Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
Runback - Custom Curling Wear
Subscribe to The Curling News today!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (20): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Canada loses to a lackluster Scotland. Go back to page one and look at my post. There is going to be some adjusting to the time change, food, ice, environment, etc by Canada. Let's see what tomorrow brings. If Canada does not dispatch Latvia in 5 or 6 ends (even if they keep playing) then I think some people should start to worry.

Yes, I am American and rooting for team USA. The game against Italy was over after 6 but they kept throwing rocks.

JH
the US just moved to the 1-2 game, I see them beating one of CAN/SCO.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-16-13 07:08PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by greenroad

All players misfired at one point or another - Eve must have cringed when asking Anna to draw. If this were tennis you could say the majority of points came off errors rather than winners.

Still, a good effort by both teams for their first competitive match in a new rink.

Muirhead never had any difficult shots ( except when she missed ). I think any good team forcing Scotland to a finesse game will cause them problems. Remains to be seen how well she will play this year. I'm not convinced she has a championship lineup behind her at all.

ps You seem particularily negative about Canada's chances. Allow me to counter this by saying despite a shaky first game I am picking them to win the event. Last year, I picked Nedohin to win the bronze medal which she did; Homan is the best team we've sent to the event in years, and this quality will surface by end of week.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-16-13 at 07:39PM

Old Post 03-16-13 07:16PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Click here to Send Nine Ender a Private Message Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

I think the trip hit her and given time Canada will be rolling no problem. Alison also underthrew two hits early suggesting she's tired. Scotland got them at the right time, but after seeing Anna Sloan today I still think she's not a strong third ( I've come to this conclusion several different years; Scotland's results have been fairly spotty given that their skip is one of the premiere throwers in the game ). Canada played about as bad as they ever play and Scotland barely hung on to their advantage. That won't be good enough later on. We'll see if they improve as well.

All the teams are adjusting to rocks/ice and Alison should have picked up on her fast rock by end 3, not end 8 or 9. Again, sounds like a tired Curler.

I have no doubt in my mind ali will get going by the game against denmark at the latest. she's a great second and this is a great team

Old Post 03-16-13 07:58PM
misty1 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
Canada loses to a lackluster Scotland. Go back to page one and look at my post. There is going to be some adjusting to the time change, food, ice, environment, etc by Canada. Let's see what tomorrow brings. If Canada does not dispatch Latvia in 5 or 6 ends (even if they keep playing) then I think some people should start to worry.

Yes, I am American and rooting for team USA. The game against Italy was over after 6 but they kept throwing rocks.

JH
the US just moved to the 1-2 game, I see them beating one of CAN/SCO.

you see really optimistic about the US team's chances. Lets wait and see how they do against a team that can make shots shall we?

the fact that they were in totaly control against italy and still somehow gave a steal of 2 should be a little concerning

Old Post 03-16-13 07:59PM
misty1 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Hitting Paint

USA USA

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

you see really optimistic about the US team's chances. Lets wait and see how they do against a team that can make shots shall we?

the fact that they were in totaly control against italy and still somehow gave a steal of 2 should be a little concerning

The only thing that Americans are good at is hype and self serving propaganda about what rates as inferior compared to elsewhere in the world, especially in Canada. The seven years I worked half of my work week down there and saw how pathetic the lives of Americans really was, compared to what we have in Canada, made me even more likely to kiss the ground in Canada every time I came back across the border.

Old Post 03-16-13 08:11PM
murphyj87 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

Team canada were hurt big time by the burned rock and effectively a 2 point crash to put them 3 down. They came back and tied it but could not mount much offence after tying it.

Front ender trying to sweep against the boards as in that accident is just dumb. Bail earlier and get out of there! The sweeper is not going to make a difference for last 10 feet.

