Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-01-13 08:04PM
mstefanik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mstefanik Find more posts by mstefanik Add mstefanik to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mstefanik
Knee-Slider

GNCC Mens Club Playdown

There are nine mens teams registered for club playdowns. Here are the teams.

Peter Bialek, Adam Jacobson, Dan Naylor, Daniel Cho (Broomstones Curling Club)
David Bykowski, Brian Dauernheim, Jeremy Vandenhouten, Vincent Serritella (Potomac Curling Club)
Christopher Faircloth, George Shirk, Calvin Weber, Michael Fry
(Potomac Curling Club)
Brian Galebach, Hunter Clawson, Caleb Clawson, Eric Clawson
(Potomac Curling Club)
Chris Lindstrom, Robert Williams, Christopher Lee, Mike Hahn
(Rochester Curling Club)
Ivaylo Petrov, Mark Mooney, John DeJong, Don Arsenault
(Plainfield Curling Club)
Mark Robinson, Brian Stuart, Steve Buffington, Mark Evans
(Pittsburgh Curling Club)
Melvin Shaw,Pete Morelewicz, Stephen Enochson, Joseph Rockenbach
(Potomac Curling Club)
Michael Stefanik, Brian Damon, Dion Warr, Charles Brown
(Schenectady Curling Club)

Potomac is hosting the event and will be webcasting the games.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-02-13 08:47AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I thought Galebach had left curling.

It sure would be easy to cheer for Ivo/Mooney/DeJong/Arsenault...but that little two-sheeter has enough championships. Where do they keep all the trophies? Did they pawn them to make room for a third sheet and use the money to fix the bathroom?

Schenectady wins this. Stephanik to Nationals. I'm cheering for Shaw because his name is easiest to type.

Any word on Women's?

Tuck

12-02-13 09:02AM
melvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for melvin Click here to Send melvin a Private Message Find more posts by melvin Add melvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
melvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

The Women's side in the GNCC has not been able to muster much participation in recent years. As I understand it, one team registered. This would not be the first signup-and-go for the GNCC, but hopefully, they at least go this time.

This team is skipped by Ann Drummie, who if I recall, threw lead rocks at nat'ls for Gabrielle Coleman a few years back.

12-02-13 09:26AM
melvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for melvin Click here to Send melvin a Private Message Find more posts by melvin Add melvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
melvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

As for Galebach leaving curling, one might think that given that he is never seen for league play. However, I understand he has paid dues, and the USCA rules on the topic are quite vague, so there it is.

And that's all I will say on the subject.

12-02-13 10:01AM
WarrMachine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WarrMachine Click here to Send WarrMachine a Private Message Find more posts by WarrMachine Add WarrMachine to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WarrMachine
Harvey Hacksmasher

Oh no, The Curse of Tuck!

12-02-13 10:29AM
mstefanik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mstefanik Find more posts by mstefanik Add mstefanik to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mstefanik
Knee-Slider

melvin is correct that one team registered for womens and they did confirm that they are going. So the GNCC will have representation at nationals which is always good.

12-02-13 01:32PM
MiniMark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MiniMark Click here to Send MiniMark a Private Message Find more posts by MiniMark Add MiniMark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MiniMark
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by melvin
As for Galebach leaving curling, one might think that given that he is never seen for league play. However, I understand he has paid dues, and the USCA rules on the topic are quite vague, so there it is.

And that's all I will say on the subject.

The rules are not vague on the subject, they just shift the responsibility on to the region.

"...all team members must be dues-paying, league-playing members of the same USCA club. The USCA has not adopted a strict definition for a league-playing member of a club. Each region (or state) should determine who is acting in good faith in claiming to be a league-playing club member and each qualifying entrant must comply with his or her regions ruling."

Really, the CLUB should be responsible, in my opinion. Doesn't much matter though- if he's not playing regularly, he's not winning the GNCC.

12-02-13 01:50PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Drummie is a good player and will do fine at Club Nationals. Good to see somebody going...yet disappointing that Potomac didn't come up with a team since they are hosting Regionals. I realize that a week for Nationals is a commitment, but you'd think some of Juniors or somebody would sign up.

I'm normally way cool with somebody paying dues and playing down. Clubs, however, is a special thing. Whatever the Potomac board wants to define as a league player is cool with me. Its their club...not mine. Galebach on the Sub list or as a fifth man...I don't care.

Galebach on home ice might give Ivo and Nik fits. (Michael Stefanik is way too tough to type...so that rink is now Nik...good thing Ivo is a rock star with one simple name or we'd have to type out Ivaylo Petrov) My typing skills are BEGGING Shaw to win.

Do not sleep on Faircloth. The name is type-able and he has Calvin Weber at second. Weber is one of the best front end players in the nation. Teamed with Fry at lead, they should have the best front end in the field and, perhaps, the Club nation. I realize that Nik has Damon and Brown...who have both skipped in this event with success...but Weber and Fry also bring some strong brooms into the equation. (Eastern curlers last saw Weber lighting it up pretty good at Nationals in Philly when he was third for Blake Morton...good player)

Ben Tucker
East Coast Curling Expert

12-02-13 02:06PM
WarrMachine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WarrMachine Click here to Send WarrMachine a Private Message Find more posts by WarrMachine Add WarrMachine to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WarrMachine
Harvey Hacksmasher

Tuck, I believe Drummie is a Potomac team. Melvin, correct me if I'm wrong.

12-02-13 02:35PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

The USCA needs to put down ONE set of standards for clubs. If you paid dues and PARTICIPATED as a REGULAR in a league at that club for the previous year, you qualify. Eight week minimum. No subs or dues paying only. This eliminates creating teams from various clubs.

The Club President signs off on the teams members as dues paying league members.

The Five and Under requires this verification, can't the USCA for a National Event?

12-02-13 04:26PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Galebach is curling, just not in any organized evening leagues...I'm told he is a regular at Potomac's "Matinee League", which has the title as a "league", although no standings (ladder matches are played, though)...enough of a qualifier? Not my place to say.

Drummie is from Potomac. Unsure who the rest of her team is.

As I will be timing/officiating at it, I'm not going to make any predictions, other than good curling.

12-02-13 04:39PM
courtneyshaw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for courtneyshaw Click here to Send courtneyshaw a Private Message Find more posts by courtneyshaw Add courtneyshaw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
courtneyshaw
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yes, Ann Drummie is from Potomac. She is playing with 3 very eager, up and coming 5 and under curlers (Paige Roberts, Stacy Slette, and Catherine Coslick).

Regarding the qualification for Clubs, this issue was discussed by the PCC board and they determined that participation in our matinee "program" constituted league participation. I'm not saying that I agree, but I have definitely heard of more egregious offenses to the rule. I would say that the USCA should consider coming up with something more concrete. This issues isn't going to go away.

12-02-13 04:51PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I thought Ann was out of Broomstones in Boston. My bad. This being an East Coast Curling Expert while I sit in North Dakota is exhausting.

BG shoots Farmers' League? (that is what old curlers call afternoon pick-up games...unless it's women, then it is Coffee League) Good enough for me and, I would hope, good enough for the Potomac board. While I would absolutely LOVE to tell the PCC board how to do their jobs, I have better things to do. The wife has me painting the basement walls and I'm trying to sneak up to Winnipeg and watch some of the Canadian Olympic Trials with ThirdNerd.

As for firm rules coming from the USCA...I can't go there. How about Club entries from Williston, ND? They are just getting their ice in. I doubt any ND club has had ice for 8 weeks. I don't see any justification for the national organization to dictate to clubs what constitutes a member. If some club or team does something totally crappy, just publicly embarrass them.

I realize that the GNCC (and the 5 year and under crowd in particular) are far more attuned to the letter of the rules and long rulebooks. This old prairie guy just can't swing my mind that way.

Ben Tucker
Expert? Maybe not

12-02-13 04:56PM
WarrMachine
Harvey Hacksmasher

Good for Ann and her threesome of 5 and unders. We almost had a 5 and under team willing to sign up. Maybe next year. It would have been great experience.

Regarding Galebach, regularly scheduled curling during the day, sounds like a league to me, especially if it's got a name

12-02-13 05:14PM
courtneyshaw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for courtneyshaw Click here to Send courtneyshaw a Private Message Find more posts by courtneyshaw Add courtneyshaw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
courtneyshaw
Harvey Hacksmasher

Tuck, will you be bringing your East Coast curling expertise to Grafton for the Women's Challenge Round? or at least a truck that can pull my rental car out of a ditch if there is 3 feet of snow.

12-02-13 05:21PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

Don't forget to have Tuck show you the basement of Bob Labonte's bar, Courtney. He claims there's some nice trophies down there, but when he tried to show me he couldn't find them. For all I know he was pulling my leg....wouldn't be the first time.

-SM
Angry Bird and ex-PCC'er

12-02-13 05:38PM
markrob420 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for markrob420 Click here to Send markrob420 a Private Message Find more posts by markrob420 Add markrob420 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markrob420
Knee-Slider

Good to see this thread started up. I'm looking forward to getting back to playing at a more competitive level! I truly miss playing a more strategic game and meeting some great new people.

I spend most of my time on pickup teams playing at fun spiels but working with a great bunch of guys to hopefully head back to arena nats again next year. We had a solid run there this year.

I only know bykowski and shaw but am unfamiliar with everyone else so maybe I'm scouting a little bit here too

Mark Robinson

12-02-13 06:21PM
TakeItOut! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TakeItOut! Click here to Send TakeItOut! a Private Message Visit TakeItOut!'s homepage! Find more posts by TakeItOut! Add TakeItOut! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TakeItOut!
Hitting Paint

Obligatory mention

Lindstrom and Williams will probably hate me for saying this, but don't sleep on the Rochester guys. They'd probably rather stay under the radar. Lindstrom and Williams played 2nd and vice for me at last year's clubs. It wouldn't be the first time that players I've played with have gone on to better things once they dropped the dead weight

They've had some success already this season up in Canada playing in the one day spiels. They also played in CT early in the season and had some success while they and everyone else were working on their games.

The Chris Lee on the team is NOT the shamed NYS politician. As far as I know he will keep his shirt on.

Mike Hahn's the lead for the reigning Addison Hastings' bowl holders (biggest margin of victory in the Gordon International). He knows no mercy

I've always found the Potomac ice similar to Rochester. They should feel pretty comfortable right from the start.

Go RCC!

12-02-13 07:24PM
CurlingBrain is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingBrain Click here to Send CurlingBrain a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingBrain Add CurlingBrain to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingBrain
Knee-Slider

Melvin, et al,

If you think I'd register for this event without checking to make 100% sure that I'm in compliance with the rules, you're sorely mistaken. I'm so used to certain people at our club accusing me of everything under the sun that there was no way I wasn't verifying every aspect of the membership category I signed up for, what leagues and programs I was playing in, etc. (I've recently discovered that certain people were falsely telling board members that I was sneaking into the club to practice for free last season.)

The first (and only) reply I ever got from anyone on the board when I asked whether curling in the Daytime League, Matinee League, etc. was sufficient was that he felt they were not structured enough to qualify. (Since our club inexplicably now locks out any league registrations following a date before curling even starts, I was limited to Daytime, Matinee, and Breakfast Extravaganza. Actually, I couldn't even get an answer from the board as to what leagues/programs I can curl in with my membership category. I didn't get an answer when I asked the same question last year either.)

So I immediately contacted the GNCC representative in charge of competitive events, and I explained the nature of these leagues/programs. I told him that a board member at our club had told me that those wouldn't qualify me as a league-playing member. His immediate response was "Why in the world would they say that??" In short, he verified that playing regularly in any kind of league or program, no matter how ad hoc, is sufficient.

