W: Mother Club Fall Curling Classic
M: Mother Club Fall Curling Classic
M: KW Fall Classic
M: WCT Tallinn Mixed Doubles International
W: Anita Cochrane Memorial Junior Women
M: Anita Cochrane Memorial Junior Men
M: Moosehead Fall Open
Eastern Time (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2018 Scott Tournament of Hearts - Penticton, BC (Official Thread)

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 15 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-30-18 03:53PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by guido

I do not agree. Because curling canada cant fix scheduling for an Olympic year doesn’t mean they should continue screwing up.
There are 3 teams from one province here this year. That should never happen. Yes, I know ont always has at least 2. They could possibly have 4 next year if Homan has a bye.
Homan is good enough that she should earn a spot anyways.
Get rid of the wildcard AND Nunavut, play a 14 team rr.

yes this new format is ridiculous and yes team homan is good enough to get there on their own.

however if you are going to do this stupid wild card thing then i think the best option would be to give it the team that would have been there this year if not for the scheduling conflict.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-30-18 03:53PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

I like the Wild Card because the field is considerably weaker without it. Part of the goal of this tournament is to pick a great team to send to the World Championship. We should be cramming as many good teams as we can into this field.

Is it fair that Manitoba has three teams in this event? Sure, why not? If we want to address fairness then we first need to look at how comparatively easy it is to qualify out of the provinces and territories where very few people curl. Meanwhile, there are dozens of good teams in the west that can't make the field due to Jennifer Jones or some similar roadblock. Also, the three Manitoba teams might be the three best teams in the field, so I can't see a problem.

01-30-18 04:11PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

the wild card doesn't make a great deal of difference. instead of 4 top teams there you have 5. it doesn't make that much of an impact in the end

01-30-18 05:32PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

I have always believed that the scotties or the brier is not a true national championship. A national championship should have the top teams in the country. Like the Olympic trials. Because you live inside borders should not automatically give that area a birth.

01-30-18 05:51PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

If you give Homan a berth does Koe get a berth to Brier? He didn't win last year.

01-30-18 06:03PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Hitting Paint

Re: Re: really?

quote:
Originally posted by GreatCanadian

Sorry, but I don't need your advice on how to ignore or respond to posts. ML's posts are often belittling, and sexist, particularly to female curlers. Not to mention being way off the mark and silly at least most of the time. He doesn't offend me, but I won't support any posts that belittle the "fawns" of our curling world. And if you can support that, then you're just as guilty as he.

GC

Agreed.
Also, I tried putting him on ignore last night and it isn’t working.

01-30-18 06:09PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

Koe for WC

No. If Gushue won the trials as team Canada then yes for Gushue

Last edited by IN-OFF-FOR-2 on 01-30-18 at 06:12PM

01-30-18 06:36PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

Re: Re: really?

quote:
Originally posted by GreatCanadian

Sorry, but I don't need your advice on how to ignore or respond to posts. ML's posts are often belittling, and sexist, particularly to female curlers. Not to mention being way off the mark and silly at least most of the time. He doesn't offend me, but I won't support any posts that belittle the "fawns" of our curling world. And if you can support that, then you're just as guilty as he.

GC

lol - well you read him, so don't complain. I read him, disagree with him sometimes, sometimes he has some good points.

There are many worse names than a "fawn", I wouldn't be concerned.

but, I don't turn a curling thread into bashing people.

Last edited by CURLER1 on 01-30-18 at 06:43PM

01-30-18 06:58PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

But you have no problem telling others what to do.

01-30-18 07:01PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: really?

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

lol - well you read him, so don't complain. I read him, disagree with him sometimes, sometimes he has some good points.

There are many worse names than a "fawn", I wouldn't be concerned.

but, I don't turn a curling thread into bashing people.

The same posters who feign being volatilely ill & sick upon the posting of terribly nasty terms like fawn, monster & show-curler are exactly the same ones who routinely utilize terms like moron, idiot, old man & nursing home.

Most seldom post much about our collective passion of curling - they're simply trolls, trolls harbouring tons of hate, anger & loathing.

I've been 100% correct on my prediction that these angry & small individuals will continue to infest our pages with continued abusive - until their cards are pulled - and Gerry pulled at least one card so far.

btw I have most of these sick pieces of vermin on "IGNORE". It works really well - only get bits of info when one vermin quotes another and IGNORE doesn't dispose of it like yesterday's garbage!

01-30-18 07:09PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Team Jones seems a bit off, lack of hard competition? According to Vic her freeze went through the house...Jill's missed a few.

Underestimating the "fawns". Russ criticizing the strategy.

01-30-18 07:20PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Team Jones seems a bit off, lack of hard competition? According to Vic her freeze went through the house...Jill's missed a few.

Underestimating the "fawns". Russ criticizing the strategy.

Its almost as if Jones wants to "throw away" a game. She's learned thru her 15+ years as curling's leading lady that sailing into playoffs with a clean sheet is an invitation to disaster.

Try as she does, it seems tonite's fawns are very uncooperative in taking the game to Jones. Jill is off and Shannon Superstar is having her worst game thus far.

Yet they're still up 6-2

btw cb - JJ has been sailing freezes and taps thru the house all year with alarming regularity. She was winning ugly a ton of the time - becoming Queen of the Half-Shots.

01-30-18 07:30PM
freezetothehack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for freezetothehack Click here to Send freezetothehack a Private Message Find more posts by freezetothehack Add freezetothehack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
freezetothehack
Hitting Paint

I am getting tired of the Russ and Cheryl straight ice, everything wrong down east BS. Also, the lauding of the MB shots even after 3 misses in the end.

01-30-18 09:09PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by freezetothehack
I am getting tired of the Russ and Cheryl straight ice, everything wrong down east BS. Also, the lauding of the MB shots even after 3 misses in the end.

I tune Cheryl out if it's AB...it gets bad then...good to see a team from down east take MB to 10 ends. As per our friend ML she was the queen of half shots tonight.

01-30-18 10:17PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Hitting Paint

CURLER 1

As a member of this Forum I have considered your advice to ignore all of ML's postings in the future.

While everybody can appreciate that calling out a fellow poster is something that should be avoided if possible, I find it impossible, curler 1 , to ignore a poster who bashes/trolls the actual athletes themselves. A poster who incessantly belittles, humiliates, degrades and insults women curlers on a weekly basis.

By the same token, I find it incomprehensible that you would see fit to accept and actually support such a person. Because by advising posters like myself to ignore an other poster's crude messages you are, in fact, supporting those messages.
When that poster suggests, for example, that a curler had "soiled themselves", do you not consider this to be well beyond the pale? Surely that's not acceptable in Brandon! Or is it?

And if that's not acceptable to you, rather than blithely telling all the other poster in this forum to close their eyes, please do everybody a favor and advise your 'associate' to smarten up.

01-30-18 11:14PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

Just an observation. If you eliminate ML's posts and the responses to his posts, there will be very few posts left.

01-30-18 11:15PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

The agitated psychopath known as Deliverer has 120 or so posts - prolly 95 to 105 obsessed with certain posters language and content - very little to do with actual on-ice curling or issues of the curling world.

That's the exact type of vermin who should be banned - not only from this forum but from any forum they bring their damaged and off-kilter personalities to.

120 disturbed posts - what a pissant - I applaud anyone who blocks this turd from their CZ stream.

Funny thing - he's not even the sickest of the smalls

01-30-18 11:31PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

Lots of fans dressed up as empty seats. The attendance looks like it's a few hundred for an evening draw. Why have the event in an area of the country that has very little interest in curling. The attendance at Manitoba and Saskatchewan provincials is just as good, if not better.

01-30-18 11:52PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by GregJP
Lots of fans dressed up as empty seats. The attendance looks like it's a few hundred for an evening draw. Why have the event in an area of the country that has very little interest in curling. The attendance at Manitoba and Saskatchewan provincials is just as good, if not better.

Attendance at the Scotties is generally between 35,000 and 100,000 total. My guess is that it ends up closer to that first figure this week. Red Deer, Regina, and London drew about 100,000 each in 2012, 2008, and 2006.

The prices seem reasonable at $19.50, $22.50, and $24.50 for each of the three daily draws. Maybe it's just a function of the population being so small (~40,000)...although population didn't really help Montreal overcome general apathy toward the event in 2014 (39,000 attendance).

I hope they push for better hosts in the future. No more Grand Prairie's, Penticton's, or Montreal's please! And it would be great if they could offer discounted tickets for kids/families, but they don't do any of that.

01-31-18 12:10AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD

Attendance at the Scotties is generally between 35,000 and 100,000 total. My guess is that it ends up closer to that first figure this week. Red Deer, Regina, and London drew about 100,000 each in 2012, 2008, and 2006.

The prices seem reasonable at $19.50, $22.50, and $24.50 for each of the three daily draws. Maybe it's just a function of the population being so small (~40,000)...although population didn't really help Montreal overcome general apathy toward the event in 2014 (39,000 attendance).

I hope they push for better hosts in the future. No more Grand Prairie's, Penticton's, or Montreal's please! And it would be great if they could offer discounted tickets for kids/families, but they don't do any of that.

I think what's happening is this. The Olympics are on in a week or so and I believe ppl are so looking forward to the curling events. The best curlers in the world will be putting on a show for sure. Personally I'm sooooo looking forward to it.

01-31-18 08:01AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

predictions for today:

draw 9

ontario def. british columbia
alberta def. nunavut
prince edward island def. quebec
canada def. newfoundland

draw 10

wild card def. yukom
manitoba def. new brunswick
northwest territories def. nova scotia
northern ontario def. saskatchewan

draw 11:

newfoundland def. quebec
ontario def. nunavut
canada def. prince edward island
alberta def. british columbia

overall record so far now 27-9. that quebec win over newfoundland is one i didn't see coming. coming off my worst day so far predictions wise . morning draw was the worst for me.

but i am so impressed with this quebec team. if their rock curls a few more inches they beat canada and are 4-2 right now.

let's see how i do today:

draw 12:

northern ontario def. manitoba
nova scotia def. yukon
saskatchewan def. new brunswick
wildcard def. northwest territories

draw 13:

prince edward island def. nunavut
alberta def. quebec
newfoundland def. british columbia
canada def. ontario

draw 14:

nova scotia def. saskatchewan
northern ontario def. northwest territories
manitoba def. einarson
new brunswick def. yukon

manitoba, i feel is going to lose at some point. they have a tough day today and haven't really been tested yet. northern ontario should be able to do that . i actually feel like they have a better chance than einarson and that's why i chose them

01-31-18 11:01AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Solid prediction record thus far Misty - the game of the tourney so far is Northern Ontario vs. Manitoba Jones.

Tiny Tracy Fleury had a slow start but is starting to heat up like a veritable volcano. She doesn't want a bad seeding into the playoffs so stopping Jones unbeaten streak will help in that regard.

Jones will have fully scrutinized the draw - and will be fully informed about who her potential opponents should be in the FINAL 8.

Doesn't really matter that much - 6 teams are pretty solid and should advance. ie. Einarson, Jones, Englot, Scheidegger, Fleury, Curtis.

There's room for a couple fawns, too. They'll probably have to wriggle in thru a tie-breaker though. ie. 2 of Anderson, Van Osch, Maryanne, even the Quebec teenage riot squad.

Jones knows going unbeaten is sometimes the worst thing in a round-robin so I expect she'll advance her risk assessment - and either get herself blown out early (8 ends) or do same to Fleury.

But I agree that Fleury heating up and Jones hunting for a blot to her score-card might mean Fleury wins this one.

btw - RIP Laurie Artiss, the Winnipeg-born famed sportswriter who founded the biggest curling pin (and other sports) production company in the world passed away in his nursing home in Nanaimo, BC earlier this week.

01-31-18 11:17AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

BRUTAL TRUTH FOR JONES

is she's getting unprecedented support from her team, even in the absence of superstar 3rd Kaitlyn Lawes.

Birchard & Officer are both clocking in at 90% - frankly I didn't expect either to be close to that #
Dawn is now working at 95% - she's still one of the 2 best leads in the world but I didn't expect 95 - more like 87 to 90; given Jones propensity to screw up ice and line calls.

JJ herself comes into today's matchup vs. Fleury at 86% but I'm still not quite trusting her - too many half shots and throw thrus - plus mostly playing fawns and also-rans.

However, keep in mind Team Fleury is not even in the same ballpark as Team Jones. . . . . but she's on a massive roll. Will any of the Jones team members curl up to their current accum. percentage? Those are the key questions. Can veteran import curler Crystal Webster stand up to super-rookie Shannon Birchard?

01-31-18 12:53PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD

As beautiful as Penticton is, it does seem like an odd choice due to its distance from a population center. Outside of Kelowna, nothing else is really close. Even Kamloops is almost 3 hours away. If I remember right, Kamloops had low attendance when it hosted the brier a few years ago.

Maybe the attendance is not a surprise. If it is, then I wonder where CC thought the fans would come from?

01-31-18 12:54PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Just an observation. If you eliminate ML's posts and the responses to his posts, there will be very few posts left.

I have had ML on ignore for a very long time. I highly recommend it.