M: BC Mens - Lower Mainland Playdowns
M: BC Mens - North Playdown
M: CurlON Men's Cash Spiel - Acton
M: CurlON Men's Cash Spiel - RCMP
W: BC Scotties Open Event #1
W: Alberta Scotties - Qualifier 1
W: Wheelchair Curling Baltic League: Stage 3
Default (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2018 Scott Tournament of Hearts - Penticton, BC (Official Thread)

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 15 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-28-18 10:50PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

WOW - WHATTA STORY

On Raunora Westcott's 107 yr old grandmother. Best thing I've seen on TSN in many years - brought a tear to my eye - and joy to my heart. Superbly well-handled by Brian Mudryk. If you don't think the same you haven't really got a heart.

UPDATE:

Westcott's team led by Michelle Englot putting up a valiant struggle against the superb shot-pelters from Alberta - who are taking on the Rachel Homan role at this year's event.

Still early, 54 yr old Englot putting up a magnificent fight 0 but I don't know how long she can hold up against this level of shot-pelting!

I cannot imagine Scheidegger NOT being around in the final 3 next weekend!!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-28-18 11:55PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
I cannot imagine Scheidegger NOT being around in the final 3 next weekend!!!

A good technical team, but they have made a few strategic errors so far against Team Canada. I hope part of their hard work involves reviewing their matches to see where their strategy can improve. Canada's two-point second end was heavily influenced by Alberta's decision to leave their own stone behind the T-line after a takeout.

Nevertheless, Alberta is the second best team in this field. Team Wild Card is third best, and either Team Canada or Northern Ontario (if their skip can start making some shots) is fourth best.

01-28-18 11:58PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Just think we've identified Jennifer Jones biggest threat = her name is Casey Schiedegger.

Right now, I'd even rate Casey ahead of Jones. Jones has been busy polishing off fawns and getting amazed by Shannon the Sub's striking percentages.

Scheidegger has found her sea legs, shucked off any initial nerves and is shooting lights out - same for her entire team!

Jones front end should be able to stand up to the Alberta front - and Birchard will have to continue her hi numbers streak to leave Jones any chance.

Can see a couple finals this year - both involve Scheidegger...

A - Scheidgger vs. Jones

B - Scheidegger vs. Einarson

only team I can see slithering by either Jones or Einarson is probably Maryanne Arsenault. Nobody else really that scary.

01-29-18 12:07AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD

A good technical team, but they have made a few strategic errors so far against Team Canada. I hope part of their hard work involves reviewing their matches to see where their strategy can improve. Canada's two-point second end was heavily influenced by Alberta's decision to leave their own stone behind the T-line after a takeout.

Nevertheless, Alberta is the second best team in this field. Team Wild Card is third best, and either Team Canada or Northern Ontario (if their skip can start making some shots) is fourth best.

Yes, very good technical team but they haven't had the grace & money to receive massive training & coaching. That said, I'm impressed by what they've been able to achieve on their own. If McTaggart holds up I can't see them losing more than 1 game (everyone has an off game, don't they?)

Jones is obviously the #1 topper at this point but I still think her mediocre rock placement will prove to be her undoing. Accurate shot-pelters like Homan & Scheidegger are her kryptonite!

01-29-18 12:37AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

While Alberta is winning, and if I wasn't watching you would hardly know who was on the ice besides Alberta, listening to the announcers. Had the Canada not made a small sweeping error and put one stone on the button , it could have been a steal of oneinstead of a three count. Alberta might not look as good.

01-29-18 12:55AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
While Alberta is winning, and if I wasn't watching you would hardly know who was on the ice besides Alberta, listening to the announcers. Had the Canada not made a small sweeping error and put one stone on the button , it could have been a steal of oneinstead of a three count. Alberta might not look as good.

Both teams looked good. And true to form both teams made a couple tragic errors.
Englot's errors were a simple centre-line takeout in the 4 where she crossed over and rolled out - scoring 1 instead of an auto-deuce. In the 9th end she faced a tough 1/4 to 1/6th outturn staggered double and while she tried - she's just not wired for that type shot.

Scheidegger executed some marvellous touch shots with apparent ease - but she had to have correct ice and weight to make them. She did.

These are the top 2 teams based on performance thus far. Obviously Jones is unbeaten but she's massacred a couple fawns. JJ has yet to be tested.

01-29-18 07:59AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: True triple knock out

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Agree to disagree. The true triple knockout is by far and away the best way get the best team to advance. Let's say the "best" team wins the A side. They drop to B semi along with the "2nd best team" from the A side, Rather than sit and wait 2 days like they do at the slams.
Then one of those 2 best teams from A side go on to win the B side then down to C etc etc
All along the way the winning teams are eliminating the losers. If you don't or can't win, what makes you think you deserve anything else? Triple knock out can be done in 4 days which saves time and money for the teams. A prolonged round robin opens it up for a lesser team at say 5-5 or 4-4 to squeak into the playoffs and get on a roll and win it all with a team at 10 -0 after the round robin going home.
Regardless the best team will and always does win and in this case Duncan was the best in Ontario. They won. ALL the others lost. The end.

well, like you say we'll have to agree to disagree here.

all i will say is that i do not believe team duncan to be one of the top teams in ontario. i believe they were the best there that week and, yes they deserve to be here. however that does not change my mind.

Last edited by misty1 on 01-29-18 at 08:24AM

01-29-18 08:06AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

did really good on predictions yesterday. 11-1. only one i didn't see coming was new brunswick over northern ontario. let's try today:

draw 6:

northern ontario def. yukom
northwest territories def. new brunswick
manitoba def. nova scotia
einarson def. saskatchewan

draw 7:

canada def. nunavut
prince edward island def. ontario
quebec def. british columbia
alberta def. newfoundland

draw 8:

manitoba def. northwest territories
wild card def. northern ontario
saskatchewan def. yukon
nova scotia def. new brunswick

01-29-18 10:29AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
did really good on predictions yesterday. 11-1. only one i didn't see coming was new brunswick over northern ontario. let's try today:

draw 6:

draw 7:

canada def. nunavut

draw 8:

saskatchewan def. yukon

You won't be doing as well on today's predictions. . . . . I'd say either 9-3 or 8-4

Some potential upsets:
Tiny Tracy Fleury is desperate and can't continue her awful play - with her back against the wall I say she's at least 50/50 to topple Einarson..

Same for Jones - she's been eating fawns for breakfast. Maryanne Arsenault is NOT a fawn!

Stacie Curtis might put up a fight vs. the Alberta monster squad. Einarson won't have a walk in the park vs. the veteran Sherry Anderson & her youngins!

01-29-18 10:31AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Misty's predictions yesterday, 11

out of 12 or a 92% success rate

compares very favorably with the

old geezer's predictions of 7 out

of 12 or a 58% success rate.

Guess they forgot his medication(s)!

01-29-18 10:42AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

Pool A teams seem to have gotten a raw deal. If the records against all opponents carry forward to the championship round then Pool B teams benefit from having to play Nunavut and some pretty mediocre opponents overall. What really should happen is that the records vs. only the other championship round teams carry forward. That way, every team in the championship round is being judged on the same schedule of opponents.

Also, I don't think teams should be allowed to interact with their coaches/alternates during ends without calling timeout. I have seen this occur a few times this tournament.

01-29-18 11:24AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
What really should happen is that the records vs. only the other championship round teams carry forward.

Wait, they're not doing it that way? I would have thought that was a given, but maybe I should have learned by now that CC has a way of getting things wrong.

01-29-18 11:30AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
Misty's predictions yesterday, 11

out of 12 or a 92% success rate

compares very favorably with the

old geezer's predictions of 7 out

of 12 or a 58% success rate.

Guess they forgot his medication(s)!

Only prediction I 100% GUARANTEE is that the above poster will continue personal attacks and rarely talk about the topic(s) at hand.

01-29-18 11:47AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

100% guarantee is Manitoba Idiot will continue to be an asshat. It is getting to be entertaining to see just how low he can go.

01-29-18 01:13PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

team Canada/wild card

Bryan Mudryk just said something I think I agree with. Team Homan had to relinquish their Team Canada entry this year due to the Olympics. Why not next year have them come back as the wild card team?

I'd be for that.

This way they still get their "free entry". without taking a "real" spot from anyone else.

01-29-18 01:18PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Re: team Canada/wild card

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Bryan Mudryk just said something I think I agree with. Team Homan had to relinquish their Team Canada entry this year due to the Olympics. Why not next year have them come back as the wild card team?

I'd be for that.

This way they still get their "free entry". without taking a "real" spot from anyone else.

I heard that as well. Really like the idea.

01-29-18 02:32PM
HerCurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HerCurl Click here to Send HerCurl a Private Message Find more posts by HerCurl Add HerCurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HerCurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

Oh ML...do you even follow curling? Or just your own posts? BC disrespected TC because they woudn’t quit early in Draw 1? Seriously? Nothing wrong with wanting to get a feel for the ice in your first game. And your nonsensical rant on the odds of JJ beating certain teams is , well, nonsensical! You have JJ beating Einarson 6/10 Times. Would it surprise you to know that to date, Head-to-Head JJ has won 17 of 17 games? And don’t even get me started on your fantasy team shake-ups which seem to have teams made up of people from 3 different provinces. Sorry, most of your teams won’t happen because the people you want to move have lives and families at home. Kind of life- and cost-prohibitive for most,not to mention none of your teams would pass the residency rules! But hey, don’t let facts get in the way of your fantasies.

