Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Cathy O and Crystal Webster teaming up

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-27-13 08:56PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Cathy O and Crystal Webster teaming up

So apparently Cathy Overton Clapham will be Joining team Webster. She will be replacing Erin Carmody

Thoughts?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-27-13 08:57PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Not really sure what to make of this myself. There is no question at all that Cathy is at her very best as a 3rd. However she is a vastly superior shot maker to crystal and I dont know how the partnership will work

04-27-13 09:38PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Oh Cathy, why won't you just go away!?! Off to manipulate some more young curlers. Hope these girls know what they are getting into or it will be quite the painful season....

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 71.17.87.89

04-28-13 08:59AM
Unregistered

So much for Cathy taking a year off and just occaaionnally sparing..

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.250.205.64

04-28-13 12:23PM
Unregistered

Mmmm ... if Carmody was punted for Cathy O, wonder what her fans and her favourite Winnipeg scribe will say as one reflects back on the word war waged against Jennifer Jones.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.151.61.190

04-28-13 12:37PM
Unregistered

Lets see, get booted from the best team in ladies curling after losing a can final, then get booted by your young team WHEN they have a pre trial spot?

You want to wonder who the problem is?

Good luck team Webster you are going to need it!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 74.216.106.60

04-28-13 02:26PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Lets see, get booted from the best team in ladies curling after losing a can final, then get booted by your young team WHEN they have a pre trial spot?

You want to wonder who the problem is?

Good luck team Webster you are going to need it!

She wasnt booted from her young team so I really dont get what your talking about

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

04-28-13 05:14PM
Unregistered

quote:

She wasnt booted from her young team so I really dont get what your talking about

Really, her lead quits, the other 3 had an option to carry on with the pre trial spot, but knowing that the 2nd is going to continue to play with the lead, Cathy decides to "retire", which lasts exactly 2 months which is about a month more than prety much everyone figured.

Ahh why can't people leave the game gracefully.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 74.216.106.60

04-28-13 07:57PM
Unregistered

quote:

Really, her lead quits, the other 3 had an option to carry on with the pre trial spot, but knowing that the 2nd is going to continue to play with the lead, Cathy decides to "retire", which lasts exactly 2 months which is about a month more than prety much everyone figured.

you and i have extremely different definitions of being boot ed then dont we. Who the hell are you by the way to say when she should retire. If she still has a passion for the game then let her play

she also never sayed that she was retiring she said she wasnt sure what she was going to do

04-28-13 08:00PM
Unregistered

quote:

Couldn't agree with you more! She has now stomped on the dreams of ANOTHER young curler who has worked hard to try and represent Canada at the olympics.

This is her 4th team since the 2009 trials..... wonder who the issue is.... must be the all other curlers she played with...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 71.17.87.89

04-28-13 08:21PM
Unregistered

quote:

Couldn't agree with you more! She has now stomped on the dreams of ANOTHER young curler who has worked hard to try and represent Canada at the olympics.

This is her 4th team since the 2009 trials..... wonder who the issue is.... must be the all other curlers she played with...

Its really f*cking amazing how people who know absolutley nothing about what truly went down here can come on and spew crap like this. For all we knew erin stepped down and cathy was called to take her place. Given the fact that this is Cathy joining crystal it can almost certainly be assumed that crystal is the one who reached out to her .

04-29-13 11:09AM
Unregistered

Re: A Ride to the Rings

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

It also puts another roadblock into Jennifer Jones Olympic dream as she knows Cathy O will curl like a twisted monkey in the round-robin game vs. JJ.

Anyways Jones plans are to win this thing and represent Canada at the Olympics. Cathy O's plans? More like laying a stomping on Jones and preventing JJ from getting to Soshi.

