Like CurlingZone on Facebook
 
 
   
Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
Runback - Custom Curling Wear
Subscribe to The Curling News today!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ott-am
Swing Artist

Registered: Jan 2005
Location:
Posts: 217

Curling books

I was checking my inventory of curling books and came up with the following 34:

1. History of Curling, John Kerr
2. Analysis of the Art of Curling, H.E. Weyman
3. Ken Watson on Curling, Watson
4. Ernie Richardson’s Curling…, Mark Mulvoy and Ernie Richardson
5. Hack to House, Paul Savage
6. Burned by the Rock, Jean Sonmor
7. The Curling Book, Lukowich, Folk, Gowsell
8. Curling to Win, Lukowich
9. The First Fifty (of the Brier), Doug Maxwell
10. Power Curling, Lukowich
11. The Joy of Curling, Lukowich, Ramsfjell, Somerville
12. The Black Book of Curling, 2005/06, Curlingzone (Guerts)
13. The Black Book of Curling, 2006/07, Curlingzone (Guerts)
14. The Black Book of Curling, 2007/08, Curlingzone (Guerts)
15. The Black Bonspiel…, WO Mitchell
16. The Curling Companion, WH Murray
17. The Stone Age, Vera Pezer
18. Smart Curling, Pezer
19. Curling for Dummies, Bob Weeks
20. Weird Facts About Curling, Lansdell
21. Curling Etc., Weeks
22. Curling Secrets, Colleen Jones
23. Sandra Schmirler, Perry Lefko
24. Open House, Scott Russell
25. Hurry Hard, Russ Howard/Weeks
26. The Ferbey Four, Terry Jones
27. Curl to Win, Russ Howard
28. Tales of a Curling Hack, Maxwell
29. Between the Sheets, Guy Scholtz/Cheryl Bernard
30. Fit to Curl, John Morris/Dean Gemmell
31. Kings of the Rings, Sean Grassie
32. Say it Again Sam, Arnie Tiefenbach
33. The Brier, Bob Weeks
34. The Roaring Game, Doug Clarke

I believe there are a few curling books I don't have, so if anybody can let me know a few more titles (and perhaps where I mind find a copy), that would be great.

Thanks

__________________
Art M

Last edited by ott-am on 06-13-13 at 11:36AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-12-13 11:03PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Arkham House
Posts: 7510

Thats a nice collection Art. When you come to Wpg for the trials I'll lead you to a few others - including secondary books by Ken Watson and a unique 1961 tome authored by Joyce McKee.

Obviously Watson's 1949 classic is my favourite (Ken Watson on Curling) but I really liked Doug Maxwell's book on Curlings First 50 Years.

No one, to my knowledge has written a "Ball Four" type of book on curling - a revelation of the inside workings like Jim Bouton did for baseball.

No one has written a book of great curling short stories. I wish I had the time - some of the great stories I've been around:

1. The heavily public Firing of Cathy O by the lawyer, Jennifer Jones.

2. How I Blew Up my First Brier - by Alan Hackner

3. How I let a guy with Walking Pneumonia Stomp Me in the Brier - by Terry Braunstein

4. How the Great Merv Mann never got to the Brier - by Merv Mann

5. How the Great Bob Pickering Never WON a Brier - by Pee Wee

6. Radio Paul Gowsell - by Manitoba Legend

7. Hunt for Justice: The Michael McEwen Story

8. Rocking the Stack; Curling's Dirty Little Secrets by Randy Dutiaume

9. Of Fawns, Mopes, Dopes & Wolves - How a Legend Views Curling

10. A Stones Throw - Vic Rauter

11. One Big Happy Family - Don Duguid, Rod Hunter, Jim Pettapiece, Bryan Wood

12. Turtle-Man: The Don Chevrier Story

13. Muttering Zen: The Gospel According to Kevin Martin

14. Runner-Up: Gary Ross and his 30 year pursuit of a Manitoba Title

15. The Run by Randy Dutiaume

16. Manitoba's Most Embarrassing Briers: Bobby Robinson, Hersh Lerner, Burke Parker, Danny Fink

17. The 30 Point Game - How Bob Picken Lost the 1963 Manitoba Consols to Hersh Lerner

18. ROY: Manitoba's Forgotten Man of the Fifties

19. The Drinking Man: Orest Meleschuk's Epic Battle with Vera Pezer

20. The Wolves of Winter: Rachel Homan's Emergence into Womens Curling

21. Chuck & The Lackey Brothers: My Favourite Southern Saskatchewan Curling Characters

22. The Moose is Loose: How I Trained a few World Champs but Couldn't Win One Myself by Ray Turnbull

23. Pre-Gushue: The Era of Jack McDuff

__________________
I AM THE CAPTAIN NOW!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-13-13 03:34AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Harvey Hacksmasher

