Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-17-15 03:02AM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by peteski
Remember, Sormunen was tied at the top of the round robin standings at Nationals. Erika Brown may indeed have a better team, but it's not that much better. How much better do people think she would do? My guess is midpack at best. This is why the HPP makes sense to me.

I agree with most people that sending the winner of Nationals is better, but the most likely way to get teams up to the level at the top at worlds is to develop semi-professional teams. If you're program is doing it's job, these teams should eventually be able to win Nationals on their own merit.

I pretty much agree with this, I think the best pro circuit team should go, but teams like Brown can't really play the tour, if they were funded the same way they probably would get and be better. Having said that, does this method actually work, I mean Russia and China have been doing it this way, hand picking their curlers to try and make an ultimate team, China has 1 gold, 1 silver and 2 bronzes, Russia have 1 bronze, so it may or may not be a better way to go, only time will tell.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-17-15 07:51AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I woke up in a good mood this morning. I checked my curling scores and saw the girls beat Japan. Then I was in a very good mood. But, NO, I just had to check the threads. Bad mood.

Ice: Good ice, bad ice, straight ice, swingy ice...the advantage goes to those who have played it before. (I was never a great curler, but I was once a great bad ice curler) Our girls, obviously, have limited experience with bad ice.

dbsdbs: Requiring teams to have Points in order to make it to Nationals will have unintended consequences. It will have our teams playing too much in the USA where Points are easier to accumulate. Brady Clark, for instance, always plays a tough schedule. Your proposal would have him playing more in Minnesota and that's not good. Also, such a system might simply become a path that just rewards the richest, as those that can afford to travel rise to the top every year. A compromise might be to require playdown teams to shoot a certain number of tour events. Perhaps a total of 5 with at least 2 being in Canada.

Stoner: Of course China and Russia have their semi-pros. They have very little choice. They have practically no curling clubs and practically no curlers. They are "curling nations" only in the broadest definition of the term. They will do well as long as tours and Canada allow them to do well.

I'd enjoy a conversation about "Would Erika's team have done better?", but after Worlds is over. Until then, I can brighten my mood by seeing a USA victory.

Ben Tucker

03-17-15 10:58AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
dbsdbs: Requiring teams to have Points in order to make it to Nationals will have unintended consequences. It will have our teams playing too much in the USA where Points are easier to accumulate. Brady Clark, for instance, always plays a tough schedule. Your proposal would have him playing more in Minnesota and that's not good. Also, such a system might simply become a path that just rewards the richest, as those that can afford to travel rise to the top every year. A compromise might be to require playdown teams to shoot a certain number of tour events. Perhaps a total of 5 with at least 2 being in Canada.

Under the current system, teams can only count 4 USA events towards their 6 events points totals. It's also in their best interest to play in Canada already as the points available in the USA (while growing) aren't worth enough to give teams a realistic chance of being the World team without playing International events.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-17-15 12:38PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

I believe I read that Aileen was benched for the Canada game, and Monica got moved into skipping? Did she skip the team at any point during the season?

If not, talk about getting thrown to the wolves. And Sweden is next. Whew.

03-17-15 01:11PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
I woke up in a good mood this morning. I checked my curling scores and saw the girls beat Japan. Then I was in a very good mood. But, NO, I just had to check the threads. Bad mood.

Ice: Good ice, bad ice, straight ice, swingy ice...the advantage goes to those who have played it before. (I was never a great curler, but I was once a great bad ice curler) Our girls, obviously, have limited experience with bad ice.

Ben Tucker

It's not bad ice. It's the kind of ice many club curlers in Canada play a lot, and if you read it well it favours you. Sweepers of course have to be mindful of any patchiness in certain spots. The woman from US probably lack enough breadth of experience period on all sorts of ice conditions.

"Elite curlers" might be spoiled somewhat on "normal" arena ice when the curl is there on draws BUT the hits can be thrown super straight with minimal risk. A curler like J. Jones may not adjust immediately to the challenge on this arena ice, but they will adjust.

Any claims that Brown would have done better are pretty shallow, my take on things is the US simply has no elite woman's teams at the moment and at least a few younger players are getting experience. However, this whole idea of grabbing players from all over the country for an "all star" team seems destined to failure, unless the majority are planning on settling in one spot and playing/practicing all winter together, as most top Canadian teams do unless they are highly experienced veterans.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-17-15 at 01:35PM

03-17-15 01:35PM
ChiefIceMinion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChiefIceMinion Click here to Send ChiefIceMinion a Private Message Find more posts by ChiefIceMinion Add ChiefIceMinion to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChiefIceMinion
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by SPMFromPCC
I believe I read that Aileen was benched for the Canada game, and Monica got moved into skipping? Did she skip the team at any point during the season?