You have already assumed the Webster team with Cathy O will grab one of the 2 spots in the pretrials and get to Winnipeg.. At t his point that is far from a given its way less than 50/50 the new Webster team will make it out of Kitchener and get to Winnipeg

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 198.20.51.134

04-29-13 01:38PM
Unregistered

I know people on here will be quick to blame cathy if team webster fails to make the trials but lets put something into perspective. Crystal webster is easily the most over rated skip in this country, possibly in curling right now. She has never won anything big nor has she done anything to justify the attention she gets and the expectations people have of her. She is not a good skip, she cant make the big saving shots. Cathy O can curl lights out and make a ton of shots but if Crystal cant close the deal or save the end it wont really matter and its the same for any third on this team.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.164.58

04-29-13 02:31PM
curlingmad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingmad Click here to Send curlingmad a Private Message Find more posts by curlingmad Add curlingmad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingmad
Swing Artist

quote:
I know people on here will be quick to blame cathy if team webster fails to make the trials but lets put something into perspective. Crystal webster is easily the most over rated skip in this country, possibly in curling right now. She has never won anything big nor has she done anything to justify the attention she gets and the expectations people have of her. She is not a good skip, she cant make the big saving shots. Cathy O can curl lights out and make a ton of shots but if Crystal cant close the deal or save the end it wont really matter and its the same for any third on this team.

I think this pers must be from AB and has watched all of the teams... you are very accurate in your assessment and I don't think much will change if the team can't close the deal.

04-29-13 02:40PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by curlingmad

I think this pers must be from AB and has watched all of the teams... you are very accurate in your assessment and I don't think much will change if the team can't close the deal.

This is sarcasm yes?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.164.58

04-29-13 03:26PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Re: A Ride to the Rings

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Can't say I blame Cathy for hitchin' a ride to the rings with Webster.

Even at 44 Cathy can't get the taste of Team Jones deciding to evict her as their third 3 years back.

Webster is the last resort. A so-called glamour curler who hasn't won much on the cash circuit and has never repped her province, except as a spare when Shannon Kleibrink brought her into the Scott as team 5th.

In defense of Webster and Cathy O, there was no real success after Webster managed to convince the Island girls to move from PEI and join her in pursuit of curling's top titles. This year was worse than last and probably convinced Webster to pull the pin on Carmody and go to Plan B (Cathy O)

The good thing for Webster and Overton-Clapham is that no one will expect them to do much at the trials. Webster's performances in big games have been nothing short of putrid. Cathy O had a mutiny on the bounty in Manitoba, resulting in girls quitting and her pre-trials spot going poof. Cathy did admit she isn't much of a skip and the pressure had gotten to her.

If the missing elixir was Cathy O's fierce drive and determination to win, then there's nothing wrong with some new medicine being injected into one of Canada's most under-performing competitive teams.

It also puts another roadblock into Jennifer Jones Olympic dream as she knows Cathy O will curl like a twisted monkey in the round-robin game vs. JJ.

But can she do it in the rest of Team Webster's matches? Thats the key question!

Also don't like what has transpired with Carmody. Putting two plus years in with Webster and now THIS??? Of course, if it was Carmody's decision to back out, thats fine. But I suspect there was more to the plot than that. We may never know.

At this point I don't know what plans JJ has for boarding a fifth on her team. But if there was any street justice, I hope Erin Carmody garners much consideration. After the heroics Jones wreaked on Carmody's squad (O'Rourke, Carmody, GL Ramsey, Trish Affleck) and the miracle shot JJ exterminated the tremendous Jenn Hann it would be so gracious if Jones picked up either Hanna (now semi-retired I'm told) or Carmody to be her fifth player.

Anyways Jones plans are to win this thing and represent Canada at the Olympics. Cathy O's plans? More like laying a stomping on Jones and preventing JJ from getting to Soshi.

This reads as if Cathy O is the ONLY curler in the way of Jones getting to the Olympics.

04-29-13 05:08PM
ssrulle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssrulle Click here to Send ssrulle a Private Message Find more posts by ssrulle Add ssrulle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssrulle
Swing Artist

All I am seeing is a lot of negative towards Cathy O and Crystal Webster. Nothing has been said, to suggest Erin was kicked off the team or even left the team.

Who is to say Erin doesn't have a commitment issue for an event like the Pre-Trials and they have asked Cathy to step in and spare. Until Crystal or Erin make an announcement (should there be one), there is no reason to degrade any of those three players.

I will bring to your attention that Cathy filled in for Erin at the final WCT event in Grand Prairie and the team finished 3-2 in their pool. Maybe they felt Cathy was a good spare for their team, should they need one.

Time to grow up people and stop making ridiculous speculations about a rumor, that may not even be true. Some of you also need to get over the Jennifer Jones/Cathy O split. It was 3 curling seasons ago, why dwell on it?