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Englot's super-power is her massive curling brain. . . . . she knows she's physically limited in what kind of shots she can pull off so she works well around such things.

Obviously she's soiled herself on the tour this year - not even coming close to the curling brain who beat Homan twice in the '17 STOH and within a couple inches of taking Rachel out completely in the STOH gold medal final.

The Van Osch family totally disrespected Englot when they went down 4 after 9 and still played it out - forcing Englot to make her last rock takeout in order to avoid a 4-ender by Van Osch. Disrespect in that they said - OK, Michelle we know you're very shaky with your takeouts so you (and the Nunavut skip) might be the only 2 skips capable of gassing 2 straight hits!

I wouldn't underestimate Scheidegger. Might take her a couple games to get her sea legs but she toppled all the so-called Alberta Aces to get her. She's not leaving without a struggle.

Jones is Jones. The greatest Manitoba female curler of all-time - - - also the most mercurial. She can donate games like no other. If its vs. Englot she should win 8 times out of 10. I would think that number is lower vs. Einarson & Schiedegger. Here's how Jones would fare in 10 game series with some of the STOH aces:

vs. Scheidegger - Jones wins 6 or 7 out of 10
vs. Fleury - Jones wins 7 our of 10
vs. Anderson - Jones wins 6 or 7 out of 10
vs. Einarson - Jones wins 6 out of 10
vs. Duncan - Jones wins 8 out of 10
vs. Englot - Jones wins only 6 out of 10

Couple other womens teams not playing STOH;

vs. Muirhead - Jones wins 6 out of 10
vs. Paetz - Jones wins 5 out of 10
vs. Tirinzoni - Jones wins 6 out of 10
vs. Feltscher - Jones wins 6 out of 10
vs. Hasselborg - Jones wins 7 out of 10
vs. Homan - Jones wins 3 out of 10

01-29-18 02:37PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

I've now heard "Birchard" pronounced three different ways.

BIRchard
BirCHARD
BirSHARD

Can somebody in the know tell me how she says it?

01-29-18 02:58PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Pool A teams seem to have gotten a raw deal. If the records against all opponents carry forward to the championship round then Pool B teams benefit from having to play Nunavut and some pretty mediocre opponents overall. What really should happen is that the records vs. only the other championship round teams carry forward. That way, every team in the championship round is being judged on the same schedule of opponents.

Also, I don't think teams should be allowed to interact with their coaches/alternates during ends without calling timeout. I have seen this occur a few times this tournament.

I thought that was against the rules and 5ths/coaches can only come out during the time outs. But I do see interaction between ends but with the coach/5th staying on the bench.

01-29-18 03:36PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Below are some very recent posts ( since Jan. 23rd ) about you M.L., Supreme Champion:

"He's a narcissistic, self-important, belittling moron."

"Years and years of this BS from this dumb ass from Manitoba."

"What the hell is ML babbling about? Wish someone at the nursing home would take away the channel changer..."

"I'd say that ML is (as usual) completely out to lunch."

"100% guarantee Manitoba idiot will continue to be an asshat."

"Legend has about as much real curling knowledge as the nail of my left toe."

"What the hell is wrong with you? Do you think before you say things or does that part of your brain not work?"

Based on these, I would have thought you could withstand just about about any personal attack. Apparently not. Better fasten your seat belt, sport.

01-29-18 03:50PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i agree with those posters that think that only the wins/losses that championship pool teams have against each other should carry forward from the group. a team that, for example comes out of the group with 3 losses basically now has to go undefeated in the championship pool to have a shot. that's just not fair

01-29-18 03:52PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

also definitely an in balance in the pools. wild card, manitoba, saskatchewan and northern ontario all have to go through each other before championship pool play. what dangerous teams does alberta have to worry about?. canada and newfoundland and they already beat canada

01-29-18 04:06PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

draw 6:

draw 7:

canada def. nunavut

draw 8:

saskatchewan def. yukon

i want to change my predictions here a bit.

draw 7 i'll take british columbia over quebec

01-29-18 04:14PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

In game coaching

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

I thought that was against the rules and 5ths/coaches can only come out during the time outs. But I do see interaction between ends but with the coach/5th staying on the bench.

I too thought it was ok to talk between ends but against the rules during play unless you take a time out. Might as well let the coach walk up and down the carpet with weight calls too.

It is not the case for all levels. How many times have you seen a junior coach behind the glass pulling their hair out? What's left of it.

01-29-18 05:33PM
corn broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for corn broom Click here to Send corn broom a Private Message Find more posts by corn broom Add corn broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
corn broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

Hey lets cool it on the ML bashing, we all disagree with each other from time to time but without these posts we might as well shut this down. ML doesn't need my help, but I just think all the trash is unnescessary. Get back to observations of the event,