Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-27-18 10:04AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Team Shuster not playing Nationals

I've just seen it announced by USA Curling that Team Shuster will now not be competing at the US Nationals in Fargo after all.

quote:
Due to media commitments to help grow the sport of #curling, Team Shuster will not be competing at the 2018 Nationals. Team Tucker Smith will take their spot in Fargo. @TeamShuster The Nationals are March 3-10. Watch live webstream at http://www.usacurl.org .
unquote

I know that winning Nationals is a big step towards representing the US at the Worlds in Las Vegas, but that it's not everything and that there's a point total involved. Does Team Shuster already have a big enough point lead that they didn't need to play Nationals, or can someone overtake them for the Worlds spot?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-27-18 10:50AM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

I thought it was interesting that Team Roth was already giving nationals a miss. Wasn't sure what to read into it. Totally understandable given the Gold high and an exhausting trip home.

02-27-18 10:57AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Re: Team Shuster not playing Nationals

quote:
Originally posted by Observer

I know that winning Nationals is a big step towards representing the US at the Worlds in Las Vegas, but that it's not everything and that there's a point total involved. Does Team Shuster already have a big enough point lead that they didn't need to play Nationals, or can someone overtake them for the Worlds spot?

No. By doing this Team Shuster forfeits their ability to go to Worlds.

The World's selection criteria have been set. The champion of Nationals goes to Worlds, so long as they are in the top 75 of the OOM.

That's pretty likely. Shuster can't qualify if he doesn't play at nationals.

02-27-18 01:33PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

not all together surprising that roth and shuster are sitting nationals out. it's a short turn around from the olympics. for shuster not nearly enough time to digest what they did

02-27-18 04:55PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

It's a bad look for US curling that we're hosting the Worlds and can't have our Olympic gold medal winning team even in the hunt to be in it, because of scheduling issues.

Scotland had a similar problem in 2014 with Eve Muirhead's team. They've learned from that mistake and are having a best-of-3 playoff between their national championship winner and Muirhead's very soon. That winner goes to Worlds for them. I wish the US had thought to have something similar lined up if our teams made deep Olympic runs.

02-27-18 08:16PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Hardly true.

He's golden, the redemption story ended Saturday morning at 4:30 AM EST.

His team can go 0-1,000,000 the rest of his life and it's still Golden.

Nobody in the US will even hear of the Elite 10. Frankly, few will hear of US Nationals or Worlds in Las Vegas, curling strikes like a comet every four years, and then recedes the moment the flame dies...at least partially because the season is all but over...other than clubs who have summer programs (not all that many of those), exposure to folks who wanna try it is limited to a "Well, we can get you a couple of lessons before our ice melts in a month...your best bet is to come back in September"

US memories aren't that long.

The Disney pic will go over huge when it hits (if it does, I know nothing, but I'm sure there's folks pitching it as we speak), and in 4 years, we'll see it all again, but Shuster doesn't have to win to keep his Fame...he will always be "OH yeah, that guy who came back and won the Olympics"

02-28-18 01:58AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

No idea what commentators make. Is Fresca in the ballpark? ($200,000).

02-28-18 08:25AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Depends, but probably not.

In the US, there's only really three televised Curling things:

1. "Curling Night in America", which isn't done live (yet, maybe that changes next year, but I'll bet it doesn't). My understanding is that the commentary for that is done as voiceover work once the "rough cut" of the game is done. That doesn't pay all that well, and doesn't require that much time.

2. US Nationals. Hell, they *barely* pay the webcast guys that do most of the heavy lifting here. NBC swoops in for the final, that's one day's work.

3. Worlds. Again, very few games covered. I kinda expect a little more depth of coverage this year due to the Gold, and NBC trying to see if they can capitalize on the combo of competition being held in the US and the gold...however, no Shuster here (unless the USCA manages to game the system somehow...which would be totally like them...) probably depresses interest a little.

That isn't a "Full Time" commentator slot. I doubt Pete Fenson got 200K from NBC. 20K I'd believe.

03-01-18 05:15PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i just noticed corey christensen is not playing at nationals either. is she maybe sick or injured?

seems like a pretty weak lineup all together with roth not there and christensen not there either. seems like sinclair should be able to run away with it

men's field has most of the usual suspects. but again, lacking some big names like shuster, brown and clark. i know shuster opted out but what happened to the other 2?

mccormick is the big favorite here. todd birr probably the 2nd after him.

i wouldn't mind someone unexpected breaking through. if it's not going to be mccormick or birr fenson probably has the next best shot. ..maybe scott dunnam or alex leichter are darkhorses?

