W: Saskatchewan Viterra Scotties Last Chance
W: New Brunswick Scotties Prelims
W: Manitoba Scotties - Central Regional
W: Manitoba Scotties - Westman Regional
M: Dumfries Challenger Series
W: Wisconsin Womens Club Playdowns
W: Manitoba Scotties - Parkland Regional
Central Time (CT)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Olympic Playdowns --

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 9 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-05-17 06:53PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

Almost half way through the biggest spiel of the year, and have seen some excellent curling. It looks like Koe may well be arrested for theft given the way he has stolen games. Number of teams with a chance getting smaller every day.
Since all curling geeks are watching, I'm wondering about the very limited action on this site?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-05-17 07:48PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

carruthers gases a hit

prediction

thursday when the top 3 are decided - some guys will start complaining about how bad the ice is - it looks very unreliable - a playdown like this deserves better -

i havent curled for 40 years but we seldom had to put up with those lights , brooms and the other variables

these guys shud all be 95% - and if they get a zero for a miss ( wether a hit and roll to far or a gas , they would be at 50%)

the teams that are retiring will hopefully complain into the mikes - cant count on the announcers to blame the ice - its always " oh he turned it in or they swept in early " -- swept it early my ant's fanny

ten flicks at the hog didnt make it run straight for 60 feet - a shot after one that curled as it was supposed to

maybe stop sanding the bottom of the rocks to give it 6 ft of curl ..

12-05-17 08:20PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

10 deg , rain and 87 percent humidity in Ottawa today.. The ice is the same for both teams.

12-05-17 09:08PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Swing Artist

ice?

The ice may be the same for both teams, but still terrible. With years of training and sacrifice these players have made, surely to GOD CC could have foreseen and planned for possible bad ice conditions. Rent a couple huge dehumidifiers they've done in the past and have them standing by.. And the announcers trying to pretend all is well and how hard the ice makers work...and the players don't dare speak out. How do they expect to get the best team to represent Canada with these conditions?

Having said that, sometimes it's good to see the pampered elite play on less than acceptable conditions, especially if this is what they may face at the Olympics.

12-05-17 09:25PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

Maybe these huge cavernous Arden's may not be the best venue. Smaller arena with good ice could be advantageous.

12-05-17 10:39PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

TSN playing a great game of "Protect the Ice-Maker"

Curling - pretty much going according to form.

Mild surprise = Koe downing his 1st 5 opponents - he's been really sharp - but I expected him to suddenly awake for this big event.
McEwen, the non-artful mechanics, doing well but get ready for incendiary reactions when they're bumped.
Jacobs & Gushue experienced some turbulence but I fully expect The Big 3 to materialize at the end - ie. Koe, Jacobs, Gushue. Koe seems to have the best chance to go to South Korea.

Womens - a total form chart. Jones is unbeaten but she's really not making enough shots. The Mean GIrls are coming on strong - Rachel is starting to put 90s on the board so I suspect she's probably on form.
Jones or Carey only opponents who can stand up to Rachel - and then, just barely.
Order doesn't really matter to anyone other than Jones. Being in the final is her personal cockpit - where she's in charge of flight arrangements.

If Rachel wins out - and downs JJ in their final confrontation - she'll nab #1 spot - UNLESS Carey also wins out - then Carey gets #1 by virtue of the opening round W she pasted on Homan.

12-06-17 06:14AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Drawmaster

ROR

"I didn't expect that to be quite as easy as it was," Carey said. "They're a better team than that. But we'll take it because we've had a couple of close nailbiters that were hard on the nerves.

"So it's nice to have one that was a little easier."

This is a statement made by Carey after her win over Scheidegger. Carey had better learn to keep remarks like this to herself.

12-06-17 09:51AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: ROR

quote:
Originally posted by albetts
"I didn't expect that to be quite as easy as it was," Carey said. "They're a better team than that. But we'll take it because we've had a couple of close nailbiters that were hard on the nerves.

"So it's nice to have one that was a little easier."

This is a statement made by Carey after her win over Scheidegger. Carey had better learn to keep remarks like this to herself.

I agree. Carey has to go to politically correct school and learn from masters like Glenn Howard, Jennifer Jones, etc. Too much hubris in her comments - kinda reminds me of Jeff Stoughton shootin' his mouth off.

