Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

Curling Scores

Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Boston Pizza Cup 2019

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-10-19 03:22PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Hitting Paint

Nice win for the Koe boys, they had their struggles early on but b bounced back nicely.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-10-19 08:47PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

Anyone else just see the illegal sweep by hebert? Swept the bejesus out of the rock waaaaayy before it crossed tline. Koe's last in 8 barely nicked appleman rock ABOVE the tline and he jumped on it like it was the last scoop of mashed at the buffet. Appleman should have thrown the hip into him. Vote him most sportsmanlike player. Not his first sweeping incident. Ask Richard Hart.

02-10-19 09:06PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Appelman loses ONE game in the provincials. EEEK

02-10-19 09:08PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

BOTCHER gets a high 5

What a great weekend of curling. Prob better than the brier will be

02-10-19 09:19PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Hitting Paint

Congrats to Team Koe! Also great sowing by Appelman. Great day of following Curling with a few favorites puling through (Koe, Macruthers, Jamie Koe) and a sort of upset (though I was rooting for him) in Kirk Muyres.

02-10-19 09:19PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

you know..this is just disappointing. for me anyway. i was really hoping for appelman and lyburn. i dont know,im just tired of watching the same people all the time at the brier. its fun to watch new people break through and accomplish their dream. plus its nice to see new faces on the biggest stage

its no knock against mcewen or koe, they deserved to win .

at the same time this backdoor wild card game is bull****. i will never like it. if you're going to have it there needs to be some kind oif requirement. like you need to make the final.

i just will never understand anyway why someone like bottcher deserves a 2nd shot at getting to hte brier over someone like lyburn or appelman. this game is already giving enough benefits and advantages to top teams and here's another one

02-10-19 09:24PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Brandon Brier will truly be a MONSTERS BALL; one of the best fields in history

Koe
Gushue
Jacobs
Carruthers/McEwen
Bottcher or Epping (play-in)
Jamie Koe (Life of the Party)
Martin Crete
Jim Cotter

All the usual suspects present and accounted for.

A few I'll personally miss.

Giant Moskowy, who defected from Reid's team and couldn't coax a final win for his skip Matty Dunstone, losing to Muyres on last brick.

Obviously Glenn Howard, who at 57 is still viciously competitive but not quite able to take things over the top in Ontario.

The biggest single name missing = John Morris; 2nd biggest - Marc Kennedy

Best Manitoba feel good stories - McEwen repping in his original hometown of Brandon.
BJ Neufeld hooking up with one of curling's GREATEST MONSTERS, Kevin Koe.

Early line should favour Gushue & Koe w/ Jacobs next, McEwen/Reid nipping at their heels.

If Bottcher gets in then he and Mr. Popcorn (Moulding) will seed in at #3 moving McEwen down for sure - possibly even Jacobs.

02-10-19 09:37PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

Derek Samaglski now calls Brandon home. Moved here in the off season.

02-10-19 09:41PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
you know..this is just disappointing. for me anyway. i was really hoping for appelman and lyburn. i dont know,im just tired of watching the same people all the time at the brier. its fun to watch new people break through and accomplish their dream. plus its nice to see new faces on the biggest stage

at the same time this backdoor wild card game is bull****. i will never like it. if you're going to have it there needs to be some kind oif requirement. like you need to make the final.

i just will never understand anyway why someone like bottcher deserves a 2nd shot at getting to hte brier over someone like lyburn or appelman. this game is already giving enough benefits and advantages to top teams and here's another one

I was pulling for Lyburn too, someone different. From Brandon. I don't think either of the Manitoba teams that were in the final will win the Brier, so thought it would be nice for Lyburn also.

02-10-19 09:56PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

I agree with you...we see enough of the slam teams time for someone new. What an unfortunate 5 in 9 for Appleman...

02-10-19 10:02PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

I like to see the best from each province. I believe we got that, don’t know about the maritimes though.

02-10-19 10:11PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

television taking over the best part of curling

they tried to put the pros in 10 years ago - they finally got their way

and gushue hosting lol

most due to warren hansen

sucking the life out of 100,000 curlers so 20 players and 50 tv celebs could get rich

02-10-19 10:31PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

Partially agree Fresca. There's about 1500 clubs in Canada and many are dying. Not all to blame on the elite of the elite but CC has put such a priority on the Olympics, and has bent, broken rules to have teams compete so the CC execs can keep their jobs. TV has put the squeeze on to get "popular" "tv faces" to play in slams and championships. Competitive teams around the country are down 80% the last 10-15 years from teams amalgamating, players "moving" provinces, and players just plain giving up because they can no longer compete against the professionals while juggling work and family and limited vacation time. Not everyone has sponsors to covers 60-70 days no pay. I do this semi rant a couple times a year but it still rings true. And before the CC execs hop on and make their first or 2nd post, don't bother, it's just too obvious.

Also very happy any time a new team makes it to the brier or Scotties. Fresh faces are good for the sport, gives the up and comers a slight hope of winning.

02-10-19 11:22PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Partially agree Fresca. There's about 1500 clubs in Canada and many are dying. Not all to blame on the elite of the elite but CC has put such a priority on the Olympics, and has bent, broken rules to have teams compete so the CC execs can keep their jobs. TV has put the squeeze on to get "popular" "tv faces" to play in slams and championships. Competitive teams around the country are down 80% the last 10-15 years from teams amalgamating, players "moving" provinces, and players just plain giving up because they can no longer compete against the professionals while juggling work and family and limited vacation time. Not everyone has sponsors to covers 60-70 days no pay. I do this semi rant a couple times a year but it still rings true. And before the CC execs hop on and make their first or 2nd post, don't bother, it's just too obvious.

Also very happy any time a new team makes it to the brier or Scotties. Fresh faces are good for the sport, gives the up and comers a slight hope of winning.

Tremendous post IO2 - but let me take you on a journey thru time . . .
When Ken Watson first showed up at the 1936 Brier - WHO KNEW?
When Garnet Campbell arrived at the 1947 Brier - WHO KNEW?
When Matt Baldwin (age 27) first showed up at the 1954 Brier - WHO KNEW?
When Ernie Richardson first showed up at the 1959 Brier - WHO KNEW?
When Don Duguid first showed up (as a skip) at the 1970 Brier - WHO KNEW?
When Jeff Stoughton first showed up at the Brier - WHO KNEW
Kevin Martin - WHO KNEW?
Kevin Koe - WHO KNEW?
Brad Gushue - WHO KNEW?
Brad Jacobs - WHO KNEW?

Guys had to show up at their first Brier - and sadly most of them had their last go by in time!

There is a legend to the Brier!
As a fan, as a player, as a broadcaster . . . .

Cherish every shot, every minute, every sad miss, every great shot, every heartbreak, every uplift.

This is Our Canada! This is Our Curling!

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 02-10-19 at 11:35PM

02-10-19 11:36PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

So as an obvious proponent for the brier and it's history and lore, how do you feel about all the changes these last 5 years. You've been around for what seems like 50 years or more right? Adding Team Canada, Team BSCTRS, relegation, watching 20-30 redcoats make their way around the arena, 3 rocks, 4 rocks 5 rocks, 6 rocks, no rocks, 12 ends, 10 ends, 8 ends. Draw the button for the win? WTF?

AND, is recreational and semi competitve curling dying in clubs across the country?

02-11-19 07:43AM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

was watching harris and gushue and another clown just now from the head office team of rogers

turns to gushue and says

" so you and jennifer jones are carrying the rogers colors into the scot and briar "

makes me want to puke

why am i paying these people $15 a month

02-11-19 07:55AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
So as an obvious proponent for the brier and it's history and lore, how do you feel about all the changes these last 5 years. You've been around for what seems like 50 years or more right? Adding Team Canada, Team BSCTRS, relegation, watching 20-30 redcoats make their way around the arena, 3 rocks, 4 rocks 5 rocks, 6 rocks, no rocks, 12 ends, 10 ends, 8 ends. Draw the button for the win? WTF?

AND, is recreational and semi competitve curling dying in clubs across the country?

The Brier is still the Brier - the most wonderful curling event in the storied history of the sport. Olympic drama is #2, distant 3rd is worlds.

But you're definitely right IO2 - club and recreational curling are being punished for the sings of our fathers. The arrival of the red-coats at events like the Brier & STOH are a reminder of how the grassroots of our sport are being stomped on in the interest of personal privilege. As fresca stated somewhere else - Warren Hansen is the major reason the grassroot got dirted.

Before my time Brier games were 12 ends, there was no playoff system, no FGZ, no 5 rock rule, no draws to the button for playoff positioning, no plowing w/ sturdy trowel brushes, no 300-350 day training regimens, etc.

Just curling. Good ol fashioned curling - same as they played at the club level.

Will it return to days of y'or? Fat chance!

But if curling is going to be crippled at the low to middle levels - and its great legacies of Briers, Scotties, Consols, Hearts, etc. are also crippled - I'd still rather have one component (you choose) thriving.

Either the TV Super Curling or the Grassroots.

02-11-19 08:08AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

I was pulling for Lyburn too, someone different. From Brandon. I don't think either of the Manitoba teams that were in the final will win the Brier, so thought it would be nice for Lyburn also.

I'm glad we don't have to watch Daley Peters' antics all week in Brandon.

02-11-19 08:37AM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

I have to agree with you on that!!

02-11-19 08:47AM
Island Roger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Island Roger Find more posts by Island Roger Add Island Roger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Island Roger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Hard to know which side of the argument to take on this.

On the one hand shouldn't the Brier / Scotties winners be from a pool of the best curlers in the world no matter what it takes ?

On the other hand I hate seeing teams circumvent the rules by taking up temporary residences & enrolling in classes they never attend just push the average joe aside that is a fantastic curler but needs to work 9 to 5 like the rest of us.

I was definitely rooting for the underdogs yesterday so I guess my votes has been cast.

02-11-19 10:29AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

One more word about SUPERSTAR CURLING vs. GRASSROOTS CURLING

When I was growing up I watched 2 sports fairly intensely - Canadian curling & PGA Golf.

Earliest memories of curling was the weekend curling instruction show from Alberta featuring Wally Ursuliak, circa perhaps 1962-63; then watched some local Consols finals in Manitoba around 1964, featuring Gary Ross vs. Bruce Hudson.

Then had my dad drag me to a couple curling clubs to watch games involving Terry Braunstein & Bob Picken, around 1967-68.

Finally got into hi-school curling around 1968. Most recent memories were Donny Flatt winning Manitoba hi-school curling championship on radio (Bob Picken), then watching Alf Phillips, Jr. and Ron Northcott winning Briers.

The combination of Northcott's immense intelligence combined with the brute force of Bernie Sparkes & Jim Shields bending straw and turning air into noise impressed me very much.

Finally got to see curling live in an arena setting when Brier came to Winnipeg in 1970 and seeing stars like Rod Hunter, Jim Pettapiece, Lyall Dagg, Duguid, Hec Gervais, PeeWee Pickering, Garnet Campbell, etc. and I WAS HOOKED.

Won a couple hi-school events, joined a club (clubs were big in my day) and eventually won a university championship before moving to Saskatchewan and getting involved in curling coverage and administration. Curled and communed with all the names - Folk, Keyes, Pickering, Burtnyk, Wood, Fink, Pettapiece, Big O, Brian Moffatt, Keith Kyle, Brian Fowler, Professor Neil Andrews, Don Pottinger, etc.

but it was the 1970 Brier and all the allure attached to it that got me into the sport. (So now you've got something to blame, huh?)

As for golf, watched on old black 'n white TV in the late 50s and early 60s where the fields were littered with names like Miller Barber, Billy Casper, Don January, Palmer, Nicklaus, Sam Snead, Ben Hogan, Gardner Dickenson, etc.

Started playing golf in the backyard and within 5 years had a handicap of 10 prior to age 17.

02-11-19 10:30AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

Yeah, the comment in my living room was "Drama Queen". And "not my fault"

02-11-19 11:37AM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

Yeah, the comment in my living room was "Drama Queen". And "not my fault"

There was a classic exchange between Peters and Lyburn. The shot involved an opposition rock partly buried around an opposition corner guard (can't recall if it was the Gunnlaugson game or the McEwen game). Lyburn wants to play the hack weight shot at the partly open rock. Peters is dead-set on the guard run-through. Peters says, "I think I'm gonna make the run-through. Don't you think I'm gonna make it?" Classic case of trying to force the skip to play that shot instead of the obviously better hack weight call. That being said, it's never a good idea to have a player play a shot they don't want to play, they just better make the shot they want, which, in this case, Peters did not....

Were you able to mute the "F" bombs from Peters soon enough in your living room? I caught two - one very obvious one and one that SportsNet was almost able to fade out...

02-11-19 01:58PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Felt bad for Appelman. Best team for 4 games and 6 ends. Then disaster.

02-11-19 02:20PM
MeaghanEdwards
Hitting Paint

There is a nice consolation prize for Appelman, however -- he has been chosen to be Koe's Fifth for the Brier.

https://twitter.com/TeamKevinKoe/st...018851673075712

Last edited by MeaghanEdwards on 02-11-19 at 02:27PM