Registered: Mar 2013
Location:
Posts: 89

Book Titles

Too Much Time On My Hands, By Manitoba Legend

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-13-13 06:39AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

Registered: Jan 2005
Location:
Posts: 217

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
[B]Thats a nice collection Art. When you come to Wpg for the trials I'll lead you to a few others - including secondary books by Ken Watson and a unique 1961 tome authored by Joyce McKee.

Obviously Watson's 1949 classic is my favourite (Ken Watson on Curling) but I really liked Doug Maxwell's book on Curlings First 50 Years.

No one, to my knowledge has written a "Ball Four" type of book on curling - a revelation of the inside workings like Jim Bouton did for baseball.

I know Doug Maxwell had another book I don't have - Canada Curls. There were some good stories in Weeks book, the Brier and also, in Burned by the Rock. I had thought an Alberta lady curler in the 60's/70's had written something close to a "tell-all" book, but cannot find it. I thought it was someone like Gail Lee. Perhaps someone remembers that one.

Legend, that would be great if you can show me the other Watson books in Winnipeg. Any chance of you finding me a box at the MTS, too?

__________________
Art M

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-13-13 07:31AM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Registered: Jan 2011
Location:
Posts: 1023

Here our a few of mine- I only buy older books.
1. Curling Past and Present by W.A. Creelmand, 1950 that includes Weymans Analysis of curling.
2.Mr Besom- Starts Curling by Fritz Talbot, 1936, Mass. USA
3. And a special one- The Channel-Stane (aka sweeping frae the rinks) BY Richard Cameron 1884 Edinburgh- one of only 125 printed. 3rd of a series. Wish I could find the others in the series.

I get mine from ABEbooks, Ebay, sometimes Amazon. - also in old book stores.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-13-13 11:05AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Arkham House
Posts: 7510

quote:
Originally posted by ott-am
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
[B]Thats a nice collection Art. When you come to Wpg for the trials I'll lead you to a few others - including secondary books by Ken Watson and a unique 1961 tome authored by Joyce McKee.

Obviously Watson's 1949 classic is my favourite (Ken Watson on Curling) but I really liked Doug Maxwell's book on Curlings First 50 Years.

No one, to my knowledge has written a "Ball Four" type of book on curling - a revelation of the inside workings like Jim Bouton did for baseball.

I know Doug Maxwell had another book I don't have - Canada Curls. There were some good stories in Weeks book, the Brier and also, in Burned by the Rock. I had thought an Alberta lady curler in the 60's/70's had written something close to a "tell-all" book, but cannot find it. I thought it was someone like Gail Lee. Perhaps someone remembers that one.

Legend, that would be great if you can show me the other Watson books in Winnipeg. Any chance of you finding me a box at the MTS, too?



Art, the only box I'll have at the MTS Centre is a box of popcorn.
What is the official allotment of seats for teams and their families?

__________________
I AM THE CAPTAIN NOW!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-13-13 02:09PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

Registered: Jan 2005
Location:
Posts: 217

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend


Art, the only box I'll have at the MTS Centre is a box of popcorn.
What is the official allotment of seats for teams and their families?



I think the players get tickets, but as for family members, we buy our tickets like everybody else. I just thought you might have some connections in Winnipeg.

__________________
Art M

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-13-13 04:29PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

Registered: Jan 2005
Location:
Posts: 217

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Here our a few of mine- I only buy older books.
1. Curling Past and Present by W.A. Creelmand, 1950 that includes Weymans Analysis of curling.
2.Mr Besom- Starts Curling by Fritz Talbot, 1936, Mass. USA
3. And a special one- The Channel-Stane (aka sweeping frae the rinks) BY Richard Cameron 1884 Edinburgh- one of only 125 printed. 3rd of a series. Wish I could find the others in the series.

I get mine from ABEbooks, Ebay, sometimes Amazon. - also in old book stores.



Wow, those are pretty interesting. I will have to watch out on the sites when those are for sale.

__________________
Art M

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-13-13 04:31PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hoglinewamphray
Harvey Hacksmasher

Registered: Dec 2006
Location:
Posts: 19

More books

Hi Art

Probably the most significant title missing from your library is:
Curling: An Illustrated History by David B Smith (1981) - the most useful reference - still - to the history of our sport.

Others you could hunt for, not already mentioned (I think), include

Account of the Game of Curling by Rev John Ramsay (1811)
A Descriptive and Historical Sketch of Curling (1828), reprinted in 1883 as The Kilmarnock Treatise on Curling
Memorabilia Curliana Mabenensia by Richard Broun (1830)
Essay on Curling and Artificial Pond Making by John Cairnie (1833)
Curling, The Ancient Scottish Game by James Taylor (1884)
Curlers Sermons Preached Before the Grand National Curling Club by Rev SB Rossiter (1898)
Curling in Canada and the United States by Rev John Kerr (1904)
Curling, The Art of the Game by Josh Bowie (1904)
The Shilling Curler by Bertram Smith (1912)
The Complete Curler by J Gordon Grant (1914)
The Scottish Curlers in Canada and the USA by Major MH Marshall (1924)
Curling in Switzerland: A Treatise on the Principles of the game and Where and How to Play It by A Noel Mobbs and F McDermott (1929)
How to Curl by Edward R Boase (1934)
Curling in Ontario 1846-1946 by John Stevenson (1950)
Curling by Ernie Richardson, Joyce McKee and Doug Maxwell (1963)
A Beginner's Guide to Curling by Robin Welsh (1969)
Curling Handbook for Curlers, Teachers and Coaches by Roy Thiessen (1977)
Das Grosse Buch vom Curling by Henry Eggenberger 1977
Curling, Weltmeistershaft 1979
Curling 1880-1980 Herausgegeben vom Schweizerischen Sportsmuseum (1980)
Curling Comedy by Bruce Lobay (1984)
Curling and the Silver Broom by Bob Cowan (1985)
International Guide to Curling by Robin Welsh (1985)
Curling-Vademecum by Erwin Sautter (1993)
Hey! Is That Guy Dead Or Is He The Skip… by William Thomas (1994)
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Curling by Rod Bolton and Ann Douglas (1998)
He Sweeps, He Scores by Jean Cutler Blackie (1998)
Curling Basics by Roy Sinclair (Ed) (1998)
Curling Tactics by Hammy McMillan (1999)
Curling: The History, The Players, The Game by Warren Hansen 1999
Men with Brooms by Diane Baker Mason (2002) (The book of the film)
Abby and the Curling Chicks by Jean Mills (2003)
Curling by Uli Kapp (2006)
For the Love of Curling by Annalise Bekkering (2007)
The Adventures of Trefor the Curling Rock by Kim Perkins (2007)
Fae Hack Tae Tee An' Mair (poems) by Helen Hamilton (2011)
Pride, Prejudice and Curling Rocks by Andrea Marie Brokaw (2011)
101 Curling Excuses by David Feldstein and Frank McCourt (2011)
Minutes of Note by Lynne Longmore (2012)

Note that some of the very oldest books have recently become available as pdf files online or on CD or even in printed form. If you are an enthusiastic bibliophile like me you will look for different versions of the same book. For example there are large and normal formats of Kerr's History of Curling. No 7 on your list was published as the Skol Book of Curling in the UK, and indeed was translated into a number of languages, including Japanese. Bill Murray's book The Curling Companion was published by Richard Drew in the UK, and by Collins in Canada. There are two versions (before and after the Olympics) of Between the Sheets by Guy Scholtz and Cheryl Bernard.

You could also add to your library shelves lots of books of recipes, curling club histories, Royal Club and other Annuals, photo books, technical and coaching manuals, winter sports' books with specific chapters on curling, event programmes, magazines and other periodicals, and all sorts of smaller 'paper ephemera'.

Search via Abe Books, Amazon, or eBay. Good hunting.

Bob

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-14-13 09:14AM
hoglinewamphray is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hoglinewamphray Click here to Send hoglinewamphray a Private Message Find more posts by hoglinewamphray Add hoglinewamphray to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered
Guest

Registered: Not Yet
Location:
Posts: N/A

Re: Curling books

quote:
Originally posted by ott-am
I was checking my inventory of curling books and came up with the following 34:

1. History of Curling, John Kerr
2. Analysis of the Art of Curling, H.E. Weyman
3. Ken Watson on Curling, Watson
4. Ernie Richardson’s Curling…, Mark Mulvoy and Ernie Richardson
5. Hack to House, Paul Savage
6. Burned by the Rock, Jean Sonmor
7. The Curling Book, Lukowich, Folk, Gowsell
8. Curling to Win, Lukowich
9. The First Fifty (of the Brier), Doug Maxwell
10. Power Curling, Lukowich
11. The Joy of Curling, Lukowich, Ramsfjell, Somerville
12. The Black Book of Curling, 2005/06, Curlingzone (Guerts)
13. The Black Book of Curling, 2006/07, Curlingzone (Guerts)
14. The Black Book of Curling, 2007/08, Curlingzone (Guerts)
15. The Black Bonspiel…, WO Mitchell
16. The Curling Companion, WH Murray
17. The Stone Age, Vera Pezer
18. Smart Curling, Pezer
19. Curling for Dummies, Bob Weeks
20. Weird Facts About Curling, Lansdell
21. Curling Etc., Weeks
22. Curling Secrets, Colleen Jones
23. Sandra Schmirler, Perry Lefko
24. Open House, Scott Russell
25. Hurry Hard, Russ Howard/Weeks
26. The Ferbey Four, Terry Jones
27. Curl to Win, Russ Howard
28. Tales of a Curling Hack, Maxwell
29. Between the Sheets, Guy Scholtz/Cheryl Bernard
30. Fit to Curl, John Morris/Dean Gemmell
31. Kings of the Rings, Sean Grassie
32. Say it Again Sam, Arnie Tiefenbach
33. The Brier, Bob Weeks
34. The Roaring Game, Doug Clarke

I believe there are a few curling books I don't have, so if anybody can let me know a few more titles (and perhaps where I mind find a copy), that would be great.

Thanks



Here's a few more that I also have ...
* Complete Idiots Guide to Curling, Rod Bolton & Ann Douglas
* International Guide to Curling, Robin Welsh
* Beginner's Guide to Curling, Robin Welsh
* The Complete Curler, J.Gordon Grant
* A Social Draw, Paul Manziuk
* Hey! Is That Guy Dead Or Is He the Skip... , William Thomas
* Curling-Vademecum, Erwin A Sautter
* Canada Curls, Doug Maxwell
* Golden Gushue, Alex J Walling
* Curling: The History, The Players, The Game , Warren Hansen
* Curling, Ernie Richardson, Joyce McKee & Doug Maxwell
* Men With Brooms - A Sweeping Epic, Diane Baker Mason

Plus there are the curling magazines ...
* The Curler
* The Curling News
* SWEEP! Curling's Magazine

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.151.63.224

Old Post 06-14-13 10:59AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Arkham House
Posts: 7510

There's also one noted play about curlng -

The Black Bonspiel of Wullie MaCrimmon

written by W.O. Mitchell

a great canadian novelist, born in Weyburn, Saskatchewan!

__________________
I AM THE CAPTAIN NOW!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-14-13 04:38PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

Registered: Jan 2005
Location:
Posts: 217

Re: More books

quote:
Originally posted by hoglinewamphray
Hi Art

Probably the most significant title missing from your library is:
Curling: An Illustrated History by David B Smith (1981) - the most useful reference - still - to the history of our sport.

Others you could hunt for, not already mentioned (I think), include

Account of the Game of Curling by Rev John Ramsay (1811)
A Descriptive and Historical Sketch of Curling (1828), reprinted in 1883 as The Kilmarnock Treatise on Curling
Memorabilia Curliana Mabenensia by Richard Broun (1830)
Essay on Curling and Artificial Pond Making by John Cairnie (1833)
Curling, The Ancient Scottish Game by James Taylor (1884)
Curlers Sermons Preached Before the Grand National Curling Club by Rev SB Rossiter (1898)
Curling in Canada and the United States by Rev John Kerr (1904)
Curling, The Art of the Game by Josh Bowie (1904)
The Shilling Curler by Bertram Smith (1912)
The Complete Curler by J Gordon Grant (1914)
The Scottish Curlers in Canada and the USA by Major MH Marshall (1924)
Curling in Switzerland: A Treatise on the Principles of the game and Where and How to Play It by A Noel Mobbs and F McDermott (1929)
How to Curl by Edward R Boase (1934)
Curling in Ontario 1846-1946 by John Stevenson (1950)
Curling by Ernie Richardson, Joyce McKee and Doug Maxwell (1963)
A Beginner's Guide to Curling by Robin Welsh (1969)
Curling Handbook for Curlers, Teachers and Coaches by Roy Thiessen (1977)
Das Grosse Buch vom Curling by Henry Eggenberger 1977
Curling, Weltmeistershaft 1979
Curling 1880-1980 Herausgegeben vom Schweizerischen Sportsmuseum (1980)
Curling Comedy by Bruce Lobay (1984)
Curling and the Silver Broom by Bob Cowan (1985)
International Guide to Curling by Robin Welsh (1985)
Curling-Vademecum by Erwin Sautter (1993)
Hey! Is That Guy Dead Or Is He The Skip… by William Thomas (1994)
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Curling by Rod Bolton and Ann Douglas (1998)
He Sweeps, He Scores by Jean Cutler Blackie (1998)
Curling Basics by Roy Sinclair (Ed) (1998)
Curling Tactics by Hammy McMillan (1999)
Curling: The History, The Players, The Game by Warren Hansen 1999
Men with Brooms by Diane Baker Mason (2002) (The book of the film)
Abby and the Curling Chicks by Jean Mills (2003)
Curling by Uli Kapp (2006)
For the Love of Curling by Annalise Bekkering (2007)
The Adventures of Trefor the Curling Rock by Kim Perkins (2007)
Fae Hack Tae Tee An' Mair (poems) by Helen Hamilton (2011)
Pride, Prejudice and Curling Rocks by Andrea Marie Brokaw (2011)
101 Curling Excuses by David Feldstein and Frank McCourt (2011)
Minutes of Note by Lynne Longmore (2012)

Note that some of the very oldest books have recently become available as pdf files online or on CD or even in printed form. If you are an enthusiastic bibliophile like me you will look for different versions of the same book. For example there are large and normal formats of Kerr's History of Curling. No 7 on your list was published as the Skol Book of Curling in the UK, and indeed was translated into a number of languages, including Japanese. Bill Murray's book The Curling Companion was published by Richard Drew in the UK, and by Collins in Canada. There are two versions (before and after the Olympics) of Between the Sheets by Guy Scholtz and Cheryl Bernard.

You could also add to your library shelves lots of books of recipes, curling club histories, Royal Club and other Annuals, photo books, technical and coaching manuals, winter sports' books with specific chapters on curling, event programmes, magazines and other periodicals, and all sorts of smaller 'paper ephemera'.

Search via Abe Books, Amazon, or eBay. Good hunting.

Bob



Wow, that is quite the list - I believe those are mainly Scottish or European. Great collection.

__________________
Art M

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-14-13 11:52PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

Registered: Jan 2005
Location:
Posts: 217

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
There's also one noted play about curlng -

The Black Bonspiel of Wullie MaCrimmon

written by W.O. Mitchell

a great canadian novelist, born in Weyburn, Saskatchewan!



Yes, I have that one. The classic Faust theme as I recall. Good stuff.

__________________
Art M

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-14-13 11:54PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Registered: Jan 2011
Location:
Posts: 1023

Re: More books

quote:
Originally posted by hoglinewamphray
Hi

You could also add to your library shelves lots of books of recipes, curling club histories, Royal Club and other Annuals, photo books, technical and coaching manuals, winter sports' books with specific chapters on curling, event programmes, magazines and other periodicals, and all sorts of smaller 'paper ephemera'.

Search via Abe Books, Amazon, or eBay. Good hunting.

Bob



Have you ever come across Frank Manley's Weekly- the edition that was about curling? Manley had a magazine for children that focused on different sports/activities. I know he did one for curling but Have never seen one for sale.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-15-13 12:16PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hoglinewamphray
Harvey Hacksmasher

Registered: Dec 2006
Location:
Posts: 19

Re: Re: More books

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Have you ever come across Frank Manley's Weekly- the edition that was about curling? Manley had a magazine for children that focused on different sports/activities. I know he did one for curling but Have never seen one for sale.



Yes, indeed. I wrote about it here:
http://curlinghistory.blogspot.co.u...-from-1906.html

I was fortunate to come across this. Definitely in the rare category!

Bob

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-15-13 03:44PM
hoglinewamphray is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hoglinewamphray Click here to Send hoglinewamphray a Private Message Find more posts by hoglinewamphray Add hoglinewamphray to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

Registered: Jan 2005
Location:
Posts: 217

Re: Re: Re: More books

quote:
Originally posted by hoglinewamphray


Yes, indeed. I wrote about it here:
http://curlinghistory.blogspot.co.u...-from-1906.html

I was fortunate to come across this. Definitely in the rare category!

Bob



Great stuff, Bob. I have never been to the curling Hall of Fame in Winnipeg. Are any of these old publications in there?

__________________
Art M

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-16-13 08:17AM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered
Guest

Registered: Not Yet
Location:
Posts: N/A

Burned By The Rock, authored by Jean Sonmor, is probably the closest book there is to a Jim Bouton, 'Ball Four' (and its sequel; 'I'm Glad You Didn't Take It Personally') type insiders exposé on competitive curling. The chapter on Hackner specifically, where she describes an obviously hungover Iceman, is a good reflection on the hard partying 80's-mid 90's era.

It would take a very ballsy individual to pen curlings version. Ball Four turned Bouton into a pariah and aided the end of his playing career (although he made a tidy sum with his bubble gum creation: Big League Chew). And, like Ball Four, such a book would probably end a few marriages.

But, when the public seems to have no end to their appetite for muck-raking, there's obviously an audience for such a time out there. Too bad the best title has already been used though.

Can't think of a better or more appropriate one than : The Black Book of Curling.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.241

Old Post 06-16-13 10:04AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Swing Artist

Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 462

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered


Can't think of a better or more appropriate one than : The Black Book of Curling. [/B]


Yeah, that title seems to say it all. It just sounds accurate.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-16-13 10:53AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Registered: Jan 2011
Location:
Posts: 1023

Re: Re: Re: More books

quote:
Originally posted by hoglinewamphray


Yes, indeed. I wrote about it here:
http://curlinghistory.blogspot.co.u...-from-1906.html

I was fortunate to come across this. Definitely in the rare category!

Bob



Thank you for that info. Guess I will have to keep looking!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-16-13 12:49PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hoglinewamphray
Harvey Hacksmasher

Registered: Dec 2006
Location:
Posts: 19

Another book

Art

Another book that has not been mentioned yet and is worth looking out for is 'Championship Curling 1984' by Robert Browning with Don Duguid.

Bob

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-18-13 10:13AM
hoglinewamphray is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hoglinewamphray Click here to Send hoglinewamphray a Private Message Find more posts by hoglinewamphray Add hoglinewamphray to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guest
Super Rockchucker

Registered: Feb 2005
Location: .
Posts: 1694

Re: Book Titles

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Too Much Time On My Hands, By Manitoba Legend


Now that's funny

__________________
Guest

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-18-13 01:09PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guest
Super Rockchucker

Registered: Feb 2005
Location: .
Posts: 1694

16. The Curling Companion, WH Murray

The author, WH Murray, had quite an interesting life

WH MURRAY Wiki

__________________
Guest

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-18-13 01:16PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hoglinewamphray
Harvey Hacksmasher

Registered: Dec 2006
Location:
Posts: 19

Indeed! He was a great man in so many ways. I was privileged to have the opportunity to work with him.

In 1980 I was approached by a Glasgow publisher to help one of their authors, a non-curler, who was writing a history of curling and needed advice from someone within the sport. I was sceptical, but when I heard it was WH Murray, from having read his mountaineering books, I offered my help. When I met him I found him to be a lovely man, a social historian, meticulous in his research, with a flair for writing in an engaging manner... and above all so modest about his past achievements.

Working with him was a real joy, and fun. I treasure his dedication in the preface to The Curling Companion which was published in 1981. Bill died in 1996. There's a good obituary online here:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...ay-1302787.html

All a long time ago of course, and the sport has changed massively since then. But the historical aspects of The Curling Companion still stand up to scrutiny. I still smile when I see the photo of my hand demonstrating how a loofie would be thrown!

Thank you for stimulating happy memories of the time I spent with Bill Murray.

Bob

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-18-13 03:19PM
hoglinewamphray is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hoglinewamphray Click here to Send hoglinewamphray a Private Message Find more posts by hoglinewamphray Add hoglinewamphray to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered
Guest

Registered: Not Yet
Location:
Posts: N/A

Decade: Amazon has reprints of vol. 1 from MacNair's Channel-Stanes from a copy in the University of California libraries.

Someone in my curling club lamented he has never seen a curling murder mystery story. Anyone know of any?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 98.210.211.58

Old Post 06-24-13 04:26PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Registered: Jan 2011
Location:
Posts: 1023

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Decade: Amazon has reprints of vol. 1 from MacNair's Channel-Stanes from a copy in the University of California libraries.

Someone in my curling club lamented he has never seen a curling murder mystery story. Anyone know of any?



thanks for the heads up!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-24-13 08:01PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
All times are GMT. The time now is . Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Jump:
Rate This Thread:

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON
 
Eastern Time (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

MOST RECENT CZ FORUM POSTS

Rock Talk
CCA Curling Summit ( 1 2 3 )
Manitoba Curling
3 to 10 Rankings
U.S.A. Curling
The battle for points begins
Rock Talk
Why are stopwatches allowed in curling? ( 1 2 )
World Curling Tour
Nice win by Chelsea Carey in Edmonton
World Curling Tour
Stu Sells
Gear Zone/Classifieds
Slider Type
Manitoba Curling
Looking for a player.
Rock Talk
Mary Ann Arsenault's Future
Rock Talk
Stefanie Lawton to Alternate, Anderson as Skip
Manitoba Curling
Looking for a Men's team for Winnipeg
Rock Talk
Early Betting Line on 2014-15 Canadian Women
Rock Talk
New Team Kean ( 1 2 3 )
Rock Talk
WCF Rule Change
Players/Teams Classifieds
Team based in England looking for a player
Junior Curling
age requirements for Canadian Juniors
Rock Talk
Burger King Brier?
World Curling Tour
Badan Masters
Gear Zone/Classifieds
Cool Curling Table $800
Ontario Curling
3rd Annual RCN (Navy) Colts Bonspiel
Rock Talk
Lack of Ice for Manitoba Curlers
Players/Teams Classifieds
Winnipeg men's team looking for front end player
Rock Talk
Vote for Jennifer
Curling Club Chat
Announcing the Inaugural Midas Senior Men's Classic
Rock Talk
Howards new team
Ontario Curling
Practice Ice
Players/Teams Classifieds
Looking to form or join a Men's Team in Winnipeg
Players/Teams Classifieds
Looking to form a men's club team in Winnipeg (Heather CC)
Manitoba Curling
Curl at Fort Rouge !
Rock Talk
Practice Ice_Ontario
Players/Teams Classifieds
Men's Club Team Looking for a Player - BC
BC Curling
It's warm out, but......
Rock Talk
2001 Ice King Super Scraper for Sale
Rock Talk
Colleen Jones Story
Junior Curling
Vernon Junior Cash Spiel
Rock Talk
Team Howard spoof TSN interview
U.S.A. Curling
Wct 2014-2015
U.S.A. Curling
Americas Challenge
Curling Club Chat
Spots for Ladies Teams at RCN (Navy) CC
U.S.A. Curling
Geez...summer is over already
Ontario Curling
New men's sponsor
Ice and Ice Makers
Can Warm Zamboni Tires Cause Valleys?
Players/Teams Classifieds
AB men's team looking for player
Quebec Curling
List of Bonspiels in Quebec
Gear Zone/Classifieds
Ice King Scraper For Sale
BC Curling
Vernon Cashspiel
Manitoba Curling
New developments & free agents
World Curling Tour
The Shoot-Out: New Sponsor
U.S.A. Curling
You're KIDDING ME, USCA....
Ontario Curling
Ching New Members Discount
Post New Message  |  View All Forums