Despite Rachel now curling like the monster she's become she has to be careful to not lose another easy game before drawing Jones in the final round. A loss to a fawn, then going down to Jones would give her 3 losses - and someone like Kris McCareful could slip in ahead of her.

Don't think that's gonna happen. In fact the opposite - Rachel probably wins out - and takes down either Carey or Jones in the final.

Carey is putting up great numbers - about equal to Homan - BUT does anyone have confidence she can maintain those down the stretch? That's why she's labelled a Yo-Yo curler!

Jones is NOT putting up great numbers - she's getting by on guile and experience - PLUS a great team w/ incredible brushers. Very vulnerable to a shot-pelting by either Homan or Carey - in fact Scheidegger had her suffocated but let go of the pillow a bit early and Jen hacked her with an unbelievable steal.

12-06-17 10:00AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

The biggest trap game left for Homan is vs. Val Sweeting, the inconsistent lefty from Alberta.

Metrics for a Rachel loss is Val & Lori O shooting lights-out and Rachel having a slightly down game (B or B- game)

That would probably force Homan into a sudden death situation vs. Jones in the final round-robin draw - having to erase Jones just to qualify - or risk qualifying for a tie-breaker at 5-3 which is not yet certified.

Val Sweeting, after 3 straight opening losses is starting to power up - if she gets by Scheidegger this a.m. she'll still be in the hunt - so Val vs. Rachel could be a true slobber-nokker!

12-06-17 10:08AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

lol

they shove a mic in your face after a game and you acknowledge you had an easy game .. big deal

look what people say on here !
anonymously

its like the widiets at cnn hating trump and overanalyzing ever tweet - morons!!! especially the non men - if u get my drift

btw the reason we have most politicians is because the really smart and capable ones think its an impossible job and its not worth the abuse from the press and the mouthy great unwashed posters ..

we are lucky to have trudeau , trump , merkel etc evn harper was ok if he hadnt lied abt paying duf the $90,000

paliser in manitoba is trying but he is a bit of a prima donna and rubs me the wrong way n but better than ml !

sorry , but if nominated , i will not run, and if elected i will not serve , and ...

and somebody would dig up video of me tossing or breaking ( many) brooms ..

top 3 m and w are tightening up the entrance circle

12-06-17 01:43PM
8ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 8ender Find more posts by 8ender Add 8ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
8ender
Knee-Slider

you seem to introduce your politics a lot

It’s a curling site. Not a political one. Keep it that way.

12-06-17 03:40PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Its a longshot but becoming more probable Jennifer Jones loses out (her last 3 games) which prolly creates a logjam for 3rd spot in round-robin.
Jones has been mostly putrid - now her team is matching JJ in the bad shot department.
Carey is nothing special - but Jones is self-incinerating this afternoon.

If the trend continues she'll have a tough time getting by the cautious Krista McCarville - and then really not standing much of a chance vs. the continuous shot-pelting of Homan.

Frankly, as I predicted for several months - this is basically turning into a coronation for Rachel Homan's Ottawa Mean Girls.

Just that TSN & other curling media are trying to create intense drama - when the only drama is who's gonna be Rachel's next victim - and what will the score be.

Mens situation a different kettle of fish. Lots of guys who can topple Koe if he's not careful (Jacobs, Goo, even McAnik Mike)

12-06-17 05:02PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Ah. I see Legend-in-his-own-mind hasn't changed one bit. On the Jones bandwagon and then off because they're struggling against Carey (shocked you havent dissed your favorite target, COC, yet. ) and you're desperately trying to annoint Homan now that your obsession is in danger of losing a game.

Both fields won't really sort themselves out until tonight's and tomorrow mornings draw as 3 losses is still very much in play.

But keep up the substandard efforts Legend. Sad to see some things never change.

12-06-17 07:01PM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Click here to Send maybo a Private Message Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

Well, since CC’s rink is the only one on the women’s side without a loss, and the fact she’s playing with a heavy heart, I, for one, am pretty impressed with her week so far.

12-06-17 07:14PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by maybo
Well, since CC’s rink is the only one on the women’s side without a loss, and the fact she’s playing with a heavy heart, I, for one, am pretty impressed with her week so far.