04-29-13 05:10PM
Oly M. Pics is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oly M. Pics Click here to Send Oly M. Pics a Private Message Find more posts by Oly M. Pics Add Oly M. Pics to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oly M. Pics
Hitting Paint

quote:

I also agree with this. You can have the best 3 curlers in the world throwing ahead of you, but if you can't make the shots when they count, you're done.
Can anyone list the wins that Webster has to her credit?? It will be a short one.
I don't think she has ever been in a provincial final, and has only made the playoffs a couple times.

Last edited by Oly M. Pics on 04-29-13 at 05:30PM

04-29-13 06:55PM
ssrulle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssrulle Click here to Send ssrulle a Private Message Find more posts by ssrulle Add ssrulle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssrulle
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Oly M. Pics

I also agree with this. You can have the best 3 curlers in the world throwing ahead of you, but if you can't make the shots when they count, you're done.
Can anyone list the wins that Webster has to her credit?? It will be a short one.
I don't think she has ever been in a provincial final, and has only made the playoffs a couple times.

She made it to a provincial final in 2000, but she was playing third for Cheryl Bernard at the time. She won the Alberta provincial juniors in 1994 as a skip. Other than that a couple of wins on the tour.

She did advance through the 2009 Olympic Pre-trials through the A-side. She beat out Amber Holland, Sherry Middaugh, Rachel Homan and Kelly Scott to get through.

04-30-13 09:51AM
Oly M. Pics is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oly M. Pics Click here to Send Oly M. Pics a Private Message Find more posts by Oly M. Pics Add Oly M. Pics to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oly M. Pics
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by ssrulle

She made it to a provincial final in 2000, but she was playing third for Cheryl Bernard at the time. She won the Alberta provincial juniors in 1994 as a skip. Other than that a couple of wins on the tour.

She did advance through the 2009 Olympic Pre-trials through the A-side. She beat out Amber Holland, Sherry Middaugh, Rachel Homan and Kelly Scott to get through.

Pretty short list.
Going back to 1994, there is 50 teams from Alberta that should be ranked higher. But, I was only refering to her "recent" skipping "accomplishments". Overrated may be the correct term.

04-30-13 11:00AM
the yap is offline Click Here to See the Profile for the yap Click here to Send the yap a Private Message Find more posts by the yap Add the yap to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
the yap
Harvey Hacksmasher

Location: down the street from psychotic right next to oblivious

saw on facebook that Erin said she was booted from the team.

quote:
Originally posted by ssrulle
All I am seeing is a lot of negative towards Cathy O and Crystal Webster. Nothing has been said, to suggest Erin was kicked off the team or even left the team.

Who is to say Erin doesn't have a commitment issue for an event like the Pre-Trials and they have asked Cathy to step in and spare. Until Crystal or Erin make an announcement (should there be one), there is no reason to degrade any of those three players.

I will bring to your attention that Cathy filled in for Erin at the final WCT event in Grand Prairie and the team finished 3-2 in their pool. Maybe they felt Cathy was a good spare for their team, should they need one.

Time to grow up people and stop making ridiculous speculations about a rumor, that may not even be true. Some of you also need to get over the Jennifer Jones/Cathy O split. It was 3 curling seasons ago, why dwell on it?

04-30-13 03:00PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Too bad for Erin, maybe she will return to PEI where a good young talent might have a better opportunity of making the Scotties and one day the trials.

Webster still needs to get through the pre-trials first. Good luck! Maybe she and COC will be more compatible.

04-30-13 03:44PM
Oly M. Pics
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Too bad for Erin, maybe she will return to PEI where a good young talent might have a better opportunity of making the Scotties and one day the trials.

Webster still needs to get through the pre-trials first. Good luck! Maybe she and COC will be more compatible.

Or, maybe stay in Ab. and join up with a young team (there are several) and build for 2018

04-30-13 03:55PM
Unregistered

Erin could potentially go back to PEI and perhaps hook up with suzanne birt and that team would be onstoppable out there.

It might be tough for Erin though because she has always curled on a team with geri-lynn

05-01-13 10:52AM
iCurl

Still no Official list of teams for the pre-trials. Cathy O is on the Unofficial list even though she "retired" a couple of months ago, and now appears to have joined another team on the list. Breanne Meakin will be 5th for Team Carey, so I wouldn't expect her Howard and Loder to make use of this spot. Not sure if its the 2yr. point list that will be used, but if so it looks like McCarville or Birt will become the final team

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.161.69.30