03-01-18 06:02PM
Observer
Swing Artist

It was said on the latest Extra Extra End podcast that Cory Christensen may rejoin her team midweek. They’re starting without her, listed as S.Anderson on the draw lists. She, of course, was the alternate for the Olympic women’s team and at the very least must still be dealing with the jet lag. Maybe USA Curling has the women’s team members doing some sort of public outreach this weekend too?

03-01-18 08:01PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Observer
It was said on the latest Extra Extra End podcast that Cory Christensen may rejoin her team midweek. They’re starting without her, listed as S.Anderson on the draw lists. She, of course, was the alternate for the Olympic women’s team and at the very least must still be dealing with the jet lag. Maybe USA Curling has the women’s team members doing some sort of public outreach this weekend too?

oh yeah, that makes sense. i had forgotten she was the alternate for team roth

03-04-18 12:12PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

men's field has most of the usual suspects. but again, lacking some big names like shuster, brown and clark. i know shuster opted out but what happened to the other 2?

Team Nernberger is the remnants of Team Brown after replacing Craig and Jason Smith. Team Persinger is the remnants of Team Clark after replacing Brady. Both lineup changes happened right after the Olympic Trials.

03-04-18 06:24PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Crowd optics look bad...near empty arena.

03-05-18 10:07PM
Observer
Swing Artist

Star teams aren’t there and there’s a major snowstorm hitting, so that’s not surprising.

03-06-18 08:07AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Plus, from an additional optic viewpoint, it looks funny...

"Hey, we just had the Olympics, where we showed Team Shuster was the best in the World! USA USA USA....oh, hey...not even 2 weeks later, we'd like to get everyone together while we figure out who our national champion is..."

It *feels* backwards.

I know, and you know, that it isn't. But to the casual observer who just spent two weeks sucking up all the curling (seriously, #1 Olympic topic on facebook...curling...), it feels weird.

Not sure there's a fix (actually...pretty sure there isn't one...)

03-06-18 09:25AM
Observer
Swing Artist

Why, in an Olympic Year, can’t the Trials and the National Championship be one and the same thing?

03-06-18 09:38AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Because the USCA isn't willing to let there be the slightest possibility of an unknown team becoming our Olympic Representative via free and open competition (or, in other words, "Getting hot and going on a run out of nowhere")

So the Olympic Playdowns are a controlled event with as few teams entered as they can get away with.

Nationals still has to have a path for any team to enter and maybe get there...even if that team wouldn't get to World's...even if that path is expensive and not at all easy.

They aren't deciding the same thing anymore...and I fear that with the Gold, they're going to double down on the "Look, sending our Elites produces success!" (Never mind the fact that Team Shuster wasn't seen as an Elite until the rules in place allowed them to compete against the Elites and show they were, in fact, better).

03-06-18 01:32PM
Observer
Swing Artist

I do worry about the "getting hot and going on a run out of nowhere" factor, and think they're right to try to guard against that. I think there's a better way to achieve that though. And I'm not just thinking about the US trials system... the way the Canadian trials system failed to produce team medals this time would seem to indicate there's trouble there too, especially the way Homan's team played in Korea.
Although they got hot in the Canada trials, they'd had a poor season up until that point, and reverted to that form in Korea.

This is just off the top of my head here... maybe what's needed is rather than one single Trials event, there's instead a series, where the governing bodies assign points values towards Olympic qualification to certain key events in the normal Tour throughout the course of the season or seasons prior to the Olympics, increasing in value the closer we get to the November before the selection. Maybe there isn't a Trials event at all, or if there is, it's only a capstone to the whole process to decide things if the race is close.

03-06-18 08:27PM
Observer
Swing Artist

No, the best teams in the world win the gold medal in the Olympics. That’s what the gold medals in the Olympics are for. This time that was Anna Hasselborg’s and John Shuster’s teams. And John Morris and Kaitlyn Lawes.

03-07-18 02:14AM
dontburntherock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dontburntherock Find more posts by dontburntherock Add dontburntherock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dontburntherock
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
...and I fear that with the Gold, they're going to double down on the "Look, sending our Elites produces success!" (Never mind the fact that Team Shuster wasn't seen as an Elite until the rules in place allowed them to compete against the Elites and show they were, in fact, better).

I agree. In fact, I recently wrote a blog about this very issue:

http://nostonesleftunturned.blogspo...erformance.html