Sorry - didn't hear about any "heavy heart" issues re: CC. Could you elaborate?

CC really didn't have to do anything other than stay upright this afternoon. JJ basically incinerated herself. Jen curled an atrocious 63% (charitable scoring) and Chelsea clocked in at 73%

12-06-17 07:32PM
Ajay
Swing Artist

Her grandfather passed away and the funeral was today.

12-06-17 09:01PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

McEwen starting to pout and blame everyone else on his team.

12-06-17 09:11PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

the 3 ender - like an upside down9 - the sign of bad luck - the kiss of death

6-1 after 6 ... hmmm

in bed by 9

12-06-17 09:46PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
the 3 ender - like an upside down9 - the sign of bad luck - the kiss of death

6-1 after 6 ... hmmm

in bed by 9

Mike is an excellent mechanical curler but when pitted up against wiley monsters with proven track records he usually wilts. He'll never represent Canada at an Olympics, little chance of winning gold at a worlds, but still a punchers chance of grabbing one Brier in the next 2 or 3 year window.

Reid Carruthers has a far better chance of grabbing Manitoba a brier - but even Reid would fall prey to the 2 or 3 great world teams.

McEwen is like a big powerful bear, roaming the countryside. Most powerful animal in the land - just really prone to man-made bear traps. With Mikey, he usually gets trapped by the first bear-hunter he encounters (Koe, Jacobs, Gushue, etc.)

12-06-17 10:14PM
southerncurler is online now Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Click here to Send southerncurler a Private Message Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Tough error to lose your Olympic chances on from Scheidigger.

12-06-17 10:21PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

homan loses tonight

then god draws one beside another and its an easy double for 13

i apologize for renaming curling plinko based on soo much luck

i should have said russian roulette - wherein you put way too many pullets in the chambers

and 8 ender if u dont like politics - skip thurs - we talk colonoscopy - pics on u tube

12-06-17 10:36PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by southerncurler
Tough error to lose your Olympic chances on from Scheidigger.

Not quite Schiedegger's time. She doesn't have the coaching, training, resources or ability to hurl laser beams like Miss Rachel.

Almost had Rachel down but got nipped by a nose at the finish line.

Rachel would probably have made playoffs even if Casey had been able to TKO her. But now its a 3-way race for 1st & 2nd place - and with Ali Flaxey gifting Krista McCautious a game, McCarville and Sweeting are still in the hunt for a tie-breaker at 5-3. But they'll need help from Jones - JJ has to lose to both Krista & Rachel to fade away.

Krista's chances now rest on Jones losing out - and her team winning out. But one of those games is Krista vs. JJ - and JJ is still wallowing around, trying to get a handle on ice conditions. She's gonna be in tough vs. a cautious performer like Krista.

If Jones continues to curl in the 55 to 67% range she'll be cannon fodder for Homan in the final round - Homan will make short work of JJ if the form chart holds and Jones can't find ways to manage the ice.

12-06-17 11:38PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I think most would agree a Koe vs. Gushue final is looming. Jacobs wants in on the action but I'm afraid 3rd place is in his future.

On the women's side - 95% chance R. Homan will be in the final, either out of the 1-spot or even the 2 or 3-spot.

Jones and Carey will supply victim services; really outside chance Val Sweeting or Krista McCarville slithering in thru a late-booking tie-breaker if Miss Jones crashes as the form chart predicts -

So here's the odds on being a finalist:

Homan - 95%
Carey - 63%
Jones - 27%
McCarville - 14%
Sweeting - 10% (only this low cuz she's yet to face Homan; another loss termimates her quest!)

Side odds on Jones going 0-2 in her final 2 games and then losing a tie-breaker - 49% (rather high but some would say low based on her play thus far)

12-07-17 07:45AM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

the system is rigged

gushue pics in first end - gives 3 game over

mcewen gives up 3 on crappy ice , game over

the winner will be
a. gets a break
b. gets huge miss or bad call from opposition
c. curls 100%

still the cream rises

12-07-17 08:16AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
the winner will be
a. gets a break
b. gets huge miss or bad call from opposition
c. curls 100%

So basically the same as any other spiel.