Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
Runback - Custom Curling Wear
Subscribe to The Curling News today!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (23): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bradn87
Hitting Paint

2013 Tim Hortons Brier

One day to go. Time to place your bets. Let's discuss the 2013 Brier!

For reference, here are the skips representing their provinces/territories this year:

Alberta: Kevin Martin
British Columbia: Andrew Bilesky
Manitoba: Jeff Stoughton
New Brunswick: James Grattan
Newfoundland & Labrador: Brad Gushue
Northern Ontario: Brad Jacobs
Northwest Territories: Jamies Koe
Nova Scotia: Paul Flemming
Ontario: Glenn Howard
Prince Edward Island: Eddie MacKenzie
Quebéc: Jean-Michel Ménard
Saskatchewan: Brock Virtue

Any thoughts? Predictions? Here are our musings on this year's tournament: http://www.curlingscoops.com/news/2013/brier-preview/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-28-13 11:00AM
bradn87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bradn87 Click here to Send bradn87 a Private Message Visit bradn87's homepage! Find more posts by bradn87 Add bradn87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Jacobs makes final against Stoughton. Then it could go either way.

Old Post 02-28-13 12:21PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Guest
Jacobs makes final against Stoughton. Then it could go either way.

Groupie!

Old Post 02-28-13 02:08PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

I hope Stoughton wins. He deserves another World title. Whichever of Martin, Howard, or Stoughton wins will be the heavy favorite for Worlds though.

Old Post 02-28-13 03:08PM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

saskatchewan over alberta but iwant 20 to 1 odds

Old Post 02-28-13 05:49PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ObsessiveCurler
Administrator

I gotta say that I'm feeling Kevin Martin this year. I still remember how they tore through the field 2008-2010 and I believe they'll find close to that form again now that Kevin is pain free.

Who will end up 4th though? NONT,NL,QUE?
My money is on team muscle(NONT)

Old Post 02-28-13 11:13PM
ObsessiveCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ObsessiveCurler Click here to Send ObsessiveCurler a Private Message Find more posts by ObsessiveCurler Add ObsessiveCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Totally interesting Brier ---

Howard & Martin trying to break the logjam tie of 4 Brier wins with The Richardsons (Ernie).

Jeff Stoughton trying to stop them from doing so while at the same time joining the 4 Win group himself.

All must watch out for the sleeper, The Saskatchewan Assassin, Brock Virtue.

This event should be the ultimate pre-test for the Olympic Trials (minus Koe, probably McEwen)

Final Briers likely for several curlers (retirement)

Howard
Stoughton
Mead
Martin??? - if this guy wins Brier and takes Olympic spot, I can actually see him making one more Olympic cycle (and intermittent Brier & World appearances; its his life and he's great at it)

All will go forward into Trials and if they don't capture the spot - they might just say, hey we're already curling hard, may as well finish the season with another Brier push.

Old Post 03-01-13 12:00AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bradn87
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Final Briers likely for several curlers (retirement)

Howard
Stoughton
Mead
Martin???

Really? With the exception of Mead, I don't think any of these will retire after this year. They'll all play one more season so they'll stay sharp for the Olympic trials next fall. I can't see any of these guys throw in the towel mid-way through the season.

If any of these guys win the trials, then yes, this could be their last Brier because they'll miss it next year to be in Sochi.

Old Post 03-01-13 08:49AM
bradn87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bradn87 Click here to Send bradn87 a Private Message Visit bradn87's homepage! Find more posts by bradn87 Add bradn87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by bradn87

Really? With the exception of Mead, I don't think any of these will retire after this year. They'll all play one more season so they'll stay sharp for the Olympic trials next fall. I can't see any of these guys throw in the towel mid-way through the season.

If any of these guys win the trials, then yes, this could be their last Brier because they'll miss it next year to be in Sochi.

I guess I meant after the Trials (which all these great curlers are participating in) and I suspect Kevin Koe & Mike McEwen will draw into as well.

I don't think its in a team's best interest to retire a couple months prior to the ROAR and just throw rocks and keep fit. TO curl really well, you gotta curl really well in tons of games.

After the Trials, the winner foregoes the Brier and the other guys decide 'Hey, we've gone this far for the trials, may as well stay together and try and rip off another Brier!!!"

Old Post 03-01-13 09:57AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Lets forget the speculation (memo to myself) for now and concentrate on this great '13 field.

Pre-Brier notes:

- Nobody ever got poor betting on the MEGA-MONSTER Kevin Martin. I think his game is evolving and nobody handles a tight scoring zone better than Martin & Johnny Mo, NOBODY!

- Stoughton has had a bit of an up 'n down season but he really thrashed some good teams at the Manitoba championships and refused to suffer the inglorious draw which drags on for five days. That said, Stoughton is nearly 50, still in great shape but showing a few chinks in his armour - missing some routine shots in the cash circuit and the odd blip at the Manitobas. Jeff plays the same way Jennifer Jones plays womens - ALL OUT OFFENSE but, the biggest difference is Stoughton can choke out just about anybody when he gets the lead. Hard guy to dislodge once he's up a deuce. Doesn't get bothered when another guy ties it up, either.

- Howard, the defending champ. Nothing much to choose from between Stoughton, Howard, Martin. All three are great curling champions, some of the greatest we've had since the Briers first roared on the scene in 1927. And all of them on the same card! WOW!!! Howard has a balanced team who will torment you at every position - and a skip who rarely misses anything open, near open or slightly difficult. Unless Glenn is forced into berserk situations (Martin can do this, Stoughton not so much) I think he'll easily confront the other members of the Big 3

- The rest of the Happy Gang - Goo is always ready, perhaps not enough shots across the bow, thats the big problem he's had since winning Olympic gold with Russ steering Goo's canoe. Jacobs, the unemotional man who would be king, now served by a paladin named Fry who can really get worked up. Jacobs when running on all 8 cylinders is fierce. They can machine anyone. Can they do it when it counts.

Ultimate outside Brock Virtue. No Brier experience. New province, new team. Sask'n teams have fared rather poorly in recent years, Pat Simmons put up the odd fight but mostly sad results. I think Virtue is the wildcard. He could go 6-5 but take home the scalps of some of the top guys while going down to fawns. Could also go 8-3 or 9-2 if he can maintain focus and concentration (learn the Rachel Homan lesson) and factor into the playoffs.

Old Post 03-01-13 10:09AM
bradn87
Hitting Paint

Interesting notes... but Brock Virtue ain't going anywhere. Not this year at least. I'd pick Jamie Koe before I pick Virtue for wildcard. Those Koes are dangerous.

Here's a rundown for today's events:
-Hot Shots finals this morning (right now, actually)
-Draw one: NO vs NT, NB vs QC, NS vs NL, SK vs PE
-Draw two: NL vs PE, AB vs MB, NT vs NB, ON vs BC

Thoughts on today's events: http://www.curlingscoops.com/news/2...er-opening-day/

Old Post 03-02-13 11:53AM
Smallsey42
Harvey Hacksmasher

Brier trivia

I was disappointed in the other trivia posted here this week, so here are some questions for you. If you like them, I'll post more during the week.

1. Who won the first Hot Shots in 1995?

2. When one player takes to the ice today, he will equal the all-time record of representing the most different provinces/jurisdictions in his Brier career. Who is the player, which provinces/jurisdictions has he represented and whose record will he equal? Hint: the man tying the record will have to play the son of the man who set the record.

3. There are three Canadian junior championship rinks (one won it twice) that each have members on two separate provincial teams at this year’s Brier, name the teams and the players.

4. There are two curlers on two separate teams who both won the Canadian junior championship for the same skip but in different years. Name them.

5. There are members (fifth included) of one World junior championship team spread across three teams at this Brier. Who are they and what teams do they play for.

6. This is Glenn Howard’s 15th Brier, how many times in the past has he not made the Brier playoffs?

7. How many Briers finals has Glenn Howard played in?

Old Post 03-02-13 12:14PM
Smallsey42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smallsey42 Click here to Send Smallsey42 a Private Message Find more posts by Smallsey42 Add Smallsey42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Re: Brier trivia

quote:
Originally posted by Smallsey42
here are some questions for you. If you like them, I'll post more during the week.

Wild Guesses:
R.Howard
R.Fry. MB NL NO Folk
Martin Stoughton Virtue - Morris Carruthers Moskowy
ghh. eastern names..
dunno
4 times
4 finals

Okay lots wrong. wanna see the answers. fun. ty

Old Post 03-02-13 12:50PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ObsessiveCurler
Administrator

Re: Brier trivia

quote:
Originally posted by Smallsey42
I was disappointed in the other trivia posted here this week, so here are some questions for you. If you like them, I'll post more during the week.

1-Brad Heidt?
2-Ryan Fry, represented MB,NL,NONT. He will equal Earle Morris' record who represented ON,MB,QC
3-NB(Roach brothers),AB(Morris),ON(Laing,Savill)
4-Morris(AB),Laing and Savill(ON)
5-Gushue(NL),Morris(AB),Laing and Savill(ON) of 1998?
6-He has always made the playoffs
7-86,87,92,93,94,06,07,08,10,11,12 = 11?

Old Post 03-02-13 01:25PM
ObsessiveCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ObsessiveCurler Click here to Send ObsessiveCurler a Private Message Find more posts by ObsessiveCurler Add ObsessiveCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

No surprises in this draw. But whoever was throwing last rock for NS needs to go and take curling 101 again.

Old Post 03-02-13 06:51PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

Wonderful draw by Brock to win the game. First Brier, in an extra end with the pressure on and he draws full four foot. Thats got to be a great feeling to walk off the ice with.

Old Post 03-02-13 06:56PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

They're using a new set of CCA rocks this year at the Brier. Were the same rocks used in the Scotties? Could be interesting if some "inside" information on the new stones was being passed on to the competing teams - surely SK, ON and NT have primary sources for rock data!

Old Post 03-02-13 07:21PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout
They're using a new set of CCA rocks this year at the Brier. Were the same rocks used in the Scotties? Could be interesting if some "inside" information on the new stones was being passed on to the competing teams - surely SK, ON and NT have primary sources for rock data!

Got word from Kim at Canada Curling Stone that the rocks at the Scotties were the same stones used at the Slams, while the stones here at the Brier are new from Kays of Scotland, a new set.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 03-02-13 09:41PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

very tricky stones it seems

Old Post 03-02-13 09:52PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curller
Harvey Hacksmasher

The stones they are using are the same ones that were used in fort Mac for the jr's they mentioned it during the women's final that they would be used at the brier.

Old Post 03-02-13 10:29PM
curller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curller Click here to Send curller a Private Message Find more posts by curller Add curller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ObsessiveCurler
Administrator

Wowza, there's been some super sweeping tonight from Kennedy and Heebz. They just made the draw to the pin for a single :worship:

Old Post 03-02-13 10:41PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

"This is really bad!"

Old Post 03-02-13 11:33PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Jeff cracked first. Despite coming up inches heavy time after time, he had control of the game. So what does he do - he abdicates the advantage by trying a wild cross-house double and flips martin a single.

Stoughton 1 down coming home, can't get anything going and now Martin has to make his final stone in an extra to take the duke.

Unless Martin has an impossible shot, he'll make it. Or if he gets Troll Trulsen's Disease!

Old Post 03-02-13 11:39PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Johnny Mo barfs up a couple zeros.

Stoughton now is over-thinking his rock placement.

As long as Martin has a piece of button or an angle tap/hit he'll greedy up the win!

Old Post 03-02-13 11:42PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Jeff picks up the routine extra end win vs. K-Mart....

Old Post 03-02-13 11:48PM