M: KW Fall Classic
M: Anita Cochrane Memorial Junior Men
W: Anita Cochrane Memorial Junior Women
W: Mother Club Fall Curling Classic
M: Mother Club Fall Curling Classic
M: WCT Tallinn Mixed Doubles International
M: Moosehead Fall Open
Eastern Time (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2018 Scott Tournament of Hearts - Penticton, BC (Official Thread)

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 9 of 15 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-31-18 09:30PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

Re: How does the 8-team playoff work?

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Once the tie-breakers are out of the way:

Does the top-rated team from Pool A cross over to play the bottom rated team in Pool B?

2nd in Pool A play 3rd in Pool B?

etc.

Those four winners then get seeded into a FInal 4 Page situation?

Or is there another explanation?

ALL the teams that advance from each pool play ALL the teams from the other pool, so 4 more games each, all the while carrying over their previous record from their original pools. easy right?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-31-18 09:30PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Playoffs - dont they play each of the teams in the other pool and then after that round - page playoff starts

01-31-18 09:54PM
Buzzzardd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Buzzzardd Click here to Send Buzzzardd a Private Message Find more posts by Buzzzardd Add Buzzzardd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buzzzardd
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: How does the 8-team playoff work?

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Once the tie-breakers are out of the way:

Does the top-rated team from Pool A cross over to play the bottom rated team in Pool B?

2nd in Pool A play 3rd in Pool B?

etc.

Those four winners then get seeded into a FInal 4 Page situation?

Or is there another explanation?

The round robin continues with all 4 qualifiers from Pool A, playing all 4 qualifiers from Pool B. Records carry over (except for tiebreakers and wildcard game), so each team will have 11 games.

Top 4 teams will then go to the normal page playoff format.

01-31-18 10:46PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

Tie break

BC beat both NL AND ON and advance I get it.
NL beat ON so why would you need a tie break. They beat them already in the RR. NL should advance as well. ON lost to both.

01-31-18 11:12PM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Tie break

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
BC beat both NL AND ON and advance I get it.
NL beat ON so why would you need a tie break. They beat them already in the RR. NL should advance as well. ON lost to both.

Who beat who or LSA will promote teams to eliminate the number of tie break games but no one can be eliminated based on who beat who or LSA. Therefore NL and ON must play one game to get in.

01-31-18 11:25PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

JJ in miserable, self-defeatist mode tonite. Einarson cracks her open for a Big 4 in 4; Jones making some really wacko calls - EVEN FOR HER. Starting to blame Birchard for the turn of events! Birchard is curling nearly 80% - Jones is scintillating at 38%

Einarson will have to go pure sour cream to lose this one!

01-31-18 11:28PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Jones still showing the odd flash of Olympic Jones form - but tonite its mostly flashes!

01-31-18 11:32PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Tie break

quote:
Originally posted by drawthepin

Who beat who or LSA will promote teams to eliminate the number of tie break games but no one can be eliminated based on who beat who or LSA. Therefore NL and ON must play one game to get in.

Gotcha

Fair I guess not to be sent home with the same record

01-31-18 11:39PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

switch games

They had better not come back with the Jones game. All other draws when the tv game is out of hand they switch. Maybe they want us to hear " I'm sorry " another 20 times. Spiral has started.
ML quick give us the 5 end run down..

01-31-18 11:45PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: switch games

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
They had better not come back with the Jones game. All other draws when the tv game is out of hand they switch. Maybe they want us to hear " I'm sorry " another 20 times. Spiral has started.
ML quick give us the 5 end run down..

It's criminal that they didn't cut to Northern Ontario vs. NWT. I know Jones is a big name, but this game is a dud, and about 8 of her matches will end up on TV this week.

01-31-18 11:47PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Simply put - Jones is a lost soul out there tonite; now dragging Shannon B down with her.

Nothing worse than listening to Russ, Silver Surfer Bernard & Richard Nixon, Jr. make excuses for Jones. I thought I was good at that - they are far better than me! lol

02-01-18 12:25AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

Girls Gone Wild Card

Well done

02-01-18 12:38AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Jones had some good air under her wings but with Fleury busting her up badly this a.m. and then Einarson kicking her to Timbuktu - suspect Jones days are numbered.

I've seen this movie many times before - Jones team will still put up stirring percentages but Jen will kill any buzz they generate.

She's 5-2 now - entering the crossover - wouldn't be surprised is she ends up 6-5 or 5-6, either record won't be good enough for FINAL 4.

02-01-18 01:37AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Yesterday Jones looked unbeatable. Today she is awful. She does so much better when she wants to win rather than thinking she deserves to win.

02-01-18 07:16AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: switch games

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD

It's criminal that they didn't cut to Northern Ontario vs. NWT. I know Jones is a big name, but this game is a dud, and about 8 of her matches will end up on TV this week.

I guess they wanted us to watch a train wreck instead. That was some bad curling last night. I haven't seen much of NWT and would have liked to see that game.

Kudos to WC they played well especially ML favourite Selena.

02-01-18 07:43AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

the new format - from the Heart Chart daily at the Scotties.

The new 16-team, two-pool format which
was unveiled at the 2018 Scotties Tournament of
Hearts now moves into the Championship Pool
stage of the event.

Here’s what’s happens now:
n The top four teams from each of the two
eight-team pools begin play today and continue
Friday. The teams carry over their records from
their preliminary pools, and the four teams from
Pool A then play the four teams from Pool B.

That means EVERY game on EVERY sheet has
playoff implications.
n After those games are completed Friday
evening, the top four teams from the Championship
Pool will go into the Page Playoffs, beginning on
Saturday (a tiebreaker, if necessary, would be
on Saturday morning). The Page 3-4 playoff is
Saturday at 2 p.m. (all times Pacific); the Page
1-2 playoff is Saturday at 7 p.m.; the semifinal is
Sunday at 9 a.m., and the gold-medal game will be
on Sunday at 4 p.m.

The bronze-medal game has
been removed from the schedule.

02-01-18 08:03AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i don't know what to make of jenniffer. it's like the trials all over again. through the first 5 games she looked great. i know she wasn't playing the toughest opposition but she herself was still playing well and making the shots to put opponents under pressure. yesterday she was awful both times

i don't know how this ends up. either she regroups and starts playing well again, the way she can or she spirals out of control like she did at the trials and ends up out of the playoffs. we'll see

02-01-18 10:16AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

The End of Jennifer???

What we're seeing on the ice is the possible end of Jennifer Jones as an ultra-elite curling skip.

What other explanation is there?

Too often, the standard excuses are: 1. She's out of sorts, 2. She's having trouble reading ice, 3. She's trying to get used to her new player (fill in the blank), 4. Her mechanics break down under duress.

Wish TSN crews would spend more time analyzing and less time fawning over the various teams, players, organizing committee, Resbee Coutts, etc. A guy like Russ could easily break down a curling delivery - much like golf analysts break down golf swings. And JJ Jones curling delivery should be broken down. I'm not a technical analyst but its obvious she's "pitch-forking" her out-turns, adding a bunch of turn and distance at the last minute.

Funny thing - if Jones simply went into a defensive shell and used Birchard as her skips rocks - much like Colleen Jones protected herself with Kim Kelly's shots then JJ would have half a chance to make the medal round.

Doing what she's doing will just get her what she's got. A sniff of nothing - and more doubts for next season.

She's still got the best front end in the business - although many arguments can be made that Joanne Courtney has surpassed Jill Officer - and Birchard was providing great support until Jones took a dump in both her games yesterday.

Its gonna be a hard fix now.

She's obviously out of sorts (her go-to excuse), her mechanics are breaking down and she's got a new 3rd in the lineup.

