Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
Runback - Custom Curling Wear
Subscribe to The Curling News today!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (23): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

J-L Menard must be licking his chops at the thought of demolishing a 3-time Brier champion in Stoughton.

Listen, if Stoughton can't glom onto the ice and starts to look glazed-eye and goofier than Dennis the Menace he'll be in prime danger almost every end.

All Menard has to do is pounce Jeff for an early lead and Jeff will go bonkers offensively, leaving him totally exposed.

If Jeff suddenly catches onto the rocks and the "patchy" ice I think he's still in for a stiff response from Menard. I just can't say enough good things about Jonathan Mead and Porky Nichols - they have both been outstanding. Stoughton & Reidarama (Carruthers) have both been error prone!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-04-13 09:39AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
I am rather puzzled why the CCA would choose to use their new rocks at their major curling event of the season? Why not wait until another event or have them ready earlier to use at the Canada cup or even do a deal and use them at one of the grand slams? Why weren't they used at the Scotties?

I'm surprised by this as well. It's not just K-Mart talking about the rocks....I've seen comments from almost every skip talking about how difficult the rocks have been. I don't understand why the CCA would bust these out at their marquee event.

Old Post 03-04-13 09:46AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

K-Mart's Waterloo

Monday afternoon vs. the unexpressive Brad Jacobs of Northern Ontario.

If KMart can't rev it up in front of 9 to 12,000 roaring hometown fans, he'll end up being a storm-chaser (tiebreak spot) where almost any loss could sideline his hopes for a 5th Brier.

Old Post 03-04-13 09:48AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

I'm surprised by this as well. It's not just K-Mart talking about the rocks....I've seen comments from almost every skip talking about how difficult the rocks have been. I don't understand why the CCA would bust these out at their marquee event.

K-Mart's mutterings have been very vocal re: the rocks.

Jeff Stoughton hasn't been as vocal but you can tell Stoughton is totally off his game. His morose demeanour kinda gives it away. Stoughton is rarely seen like that.

Makes it all the more incredible that 51 yr old Glenny Howard and The Loudmouths (Quebec) seem unaffected. And Goo, a guy usually bothered by just about anything just keep a rolling along!

Old Post 03-04-13 09:52AM
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
What happened to Stoughton on that end TSN showed. Looked to be lying one with his last rock, attempted some kind of triple raise and ended up letting a fawn steal a deuce and tighten the game. AMAZIN'

Jeff probably mentally drained by his game last nite vs. Martin

From my angle in the stands, it looked like Stoughton was trying a hit and roll for two (he was already lying one and was up three at the time). He appeared to be tight on the throw, hit a high guard about half rock, the guard he hit angled back onto another guard a couple feet short of the rings, that straightened it out so that it came right back onto shot rock leaving the opposition with a steal of two.

One of the darndest things I ever saw! I'm guessing that Jeff was rethinking his need to try for two after that result.

Old Post 03-04-13 10:21AM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by FollowingAlong

From my angle in the stands, it looked like Stoughton was trying a hit and roll for two (he was already lying one and was up three at the time). He appeared to be tight on the throw, hit a high guard about half rock, the guard he hit angled back onto another guard a couple feet short of the rings, that straightened it out so that it came right back onto shot rock leaving the opposition with a steal of two.

One of the darndest things I ever saw! I'm guessing that Jeff was rethinking his need to try for two after that result.

Not really a good situation play for Stoughton, was it?

You try that shot if you're two down last end, if you're 6 or 7 up and wanna have some fun, etc. But in a 3 pt. game you don't give anyone a surrender of a stolen deuce, particularly if you have one "pied" away!

PS> None of the media rockheads pesked Jeff about the boneheaded call - TSN especially, Jeff has a very unique way of boycotting you if you get on his wrong side. For TSN, he'd probably start giving them 1.5 to 2.0 second chirp answers instead of the normal 10 or 15 second sound bites they favour.

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 03-04-13 at 10:42AM

Old Post 03-04-13 10:39AM
Wally Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Out of my Monday moaning mind, rocks, hats and a new name for the tick shot

http://hurryhardblog.blogspot.ca/20...r-thoughts.html

Old Post 03-04-13 11:09AM
Wally Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wally Curler Click here to Send Wally Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Wally Curler Add Wally Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Wally Curler

A "Weagle" fer sure!!!!

Even the Quebecois boys were referring to it as such!

Probably 6 or 7 teams at this event that would like Lisa as their lead.

Probably has more brush-power than little guys like DJ Kidby, too!

Old Post 03-04-13 11:27AM
misty1
Super Rockchucker

My thoughts on today's games:

British Columbia v.s Saskatchewan - battle of the rookies. BC has been slaughtered in all 3 of their opening games but this is a team they can keep pace with. Saskatchewan went an extra with PEI..but i think that has more to do with blanking all those ends. They gave ontario a great game then got pasted by new foundland. It looks to me like the saskatchewan that played the cash tour is back again, the one that cant generate points and struggles to keep the opponent off the board which is unfortunate. Still this is one of those teams saskatchewan needs to find a way to beat if they want any shot at all of a playoff spot
WINNER: British Columbia(unfortunately)

Nova Scotia v.s Ontario - I am actually surprised that Nova scotia is doing so poorly, none of their games have been close. Ontario(my pre-event pick to win) is looking amazing.
WINNER: Ontario to continue Nova scotia's misery

Quebec v.s Manitoba - great match on paper. Jeff has had jean-michel's number in the past but they have looked average so far and probably would be 1-2 if not for a horrible throw by kevin on his first. quebec on the other hand has looked incredible, jean-michel himself is playing as good as if not better than he did when he won in 2006. Alot of people writ quebec off but they are a very good team and if they keep this up they can definately win it all.
WINNER: this is the hardest one to call..ill go with Quebec but it will come down to last rock

Northern Ontario v.s Alberta - Kevin has had a slow start. He hammered BC last night but then again everyone has. His 2 losses come against 2 of the stronger teams. I expect kevin to have caught on to the rocks by now though, he's to smart not to have. still this will be a thrilling game
WINNER: okay i take it back, this is the hardest one to pick...ill go with Alberta in extra ends.

NIGHT GAMES:

Prince Edward Island v.s Quebec - The manner in which PEI has lost surprises me, I thought they had a really solid middle end. Quebec looks way to strong at this point to lose to PEI.
WINNER: Quebec and it will be over early

Saskatchewan v.s New Brunswick - This is one of those games that Saskatchewan has to win if they want any chance at all of finishing above 500. No it will by no means be easy because james has way more experience but Saskatchewan has the more talented line up. James took new foundland to an extra last night so brock and the team will have to be aware.
WINNER: Saskatchewan

New Foundland v.s Northern Ontario - tough day for brad and crew who could be 3-2 after a 3-0 start. This is a good one and I hope its the feature. Brad gushue has been the hottest skip at the event, making literally everything and it might just come down to a battle at skip position. If it does i give the edge to gushue..but only slightly
WINNER: New foundland , possibly in an extra

Yukon/NWT v.s Nova Scotia - well jamie and the team have been curling well, maybe not as good as last year but they still have been beating the teams they should and losing the games they should unfortunately. If he wants any shot at all of repeating last year's magic he needs to continue that great trend of winning games he should..as this is one of those
WINNER: yukon/North West Territories..possibly an early finish

Old Post 03-04-13 11:33AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

K-Mart's mutterings have been very vocal re: the rocks.

Jeff Stoughton hasn't been as vocal but you can tell Stoughton is totally off his game. His morose demeanour kinda gives it away. Stoughton is rarely seen like that.

Makes it all the more incredible that 51 yr old Glenny Howard and The Loudmouths (Quebec) seem unaffected. And Goo, a guy usually bothered by just about anything just keep a rolling along!

Comments from K-Mart (obviously), Jacobs, Menard, Gushue and Howard on the rocks in here:
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...d-slow-cutters/

Old Post 03-04-13 11:53AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

Comments from K-Mart (obviously), Jacobs, Menard, Gushue and Howard on the rocks in here:
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...d-slow-cutters/

Howard was heard complaining about the rocks last night. Laing had trouble with one...unfortunately at front end you have to keep them and ensure that the back end has the good ones.

Old Post 03-04-13 12:14PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ObsessiveCurler
Administrator

geez. I've gone from thinking that Martin could win it Saturday morning to wondering if he'll even make the playoffs.

Old Post 03-04-13 04:44PM
ObsessiveCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ObsessiveCurler Click here to Send ObsessiveCurler a Private Message Find more posts by ObsessiveCurler Add ObsessiveCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

well this is shocking. I thought martin could lose but...i thought it would be closer

Last edited by misty1 on 03-04-13 at 05:01PM

Old Post 03-04-13 04:44PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Poor old K-Mart. He's starting to curl up a bit of a storm but ran into the wrong truck this afternoon. Brad "The Hangman" Jacobs is tormenting the hell outta Team Alberta, NO leading 4-1 with hammer in 5.

The rocks are really bugging the Martian (and his players)

Stoughton at least seems to be putting up a fight vs. the hot Quebecois.

Old Post 03-04-13 04:46PM
Unregistered

Can I please get a score update? Having trouble with the live score webpage at work. Thanks in advance.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 205.200.189.2

Old Post 03-04-13 04:48PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
well this is shocking. I thought martin would lose but...i thought it would be closer

But you picked Alberta just four posts before.

Old Post 03-04-13 04:51PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
My thoughts on today's games:

British Columbia v.s Saskatchewan - battle of the rookies. BC has been slaughtered in all 3 of their opening games but this is a team they can keep pace with. Saskatchewan went an extra with PEI..but i think that has more to do with blanking all those ends. They gave ontario a great game then got pasted by new foundland. It looks to me like the saskatchewan that played the cash tour is back again, the one that cant generate points and struggles to keep the opponent off the board which is unfortunate. Still this is one of those teams saskatchewan needs to find a way to beat if they want any shot at all of a playoff spot
WINNER: British Columbia(unfortunately)

Nova Scotia v.s Ontario - I am actually surprised that Nova scotia is doing so poorly, none of their games have been close. Ontario(my pre-event pick to win) is looking amazing.
WINNER: Ontario to continue Nova scotia's misery

Quebec v.s Manitoba - great match on paper. Jeff has had jean-michel's number in the past but they have looked average so far and probably would be 1-2 if not for a horrible throw by kevin on his first. quebec on the other hand has looked incredible, jean-michel himself is playing as good as if not better than he did when he won in 2006. Alot of people writ quebec off but they are a very good team and if they keep this up they can definately win it all.
WINNER: this is the hardest one to call..ill go with Quebec but it will come down to last rock

Northern Ontario v.s Alberta - Kevin has had a slow start. He hammered BC last night but then again everyone has. His 2 losses come against 2 of the stronger teams. I expect kevin to have caught on to the rocks by now though, he's to smart not to have. still this will be a thrilling game
WINNER: okay i take it back, this is the hardest one to pick...ill go with Alberta in extra ends.

NIGHT GAMES:

Prince Edward Island v.s Quebec - The manner in which PEI has lost surprises me, I thought they had a really solid middle end. Quebec looks way to strong at this point to lose to PEI.
WINNER: Quebec and it will be over early

Saskatchewan v.s New Brunswick - This is one of those games that Saskatchewan has to win if they want any chance at all of finishing above 500. No it will by no means be easy because james has way more experience but Saskatchewan has the more talented line up. James took new foundland to an extra last night so brock and the team will have to be aware.
WINNER: Saskatchewan

New Foundland v.s Northern Ontario - tough day for brad and crew who could be 3-2 after a 3-0 start. This is a good one and I hope its the feature. Brad gushue has been the hottest skip at the event, making literally everything and it might just come down to a battle at skip position. If it does i give the edge to gushue..but only slightly
WINNER: New foundland , possibly in an extra

Yukon/NWT v.s Nova Scotia - well jamie and the team have been curling well, maybe not as good as last year but they still have been beating the teams they should and losing the games they should unfortunately. If he wants any shot at all of repeating last year's magic he needs to continue that great trend of winning games he should..as this is one of those
WINNER: yukon/North West Territories..possibly an early finish

Bad nite draw. SHoulda been a morning draw. Only one natural feature - Goo vs. Hangman Jake.

Old Post 03-04-13 04:53PM
misty1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

But you picked Alberta just four posts before.

That was a typo, i'll fix it now

Last edited by misty1 on 03-04-13 at 05:00PM

Old Post 03-04-13 04:58PM
Super Rockchucker

Question

quote:
Originally posted by Wally Curler

So is a Weagle considered a low side tick exclusively or is there a "low side Weagle" and a "high side Weagle"?

Old Post 03-04-13 04:59PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

WOW

Northern Ontario up 7-1

..i just did not see this coming, though kevin had his mojo back but ..no

Old Post 03-04-13 05:04PM
ObsessiveCurler
Administrator

Martin has gone into denial now, he doesn't even believe what his sweepers say anymore

Old Post 03-04-13 05:04PM
ObsessiveCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ObsessiveCurler Click here to Send ObsessiveCurler a Private Message Find more posts by ObsessiveCurler Add ObsessiveCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Harvey Hacksmasher

John Morris is a mess and Marc Kennedy is very agitated and annoyed with Johns struggles

Old Post 03-04-13 05:07PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

who is kevin bringing his son in to replace?

at this point maybe we should switch to a closer game..maybe manitoba v.s quebec?

ontario/ nova scotia is a blow out as expected

Old Post 03-04-13 05:10PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

The whole team is out of sorts. They are repeatedly missing shots they never miss. It happens to every team now and then, but you rarely see it on a big event like this.

Old Post 03-04-13 05:13PM
misty1
Super Rockchucker

on a side note am i the only one who doesnt get bringing the son out in a match like this? unless kevin plans on conceding after this end

Old Post 03-04-13 05:14PM