Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
Runback - Custom Curling Wear
Subscribe to The Curling News today!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (20): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Not a big fan of them putting a premier match on the first day, when teams are still trying to figure out the ice. I always worry that it will result in a game like the Stoughton-Martin mess at the Brier.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-13-13 02:38PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guycan
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by nelski

Cool. Seems like yesterday Latvia had a call out for used rocks and just got their first club started. Will be cheering for them to climb the ladder, above Schopp and other non-contenders. Is there a chance they could be OLY qualifiers, Guy?

By being in the Worlds this year, Latvia will have a chance to play in the WCF Olympic Qualifying Competition at the end of the year to win one of the two remaining spots for Sochi.

Old Post 03-13-13 02:46PM
guycan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guycan Click here to Send guycan a Private Message Visit guycan's homepage! Find more posts by guycan Add guycan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by guycan
By being in the Worlds this year, Latvia will have a chance to play in the WCF Olympic Qualifying Competition at the end of the year to win one of the two remaining spots for Sochi.

Good timing for Latvia. I will be watching their performance closely. I hope they get in.

Old Post 03-13-13 03:20PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelski

Good timing for Latvia. I will be watching their performance closely. I hope they get in.

So, indeed, this is a new wildcard event. I wonder how many teams will enter. Will Asia Pacific teams (eg, Korea, Japan, Australia) enter this event. It's a nice prize! Soch2014!

Speculate... who will be entering this event?
http://www.worldcurling.org/olympic-qualification

Old Post 03-13-13 03:33PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
China Supporter
Drawmaster

Nelski,

Australia womens can not be in the last chance tourney. You have to played in a Worlds to be entitled for the last chance. If Japan did not qualify for this worlds, they would not be allowed to play in the Last Chance.

Korea and Japan will be in the last chance tourney, (Japan played in this Worlds, Korea played in the last 2 worlds.)

China could be there if they don't have total points in the Top 7.

Italy, Czech Republic, Norway and Latvia will play in the Last Chance because they in the worlds in the past.

Depending on finishes outside the top 7. Germany, Denmark maybe the US plays in the last chance.

Don't get me started with the Mens Last Chance...

Old Post 03-13-13 04:58PM
China Supporter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for China Supporter Click here to Send China Supporter a Private Message Find more posts by China Supporter Add China Supporter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by China Supporter
Nelski,

Australia womens can not be in the last chance tourney. You have to played in a Worlds to be entitled for the last chance. If Japan did not qualify for this worlds, they would not be allowed to play in the Last Chance.

Korea and Japan will be in the last chance tourney, (Japan played in this Worlds, Korea played in the last 2 worlds.)

China could be there if they don't have total points in the Top 7.

Italy, Czech Republic, Norway and Latvia will play in the Last Chance because they in the worlds in the past.

Depending on finishes outside the top 7. Germany, Denmark maybe the US plays in the last chance.

Don't get me started with the Mens Last Chance...

canada, switzerland, united states, sweden and scotland should all be okay for the direct entry into the olympics. every other position is wide open. Obviously germany and denmark are the teams with the inside track to get there. Korea could still technically get in due to their wonderful performance last year. China always does well in away from canada so id expect them to make a push to get in directly.

the final 2 spots will be copntested by germany, denmark and china though. Germany only has to equal their finish from last year and they'll overtake korea and hold off any possible pass from china unless the golden flowers get a top 4.I think germany will do enough to get there and denmark and china will be left battling it out while korea will hope 2 of them or maybe all 3 flop

japan are my question mark. they have a good young team going in and its still possible for them to get in directly but unlikely

latvia, italy ..they will just be there and be glad that they'll be able to play the qualifying event

the mens is alot more complicated and..honestly that pre-qualifying field could be deadly since the united states, germany , france, china and switzerland could all end up having to play in it

Old Post 03-13-13 05:15PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Swing Artist

The Olympic qualifying will be interesting to watch during this year's worlds. I was looking at this a bit, and from my perspective, the key is passing South Korea's nine points. I think if you get more than nine than you should qualify and if you get less you probably won't. If you get nine it could be a mess. I don't know how they break these ties, so who knows.

With that in mind, Canada, Sweden and Switzerland are basically in. Russia's in as the home nation. To get to 10, USA would just need to avoid last place and Scotland would just have to avoid bottom two, so that should be no problem.

At the bottom, Japan and Latvia would have to finish in the top 4 to get to 9 and Italy would have to finish in the top 7 to get to nine. Those scenarios seem unlikely to me. So, that leaves Germany, Denmark, China and Korea competing for the last two spots. Korea is stuck on nine, Germany would need to finish ninth or higher to get to 10, Denmark would need to finish eight or higher, and China would have to finish top 5. I think China is the best of those teams, but they really put themselves in a hole with their performance at last year's worlds. Denmark and Germany is probably the most likely scenario. If those teams did qualify, the qualification event would probably come down to a pacific showdown between China, Japan and Korea.

Old Post 03-13-13 05:46PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi
Not a big fan of them putting a premier match on the first day, when teams are still trying to figure out the ice. I always worry that it will result in a game like the Stoughton-Martin mess at the Brier.

I agree with you but the organizers have done a good job in Canada's prime time line-up - Scot, Den, US, Swe, Sui.

Old Post 03-14-13 10:24AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bradn87
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by greenroad

I agree with you but the organizers have done a good job in Canada's prime time line-up - Scot, Den, US, Swe, Sui.

The alternative would be having all the tough teams piled on at the end of the week, like Gushue did at this Brier. Stoughton, Howard, Martin all back-to-back-to-back... ouch.

Either way, should be exciting! Homan's a solid team and whether she faces Muirhead first or last, they'll represent Canada very well!

Here is some commentary on which teams we think will cause Homan the most trouble: http://www.curlingscoops.com/news/2...ther-in-latvia/

Old Post 03-14-13 11:59AM
bradn87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bradn87 Click here to Send bradn87 a Private Message Visit bradn87's homepage! Find more posts by bradn87 Add bradn87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

What's available on line:

http://www.youtube.com/WorldCurlingTV

Old Post 03-15-13 09:02AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

My thoughts on the first day of matches:

DRAW 1:

United States v.s Italy - The united states will be heavily favored in this one and on paper are certainly the better team. Italy is not to be underestimated though, diana has manufactured wins over some of the top teams in the world and will make the US pay if they go in expecting a win.
Winner: The United States but i think italy will make them work for it

Russia v.s Germany - The Russians come in with alot of expectation on them after winning their second european championship. They have their best results away from canada but still havent had their breakthrough at world level. The germans have alot of talent on the team but they dont appear to br growing. They arent really a top level team consistently but they can still pull off the odd good win or 2 so Russia will have to play well.
Winner: Russia

Switzerland v.s Japan - Silvana has had a great year on tour..but then again she's always been a solid cash tour team. Her last 2 appearances at worlds were major disappointments. This young Japanese team is very talented and not to be taken lightly.
Winner: Switzerland..wanted to say japan though

Denmark v.s China - Denmark is another team that always does well at european ice but struggles on canadian ice. Team nielsen has been so close to medaling a couple of times but they always falter later in the week. They have struggled against China historically but maybe catching them in the beginning of the event will work in their favor. China used to be ultra consistent and are now extremely up and down..maybe the extra attention has gotten to them? dont know but denmark is a team they have had alot of success against..a loss might signal bad things
Winner: China

DRAW 2:

Sweden v.s Latvia - Latvia will be playing on homr ice and making their 2nd appearance at worlds. They did a great job to earn their spot here even if they didnt need to. They will come in with high hopes of improving on their 1-10 appearance a couple years ago however this swedish team is far to strong for them. Sweden wll force latvia into a more aggressive style and that is not their comfort zone.
Winner: Sweden , this will be over early

Italy v.s Switzerland - Its kind of hard for me to call this one. Historically the 2 skips are even with eachother. I think this is one game that could go either way. Silvana has gotten better since her last appearances but diana still wins out on experience.
Winner: ...I'll go with switzerland but italy wouldnt surprise me

China v.s Russia - Another good match early on. The russians are certainly capable of pulling off the upset , and have in the past while China will look to get off to a strong start.
Winner: ..Lets go with Russia