If not, talk about getting thrown to the wolves. And Sweden is next. Whew.

Yes, Monica skipped during the USA v CAN game. They've also jiggered the throwing order for the two games before that, with Monica throwing 4th and Aileen skipping from the 3rd spot. I don't know if Monica has previously skipped this team in an event.

03-17-15 02:25PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

Monica didn't look all that comfortable skipping to me. No doubt Aileen was struggling, but I think the team is better off with her calling the game at least.

03-17-15 02:30PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

It's not bad ice. It's the kind of ice many club curlers in Canada play a lot, and if you read it well it favours you. Sweepers of course have to be mindful of any patchiness in certain spots. The woman from US probably lack enough breadth of experience period on all sorts of ice conditions.

"Elite curlers" might be spoiled somewhat on "normal" arena ice when the curl is there on draws BUT the hits can be thrown super straight with minimal risk. A curler like J. Jones may not adjust immediately to the challenge on this arena ice, but they will adjust.

Any claims that Brown would have done better are pretty shallow, my take on things is the US simply has no elite woman's teams at the moment and at least a few younger players are getting experience. However, this whole idea of grabbing players from all over the country for an "all star" team seems destined to failure, unless the majority are planning on settling in one spot and playing/practicing all winter together, as most top Canadian teams do unless they are highly experienced veterans.

Agree 100%. You can't blame the ice for U.S. underperformance. The top teams, and even some of the so-so teams, are managing the ice conditions just fine. How has our coaching staff been assisting our team adapt to the ice and learn the WCF rocks? At this level, the game is more mental than it is physical--that is, the players pretty much all have the requisite physical skills, and the most performance gain is likely to come from improving the mental aspects of the game--and both team dynamics and experience are extremely valuable here.

I understand that Aileen has been struggling, and perhaps the coaching staff wants to get the alternate some in-game experience, but the constant tinkering with the lineup cannot be a routine strategy for increasing team performance. If the U.S. wants to prepare competitive teams, it needs to let players settle into roles they accept and relish, and have them practice and play a lot in those roles to develop the team dynamics and trust that is so essential for success. (Shoot, this even works at the club and bonspiel level.) And work a lot on the mental aspect of the game. That's a role for the coaching staff.

03-17-15 03:42PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Monica didn't look all that comfortable skipping to me. No doubt Aileen was struggling, but I think the team is better off with her calling the game at least.

Just watched the beginning of this game. Aileen is sick so they sat her for this game. Even Vic Rauter got benched this morning with sickness, they brought in Al Cameron from the bench.

03-17-15 03:47PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Yeah, even I won't hang this lineup change on the HPP staff completely...the broadcast says there is a bug going around, and Aileen is ill...

given that and the fact there's no reason to gutcheck out these remaining games to fight for anything, makes just as much sense to let Aileen be ill and let the other 4 get some games in.

03-17-15 04:20PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

I do not mean that points should be required to get to Nationals -- obviously that cannot work. What I meant was that points could be used as ONE WAY to qualify for Nationals. However, I still think the Nationals winner should go to Worlds. It just makes no sense to have a team getting to Nationals knowing that a 2nd or 3rd or even 4th place finish is all they need to go to Worlds. Anointing a world rep and then tinkering with the line-up at Worlds is not the answer.

03-17-15 04:33PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Mood is darkening. Nine Ender ain't helpin'. I wanted to hold off on the "would Erika have done better" discussion until after Worlds. Especially now because our remaining schedule is against the bottom half of the standings. The girls can finish strong like the Junior Boys and the WUGs boys. I'm still cheering.

However:

We don't have any contending teams? We have 3 Women's teams in the WCT Top 35 and 6 in the Top 60. We have contending teams.

Erika would have done better. You say that league curlers in Canada see this all the time. Guess what: Erika curls league in Toronto.

Erika's vast experience would have her far better suited for the field of play we are seeing at Worlds. No doubt.

Erika's team also would have entered Worlds with the confidence that comes with winning the gold medal at Nationals.

Sum it up and I firmly believe that Erika and her team would have done better in the early going. That being said, I'm still cheering. USA USA USA

Ben Tucker
Why does my mood still depend on curling scores? This is ridiculous. I need to read a book or start yoga or something

03-17-15 04:46PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

So there seems to be some agreement that USA would have been better off at Worlds had they sent the event champion. Maybe -- we will never know. What we have now is 4 different lineups in 7 games. That is some kind of coaching -- should really build confidence in the curlers when each shot they try may be a factor in whether they get to play in the next game.

03-17-15 05:16PM
Shotrock1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shotrock1 Click here to Send Shotrock1 a Private Message Find more posts by Shotrock1 Add Shotrock1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shotrock1
Harvey Hacksmasher

Four different lineups in seven games is really silly IMO. Speaks to desperation. Hardly promotes a "team" feel.

In all this discussion about the advantages of a hand-picked team, focusing your efforts on a few talented and dedicated curlers and how other countries have had success with that, let's not lose sight of this ...

One of the biggest advantages the US has is the population. Working almost exclusively within this HP formula pretty much ignores the opportunity to fill the big end of the funnel with quality athletes. Sure, one could say the two are not mutually exclusive, but in practice they appear to be (especially given the reality of limited funds).

Who really thinks this current plan is on target?

03-17-15 10:59PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Shotrock1
Four different lineups in seven games is really silly IMO. Speaks to desperation. Hardly promotes a "team" feel.

In all this discussion about the advantages of a hand-picked team, focusing your efforts on a few talented and dedicated curlers and how other countries have had success with that, let's not lose sight of this ...

One of the biggest advantages the US has is the population. Working almost exclusively within this HP formula pretty much ignores the opportunity to fill the big end of the funnel with quality athletes. Sure, one could say the two are not mutually exclusive, but in practice they appear to be (especially given the reality of limited funds).

Who really thinks this current plan is on target?

But, with the limited funds, how can you really take advantage of that opportunity?

03-18-15 12:21AM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:

But, with the limited funds, how can you really take advantage of that opportunity?

... by recognizing that improvement does not come overnight -- in spite of what USOC wants -- and by spending that money at the other end of the funnel. Instead of focusing dollars on a very few rinks for worlds, spend that money on junior development where growth and improvement can happen faster.

Last edited by dbsdbs on 03-18-15 at 12:53AM

03-18-15 08:29AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Well. They picked up a win over Sweden (the rest of the world can thank the US for that). Looks like what should be a win over Finland (7-4 in the 9th with hammer as I type this). At least that's a morale booster. A bit too late to do anything except play spoiler. And this doesn't change my opinion at all in terms of HPP or if that team should have gone. But at least there is some good news.

03-18-15 08:37AM
Shotrock1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shotrock1 Click here to Send Shotrock1 a Private Message Find more posts by Shotrock1 Add Shotrock1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shotrock1
Harvey Hacksmasher

dbsdbs - My thoughts exactly. For a sport that does this extremely well, look to USA Swimming. My son is a skilled swimmer (13 years old, and is in the pool about 14 hours a week.) He's not an uber-elite swimmer, but skilled enough (like many others) that he could certainly "break out". USA Swimming could spend more money, time and effort only on the top .25%, but they do an excellent job (through Junior Olympics, Zones and Districts) of keeping thousands of swimmers in events by keeping the "entry" times high enough to assure a critical mass of swimmers. What has this produced? Lots of kids that believe they can get to Olympic Trials. And lots were not in the top .25% at age 13.

If USA curling thinks they are fostering an inclusive atmosphere with this HPP invitation process and where even the winners of our national championships don't go to represent the USA at worlds, they are kidding themselves.

The goal of a well-run business is long-term profitability. You may have to take short term hits to achieve this, but again if you have a country with a population size of the USA and you aren't leveraging that you're making a mistake. All, IMO, of course!

03-18-15 12:13PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IMWright
Well. They picked up a win over Sweden (the rest of the world can thank the US for that). Looks like what should be a win over Finland (7-4 in the 9th with hammer as I type this). At least that's a morale booster. A bit too late to do anything except play spoiler. And this doesn't change my opinion at all in terms of HPP or if that team should have gone. But at least there is some good news.

We have good athletes. We are just not quite there in terms of consistency/decision making/teamwork compared to the top teams. We showed well against the weaker teams, but those teams made a lot of mistakes. We can't get over the hump against the top teams, who don't give you that many openings.

The ice has been somewhat challenging for everyone, but the top teams are adjusting and communicating, and making a higher percentage of their shots. That's experience and/or good coaching coming through.

03-18-15 04:51PM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

... by recognizing that improvement does not come overnight -- in spite of what USOC wants -- and by spending that money at the other end of the funnel. Instead of focusing dollars on a very few rinks for worlds, spend that money on junior development where growth and improvement can happen faster.

But how much money does the other end of the funnel cost? My guess is significantly more to make any significant impact. And in a lot of ways, they're not trying to improve overnight. This explains why the majority of the players picked for the program are very young, and why they've focused their funds on a couple junior teams. I think it does have a decent chance of making a long term impact on the country's status in terms of medal contention.

I certainly agree that the way they're choosing the world reps is a mistake and would agree there are other issues with the program in terms of picking players, picking teams, etc. but I find it hard to believe there's a better way to make use of limited funds in order to achieve international success. I think the people who say you simply have to expand the pool of players are not dealing with the reality of the situation.

03-18-15 08:46PM
rtcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rtcurl Click here to Send rtcurl a Private Message Find more posts by rtcurl Add rtcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rtcurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

This thread started on how they the USA girls would do, so I see easily see 5-6 as they are leading DEN now, with NOR to follow. A good showing for an inexperienced team, and many promising signs. I predicted less.

Lots of vitriol on the HPP Thread, won't go there.

I'll only offer one thought, we have an OTC in Blaine, MN where curlers can play all year on great ice, so what is the harm if the HPP says, hey you want to be an Olympic curler, then we will fund you but you have to move to Minneapolis? I don't see that as a hardship for an athletic and attractive 23-24 year girl out of Juniors. Get some $$$ from HPP, get a job on the side, and curl, curl, curl, train, train, train because you love it.

A hard sell in the current USA job market if you love curling as a kid?

03-18-15 09:18PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

But what about the unattractive girls rtcurl? Can they also find success in Minneapolis? For every Mary Tyler Moore, there is the plain and drab Rhoda, who by gosh just might make it after all.

03-19-15 09:00AM
peglegg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peglegg Find more posts by peglegg Add peglegg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peglegg
Hitting Paint

Thumbs up

That might be the best CZ post ever. ^^^^

03-19-15 09:02AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by rtcurl
This thread started on how they the USA girls would do, so I see easily see 5-6 as they are leading DEN now, with NOR to follow. A good showing for an inexperienced team, and many promising signs. I predicted less.

Lots of vitriol on the HPP Thread, won't go there.

I'll only offer one thought, we have an OTC in Blaine, MN where curlers can play all year on great ice, so what is the harm if the HPP says, hey you want to be an Olympic curler, then we will fund you but you have to move to Minneapolis? I don't see that as a hardship for an athletic and attractive 23-24 year girl out of Juniors. Get some $$$ from HPP, get a job on the side, and curl, curl, curl, train, train, train because you love it.

A hard sell in the current USA job market if you love curling as a kid?

you under estimated the danes and the will of a norwegian team who didnt want to go home winless

03-19-15 09:38AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

So....3-8....with an 0-5 against playoff caliber teams.

If anyone over at the HPP Directorate is marking this as anything other than a big red F in their gradebook, they're drunk or high, or maybe both.

The Curlers gave it their best, they represented the nation. They could, almost certainly, have been better prepared, but they aren't responsible for the program.

The PROGRAM is failing our athletes.

Change the PROGRAM.

Help the team's own coaches get better, don't force new coaches on them at the last minute before Worlds.

Help the team get better, don't force a new "World Class Skip" on their team as the 5th after Nationals.

Help USA Curling improve in the USA, don't spend 80% of the budget sending 2-3 teams willy nilly around the world (where "World" is defined as Canada...)...spend 80% of the budget making it easier for 20-30 US Teams to get exposed to high quality ice and competition in the USA.

And above all else, stop trying to game the team selection rules to make it more likely your pet teams will become Team USA...train your HPP athletes, help them compete, make them bigger, faster, stronger, smarter...and then subject them to the Crucible of actual National Championship Competition.

Yes, sometimes that Crucible will melt down a preferred team...guess what? If US Nationals can...Worlds definetely would have...we're better off knowing that early.

In short, the failure here is simple....a 3-8 record was preordained the moment we abandoned our National Champions and sent the B team on the strength of a pair of bonspiels in November.