If anyone has any issues with my compliance to the rules, I would encourage them to speak with the GNCC representatives in charge. I'm not putting up with any more badmouthing on this. I've done everything in my power to make sure that I am in full compliance, and that's all I can do. Now let's curl and see what happens. Okay?

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited by CurlingBrain on 12-02-13 at 08:06PM

12-02-13 11:03PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Dang, you Easties sure have a love for your Clubs AND the internet.

Allow me to correct Sean "Angry Bird" Murray: The bar is owned by John Aasand who shot second for the Bob LaBonte rink that kicked the rock. In the dingy basement of his otherwise very nice bar just a block from the curling club, there is the large silver platter that they got for finishing second at Worlds.

Courtney, I will be around for the Women's Challenge Round. I always carry a chain in my pickup which has 4 wheel drive. If you really bury the rental, my farm is not far away and has large tractors and many ropes.

Mark and the Pittsburgh boys: You are about to go swimming with sharks. Get your practice rocks in and clean up those releases. Don't worry about adjusting to the Potomac ice. You adjusted just fine at Arenas. Clean up those releases. Hang out with the Plainfield guys. Mooney and Arsenault are extremely nice and Ivo will regale you with tales from last year's World Seniors. Ivo will buy a round if you talk about the European Championships.

Brian, I kinda sorry if I stirred up anything...but mostly I'm glad that it all got cleared up right here and right now. You took the right steps and everybody can now just focus on the curling.

Apologies to Team Nik for The Curse. I call 'em like I see 'em. Watch out for Faircloth.

Ben Tucker
Boldly predicting that Ann Drummie wins the Women's GNCC Clubs

12-03-13 12:15AM
melvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by SPMFromPCC
Don't forget to have Tuck show you the basement of Bob Labonte's bar, Courtney. He claims there's some nice trophies down there, but when he tried to show me he couldn't find them. For all I know he was pulling my leg....wouldn't be the first time.

-SM
Angry Bird and ex-PCC'er

so you're telling me I shouldn't be concerned if I hear that Tuck was trying to convince my wife to check out the basement of some bar with him?

sounds like the oldest trick in the book....

12-03-13 12:23PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Seems to me that Mr. Galebach is a dues paying member who curls weekly at the club and meets the qualifications. Not all leagues crown champions, hand out pins and patches and trophies.

That certainly could be signed off by a club officer if the USCA gave them the guidelines to qualify.

12-03-13 01:44PM
Frykenstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frykenstein Click here to Send Frykenstein a Private Message Find more posts by Frykenstein Add Frykenstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frykenstein
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Weber is one of the best front end players in the nation. Teamed with Fry at lead, they should have the best front end in the field and, perhaps, the Club nation.

For that to be true, Calvin had better be phenomenal. Otherwise, good sir, you are this week's idiot. Generous, but still an idiot.

Lovingly,
mf

12-03-13 03:25PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

A very old and very dirty joke for the Shaws:

A North Dakota farm boy pulls over to help a gal that is stuck in a snowy ditch. The farm boy is hitching up the chain and says, "Your the fourth gal I've pulled out the ditch this week. Oddly, every one was pregnant." Curler gal replies, "Why, sir! I'm not pregnant!" Farm boy smiles and says, "Yeah, but you're not out of the ditch yet."

For my recent teammate Fry:

Calvin Weber can be considered one the top curlers in the nation by almost any standard. Maybe not Top 10, but he gives up very little to even the very best. Junior silver, Junior bronze and two Men's National appearances...and he is (what?) 24 years old? All of that at third. The boy can play...REALLY play. Did a stint at lead for Eric Fenson last year.

And Fry ain't bad either. Don't sleep on Faircloth.

Ben Tucker

12-10-13 09:18AM
mstefanik
Knee-Slider

There will be webstreaming of playdowns this week. The draw times are:

Thursday 2PM EST
Thuesday 7PM
Friday 9AM, 2PM, 7PM
Saturday 9AM, 2PM, 7PM
Sunday 9AM

Tie Breakers if needed
Sunday 2PM, 7PM

The website for Potomac Curling Club and webstreaming is www.curldc.org