Einarson powered up just by virtue of wallpapering Jones and setting flames to the house - but Einarson could easily draw false confidence from the fact she beat someone who had already beaten themselves.

We'll see what Kerri & Selena do when confronted with legitimate shot-pelters like Scheidegger. That's the real test.

I can't visualize Jones fixing all her problems so I'd rate team chances as follows - TO WIN CANADA:

Scheidegger - 40%
Fleury -17%; Einarson 18%
Englot - 4%
Curtis or Duncan - 1%
Jones - 12%
Maryanne - 8%
*(revised Thurs. Feb. 1, 11:33pm)

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 02-02-18 at 12:32AM

02-01-18 10:47AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Nobody enters the playoff round with more negative energy around them than Jennifer Jones.

Einarson is in a near-euphoric state due to eviscerating JJ in the final rr draw.

Englot is up 'n down; getting by with an above average group in front of her - trying desperately to protect herself from certain shots - she's the new Kelly Scott - unable to generate much leg drive, maximum weight around light hack.

Curtis & Hollie Duncan are nice stories but I don't see them going further than a great round of exit applause when they finally go down.

Fleury is the real wildcard in this thing. Remember, Krista McCarville was supposed to have a long ramp into a Canadian title - with Homan absent but Fleury upset the applecart and here she is. Some amazing games vs. big-profile oppenents put her in the Top 3 favorites.

The real crocodile in the grass is of course, Casey Scheidegger. They didn't get much TV time and they sleep-walked their way to an easy 6-1 record in their pool. They're gonna be a tough out. Jones could have a chance if she was on form but there are grave concerns that JJ is pretty much a spent force, operating on totally negative energy and thoughts!

Event final predictions

1. Scheidegger vs. Fleury
2. Scheidegger vs. Einarson

3. Very, very outside chance of Scheidegger vs. Englot

Can't guarantee with 100% certainty that Alberta will win but she should be in the gold medal game.

btw - C. Scheidegger's biggest cheerleaders are Chels Carey & Valerie Sweeting. . . . . . let Casey be Team Canada next year gives both Sweeting & Carey a good chance of returning to the event as Team Alberta.

02-01-18 01:35PM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

I thought there were interesting contrasts from the thirds last night. Shannon was so-so while Kate, Selena and Crystal were terrific.

The team in front of Jennifer played poorly, and Jones seemed to follow along. Jill didn't stick come arounds, Shannon was just a smidgen off, and Jones looked like a B division club curler.

I think Englot and Fleury will go as far as Kate and Crystal can take them. Each of them has to have the 3rd making big doubles and clearing paths for them to be successful. Selena is a bit different - she has to set up Kerri's take-outs for that team to win. If the thirds don't have good games, those three teams are in trouble.

02-01-18 02:50PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

These two teams are both terrible. Neither of them should advance to the next round. Call it a tie and send them both home.

02-01-18 03:09PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

1 shot made out of last 8

but 7 were close

02-01-18 03:14PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
1 shot made out of last 8

but 7 were close

And the 7th end was just as bad. Embarrassing.

02-01-18 03:55PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Hitting Paint

As Cathy pointed out this morning, I too have also noticed that those teams in the Scotties who have played infrequently on arena ice usually take 4-5 games to adapt.

Although nobody but nobody has been prepared to predict Ontario will reach the finals, I like their chances. At the same time, despite her agonizing performance in the "Cup" and prior, I still have not changed my Hunch prediction of one week ago that Englot will also be a finalist.

02-01-18 04:10PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

ontario is only going to be making it to the playoffs if teams donate wins to them like PEI and Newfoundland did. i've yet to watch and end where they make more than half their called shots.
they have to play manitoba, wild card, nova scotia and northern ontario so them winning more than 1 of those is unlikely to happen.they might win 2 more.

puzzled what happened to newfoundland. they as a team and stacie in particular genuinely looked great, like one of the best teams there through the first 4 games. but then through the back 4 they looked lawful and stacie lost her feel for draw weight completely