Scotland v.s Canada - the match that I believe will be a preview of the 1 v.s 2 game and the final. Whoever wins this opening match will gain momentum so if the canada v.s scotland 3-peat does happen this match could be very important. Its a great match up between teams and skips..there's not much to choose between the 2. =The style and fearlessness of both teams is what makes the final score very unpredictable. This could be a tight affair that goes down to last rock and an extra end or this could be a blowout for one side.
Winner: Canada

Old Post 03-15-13 04:55PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
My thoughts on the first day of matches:

DRAW 1:

United States v.s Italy - The united states will be heavily favored in this one and on paper are certainly the better team. Italy is not to be underestimated though, diana has manufactured wins over some of the top teams in the world and will make the US pay if they go in expecting a win.
Winner: The United States but i think italy will make them work for it

Russia v.s Germany - The Russians come in with alot of expectation on them after winning their second european championship. They have their best results away from canada but still havent had their breakthrough at world level. The germans have alot of talent on the team but they dont appear to br growing. They arent really a top level team consistently but they can still pull off the odd good win or 2 so Russia will have to play well.
Winner: Russia

Switzerland v.s Japan - Silvana has had a great year on tour..but then again she's always been a solid cash tour team. Her last 2 appearances at worlds were major disappointments. This young Japanese team is very talented and not to be taken lightly.
Winner: Switzerland..wanted to say japan though

Denmark v.s China - Denmark is another team that always does well at european ice but struggles on canadian ice. Team nielsen has been so close to medaling a couple of times but they always falter later in the week. They have struggled against China historically but maybe catching them in the beginning of the event will work in their favor. China used to be ultra consistent and are now extremely up and down..maybe the extra attention has gotten to them? dont know but denmark is a team they have had alot of success against..a loss might signal bad things
Winner: China

DRAW 2:

Sweden v.s Latvia - Latvia will be playing on homr ice and making their 2nd appearance at worlds. They did a great job to earn their spot here even if they didnt need to. They will come in with high hopes of improving on their 1-10 appearance a couple years ago however this swedish team is far to strong for them. Sweden wll force latvia into a more aggressive style and that is not their comfort zone.
Winner: Sweden , this will be over early

Italy v.s Switzerland - Its kind of hard for me to call this one. Historically the 2 skips are even with eachother. I think this is one game that could go either way. Silvana has gotten better since her last appearances but diana still wins out on experience.
Winner: ...I'll go with switzerland but italy wouldnt surprise me

China v.s Russia - Another good match early on. The russians are certainly capable of pulling off the upset , and have in the past while China will look to get off to a strong start.
Winner: ..Lets go with Russia

Scotland v.s Canada - the match that I believe will be a preview of the 1 v.s 2 game and the final. Whoever wins this opening match will gain momentum so if the canada v.s scotland 3-peat does happen this match could be very important. Its a great match up between teams and skips..there's not much to choose between the 2. =The style and fearlessness of both teams is what makes the final score very unpredictable. This could be a tight affair that goes down to last rock and an extra end or this could be a blowout for one side.
Winner: Canada

Forgive me for being presumptious but I think Homan is going to be in the 1-2 game while Princess Eve may have to struggle to get to the 1-2 game.

Like the Hearts I see Homan having maximum 2 losses and more likely zero or 1.

Princess may have to struggle a tad to avoid 3 losses in rr

Old Post 03-15-13 05:40PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Forgive me for being presumptious but I think Homan is going to be in the 1-2 game while Princess Eve may have to struggle to get to the 1-2 game.

Like the Hearts I see Homan having maximum 2 losses and more likely zero or 1.

Princess may have to struggle a tad to avoid 3 losses in rr

I don't think Rachel/Eve tomorrow will be quite the squeaker some might predict. Eve has too many ups-and-downs and although she may get better as the week progresses I think she will have a slow start and I see a clear win for Canada, perhaps in the 9-4 range.

Old Post 03-15-13 06:35PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:

I don't think Rachel/Eve tomorrow will be quite the squeaker some might predict. Eve has too many ups-and-downs and although she may get better as the week progresses I think she will have a slow start and I see a clear win for Canada, perhaps in the 9-4 range.

One thing I've learned is NEVER to underestimate Eve Muirhead. Her team may not put up the massive percentages that R. Homan are capable of but I do remember how Princess absolutely tormented the great Jennifer Jones. Jones left her a small opening and Muirhead took it and then ran away with a world semi-final.

I don't think Eve (or anyone else for that matter) has ever run into a buzzsaw like Homan. Most teams will have to curl at least 10 pts above their average to stay with Team Homan, some teams will have to curl 15 to 20 pts higher.

Thats too much of a deficit. Some teams will no doubt stay with Rachel for 4 to 6 ends before the torment finally takes hold.

I think Muirhead is one of those who looks forward to this great young canadian champion.

Old Post 03-15-13 06:48PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

quote:

well like i said in my analysis the fearlessness of both skips means this could be close or a blowout. The fact that neither one is afraid of anything is both good and bad. It can mean a very fast game and win for them. It can also mean an ugly loss if they are even just a little bit off

Old Post 03-15-13 07:57PM
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

quote:

well like i said in my analysis the fearlessness of both skips means this could be close or a blowout. The fact that neither one is afraid of anything is both good and bad. It can mean a very fast game and win for them. It can also mean an ugly loss if they are even just a little bit off

As it is the first game, I think both teams may be a little more defensive/conservative than normal to settle in and get comfortable with the rocks and ice. Teams are fearless when they have a high level of confidence with what is happening and first games usually are more open for a while at least.

Old Post 03-15-13 09:45PM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

misty1 the Russians beating China would not be an upset. The reverse outcome right now would be the upset. I am pretty sure Russia has better odds from everyone to finish higher in this tournament. They are reigning European Champions and the Chinese have done little for a few years now.

Old Post 03-16-13 12:27AM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by KittyHisses
misty1 the Russians beating China would not be an upset. The reverse outcome right now would be the upset. I am pretty sure Russia has better odds from everyone to finish higher in this tournament. They are reigning European Champions and the Chinese have done little for a few years now.

Well at least the chinese have medalled at recent worlds unlike russia who constistantly are at the bottom of the table. I like them, they are a good team but for some reason they never do well at worlds.

in the mean time..WHERE IN THE HELL DO I FIND THE LIVE SCORE LINK?

Old Post 03-16-13 08:05AM
misty1
Super Rockchucker

Never mind, i found it. Seems like China is doing everything they can to keep this open

works for denmark since they got the steal in the first

Old Post 03-16-13 08:29AM
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Never mind, i found it.

Care to share?

Old Post 03-16-13 08:48AM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:

Well at least the chinese have medalled at recent worlds unlike russia who constistantly are at the bottom of the table. I like them, they are a good team but for some reason they never do well at worlds.

Look to the right at the top of the page. Official stats and results being posted to CurlingZone along with the WCF website at http://wwcc2013.curlingevents.com/

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 03-16-13 08:54AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Look to the right at the top of the page. Official stats and results being posted to CurlingZone along with the WCF website at http://wwcc2013.curlingevents.com/

Yeah, thanks. I saw the curlingzone scores. That live score link wasnt on the front page of the official website before thats why i had asked

Old Post 03-16-13 08:59AM
misty1
Super Rockchucker

Does anyone mind of i change my pick for the china/denmark game?..

no but seriously..WOW China looking extremely out of sorts

Old Post 03-16-13 09:08AM
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

can China's Wang bounce back from.....

her first game against Denmark ...WOW .after getting hammered 10 to zip after 5 ends of play? .... I don't see her wining this one, BUT SHE'LL HAVE TO PUT THIS GAME BEHIND HER AND TEAM WILL HAVE TO REGROUP AND FOCUS WHAT'S AHEAD...

Old Post 03-16-13 09:19AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Yeah, thanks. I saw the curlingzone scores. That live score link wasnt on the front page of the official website before thats why i had asked

Did you ever find it on the official website? I'm still looking. (I know there's the one here at CZ, but I can't understand how I either can't see it or they forgot to put it there.)

Old Post 03-16-13 09:52AM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote