Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
Runback - Custom Curling Wear
Subscribe to The Curling News today!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (23): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
fresca
Super Rockchucker

ml - dont quit your day job

quite an end ... its a slippery game

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-02-13 11:53PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

Stoughton and his team looked way off today, missed several chances to score more points, and still won against one of the best teams. That is a good sign for them if they can start to play better. Martin also didnt look great today though. Very tenative opening game for both teams. Gushue looks on fire early, better than all 3 of the favorites in fact. Will be interesting how look he can continue that.

Old Post 03-02-13 11:58PM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Goo is always fairly sharp. Hopefully, Gallant can give him that extra edge that allows him to wade in to monster waters.

I have never seen Kevin Martin pizz away a final end like he did tonite.

Team K-Mart missed their final 4 shots. ZERO FOR FOUR.

A sympathetic scorer like Gerry might have given Martin 1 out of 4 for his first rock, which also appeared to have caught some goo at the first hog-line. He still managed to move the guard a bit.

Stoughton was definitely off, albeit a tiny bit all game long. But thats mainly cuz he's playing Martin and he's over-thinking every one of his rock placements.

Old Post 03-03-13 12:12AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coorsman
Swing Artist

Stoughton's team looked way better than Martin's today. Sweeping covered some of the spread for Martin, but not all of it. I know the 10th didn't go as they planned, but I don't think being 1 down with hammer scared them at all the way the 2 teams were playing.

Old Post 03-03-13 01:34AM
coorsman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coorsman Click here to Send coorsman a Private Message Find more posts by coorsman Add coorsman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

as average as both teams looked manitoba still looked the better team throughout, it was kevin constantly having to save the end. If not for kevin manitoba would have been up by a couple in the 10th end anyway..it really would have been a crime if they lost

Old Post 03-03-13 09:15AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
I have never seen Kevin Martin pizz away a final end like he did tonite.

Team K-Mart missed their final 4 shots. ZERO FOR FOUR.

A sympathetic scorer like Gerry might have given Martin 1 out of 4 for his first rock, which also appeared to have caught some goo at the first hog-line. He still managed to move the guard a bit.

Stoughton was definitely off, albeit a tiny bit all game long. But thats mainly cuz he's playing Martin and he's over-thinking every one of his rock placements.

Kevin played pretty well, but the team was stuggling with the ice and rocks all night it seemed (Manitoba was too). If Kevin doesn't make a few fantastic draws, they probably would have lost pretty badly.

To be fair to Kevin in the Xtra End, John Morris had bad misses on both his rocks; John's first miss was what created the problems. Kevin 1st rock picked, and his 2nd was a hail mary. I don't think you can fault Kevin for that end. It was funny though, as I was watching that end unfold, it brought back memories of the 10th end of the World Champ gold medal game against David Murdoch a few years ago.

Old Post 03-03-13 09:42AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Swing Artist

Did Kevin's first rock really pick? I watched it a couple of times and the replay and didn't see it, all I saw was Kevin doing his usual, blame something else. Also while watching the reply, the commentators will usually say "there it was, right there, where it picked up something." They were all quite, nothing was said.

Just wondering, as I said, I sure didn't see it. Although he was in trouble by then anyway.

Old Post 03-03-13 09:47AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

If it didn't pick, then it was a horrible throw because it was nothing close to the shot he was playing. His reaction was pretty instantaneous, so I gotta believe it picked.

Old Post 03-03-13 09:49AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

I have watched the match back on tsn on i dont notice any drastic movement of the rock that would indicate a pick

Old Post 03-03-13 09:52AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

of course it picked .. and he only missed the hail mary by abt half an inch ..

tthought both morris and martin showed great control in the 11th .. very mature attitudes ... classy ...

its games like this that make me watch curling ... we only get about 40 a year and we will get 10 of those this week ..

Old Post 03-03-13 10:05AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Pauly the Weasel (Wpg FP curling reporter) indicated Martin stormed past reporters, using his interminable Martin Mutter to avoid answering questions. However, he came back a few moments later, telling assembled media mooches that he had to p.

If the ice and rocks were so bad how does that explain K-Mart drawing to the pin over and over again to bail out his team?

Martin was a better percentage shooter by at least 7% until the last end vs. Stoughton. Probably even after K-Mart blew his final pair and Stoughton rang him up.

Old Post 03-03-13 10:07AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

ml - one of your dumber posts -

ice and rocks arent "bad" - they are inconsistent - where these guys hit or are tight on the broom 100% - for you it was just a rough guide -- they curl 95% -- you were about 60%( 40 years ago ) .. when a rock pics or hits a run or flat piece of ice it can affect the whole end - possibly the game

kevin didnt blow his last two rocks .. poetic licence needs to be fair - one picked and he missed the run back by abt 1/4" - about the size of your brain to put it into perspective for you ..

and btw , most of us prefer not to wet our pants in public - i guess its something you have gotten used to ..

go to work .. give us a break for a couple of hours ..lol

Old Post 03-03-13 11:04AM
Wally Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

My Sunday morning Brier thoughts
http://hurryhardblog.blogspot.ca/20...r-thoughts.html

Old Post 03-03-13 11:24AM
Wally Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wally Curler Click here to Send Wally Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Wally Curler Add Wally Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smallsey42
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Brier trivia

quote:
Originally posted by Smallsey42
I was disappointed in the other trivia posted here this week, so here are some questions for you. If you like them, I'll post more during the week.

1. Who won the first Hot Shots in 1995?

2. When one player takes to the ice today, he will equal the all-time record of representing the most different provinces/jurisdictions in his Brier career. Who is the player, which provinces/jurisdictions has he represented and whose record will he equal? Hint: the man tying the record will have to play the son of the man who set the record.

3. There are three Canadian junior championship rinks (one won it twice) that each have members on two separate provincial teams at this year’s Brier, name the teams and the players.

4. There are two curlers on two separate teams who both won the Canadian junior championship for the same skip but in different years. Name them.

5. There are members (fifth included) of one World junior championship team spread across three teams at this Brier. Who are they and what teams do they play for.

6. This is Glenn Howard’s 15th Brier, how many times in the past has he not made the Brier playoffs?

7. How many Briers finals has Glenn Howard played in?

Thanks for those who tried these questions. Here are the answers.
Answers:
1. Ed Werenich, Ontario

2.Ryan Fry tied the record, playing with Man, NL and N. Ont. Earle Morris was the first to do it, playing with Ont., Que. and Man.

3. 1998 and 1999 champions from Ont. – Skip John Morris, at the Brier with Alberta, and Third Craig Savill and Lead Brent Laing, both at the Brier with Ontario.
2001 champions from Newfoundland – Skip Brad Gushue, at the Brier with NL and Third Mark Nichols, at the Brier with Man.
2009 champions from PEI – Skip Brett Gallant and Third Adam Casey, at the Brier with NL and Second Anson Carmody, at the Brier with PEI.
(The Roach brothers don’t fit the question because they are on the same team at the Brier)

4. NL Lead Geoff Walker won the 2006 Juniors at third with Alberta’s Charley Thomas. Sask. Skip Brock Virtue won the 2007 Juniors at third for Thomas.

5. The 1998 World Junior Champions included: John Morris (Alta.), Craig Savill and Brent Laing (Ont.) and fifth player Brad Gushue (NL).

6. Once, 1991. Russ Howard’s Ontario rink, on which Glenn was third, finished seventh at 6-5.

7. ]11 – 1986, 1987, 1992, 1993, 1994, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012

Old Post 03-03-13 11:56AM
Smallsey42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smallsey42 Click here to Send Smallsey42 a Private Message Find more posts by Smallsey42 Add Smallsey42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

Manitoba Legend, along with misty1 and UpYerKilt are the best posters on this site. So sad so many of you are hard on ML. He is one of the only ones who makes this forum remotedly entertaining and gives in depth analysis of practically every game.

Old Post 03-03-13 11:56AM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

you should sign those 3 up for a team kitty .. 4 of a kind

" and then is heard no more: it is a tale etc etc " macbeth 1603

"the lights are on - but nobodys home " 1950

" all foam - no beer " yesterday

Old Post 03-03-13 12:07PM
Curl401
Swing Artist

Enjoying the coverage

Cathy Gauthier needs to talk a lot less
A lot lees
Annoying voice and a lot of useless information IMO

Old Post 03-03-13 12:12PM
Curl401 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curl401 Find more posts by Curl401 Add Curl401 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Curl401
Enjoying the coverage

Cathy Gauthier needs to talk a lot less
A lot lees
Annoying voice and a lot of useless information IMO

Sorry. Have to blame Mudryk for Chatty Cathy this a.m.

He really set her off when he rubbed "Gretzky" in her face and tormented her about all the great Oiler teams. Cathy had no comeback except to start yapping endlessly!!!

Old Post 03-03-13 12:20PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

TSN shows uncommon good sense by switching away from a vile pukefest between BC's Bullinski and Jacobs - Jacobs clobbering the newbie.

Now TSN switches over to Mutterin' Martin vs. Johnny Fantastique (JM Menard).

JM is up 5-3 playing 8 vs. K-Mart.

K-Mart will no doubt bring things down to the final stone.

Can't have a 4 time brier monster off to two straight losses, can we?

Old Post 03-03-13 12:32PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

What happened to Stoughton on that end TSN showed. Looked to be lying one with his last rock, attempted some kind of triple raise and ended up letting a fawn steal a deuce and tighten the game. AMAZIN'

Jeff probably mentally drained by his game last nite vs. Martin

Old Post 03-03-13 12:54PM
icehog
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi
If it didn't pick, then it was a horrible throw because it was nothing close to the shot he was playing. His reaction was pretty instantaneous, so I gotta believe it picked.

It didn't pick - it WAS a horrible throw. Martin hasn't hit the broom in the past 3-4 years. Every time he throws they are pounding it out of his hand including several of his throws last night. Don't know about you but to me that is a pretty clear sign that you didn't hit the broom.

I see Kevin complaining about the rocks again today. He needs to wake up and realize that everyone misses shots including him and 9 times out of 10 it is not because of the ice or the rocks. Or maybe he is just the most unlucky skip in the country and has more picks than any club curler out there playing on dirty ice with crappy rocks. Pretty sure his front end could make anyone curl 90 + % with their sweeping - you can be a foot inside and 10 feet light most of the time and still make the shot.

Old Post 03-03-13 01:15PM
icehog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for icehog Click here to Send icehog a Private Message Find more posts by icehog Add icehog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curling fan
Harvey Hacksmasher

Wow,K-Mart off to an 0-2 start.He's his own worst enemy when he gets befuddled by the ice and rocks.

Old Post 03-03-13 01:15PM
Curling fan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curling fan Click here to Send Curling fan a Private Message Find more posts by Curling fan Add Curling fan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

says you 3 that probably havent won a game in 20 years - and never did play a good team ..

i tell myself not to bother posting but every time i look there are another couple of beauties

Old Post 03-03-13 01:48PM
misty1
Super Rockchucker

I think team Virtue is acquiting themselves very well so far. I have been impressed with the way they are handling their first brier. the draw to the full 4 last night was great.They didnt beat Ontario either but they really gave them a great game and made glenn have to throw a good last stone for the win.

I might be the only one but im not surprised at all to see alberta 0-2.

Old Post 03-03-13 01:58PM
peteski
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by icehog

It didn't pick - it WAS a horrible throw. Martin hasn't hit the broom in the past 3-4 years. Every time he throws they are pounding it out of his hand including several of his throws last night. Don't know about you but to me that is a pretty clear sign that you didn't hit the broom.

I see Kevin complaining about the rocks again today. He needs to wake up and realize that everyone misses shots including him and 9 times out of 10 it is not because of the ice or the rocks. Or maybe he is just the most unlucky skip in the country and has more picks than any club curler out there playing on dirty ice with crappy rocks. Pretty sure his front end could make anyone curl 90 + % with their sweeping - you can be a foot inside and 10 feet light most of the time and still make the shot.

You don't know what you're talking about. There's no way you can tell it didn't pick from the replay last night. It did look a little unnatural to me. But, it's not like he never admits to a bad throw. Even in that game, he said "this is really bad" on one of his throws. Besides, that's not his go-to "excuse". Usually, if he misses he'll complain about the ice or rocks not doing what he expects. This makes me feel pretty certain that if he says it picks, it picked; he's got other excuses.

If he misses the broom so often and by so much, how come he never misses a peel? He uses his sweepers. It's what good players always do. He errs light and inside. If he didn't do that, he'd be foolish.

He does complain about the rocks and ice more than I like, but almost all top skips do this and it's not like these things aren't factors. Russ Howard is always talking about how the stones will be different and it takes time to figure it out. Is he some kind of idiot?

His front end is the best, but if you think they could make anyone curl 90% your wrong and also an idiot. Are they so much better than other top front ends? And if you ask them well after they're done playing with Kevin, I'm sure they'll tell you he is the best last brick thrower ever.

Old Post 03-03-13 02:28PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote