but mostly untested at senior level and more known for the upweight shots than the draws. at the same time mouat can make the big draws when required to do so. i do still think of the draw and soft shot as a weakness for this team but, much like edin when they get more consistent with it watch out. i wouldn't be surprised to see them dominate in the way edin did for a while there in europe and win a couple worlds...at least one

of course, for bruce the obstacle will be getting to worlds. unlike sweden the scottish men actually have depth. they have 2 other strong teams and more coming for bruce to compete with.on top of that scotland actually has their teams earn their way to worlds unlike sweden so you won't just get hand picked every year, event, after event. niklas will continue to be picked until he retires or another team literally comes from nowhere to challenge him. while i do think mouat is the best of them all i dont think we'll see them play at 9 worlds in a row like edin. (and im sure that number will be stretched to something like 12 or 15 by the time all is said and done).

Last edited by misty1 on 11-28-18 at 07:14AM

11-28-18 09:29AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by skwerl

McMillan - 95%
Lammie - 84%
Hardie - 86%
Mouat - 90%
Team - 89%

Sundgren - 83%
Wranaa - 79%
Eriksson - 71%
Edin - 65%
Team - 75%

Edin’s last in the 4th end was probably shot of the game but overall I’d agree that Scotland totally outplayed them.

These statistics demonstrate just how deceptive percentages can be,eh?

Without knowing the outcome, you might conclude the final score could be something like 8 - 3. But Sweden was actually leading 4 -2 at the end of the 5th! and was only down by 1 going into the final end.

With a perfect 10th end Edin & Co. might have won the whole enchilada despite the fact it was obviously not their day. Why obviously? Because prior to this game they rattled off ten ( 10 ) consecutive wins including a victory over Mouat in the round - robin.

11-28-18 09:49AM
skwerl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skwerl Find more posts by skwerl Add skwerl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skwerl
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

I don’t think shot percentages are the be all and end all but they’re a better reflection of how teams played than scorelines are. I’m sure Edin was absolutely delighted to still be in the game in the 9th and 10th given how much better Scotland had played.