Old Post 03-16-13 08:23PM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

My thoughts and picks on draw 5:

Germany v.s Scotland
Scotland just seems like the better team in every faset of the game here. Eve can make andrea play a more aggressive style, which she really wont like. On the other hand if even chooses tro play defensive like she did against canada today germany has a shot because in a hitting game i think these 2 teams are fairly even.
Winner: Scotland

Sweden v.s United States
This could be a good one and preview of a playoff round. The united states has a very good team however I think this swedish teams hyper aggressive style will give them the edge
Winner: Sweden

Canada v.s Denmark
This danish team can not be underestimated. They are a very good team and , like with china i think the fact that this is an early match up might help denmark. Rachel and team canada are the superior team. They will win the aggressive style all day if they curl well. Interesting match up at skip is rachel v.s lene because nielsen can make a ton of shots and has stood on her head to carry her team before.
Winner: Canada

Japan v.s Latvia
This is a very even match really and winnable for both. I think japan is the better team of the 2 but this could be a really defensive battle and if japan allows latvia to hit it out it could prove costly
Winner: Japan

Old Post 03-16-13 08:25PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

9 ender is right about one thing. Scotland was never challenged by Homan during game.

MissQ was our best player and she wasn't making exacting shots.

Eve out-curled Rachel by 20 points but Eve's shots were fairly simple affairs.

Nice for Rachel - they can play worse than they did this afternoon and still beat Latvia by 5 to 10 points.

Good opportunity for a practice session, I'd say.

I really wonder how Homan reacts when Andrea Schoeep plots a sneak attack on her team!

Old Post 03-16-13 09:05PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
My thoughts and picks on draw 5:

Germany v.s Scotland
Scotland just seems like the better team in every faset of the game here. Eve can make andrea play a more aggressive style, which she really wont like. On the other hand if even chooses tro play defensive like she did against canada today germany has a shot because in a hitting game i think these 2 teams are fairly even.
Winner: Scotland
I'll pick Germany. Schoepp loves to torment the Glamour Queens. Her team might be better than Scotlands but Eve is a superior shooter to Angry Andrea - the key is whether Andrea can torment her with some sneaky shots.

Sweden v.s United States
This could be a good one and preview of a playoff round. The united states has a very good team however I think this swedish teams hyper aggressive style will give them the edge
Winner: Sweden
I agree. Fritz vs. USA skip is a mis-match!

Canada v.s Denmark
This danish team can not be underestimated. They are a very good team and , like with china i think the fact that this is an early match up might help denmark. Rachel and team canada are the superior team. They will win the aggressive style all day if they curl well. Interesting match up at skip is rachel v.s lene because nielsen can make a ton of shots and has stood on her head to carry her team before.
Winner: Canada
I agree, however one codicil. If Canada sags like they did vs. Princess the Danes have a chance.

Japan v.s Latvia
This is a very even match really and winnable for both. I think japan is the better team of the 2 but this could be a really defensive battle and if japan allows latvia to hit it out it could prove costly
Winner: Japan

Japan will fly under the radar before they start getting tested by heavyweights. Should be an easy for Japan.

Old Post 03-16-13 09:09PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chapnlie
Swing Artist

Can anyone tell me why they hold world championships in places where there will be no spectators? The Riga site is reported to have only 1000 seats and, by the photos of the opening ceremonies posted on the website, it appeared 950 were empty!
I understand they can't hold the both world championships in Canada each year, but what a sad waste of an opportunity to promote our game. I can't imagine potential advertisers are impressed to see such paltry attendance for our world championsip!
But the absence of spectators does make for interesting echo sounds on the TSN coverage...

Old Post 03-17-13 12:43AM
chapnlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chapnlie Click here to Send chapnlie a Private Message Find more posts by chapnlie Add chapnlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chapnlie
Swing Artist

Re: USA USA

quote:
Originally posted by murphyj87
The only thing that Americans are good at is hype and self serving propaganda about what rates as inferior compared to elsewhere in the world, especially in Canada. The seven years I worked half of my work week down there and saw how pathetic the lives of Americans really was, compared to what we have in Canada, made me even more likely to kiss the ground in Canada every time I came back across the border.

And someone should have told you the old adage: If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Your repeated rantings about Americans has grown very tiring.

Try this: If you don't have something nice to say about someone ... then you don't know them well enough to say anything bad.

Old Post 03-17-13 12:55AM
chapnlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chapnlie Click here to Send chapnlie a Private Message Find more posts by chapnlie Add chapnlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

Re: Re: USA USA

quote:
Originally posted by chapnlie

And someone should have told you the old adage: If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Your repeated rantings about Americans has grown very tiring.

Try this: If you don't have something nice to say about someone ... then you don't know them well enough to say anything bad.

I agree. This is a curling forum. If someone wants to get into politics then they should be posting in Rabble or Free Dominion or another political site.

Old Post 03-17-13 07:24AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

ps You seem particularily negative about Canada's chances. Allow me to counter this by saying despite a shaky first game I am picking them to win the event. Last year, I picked Nedohin to win the bronze medal which she did; Homan is the best team we've sent to the event in years, and this quality will surface by end of week.

Not really, I predicted that they would beat Scotland 9-4 (!) and that they would finish in the top four. I'm hopeful that yesterday was just first day jitters and that there will be a clean sweep today for Rachel and her teammates.

Recent history of Canadian women at the World's has led me to be cautious about predicting a gold medal. I know, I know - someone will come back and retort that this is best Canadian team ever (debatable) but we will see.

Old Post 03-17-13 07:31AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I think the most positive thing for Canada is that Rachel seemed to be sliding as good as usual and made a terrifically delicate outturn angle tap-out for a deuce (in 7 I believe) and still had her team in position to take the match before Scotty stole to make it 6-4.

The worst thing is how a well-trained second like Ali couldn't figure out she was rapidly running out of turf when she took that awkward burn that cost Canada dearly.

Old Post 03-17-13 07:42AM
misty1
Super Rockchucker

Look at that Germany just knocked off the US. I picked them to win so im not to surprised but they've now knocked off 2 genuine contenders in a row

we could maybe have another 2010 on our hands? and by that i dont mean they'll win i mean they could be there at the end

also great to see japan get the win over denmark..if not a little surprising

Old Post 03-17-13 07:53AM
misty1
Super Rockchucker

Latvia isnt forcing canada to make any hard shots..not really good preparation for the game against denmark

Old Post 03-17-13 09:19AM
Donr
Harvey Hacksmasher

Latvia offers excellent prep for Canada, a team that needed to regroup after their game with Scotland. They are much more relaxed and in charge of the game.......great way to regain their confidence. No doubt they will be tested more by Denmark later today

Old Post 03-17-13 09:36AM
Donr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donr Click here to Send Donr a Private Message Find more posts by Donr Add Donr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

Yeah but thats the problem. This match they have no pressure on them , it helps them get their confidence back but it really doesnt prepare them for a team that should be able to pressure them in denmark

Old Post 03-17-13 09:42AM
misty1
Super Rockchucker

China in huge trouble now. Cant see them coming back against Switzerland at this point

Old Post 03-17-13 09:54AM
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

your probably right Misty, but didn't Wang win the world's once before?, never count out a previous champion/! The world's is never a 'cake walk" unless your name is ......?

Old Post 03-17-13 10:12AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

right now Sweden is 'slapping " Eve around pretty good in their game, wonder if Rachel is smiling at this point?

Old Post 03-17-13 10:16AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

Latvia managed to put up a fight late in that game. The skip in particular made some great shots. so nice showing there to warp it up

Old Post 03-17-13 10:33AM
TJNCJ
Hitting Paint

quote:

Yes John Murphy, keep your hate filled diatribes against the U.S. on your bitter and sad twitter posts and allow us to talk about curling without having to skip over your classless observations on an entire country just because of your perceived mistreatment at some point by an American.

Let go of the hate, you will live longer.

Old Post 03-17-13 11:00AM
TJNCJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TJNCJ Click here to Send TJNCJ a Private Message Find more posts by TJNCJ Add TJNCJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:
Latvia managed to put up a fight late in that game. The skip in particular made some great shots. so nice showing there to warp it up

It is good to see the lesser lights play well. Curling needs as much internationalization as possible.

Last edited by greenroad on 03-17-13 at 12:10PM

Old Post 03-17-13 11:10AM
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:

As a Canadian, I am truly embarrassed by the above post and urge CZ to remove it! It has nothing to do with curling.

Old Post 03-17-13 11:42AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote